Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #181
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think Elon looks like an Alien.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I think Elon looks like an Alien.
Wouldn't surprise me... They are introducing technology slowly to the human race in order to bring us up to their standards... Same was true of Andy Grove of Intel.

Actually, I think that Toyota Chick, Jan, looks a lot like the alien at the end of Close Encounters when she raises her skinny arms at the end of every commercial...
Old 11-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
If they don't fall in line, they may get 0 $$$...
Again, I know these people and I know how they get research money and salary. It is not dependent on them tilting the scale to come up with pre-determined conclusions. That is a myth with zero basis in fact. That's all. Have a wonderful day.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
And look! He's introducing a School bus too! https://genesiustimes.com/elon-musk-...sUOgZ3rkXiHLbU
Old 11-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #185
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
GM just announced their electric truck will be available 2021; Ford will have an electric F150 in 2021 as well.
The floodgate is opening; you know why? If 200,000 people are crazy enough to place $100.00 deposits on the Cybertruck, let alone the thousands of $1,000.00 dollar deposits on Rivian products, what manufacturer wouldn't want to tap that.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Again, I know these people and I know how they get research money and salary. It is not dependent on them tilting the scale to come up with pre-determined conclusions. That is a myth with zero basis in fact.
All knowing is incredibly powerful...I am impressed...
Old 11-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
For our members fond of conspiracies

Here's one for you.

Oil and gas companies, among the richest in human history with money, literally to burn, fully understand that the narrative of climate change is an existential threat to their core business and way of life. They are the ones with real skin in the game.

Do you think Exon-Mobile (by itself richer than most countries) is going to look the other way when the scientific community starts to connect the dots and link the burning of fossil fuels to the rise of greenhouse gasses in our atomosphere that trap thermal radiation resulting in concentraions of Carbon not seen in over 500 million years?

Look what happened when the Lead industry was similarly threatened by science last century, or Big Tobacco. (Spoiler alert, a massive misinformation campaign and intense lobbying in the halls of power -- and those cats were not nearly in the same class as Big Oil)

Who buys commercials that run on Fox News? Scientists? How long are you going to drink the Crude-aid? Wake up people.

See how easy that was? Note the lack of evidence, but I could always whip some up if you need, and I am fully prepared to distract, lie, misdirect, question and sow doubt and confusion into the public discussion, especially if I can get attention or even better, some support from our friends in high places who have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. Let the propaganda wars rage.

Or you could choose not to fall into their trap. They know they won't win in the end, because Truth usually outs in the end. But if they can delay it for a generation or two, ride the gravy train to retirement, Ok. "I got mine, screw you" seems to be the overriding attitude here.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
If anyone thinks RV campground power is unreliable now, wait until you have a few of these plugged in. There is a reason that some campgrounds outright ban charging EVs, they are not adequately designed to support sustained 10KW loads for hours on end per campsite. The take away will be increased costs or lost campgrounds, as most are not going to be proactive enough to have metering infrastructure in place...and when they do, you will now get an incremental charge for how much power your A/C consumes.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:49 PM   #189

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Yes, but!
Musk is only requiring a $100 deposit, so the 200K orders (146K in two days) could end up being 50K real production orders.
Yup but what a way to raise $20 million interest free quickly.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:55 PM   #190

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

There are some that say it’s an ugly looking vehicle, but I don’t care what it looks like. 179,000 miles on it and we plan to keep it until the wheels fall off.
Mine is 15 years old with 263,000 miles on it I wad hoping for 300,000 but I don't think I will make it. Boy have I saved a lot of cost in gas over the years, I may not hug trees but I pinch my wallet.

Thanks
Matti
Old 11-27-2019, 04:23 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
If anyone thinks RV campground power is unreliable now, wait until you have a few of these plugged in. There is a reason that some campgrounds outright ban charging EVs, they are not adequately designed to support sustained 10KW loads for hours on end per campsite. The take away will be increased costs or lost campgrounds, as most are not going to be proactive enough to have metering infrastructure in place...and when they do, you will now get an incremental charge for how much power your A/C consumes.
It doesn’t take 10kW to charge an EV on slow charge. And campground infrastructure already needs upgrading. Lost campgrounds? Maybe lost customers if they don’t upgrade?
Old 11-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
GM just announced their electric truck will be available 2021; Ford will have an electric F150 in 2021 as well.
The floodgate is opening; you know why?
Yes.
Because capitalism is best at giving people what they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Just because you do not understand the science religion does not mean it is incorrect.
Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I am glad companies are experimenting with electric vehicles.
Me too!
Quote:
There is a climate crisis now. If we as a planet continue in our ways, Many major cities will be lost, all those pretty beachfront properties will be far under water and no stilts will help, south Florida will disappear, whole countries will be underwater and tens of millions of refugees will be starving and fighting for resources.
Better alert Al Gore and Bernie Sanders. Both just bought waterfront property. Oh, and Barak Obama just bought a home on Martha's Vineyard. Are they all rolling the dice?
Old 11-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The writing is on the wall for petrolium based vehicles. Here in California bans on registration of these vehicles and bans on sale of gas/diesel are actively under consideration. Either through outright bans or extreme high fees and taxes. Ideas like this won't stop in California. Advocates are no fans of electric vehicles as others on this forum have noted their environmental costs to build and recharge. Also EVs continue to propogate suburban and rural land use and it's associated high carbon footprints. The lowest carbon footprint lifestyle is high density development in urban areas and mass transit without vehicle ownership. I don't think I'll live long enough to see this change but it's coming. Enjoy camping in our airstreams. It's a luxery of this time that may not be available to future generations.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #194
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tesla Pickup Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Mine is 15 years old with 263,000 miles on it I wad hoping for 300,000 but I don't think I will make it. Boy have I saved a lot of cost in gas over the years, I may not hug trees but I pinch my wallet.

Thanks
Matti

There is one in our area with 500,000 miles on the original battery and drivetrain. The key seems to be doing maintenance as needed. My dealer maintains it, and reports no issues with that or any other Prius as long as maintenance is done on schedule.

I’m not a serious tree hugger, but yeah, the Prius is easy on the wallet.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #195
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad;
Better alert Al Gore and Bernie Sanders. Both just bought waterfront property. Oh, and Barak Obama just bought a home on Martha's Vineyard. Are they all rolling the dice?
In 2010
Old 11-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The writing is on the wall for petrolium based vehicles. Here in California bans on registration of these vehicles and bans on sale of gas/diesel are actively under consideration. Either through outright bans or extreme high fees and taxes. Ideas like this won't stop in California. Advocates are no fans of electric vehicles as others on this forum have noted their environmental costs to build and recharge. Also EVs continue to propogate suburban and rural land use and it's associated high carbon footprints. The lowest carbon footprint lifestyle is high density development in urban areas and mass transit without vehicle ownership. I don't think I'll live long enough to see this change but it's coming. Enjoy camping in our airstreams. It's a luxery of this time that may not be available to future generations.
Maybe that’s why people and employers are leaving Kalifornia?
Old 11-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I just find it interesting that, for all the doom and gloom about the environment, people who have those concerns are plentiful in the RV world. RVing is probably one of the worst hobbies there is in terms of carbon footprint. And that’s not likely to change anytime soon.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"RVing is probably one of the worst hobbies there is in terms of carbon footprint."

Maybe. Maybe not. We are in one of the trailers or the other 6 months of the year. Our combined utility bills are less during the trailer months then while at home. It does not take much to heat or cool 150 square feet in a moderate climate. We had the AC on in the trailer maybe 4 days in 4 months this last summer. We used 3 tanks of propane in 3 months last winter in Fl. I do burn a lot of diesel fuel during some short periods. But....we drive a whole lot while at home too.

Life has a footprint. Big houses in hot or cold climates and lots of travel on airplanes strike me as more consumption than RV ing on a budget. Sitting in your 4000 square foot house reading a book may be more consumptive than driving a RV.

If you look at your home heating and cooling bill, your auto fuel bill, and your airline bill, it does give some indication of your carbon footprint.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #199

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
"RVing is probably one of the worst hobbies there is in terms of carbon footprint."

Maybe. Maybe not. We are in one of the trailers or the other 6 months of the year. Our combined utility bills are less during the trailer months then while at home. It does not take much to heat or cool 150 square feet in a moderate climate. We had the AC on in the trailer maybe 4 days in 4 months this last summer. We used 3 tanks of propane in 3 months last winter in Fl. I do burn a lot of diesel fuel during some short periods. But....we drive a whole lot while at home too.

Life has a footprint. Big houses in hot or cold climates and lots of travel on airplanes strike me as more consumption than RV ing on a budget. Sitting in your 4000 square foot house reading a book may be more consumptive than driving a RV.

If you look at your home heating and cooling bill, your auto fuel bill, and your airline bill, it does give some indication of your carbon footprint.
Maybe an argument can be made for some full timers who don’t move around much, but there are a lot of other variables to consider: energy efficiency of your home vs an Airstream, whether mass transportation (airline travel) is more efficient on a per passenger-mile basis than a private vehicle, etc. I think you know the answers.

Living in the N GA mountains, it can get cold in the winter and does get hot in the summer. I think the highest electricity use I can recall is $150 monthly. That’s only about 2 tanks of diesel! When at home we primarily drive out Toyota Camry hybrid...40MPG.

But let’s not kid ourselves. Most AS owners have homes and pull their trailers (or drive motor homes) on vacation....that’s why they put wheels on ‘em. It’s a net increase in carbon footprint.

It’s hard to take someone seriously who travels around in an RV and then worries about Miami being underwater in a few years because of CO2.
Closed Thread