Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #481
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Just thinking about towing a camper with a Cybertruck. This concept is not going to work very well until there are pull-through charge stations available. I don't think local gas stations will be putting them in since it takes a lot of space and the charge islands will be occupied for long periods of time. The best bet is truck stops, but they're not going to put them in until electric semi's are in use. And even then they will have to charge top dollar for a recharge. So the question becomes, when are we going to see electric semi's on the road?
Old 12-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #482
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Just thinking about towing a camper with a Cybertruck. This concept is not going to work very well until there are pull-through charge stations available. I don't think local gas stations will be putting them in since it takes a lot of space and the charge islands will be occupied for long periods of time. The best bet is truck stops, but they're not going to put them in until electric semi's are in use. And even then they will have to charge top dollar for a recharge. So the question becomes, when are we going to see electric semi's on the road?
We have now encountered several truck stops who have added Tesla charging stations. Not for semi's, but I believe that will come as the tesla semi gets on the road. A lot of the turnpikes rest stops are adding them also. I would imagine Tesla will start by adding one or two pull-throughs at their existing locations if possible. Tesla has developed a semi that pulls a charging station (eight ports I believe) that can charge 100 cars. There are many possibilities as time goes by.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
Old 12-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #483
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Has Tesla released details on their dual motor rear axle setup, for the Roadster, Model S, or Cybertruck? I assumed that if all models of the Cybertruck had the same load capacity, that the dual motor rear drive unit would probably be similar in layout to the single motor rear drive unit.
Most of it is speculation at this point and there hasn't been much detail from Tesla other than the plaid configuration is being developed in a Model S prototype currently. With likely application to the Roadster, S, X, and Cybertruck. But not the 3 or the Y.

Credible sources and sleuthing have suggested that the dual motor is on the rear axle (could plausibly be front?), in a tri-motor setup. It would likely be independent drive at the rear with a motor per wheel. This would allow one of the holy grails to dynamic performance which is true torque vectoring without brake application/diff clutch plates, and the associated heat limitations with those strategies. To overdrive the outside wheel in a turn, or drag an inner wheel. With possibilities to counterdrive wheels to help turning radius in off-road situations. Or independent fine control of each wheel for traction in braking or acceleration. This type of stability or even sway control is beyond anything currently.

Dual motor independent drive on an axle would negate the need for a differential. Perhaps like what's being done on the Semi. If Tesla's current stuff is any indication, they like the handle things in software, and simplify mechanical items where unnecessary.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #484
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
So what about the bulletproof feature of the Cybertruck? What do you think of that? Part of me wonders if Musk sees a Mad Max lifestyle in our future. Do guys, city guys who are probably the primary customer who want the tough image, want bulletproofing?
So it turns out that when Tesla started out to make a pick up truck, they went all the way to the fundamentals of what the vehicle should do. They wanted to start with a clean sheet of paper rather than update a century old design.

One of the things they discovered was that guys who actually used pickups at work sites often had cracked windows from flying rocks.

So they thought they'd do something about it. Evidently the glass they use is more resistant to flying rocks, but saying it'll stop a 9mm bullet is sexier than saying it'll resist cracking from flying rocks. But glass is still glass, and even though they did the demo like 50 times in rehearsal with no problems, the glass cracked live on stage. Twice.

But what I found more impressive was the strength of the stainless steel body. Nice how a sledge hammer didn't dent it. And it doesn't need painting, meaning it doesn't fade or need retouching. I could have benefitted from that this summer when someone in a parking lot evidently dented and scraped one of my doors
Old 12-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #485
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , Montana
We sand the roads here in the winter... my wife’s Audi takes many hits and while there are some little divots it has only cracked once in 9 years.. my new GMC took one in the first month of driving and another recently. Bad luck, angle, whatever it is trucks around here almost always have cracked glass. I swear that Audi has a better piece of glass and as an SUV has a similar angle... and my GMc cost 50% more and can’t match the glass quality.

If Tesla is going to spend more money on glass so it isn’t so cheap that it breaks with the first rock off the road when the snow flys I would consider that a super useful feature. Trucks these days seem to put the dollars in bullshit interior features only while cheapening door panels with wavy aluminum, paint that scratches with the slightest touch and frames that bend when you put the truck on a lift to change the tires. I would love to see the needle swing back the other way a bit and Tesla rubbing other manufacturers noses in it might be just the thing to get it done. Even if I don’t buy a Tesla their influence on making my next GMC not a pansy leather wrapped rip off but more of a real truck like they used to build will be a good thing.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #486

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Temporarily closed. Housekeeping in progress.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread