Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Thumbs up Tesla Pickup Truck

I thought I'd start a thread for those of us looking forward to a Tesla pickup truck as a Airstream tow vehicle.

Supposedly out around 2020, but Tesla routinely misses target dates.

The Tesla Pickup Truck, described by CEO Elon Musk as the project “that I am personally most fired up about,” could be a bigger project than expected. Musk revealed on his Twitter page Monday that the company has a general priority list, and the as-yet-unrevealed Pickup Truck ranks higher than two projects set to hit the roads in the coming years.

Musk talked about it being a 6-seater “big truck” with an option for 400 to 500 miles of range, “maybe higher”.

With most RV parks having un-metered electrical hookups, will the advent of electric vehicle change that?
Old 11-23-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Nice thread, thanks!

"Tesla pickup truck" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=Tesl...nt=firefox-b-1

This concept drawing of a regular pickup in the bed of the Tesla gives a sense of scale.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/2/1...ner-futuristic

This Tesla "pickup truck" is a behemoth! And AWD?

Yes, campgrounds will have to change their pricing schedules!

Peter

PS -- FYI -- other EV threads here:

EV tow vehicle: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...le-169483.html
Tesla X as TV: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...=airforums.com

FYI
Old 11-23-2018, 06:38 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Just make an offer on the Semi from a few years back. 😳👍

Bob
Old 11-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ugh. Why not more of a towing machine - say a station wagon with space for people, dogs and stuff without the pick’m’up look? He has a chance to do something amazing here....hold the cartoons, give me something practical!
Old 11-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Ugh. Why not more of a towing machine - say a station wagon with space for people, dogs and stuff without the pick’m’up look? He has a chance to do something amazing here....hold the cartoons, give me something practical!
On one hand, that monstrosity won't fit in the underground tube superhighway that Musk keeps telling everyone will be open uh... real soon! On the other hand with a couple minor modifications it will make an excellent daily driver once he colonizes Mars... real soon!
Old 11-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
We are waiting for Hydrogen power. The making of batteries and disposal of, toxic.

Best regards and safe travels.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
We are waiting for Hydrogen power. The making of batteries and disposal of, toxic.

Best regards and safe travels.
The making of everything is toxic in some way. Metal in and of itself requires huge energy to produce.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 11-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Interesting conversation after TGD. The older S is now getting some love as being cost effective. The battery packs are degraded, but still good enough for what a lot of folks need on a daily basis and the price point is less than a 3. Pat
Old 11-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #9

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Nice thread, thanks!

"Tesla pickup truck" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=Tesl...nt=firefox-b-1

This concept drawing of a regular pickup in the bed of the Tesla gives a sense of scale.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/2/1...ner-futuristic

This Tesla "pickup truck" is a behemoth! And AWD?

Yes, campgrounds will have to change their pricing schedules!

Peter

PS -- FYI -- other EV threads here:

EV tow vehicle: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...le-169483.html
Tesla X as TV: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...=airforums.com

FYI
With a slight bed extension I can put my 25' in the bed. Why tow?
Old 11-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . or an Avion C-10 camper?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...10-122158.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=avio...=airforums.com
Old 11-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Way off topic but how awesome would it be to have that puppy in your truck bed while also towing your favorite AS? Dang!!
Old 11-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
The making of everything is toxic in some way. Metal in and of itself requires huge energy to produce.

Agree, however some are much greater than others. Kind of like risk. If you have a choice between high risk and low risk, which would you choose? Me I am of low risk if possible person. However I guess if you are not living on the edge then you are taking up to much space? Still not going to buy an electric vehicle to tow our AS.

Best regards and safe travels
Old 11-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Way off topic but how awesome would it be to have that puppy in your truck bed while also towing your favorite AS? Dang!!
I’ve passed on a few of those. And the even more rare Silver Streak models.

COG problems are unreal.

DRW pickups are a joke. Okay for a gooseneck livestock trailer.

But to use one of those campers you need to move to a medium duty truck, not these little light duty jobs. If also towing the trailer is the plan. In which case it’d be a helluva rig.

Does the latest TESLA TOASTER enable occupants to exit the burning vehicle? And will it exist without government subsidy?

Elon is a crook. Just more twisted than others of his ilk.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
. . .
Does the latest TESLA TOASTER enable occupants to exit the burning vehicle?
. . .
That was exactly my immediate first reaction, when I got in to test drive a Model X a couple of years ago.

No thanks!

Peter
Old 11-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Agree, however some are much greater than others. Kind of like risk. If you have a choice between high risk and low risk, which would you choose? Me I am of low risk if possible person. However I guess if you are not living on the edge then you are taking up to much space? Still not going to buy an electric vehicle to tow our AS.

Best regards and safe travels
Not me either but I drove an electric pickup for a couple years. Couldn’t tow much but it was a cheap ride to work. We also ran our 6.2 diesels on waste cooking oil. Got me through the $4 a gallon days. Neighbors thought I was an environmentalist. Nope, just like to try different stuff.

If I had the cash and garage space my daily driver would be an EV. And I would tow with my Dodge.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #16

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Got me through the $4 a gallon days. Neighbors thought I was an environmentalist. Nope, just like to try different stuff.

If I had the cash and garage space my daily driver would be an EV. And I would tow with my Dodge.
Had fun with many a coworker when gas was high $4 low $5 a gallon gas when I walked into thr office saying, "Been two weeks since I filled up, can't believe it cost me $50 to fill up."
Quote:
Not me either but I drove an electric pickup for a couple years. Couldn’t tow much but it was a cheap ride to work. We also ran our 6.2 diesels on waste cooking oil. Got me through the $4 a gallon days. Neighbors thought I was an environmentalist. Nope, just like to try different stuff.

Quote:
Got me through the $4 a gallon days. Neighbors thought I was an environmentalist. Nope, just like to try different stuff.

Had fun with many a coworker when gas was high $4 low $5 a gallon gas when I walked into thr office saying, "Been two weeks since I filled up, can't believe it cost me $50 to fill up."

Quote:

Quote:

Had fun with many a coworker when gas was high $4 low $5 a gallon gas when I walked into the office saying, "Been two weeks since I filled up, can't believe it cost me $50 to fill up," in full ear shoot of those who made fun of me for buying my Prius knowing they pay three times that much weekly.
Environmentalism can be economical also, as was shown by the shift from gas hogs to gas misers in the parking lot by those commute.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tesla Pickup Truck

Yup. Daily commute vehicle is a ‘12 Prius that gets a steady 50 MPG or better on my daily commute.

See lots of hybrids and the like up here in the desert.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
This could be a good business idea it reminds me of the airstream on the barge thing.
Air stream free camper
https://youtu.be/3vp4oWP9n8A
Old 11-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Until 100% of the energy cost from being created at the very start to point of use is factored in and balanced against what we have now for fuel I see it as a shell game. What are the costs associated with generating the electricity and storage in vehicles, that would include lead mining, metal mining, disposal at the end of life, and including line loss to run these things. Maybe the future but the current trend of only looking at the cost at the vehicle bothers me.
Currently Prius batteries are being moved into less critical need situations as they retire. However, what happens when they can't be sold cheap into a home backup situation because they don't hold any charge and have to be disposed of? Any of you with more knowledge than me on batteries and cost to generate electricity please answer my questions and the cost of electric generation from a financial and environmental perspective.!!! Until then I see it as a government subsidized feel good situation....except for Elon Musk is is laughing all the way to the bank.
What I would really like to see from both the electric and dino fuel world is a 100% end to end analysis of costs and benefits. Now I am in my happy world as I realize neither side will do this unless it is to there advantage.
So now we are back on thread with a bit of wonder where it is going and hope....
Old 11-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #20
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Until 100% of the energy cost from being created at the very start to point of use is factored in and balanced against what we have now for fuel I see it as a shell game. What are the costs associated with generating the electricity and storage in vehicles, that would include lead mining, metal mining, disposal at the end of life, and including line loss to run these things. Maybe the future but the current trend of only looking at the cost at the vehicle bothers me.
Currently Prius batteries are being moved into less critical need situations as they retire. However, what happens when they can't be sold cheap into a home backup situation because they don't hold any charge and have to be disposed of? Any of you with more knowledge than me on batteries and cost to generate electricity please answer my questions and the cost of electric generation from a financial and environmental perspective.!!! Until then I see it as a government subsidized feel good situation....except for Elon Musk is is laughing all the way to the bank.
What I would really like to see from both the electric and dino fuel world is a 100% end to end analysis of costs and benefits. Now I am in my happy world as I realize neither side will do this unless it is to there advantage.
So now we are back on thread with a bit of wonder where it is going and hope....
Lots of info is available out there.

Prius batteries are not being moved into less demanding applications. They are being recycled. There is a battery warranty of up to 10 years with full replacement if it fails. New batteries are being considered as good for the life of the vehicle,

Electricity generation depends on where you are. From an environmental perspective, in my province, 95% of what our local utility generates is renewable. YMMV.

I am pretty sure I have purchased my last internal combustion engine vehicle.
Closed Thread