Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-13-2021, 05:23 AM   #1241
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Andrew T's Avatar

 
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,262
I have not towed with a Cayenne Hybrid yet. We do have customers with X5ís with the same ZF hybrid system which work great considering they are only 4 cylinders.

The turbocharged MDX Ridgeline etc should be a huge improvement in performance. These Hondaís have great chassis just could use a little more power. For those that need a pickup bed but donít want a chassis from 100 years ago the Ridgeline will be much more viable.
__________________
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:00 PM   #1242
Rivet Master
 
SteveNdebbie's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I have not towed with a Cayenne Hybrid yet. We do have customers with X5ís with the same ZF hybrid system which work great considering they are only 4 cylinders.

The turbocharged MDX Ridgeline etc should be a huge improvement in performance. These Hondaís have great chassis just could use a little more power. For those that need a pickup bed but donít want a chassis from 100 years ago the Ridgeline will be much more viable.


Yep Andy, we looked over some reviews and specs and weíre pretty excited about the MDX Type S. That could very well be our next vehicle. If you do a set up on one we will look forward to seeing what you think. Our MDX is at 145K miles but running great. I had Honda replace the PCV valve (found out about that on the MDXers forum) and it runs better with improved gas mileage. Hoping to get another year or two towing. Acura is positioning the Type S with BMW X5 and Audi Q7. Hoping the price will be lower and reliability good.

Steve
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #1243
Tom T
 
Tom_T's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Re the Tesla Range. When planning to go to Denver the spot I was concerned about was in eastern Colorado. 116 miles between superchargers likely a headwind and 200í of elevation gain.

In the back of the Tommy I can carry a 7000 watt inverter generator for emergency power. Would likely only need it for an hour or two. Just enough top up to make the next supercharger.
I see this as a relatively short term problem. They are adding superchargers pretty quickly.

Iíll likely get the new model S as soon as I can see one and test drive it. The old model S had a weaker cooling system than the 3 or X. The new one has solved that.
Andrew & Steve,

From what I hear the next gen Tesla batteries are supposed to crack the current gen technology's power density barrier, & get to that 500-600+ mile range. Same for all of the other EVs.

I too remain skeptical about pure EVs for towing & long distance travel at this point in time due to the range limitations, charging time/frequency & lack of widespread charging stations with adequate capacity for many EV drivers.

I really don't see how all of the California & other worldwide governmental & vehicle manufacturers' goals to be 100% no fossil fuel in the next decade or so can be met, given those limitations.

Our son did the trip from Colorado Springs to Jackson TN cutting SE across SE Colorado (not towing) - cutting diagonally on US Hwy & State Hwy routes to I-40 then East - & he was able to do so by using non-supercharger stations, but it took him much longer that way. He was still getting used to the new Tesla S, planned a different route based on Superchargers going home - but it was still much longer total trip time with charging, that anyone with a fuel or hybrid would take.

Everyone I know with a Tesla adjusts their routes to hit where their charging stations are located, & many including our son has the free charging, which has them missing large swaths of the US & Canada. It certainly makes economic sense to do so for the free power - but not a XC road trip lifestyle I want to do.

Andy's idea of carrying a generator to do emergency charges is probably necessary towing & seeing all parts of the countryside - with or without charging stations - & is almost a makeshift "Chevy VOLT-Tesla" approach!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
__________________
Tom T
Orange CA
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #1244
Tom T
 
Tom_T's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I have not towed with a Cayenne Hybrid yet.
Let us know when you do Andy, & please report it here or a link to your Hitch Hints article on it.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
__________________
Tom T
Orange CA
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:59 PM   #1245
1 Rivet Member
 
2021 22' Bambi
Lafayette , Louisiana
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
W/D Hitch on Q7

Hello all. My wife and I recently purchased a 2021 Bambi 22fb. Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered, but I read through most of this thread and couldnít find the answer I am looking for.

Bottom line, can I use a W/D hitch with my 2017 Q7? Owners manual says no, but I have seen on other forums that some people do it. For every person that does, there are 15 that say you shouldnít. Does anyone have first hand experience with this? Is it necessary, but most of all will it damage the vehicle? My Q7 doesnít have the air suspension but with the weight of the TT, we are well within specs. I called Audi USA and they said the reason it says no in the owners manual is because it hasnít been tested with the Q7 by Audi. There is a sticker on the factory installed hitch that references the max tongue weight with a W/D hitch. Therein lies my confusion.

TIA for the responses. If there is already an answer to this, please let me know where I can find it.
BobbyGJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #1246
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGJr View Post
Hello all. My wife and I recently purchased a 2021 Bambi 22fb. Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered, but I read through most of this thread and couldnít find the answer I am looking for.



Bottom line, can I use a W/D hitch with my 2017 Q7? Owners manual says no, but I have seen on other forums that some people do it. For every person that does, there are 15 that say you shouldnít. Does anyone have first hand experience with this? Is it necessary, but most of all will it damage the vehicle? My Q7 doesnít have the air suspension but with the weight of the TT, we are well within specs. I called Audi USA and they said the reason it says no in the owners manual is because it hasnít been tested with the Q7 by Audi. There is a sticker on the factory installed hitch that references the max tongue weight with a W/D hitch. Therein lies my confusion.



TIA for the responses. If there is already an answer to this, please let me know where I can find it.


You can, but you donít want to overdo it. I chose an Andersen WDH so that I get the sway and bounce control, and I can dial in a very light amount of WD too. Youíll be fine doing so, and if you are at all concerned, a good muffler shop can reinforce the hitch to add strength to handle the torsional force of the WDH.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #1247
1 Rivet Member
 
2021 22' Bambi
Lafayette , Louisiana
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
You can, but you donít want to overdo it. I chose an Andersen WDH so that I get the sway and bounce control, and I can dial in a very light amount of WD too. Youíll be fine doing so, and if you are at all concerned, a good muffler shop can reinforce the hitch to add strength to handle the torsional force of the WDH.
Right on. I will check that out. One more question, without the air suspension, do you know the best drive mode for towing?
BobbyGJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #1248
2 Rivet Member
 
cedonly's Avatar
 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 41
Images: 1
Why would you?

Hi, We have towed a 20ft FC with both a Porsche Cayenne and a 2017 Audi Q7 (with air suspension) without a WD hitch for a few years with no issues. I would say regarding towing safety: 1. Tire inflation and frequent checks. 2. Get a sway bar. 3. Know where your center of gravity on the TT is.... the center of gravity needs to be forward of the axel to prevent sway (filling the water tank in the back and loading a trailer in the rear can change the CG).. that is why the recommend 10-15% of trailer weight on the tongue.

Now, a WD hitch has very basic physics.. It creates a torque in the pitch direction thru the ball and ultimately thru Audiís hitch and frame to apply load to the front axel.... It is not as simple as just thinking about load to the ground thru the tires. A torque needs to be applied to a pinned joint (trailer to car) to transfer this load... the torque is equal to the extra load moved to the front axel x the distance from the hitch to the the front axel.. Letís say that is 15 ft and lets say you can move 200lb at the front wheels.. the torque on the ball is something like 3000 ft-lb on the ball and frame. That is just a guesstimate.

Now why put this additional stress on the Audi frame? You are within spec. The torque also creates a risk the connection will pop-off because that torque is always applied.

I have 3 masters degrees in physics/engineering... I have designed nuclear reactors and high precision automation equipment... my philosophy for my teams is to stay in spec and keep it simple.

That is what I would do.. get a sway bar and make sure tires are inflated properly (you may also want to look at dynamic tire balancers for the rear tires - that made a huge difference on towing and wear and tear on our AS).

- enjoy


Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGJr View Post
Hello all. My wife and I recently purchased a 2021 Bambi 22fb. Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered, but I read through most of this thread and couldnít find the answer I am looking for.

Bottom line, can I use a W/D hitch with my 2017 Q7? Owners manual says no, but I have seen on other forums that some people do it. For every person that does, there are 15 that say you shouldnít. Does anyone have first hand experience with this? Is it necessary, but most of all will it damage the vehicle? My Q7 doesnít have the air suspension but with the weight of the TT, we are well within specs. I called Audi USA and they said the reason it says no in the owners manual is because it hasnít been tested with the Q7 by Audi. There is a sticker on the factory installed hitch that references the max tongue weight with a W/D hitch. Therein lies my confusion.

TIA for the responses. If there is already an answer to this, please let me know where I can find it.
cedonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #1249
1 Rivet Member
 
2021 22' Bambi
Lafayette , Louisiana
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedonly View Post
Hi, We have towed a 20ft FC with both a Porsche Cayenne and a 2017 Audi Q7 (with air suspension) without a WD hitch for a few years with no issues. I would say regarding towing safety: 1. Tire inflation and frequent checks. 2. Get a sway bar. 3. Know where your center of gravity on the TT is.... the center of gravity needs to be forward of the axel to prevent sway (filling the water tank in the back and loading a trailer in the rear can change the CG).. that is why the recommend 10-15% of trailer weight on the tongue.

Now, a WD hitch has very basic physics.. It creates a torque in the pitch direction thru the ball and ultimately thru Audiís hitch and frame to apply load to the front axel.... It is not as simple as just thinking about load to the ground thru the tires. A torque needs to be applied to a pinned joint (trailer to car) to transfer this load... the torque is equal to the extra load moved to the front axel x the distance from the hitch to the the front axel.. Letís say that is 15 ft and lets say you can move 200lb at the front wheels.. the torque on the ball is something like 3000 ft-lb on the ball and frame. That is just a guesstimate.

Now why put this additional stress on the Audi frame? You are within spec. The torque also creates a risk the connection will pop-off because that torque is always applied.

I have 3 masters degrees in physics/engineering... I have designed nuclear reactors and high precision automation equipment... my philosophy for my teams is to stay in spec and keep it simple.

That is what I would do.. get a sway bar and make sure tires are inflated properly (you may also want to look at dynamic tire balancers for the rear tires - that made a huge difference on towing and wear and tear on our AS).

- enjoy
Thank you for the detailed information. I appreciate it!
BobbyGJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:18 AM   #1250
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Andrew T's Avatar

 
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedonly View Post
Hi, We have towed a 20ft FC with both a Porsche Cayenne and a 2017 Audi Q7 (with air suspension) without a WD hitch for a few years with no issues. I would say regarding towing safety: 1. Tire inflation and frequent checks. 2. Get a sway bar. 3. Know where your center of gravity on the TT is.... the center of gravity needs to be forward of the axel to prevent sway (filling the water tank in the back and loading a trailer in the rear can change the CG).. that is why the recommend 10-15% of trailer weight on the tongue.

Now, a WD hitch has very basic physics.. It creates a torque in the pitch direction thru the ball and ultimately thru Audiís hitch and frame to apply load to the front axel.... It is not as simple as just thinking about load to the ground thru the tires. A torque needs to be applied to a pinned joint (trailer to car) to transfer this load... the torque is equal to the extra load moved to the front axel x the distance from the hitch to the the front axel.. Letís say that is 15 ft and lets say you can move 200lb at the front wheels.. the torque on the ball is something like 3000 ft-lb on the ball and frame. That is just a guesstimate.

Now why put this additional stress on the Audi frame? You are within spec. The torque also creates a risk the connection will pop-off because that torque is always applied.

I have 3 masters degrees in physics/engineering... I have designed nuclear reactors and high precision automation equipment... my philosophy for my teams is to stay in spec and keep it simple.

That is what I would do.. get a sway bar and make sure tires are inflated properly (you may also want to look at dynamic tire balancers for the rear tires - that made a huge difference on towing and wear and tear on our AS).

- enjoy
You are actually towing at much higher risk than you know. Though your 20 might feel stable enough you actually have far less depth of control than you think you do. If a deer runs out in front of you in that instant you will whip the wheel to avoid it without considering the Airstream attached. With the weight distribution properly configured you will have the control to go through this maneuver without you will be amazed how quickly the Airstream takes control. If you send me an email I can send you the hitching details of how to set it up without hurting any part of the Audi Chassis. For the 20 you do not need a reinforce. There is also a video of the process on our website.
Canamrv.ca Towing expertise videos section. My email is andy@canamrv.ca

This article may help as well.

https://rvlifemag.com/towing-with-a-uni-body-vehicle/

I don't want to be an alarmist but it always worry's me when people take half my advice.

Andy
__________________
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:32 AM   #1251
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Andrew T's Avatar

 
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,262
Here is the actual link to the video's page.

The hitch configuration video is the first one.

Andy

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/
__________________
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #1252
Tom T
 
Tom_T's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGJr View Post
Hello all. My wife and I recently purchased a 2021 Bambi 22fb. Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered, but I read through most of this thread and couldnít find the answer I am looking for.

Bottom line, can I use a W/D hitch with my 2017 Q7? Owners manual says no, but I have seen on other forums that some people do it. For every person that does, there are 15 that say you shouldnít. Does anyone have first hand experience with this? Is it necessary, but most of all will it damage the vehicle? My Q7 doesnít have the air suspension but with the weight of the TT, we are well within specs. I called Audi USA and they said the reason it says no in the owners manual is because it hasnít been tested with the Q7 by Audi. There is a sticker on the factory installed hitch that references the max tongue weight with a W/D hitch. Therein lies my confusion.

TIA for the responses. If there is already an answer to this, please let me know where I can find it.
Bobby -

Congrats on your new Bambi!

Back in 2010-12 we looked at & really liked that 22' model (& 16' & 19' Bambis too), but decided to go the vintage trailer route instead for the fun vintage trailer rallies & community.

Yes you can use WD with all 3 of the Audi Q7/Q8/Q5 (& A6/S6/RS6 Allroad/Avant wagons), and with it's cousins of all flavors of the Porsche Cayenne/Macan (& Panamera/Taycan), & VW Touareg/Atlas - as well as with the BMW, MBZ, Rover etc SUVs.

Don't make your decisions based on the number of the posts - but rather on the reliable sources & information. This is not a Football or Basketball game nor Rugby match where the number of points count. Only the facts matter.

This subject has been beat to death for years in this topic, and yet it keeps coming back as if there should still be a question.

In Europe & UK WD is illegal, so the car makers do not allow them & state so in their owners manuals.

In the USA WD is legal - and VW, Porsche, Audi, BMW, MBZ, Rover, etc. AL allow it.

Unfortunately those car makers do not always bother to put the correct USA WD info into their owners manuals.

I don't know how much clearer we can make it for folks reading on here.

I'm willing to bet that the decal on your Q7's hitch gives both "distributed" (WD) & "weight bearing" (bare ball) ratings - unless the factory slapped on the EU/UK decal - instead of the proper USA decal.

If the non-USA decal is on it, then there was a recent previous post which tells how to contact Audi USA (or VW USA or PCNA) to get the correct USA hitch ratings decal sent to you.

So feel free to use a WD & AS hitch with your Q7 + 22' Bambi or any other size/type AS, car hauler, boat or utility trailer, or any other type of trailer within your Q7's specs' limits/ratings.

Our similar size & spec 1960 Avion T20 (21'-6"L) is equipped with the Hensley Cub WD/AS hitch which has the blessing of every Porsche Tech for our use with Porsche Cayenne - which is the same chassis family as your Q7.

I like the Cub because it's super stable & easy, stress-free & low workload to drive/tow, I can easily adjust the WD-torsion in infinite steps using the easy crank up/down jacks (I can even use a cordless drill if really lazy), I don't have to ever remove the hitch head & torsion bars (except for maintenance), & it gives me a tighter turning radius than other non-PPP-WD hitches, & it has a lifetime warranty on all parts.

Some will say why pay $1500-1800 for a Hensley Cub, when others come in at $300-1200 for EAZlift, Equalizer, BlueOx, etc, etc. - but you just dropped $60K+ on your Bambi - so is a few $100s more for a better, safer & easier to use, & easier to drive/tow hitch really a problem for the added security & safety with your new AS?

So instead of again questioning whether Q7's can use WD hitches - just pick which WD/AS hitch you prefer, and get advice on what is the best WD/AS hitch for your rig, needs, budget, & whether you want to lift up chains or crank an easier jack to adjust the tension bars, whether you want to mess with removal of the hitch head/bars when parked, etc.

Andy T. at CanAm who has posted several times recently above can advise you on which WD/AS hitches he reccos for Q7 to his customers.

Safe Travels!
Tom
///////
__________________
Tom T
Orange CA
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #1253
1 Rivet Member
 
1994 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 18
The wd hitch will level out the Audi. I towed my 21 ft AS on a 4000 mile trip without wd on my Touareg and had really bad tire wear from squatting too much. Now with wd it only squats about 3/4 inch.
Khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #1254
1 Rivet Member
 
2021 22' Bambi
Lafayette , Louisiana
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
Thank you all for the information. It has been extremely helpful. We are excited to hit the road!
BobbyGJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #1255
1 Rivet Member
 
2021 22' Bambi
Lafayette , Louisiana
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Bobby -

Congrats on your new Bambi!

Back in 2010-12 we looked at & really liked that 22' model (& 16' & 19' Bambis too), but decided to go the vintage trailer route instead for the fun vintage trailer rallies & community.

Yes you can use WD with all 3 of the Audi Q7/Q8/Q5 (& A6/S6/RS6 Allroad/Avant wagons), and with it's cousins of all flavors of the Porsche Cayenne/Macan (& Panamera/Taycan), & VW Touareg/Atlas - as well as with the BMW, MBZ, Rover etc SUVs.

Don't make your decisions based on the number of the posts - but rather on the reliable sources & information. This is not a Football or Basketball game nor Rugby match where the number of points count. Only the facts matter.

This subject has been beat to death for years in this topic, and yet it keeps coming back as if there should still be a question.

In Europe & UK WD is illegal, so the car makers do not allow them & state so in their owners manuals.

In the USA WD is legal - and VW, Porsche, Audi, BMW, MBZ, Rover, etc. AL allow it.

Unfortunately those car makers do not always bother to put the correct USA WD info into their owners manuals.

I don't know how much clearer we can make it for folks reading on here.

I'm willing to bet that the decal on your Q7's hitch gives both "distributed" (WD) & "weight bearing" (bare ball) ratings - unless the factory slapped on the EU/UK decal - instead of the proper USA decal.

If the non-USA decal is on it, then there was a recent previous post which tells how to contact Audi USA (or VW USA or PCNA) to get the correct USA hitch ratings decal sent to you.

So feel free to use a WD & AS hitch with your Q7 + 22' Bambi or any other size/type AS, car hauler, boat or utility trailer, or any other type of trailer within your Q7's specs' limits/ratings.

Our similar size & spec 1960 Avion T20 (21'-6"L) is equipped with the Hensley Cub WD/AS hitch which has the blessing of every Porsche Tech for our use with Porsche Cayenne - which is the same chassis family as your Q7.

I like the Cub because it's super stable & easy, stress-free & low workload to drive/tow, I can easily adjust the WD-torsion in infinite steps using the easy crank up/down jacks (I can even use a cordless drill if really lazy), I don't have to ever remove the hitch head & torsion bars (except for maintenance), & it gives me a tighter turning radius than other non-PPP-WD hitches, & it has a lifetime warranty on all parts.

Some will say why pay $1500-1800 for a Hensley Cub, when others come in at $300-1200 for EAZlift, Equalizer, BlueOx, etc, etc. - but you just dropped $60K+ on your Bambi - so is a few $100s more for a better, safer & easier to use, & easier to drive/tow hitch really a problem for the added security & safety with your new AS?

So instead of again questioning whether Q7's can use WD hitches - just pick which WD/AS hitch you prefer, and get advice on what is the best WD/AS hitch for your rig, needs, budget, & whether you want to lift up chains or crank an easier jack to adjust the tension bars, whether you want to mess with removal of the hitch head/bars when parked, etc.

Andy T. at CanAm who has posted several times recently above can advise you on which WD/AS hitches he reccos for Q7 to his customers.

Safe Travels!
Tom
///////
Thanks, Tom. You are correct, the hitch has a sticker with the tongue weights with both options. Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Bobby
BobbyGJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #1256
Tom T
 
Tom_T's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 901
Glad to help Bobby.

For Bobby & All looking at VW/Audi/Porsche vehicles, as well as for BMW, MBZ, Rover, & other Import TVs in this topic -

Another word of caution is that almost all sales staff & management, & most Tech/Mechanics at the Audi/VW/Porsche & the other dealerships know nothing about towing in general - let alone what their SUVs & other vehicles are rate for & capable of towing.

If you run into that situation with your dealer, then ask the Service Manager or a Tech who knows towing, & ask them to look up towing issues in their Factory Service Manuals, Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), Bulletins for Recalls & Recommended Services, etc. for your vehicle for the actual towing info for the USA - & print, digital copy &/or give you the link(s).

Also have them check at least annually for recalls & factory fixes - as well as you can check for recalls yourself at NHTSA.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Porsche was really cagey about a defect in their 2011-12 V8's where camshaft bolts fails & destroyed $35K engines, until a group of owners from the 6speedOnline web forum got NHTSA to force a mandatory recall, which Porsche still stalled on implementing.

While they generally make great cars - VW, Porsche & Audi are well known for DieselGate, Cayenne cracking plastic coolant pipes (2003-6 Cayenne V8s) & the cam adjuster bolts above, IMS Bearings in 1998-06 911/Boxster engines, & numerous other German Engineering failures' denials.
.

Additionally, many of their import cars & wagons are also rated to tow in the EU/UK etc. - but not really pushed, documented or readily optioned or dealer accessorized for towing here in the USA. However, you can get either their factory Euro/Uk tow option/hitches sent here, &/or after market designs for the USA which use the 2" square receivers that allow you to both tow & utilize hitch mounted cargo & bike racks - e.g.: look back at the Porsche Panamera Sedan/Tourisimo pics & info that I'd posted recently.

https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-un...les-1729409498

In such cases, you can do research online & at their respective vehicle interest forums in the EU/UK etc. on those vehicles, as well as to ask your dealer service manager &/or techs to look up their tow ratings & info in English versions for those areas/regions - & print, digital copy &/or give you the link(s) to use in setting up your non-SUV/CUV TV lacking such USA towing support.

Andy T. at CanAm & on here is also the obvious support & advisory person on setting up & safely towing with any of these "other" TVs.

For example - the Porsche Panamera is factory rated at something around 4850 lbs tow rating, but not really factory supported in the USA/Canada for such use. The Panameras elsewhere even has Porsche's power-retracting/extending "gooseneck" type hitch ball as a factory option - if you go to the UK or Euro version of their website's Build your Porsche page.

Pick your UK Panamera model, then click on "Build Your Own", & select the electric tow bar option under "Exterior":
https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/pa...namera-models/


.

Heck - Porsche even rated their 1978-95 928 line to tow up to 3527 lbs braked up to 16% grade; & provided it with a factory hitch, towing mirrors, etc. in their 928 PET factory parts manual both here & UK/Europe. I know many 928 owners here in the USA who tow boats, travel trailers, race car trailers, race parts/support trailers, etc. here in the USA.






.

I'd posted these TUV towing specs, parts manuals & pics of 928s towing a few years back in this topic - back when we were considering getting a 928 to tow our Avion T20. Unfortunately, my wife eventually overruled that because she wanted "...a real back seat for the grandkids, & more cargo space for her painting stuff".

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-capacity.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-capacity.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tow-928-a.html
.




Porsche 928 Factory Hitch:

.

More pix below on 928 hitch & Panamera towing the modern Bowlus Road Chief redeux classic-look trailer here in the USA.

More of Panamera towing at the Bowlus website:
https://bowlus.com/

Cheers from Sunny SoCal!
Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	928 PET Factory Hitch etc.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	391819   Click image for larger version

Name:	928 HitchParts.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	391820  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0429121433.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	391821   Click image for larger version

Name:	pana.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	391822  

__________________
Tom T
Orange CA
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #1257
Tom T
 
Tom_T's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 901
Just for fun Euro & other non-truck TV eye candy ...

While not towing an Airstream, the Bowlus trailers were & are Vintage & Classic-Redeux Kin to AS - and Bowlus chose to highlight their classy trailers with classy Porsche Macan & Panamera TVs.

Original 1936 Bowlus Road Chief (the also built other smaller models then too) Vintage Kin:

.

I think that there is a C/T/Q owner on here who tows a Vintage Kin Bowlus, but I'm blanking on their name.
.


The new Bowlus is 25'-9" L x 6'-7" W x 8'-6" H (incl. fixed antenna), with 3200 lb base wt & 4000 lb GTRW & 300 lb HW - so they're well within both the Macan's 4409 lbs & Panamera's 4850 lbs trailer tow ratings.

Here are some more nice pix of the Macan towing the new Bolus Road Chief redeux, from the Bolus website....












.


Panamera towing Bowlus:



Panamera towing Bowlus video:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/328734530?background=1
.


Other Classy non-pick-up TVs -










.

All photos & video from Bowlus website: https://bowlus.com/

Hopefully this & my prior post broadens peoples' perspectives on non-truck TVs.

Enjoy!
Tom
///////
__________________
Tom T
Orange CA
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:48 PM   #1258
2 Rivet Member
 
ModernVista's Avatar
 
2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 91
Andy

Just want to update that we are still towing our Airstream 28í with our Cayenne- although we upgraded to a 2017 V8 Turbo from our 2012 S.

Same hitch and rig setup from CanAm and everything has been perfect!

Highly recommend his advice- although I kind of wish I could just have him talk to the (literally) dozens and dozens of people who ask me if the Cayenne can tow.

Cheers!

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCEEF899-896F-4611-A643-925532CA8233.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	391853  
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #1259
2 Rivet Member
 
Santa Cruz , California
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 77
We will be towing a 23í Flying Cloud with our Q8 soon. Not hitched yet just a preview.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D7624B20-660C-48E4-9F60-00BE4A13D17F.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	391892  
Imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #1260
3 Rivet Member
 
2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
My wife is looking at upgrading her 120k mile 2008 Cayenne Turbo to a 2012 60k mile Turbo.

The bad news is that we'd likely sacrifice our 2007 25' Airstream to do so

I'd like to find a 22FB or a vintage narrow trailer to pull behind it, and dress up with vintage Porsche vibes.

The deed is done. The Airstream and the Cayenne are both gone. For a short period this week I'll be debt free (until I get put on another car loan for the wife.)

She's got her eye on a 40k mile 2017 Macan Turbo and a 50k mile 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. Both are the same money. It may come down to who will haggle with her.

We'll be on the lookout for a narrow Airstream in the future.
__________________
2007 Airstream 25FB Safari LS - GY Endurance Prodigy Wireless - Andersen
2005 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax Allison
2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo 500hp/516lb-ft
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porsche Cayenne Diesel pman Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 22 05-06-2021 07:38 AM
Input on Porsche Cayenne as TV (& 928??) Tom_T Tow Vehicles 154 07-08-2016 11:47 AM
Porsche Cayenne V6 or s socool69 Tow Vehicles 27 01-21-2015 05:28 AM
Porsche Cayenne with Airstream & SOB cameront120 Tow Vehicles 7 06-23-2008 12:29 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.