Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #1261
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
The deed is done. The Airstream and the Cayenne are both gone. For a short period this week I'll be debt free (until I get put on another car loan for the wife.)

She's got her eye on a 40k mile 2017 Macan Turbo and a 50k mile 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. Both are the same money. It may come down to who will haggle with her.

We'll be on the lookout for a narrow Airstream in the future.
Look at the Classifieds on here - AirForums, Tin Can Tourists, Vintage Camping Trailer magazine, evil-bay, etc. - if you end up wanting the Vintage AS or Kin route.

I don't know that you'll need to go the narrow AS route for the Vintage Kin/AS to tow with with either of those options - so long as they're within the tow wt. ratings of both, but the Macan will be less at 4400+/- lbs, than the CT at 7716 lbs.

If you go Vintage Kin, then you'll also be opening up to options from Avion, Silver Streak, Curtis, etc., as well as AS. Vintage Trailer Supply sells a CD called "Silver Beauties" which has tons of info on the various Vintage Kin "Silver Twinkie" trailers, as well as one on the vintage AS models/years - both of which would be a good shopping aid, as well as for reading & references.

Happy Hunting!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:34 AM   #1262
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdakine1 View Post
We will be towing a 23’ Flying Cloud with our Q8 soon. Not hitched yet just a preview.
Nice Looking Q8 & AS!

We love blue cars!

Which engine did you end up getting in your Q8?

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 03-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #1263
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernVista View Post
Andy

Just want to update that we are still towing our Airstream 28’ with our Cayenne- although we upgraded to a 2017 V8 Turbo from our 2012 S.

Same hitch and rig setup from CanAm and everything has been perfect!

Highly recommend his advice- although I kind of wish I could just have him talk to the (literally) dozens and dozens of people who ask me if the Cayenne can tow.

Cheers!

-Chris
Nice looking CT-AS rig Chris! Is that pic in Malibu Canyon area?

Did you step up to the `17 CT in order stay with the V8, after Porsche changed the Cay S to the 3.6L V6 TT?

Did you ever try towing with their 2015-18 Cay S with the 3.6L V6 TT before you got the CT?

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 03-30-2021, 10:22 PM   #1264
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Nice Looking Q8 & AS!

We love blue cars!

Which engine did you end up getting in your Q8?

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Thanks. We just went with the base Q8. It’s a turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6 that makes 335 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. We got the adaptive suspension with all wheel steering which is pretty amazing. The gas miles compared to our other Audi a 2014 Q5 TDI is horrendous (as expected) so I was a bit worried about the SQ8 and RSQ8 with towing and gas miles... Haha!

I think the base Q8 should work for our 23’ AirStream.
Imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:56 AM   #1265
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
I don't know that you'll need to go the narrow AS route for the Vintage Kin/AS to tow - so long as they're within the tow wt. rating at 7716 lbs.
She struck a deal on a 2014 Cayenne Turbo S

No tow pkg so I'll need to add that again like I did on our 2008 if we decide to go down this road again. In the meantime I'm going to try to focus on finishing, maintaining and/or driving our six vehicles. Feels like a full time job

I'm attracted to the smaller trailers just to make it easier to see around, pull and park with any of our existing vehicles. I don't plan to buy another HD truck unless something happens to my GMC
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:56 AM   #1266
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Nice looking CT-AS rig Chris! Is that pic in Malibu Canyon area?

Did you step up to the `17 CT in order stay with the V8, after Porsche changed the Cay S to the 3.6L V6 TT?

Did you ever try towing with their 2015-18 Cay S with the 3.6L V6 TT before you got the CT?

Cheers!

Tom

///////

Tom! It’s actually Napa.

I did want to stay with the V8- and I found one in the same color and trim/options I wanted so I traded up.

I did not try the V6- but I did review the torque numbers and rpm range and for some reason felt this was the way to go at the time. Otoh, I might just have been excited about owning a Turbo and a roof rack (previous one didn’t have one optioned, and thus different roof with no retrofit)

It’s been great. Zero issues other than rats eating some wiring harness that caused an air-ride error... while parked in my driveway in Palm Springs!! Perfect machine for tight camping spots and comfortable drives. I’m holding onto this one!!

Cb
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:44 AM   #1267
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I did a test drive with a 2019 3.0 Q8 Yesterday it was on a 73 27' so not a huge challenge but it was blowing a 35 MPH crosswind and it was still on snow tires. My impression was that the suspension tune on the Q8 was closer to the Cayenne than the Q7. Lovely vehicle, though I guess it should be.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #1268
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Thanks. We just went with the base Q8. It’s a turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6 that makes 335 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. We got the adaptive suspension with all wheel steering which is pretty amazing. The gas miles compared to our other Audi a 2014 Q5 TDI is horrendous (as expected) so I was a bit worried about the SQ8 and RSQ8 with towing and gas miles... Haha!

I think the base Q8 should work for our 23’ AirStream.
It should work fine Imdakine1.

If you look at those 2003-06 Gen 1 955 Cayenne S normally aspirated V8 HP & TQ ratings that I posted recently - your Q8's 3.0L V6 turbo is just 5 HP less & 59 ft/lbs more at lower rpms than that CayS 4.5L V8 - so probably about the same or more than the former Audi Q7 4.2L V8 cousin too.

Most of the various Turbo SUVs/CUVs are getting same or better HP & TQ as their respective earlier non-turbo V8s, & generally at lower rpm due to the turbo (or superchargers).

The questions will be whether the added complexity & components for turbo - plus higher compression ratios & other stresses on the smaller engines putting out higher power - will result in higher maintenance & repair costs, more services more frequently, & a shorter life of the engines & components.

It's just like the race car engines that get max'ed out, & therefore tend not to last as long as their lower tune street relatives.

So for folks who tend to trade in their vehicles after the factory warranty expires - it's probably not as much of an issue. But for folks who like to keep their vehicles longer term, this may be more of a problem after their factory warranty/CPO is expired.

Also, there' a lot of tech recommendations to stick with more frequent oil/filter, trans, differential & xfer case fluids, coolant, brake, & other fluids/filters being changed out more frequently than are the recent factory recco's on their vehicles. The Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 AWD transfer case fluids change out is an example (see postings at 6SpeedOnline forums).

Apparently a lot of these factory longer &/or no change service intervals is driven by getting to a lower ownership cost rating by JD Power etc. - via service & maintenance costs reductions - not necessarily by improved technology, products, etc.

So a lot of folks are still sticking with the old school yearly or 5,000 mile oil/filter changes, and semi-annual or longer &/or 10-40,000 mile for the other components' (coolant, brake, power steering, transmission, transfer case, differential, etc.) fluids/filters/seals/etc. - generally about 1/4 to 1/2 of the newer recent longer term fluid changes.

Another side effect is that the more frequent fluid changes also resulted in more frequent inspections of related wear components, & debris & contamination etc. in those fluids - such as water, PS, AT, etc. pumps, seals, filters, etc. So that the problems in the components & systems aren't being caught early enough to replace before failure &/or collateral damage.

So my suggestion to you & others is the research & religiously follow your vehicles service schedules - & to have the fluids/filters & inspections done more often than the factory's minimum service intervals. The additional cost will be less than component failures, & result in longer trouble free life of your vehicles - regardless of DD, pleasure, TV, & other uses.

Many CA counties are in or nearing CA's COVID Orange Level, & will continue dropping as time passes if folks get vaccinated & follow safety measures until then. Then non-essential travel, campgrounds, etc. will open up again.

So hopefully you'll be able to take your Q8-AS rig out soon!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #1269
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:

No tow pkg so I'll need to add that again like I did on our 2008 if we decide to go down this road again. In the meantime I'm going to try to focus on finishing, maintaining and/or driving our six vehicles. Feels like a full time job

I'm attracted to the smaller trailers just to make it easier to see around, pull and park with any of our existing vehicles. I don't plan to buy another HD truck unless something happens to my GMC
Mr. Merk -

If/when you're ready to do the CT's tow package - first check prices & get written price quotes from Suncoast Porsche FL & Sunset Porsche OR (& maybe Hennessey Porsche in GA) - then use them to keep your local Porsche Dealer honest on their pricing, or get the parts/kit from those & have the installation done by your local dealer (some folks do the installation themselves, then have their dealer do the reprogramming).

Many dealers will charge top dollar for the Cayenne Tow Option retrofit, whereas those 2-3 dealers are notable for best pricing nationally. So they're also your best sources for your other P-cars parts as well.

According to the Porsche website, your closest dealer is up in Springfield MO, & I don't know how pricey they are, but there's always the Little Rock & Tulsey Town P-dealers too.

If you go to Springfield, then try to work in a stop at Lambert's Cafe off US 65 in Ozark just south of town.

For those that don't know it, it's worth a stop for some "Throwed Rolls"!

https://throwedrolls.com/lamberts-cafe-ii/

They're also in Sikeston MO along the Mississippi R, & down in AL - just look them up off of the above link. It's fun, good food, & well loved by locals.

Our family & friends have gone to both MO locations, & our kids loved it when young, & we're hoping the grandkids will too!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #1270
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Mr. Merk -

If/when you're ready to do the CT's tow package - first check prices & get written price quotes from Suncoast Porsche FL & Sunset Porsche OR (& maybe Hennessey Porsche in GA) - then use them to keep your local Porsche Dealer honest on their pricing, or get the parts/kit from those & have the installation done by your local dealer (some folks do the installation themselves, then have their dealer do the reprogramming).

For those that don't know it, it's worth a stop for some "Throwed Rolls"!
I did the retrofit on our 2008 and would probably do it again. If not we have some great friends at Ehrlich Motorwerks in Siloam Springs that take care of our P-cars.

The Throwed Rolls are fantastic. It's all good and fun.....until somebody gets hurt.
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #1271
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernVista View Post
Tom! It’s actually Napa.

I did want to stay with the V8- and I found one in the same color and trim/options I wanted so I traded up.

I did not try the V6- but I did review the torque numbers and rpm range and for some reason felt this was the way to go at the time. Otoh, I might just have been excited about owning a Turbo and a roof rack (previous one didn’t have one optioned, and thus different roof with no retrofit)

It’s been great. Zero issues other than rats eating some wiring harness that caused an air-ride error... while parked in my driveway in Palm Springs!! Perfect machine for tight camping spots and comfortable drives. I’m holding onto this one!!

Cb
Cool CB! Thanx for the CayT feedback.

You'd best get some sort of rat/vermin proofing in your CayT, because all of the Euro auto makers are mandated for several years now to use bio-based wiring/loom insulation - which is basically rat-candy! The USA & Asian makers will or already have started switching too.

A few years back my longtime P-car & Euro Car mechanic had another customer's new BMW X5 totaled due to extensive rodent damage to it's wiring harness while parked outside in South Orange County!

So how the heck is rodent damage destroying entire vehicles in any way environmentally sane or helpful!!?? It's just stupid!!

Talk about good intentions with unintended consequences!

They either need to go back to regular plastic insulation, or else get the bio-plastics absolutely rodent proof & non-degradable in 20+ years life cycle of normal plastics.

However, the auto makers will do nothing because it forces earlier functional obsolescence, destruction/totaling, & other problems - then they get more new sales.

I noted my & my 46+ year P-car mechanic's concerns for the V6 T & TT & e-Hybrid Cayenne models are noted above - regarding complexity, added maintenance costs & less engine longevity of those higher tuned & more stressed smaller HiPo V6 T/TT/SC Cayenne engines. Feedback on here seems that they work fine in their towing duties (street use unhitched was never a question for any Cayenne sub-model).

In our prior CayS search I was staying away from the V8 Turbo/TS for similar complexity reasons, in order to stay away from Air Suspension (I prefer steel springs for similar maintenance & longevity reasons), & because the normally aspirated CayS V8 got better mpg while towing than either the base Cay VR6 or the CT/CTS - and we expected to use the Cay 80% of the time for towing. Since the normally aspirated V8 GTS came stock with air suspension, as did many CayS - plus too many were black, & so many lacked both the rear camera & tow hitch, complicating & limiting our search.

Now we're thinking that it'll be used more for DD use & +/- 50:50 with towing - so having a zero emission/no fuel EV around town use may be the way to go, & since the last of the N.A. V8 CayS is 2014 & 7+/- years old now - plus the 3.0L SC & Turbo V6's & e-Hybrid are about the same HP & TQ as the original 2003-06 4.5L V8 955 Cayennes

The roof rails/rack is handy to have, & a plus for our next (restart) search, but not a deal killer, since at going on 69 later this year - although it would be on one if we were to special order a new Cayenne tbd.

I'm not sure how long I'll want to climb up there to mount, load/unload & use the roof rack. Even now I certainly wouldn't use it for bikes!

For our 2 classic-style beach cruiser bikes I prefer to load them on the back of the Avion (bumper mounted 2" receiver & Yakima Trailer Rated Hitch with fold down arms), & would put any more grandkids' bikes inside. For our little Puck trailer - I got the Fiamma rear hatch bike rack for our `88 Westy van, which I might use for the Cayenne when towing the little Pucker - if Fiamma makes one for Cay & for Airstreams too.

Otherwise I'd use an extended 2" tow bar type with the secondary top 2" receiver for the Yakima bike rack. The Puck only weighs 660 lbs (1000 max GTWR) - so the extended hitch tow bar would have minimal effect on the Cayenne - even with 70-100 lbs HW + 150-200 lbs of Bike Rack + extension & still be well under the Cay 700 lbs HW rating.

I actually have both the Yakima folding arm Trailer rated bike rack, & their "Swing Daddy" 2" receiver bike rake that I'd use on the Westy & Cayenne - since it swings out of the way to open the hatch.

Fiamma Bike Racks:

Airstream Types:
https://www.fiammausa.com/en/caravan...railer-en.html

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...kes-by-fiamma/

SUV Types (not sure if anyone on here has tried this on their C/T/Q):
https://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-C...e-Backpack-Pro

VW T3/T25 Vanagon Van Types (not sure if this could work on a Cayenne in any Gen):
https://www.fiammausa.com/en/camperv...666/vw-en.html

Yakima Bike Racks:

Swing Types:
https://yakima.com/search?view=shop&q=Swing
> Swing Daddy has been updated to Full Swing, & they have Swing Converters for other Hitch Racks.

RV rated Types:
https://yakima.com/collections/hitch-mounted-bike-racks#/filter:mfield_custom_fields_hitch_size:2$2522/filter:mfield_custom_fields_rv_compatible:Yes

https://yakima.com/collections/rv-approved-bike-racks

Those are some ideas for you & others here for bike racks etc.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-01-2021, 04:03 PM   #1272
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:

PS - You could see around this - plenty narrow, & tow it with your 911 to Parade in Indiana this June - as it's only 660-1,000 lbs TW & 66-100 HW - easy peasy!

Then you could enter it all in the Parade Concours "911-Plus" category!

PSS - Do I sense a roll in the eye or some other story from this quote?
"The Throwed Rolls are fantastic. It's all good and fun.....until somebody gets hurt. "

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #1273
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Cool CB! Thanx for the CayT feedback.

You'd best get some sort of rat/vermin proofing in your CayT, because all of the Euro auto makers are mandated for several years now to use bio-based wiring/loom insulation - which is basically rat-candy! The USA & Asian makers will or already have started switching too.

A few years back my longtime P-car & Euro Car mechanic had another customer's new BMW X5 totaled due to extensive rodent damage to it's wiring harness while parked outside in South Orange County!

So how the heck is rodent damage destroying entire vehicles in any way environmentally sane or helpful!!?? It's just stupid!!

Talk about good intentions with unintended consequences!

They either need to go back to regular plastic insulation, or else get the bio-plastics absolutely rodent proof & non-degradable in 20+ years life cycle of normal plastics.

However, the auto makers will do nothing because it forces earlier functional obsolescence, destruction/totaling, & other problems - then they get more new sales.

I noted my & my 46+ year P-car mechanic's concerns for the V6 T & TT & e-Hybrid Cayenne models are noted above - regarding complexity, added maintenance costs & less engine longevity of those higher tuned & more stressed smaller HiPo V6 T/TT/SC Cayenne engines. Feedback on here seems that they work fine in their towing duties (street use unhitched was never a question for any Cayenne sub-model).

In our prior CayS search I was staying away from the V8 Turbo/TS for similar complexity reasons, in order to stay away from Air Suspension (I prefer steel springs for similar maintenance & longevity reasons), & because the normally aspirated CayS V8 got better mpg while towing than either the base Cay VR6 or the CT/CTS - and we expected to use the Cay 80% of the time for towing. Since the normally aspirated V8 GTS came stock with air suspension, as did many CayS - plus too many were black, & so many lacked both the rear camera & tow hitch, complicating & limiting our search.

Now we're thinking that it'll be used more for DD use & +/- 50:50 with towing - so having a zero emission/no fuel EV around town use may be the way to go, & since the last of the N.A. V8 CayS is 2014 & 7+/- years old now - plus the 3.0L SC & Turbo V6's & e-Hybrid are about the same HP & TQ as the original 2003-06 4.5L V8 955 Cayennes

The roof rails/rack is handy to have, & a plus for our next (restart) search, but not a deal killer, since at going on 69 later this year - although it would be on one if we were to special order a new Cayenne tbd.

I'm not sure how long I'll want to climb up there to mount, load/unload & use the roof rack. Even now I certainly wouldn't use it for bikes!

For our 2 classic-style beach cruiser bikes I prefer to load them on the back of the Avion (bumper mounted 2" receiver & Yakima Trailer Rated Hitch with fold down arms), & would put any more grandkids' bikes inside. For our little Puck trailer - I got the Fiamma rear hatch bike rack for our `88 Westy van, which I might use for the Cayenne when towing the little Pucker - if Fiamma makes one for Cay & for Airstreams too.

Otherwise I'd use an extended 2" tow bar type with the secondary top 2" receiver for the Yakima bike rack. The Puck only weighs 660 lbs (1000 max GTWR) - so the extended hitch tow bar would have minimal effect on the Cayenne - even with 70-100 lbs HW + 150-200 lbs of Bike Rack + extension & still be well under the Cay 700 lbs HW rating.

I actually have both the Yakima folding arm Trailer rated bike rack, & their "Swing Daddy" 2" receiver bike rake that I'd use on the Westy & Cayenne - since it swings out of the way to open the hatch.

Fiamma Bike Racks:

Airstream Types:
https://www.fiammausa.com/en/caravan...railer-en.html

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...kes-by-fiamma/

SUV Types (not sure if anyone on here has tried this on their C/T/Q):
https://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-C...e-Backpack-Pro

VW T3/T25 Vanagon Van Types (not sure if this could work on a Cayenne in any Gen):
https://www.fiammausa.com/en/camperv...666/vw-en.html

Yakima Bike Racks:

Swing Types:
https://yakima.com/search?view=shop&q=Swing
> Swing Daddy has been updated to Full Swing, & they have Swing Converters for other Hitch Racks.

RV rated Types:
https://yakima.com/collections/hitch-mounted-bike-racks#/filter:mfield_custom_fields_hitch_size:2$2522/filter:mfield_custom_fields_rv_compatible:Yes

https://yakima.com/collections/rv-approved-bike-racks

Those are some ideas for you & others here for bike racks etc.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

Our son has a 2010 Toyota RAV4 that had to have two AC compressors replaced, a wiring harness replaced, mouse nests cleaned out of the glove box due to rodent candy coated wiring. Toyota denied this was a problem. Now our local mechanic annually costs the entire engine compartment a petroleum based undercoating spray at about $15 for the can. No further rodent damage since, although not a pretty engine to look at
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #1274
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Our son has a 2010 Toyota RAV4 that had to have two AC compressors replaced, a wiring harness replaced, mouse nests cleaned out of the glove box due to rodent candy coated wiring. Toyota denied this was a problem. Now our local mechanic annually costs the entire engine compartment a petroleum based undercoating spray at about $15 for the can. No further rodent damage since, although not a pretty engine to look at
PS SteveNdebbie - I didn't realize that Toyota was using it - let alone that early on.

Check around, because there are some clear/clearish spray-on rodent protectors/deterrents made specifically for that purpose which can be used, most/all of which are Petroleum based.

I researched them a few years back, but don't have them bookmarked, because at present none of our cars have rodent candy wiring.

So consider this all - we're saving the planet by using non-petroleum-based vegetable "plastics" for wiring insulation to save the planet, that then needs to be coated with other petroleum based rodent-proofing to keep from destroying the cars!?

Exactly how that does any real good is beyond me!

BTW - Henry Ford tried Soy based plastics, foams, upholstery, etc. in his cars during the 1920s-30s & they ran into the same rodent problem.

So why weren't the current auto makers forewarned by that experiment, & at least use rodent-deterring additives to the Ag-based insulation now!?

Food for Thot!
Tom
///////
Old 04-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #1275
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
PS SteveNdebbie - I didn't realize that Toyota was using it - let alone that early on.

Check around, because there are some clear/clearish spray-on rodent protectors/deterrents made specifically for that purpose which can be used, most/all of which are Petroleum based.

I researched them a few years back, but don't have them bookmarked, because at present none of our cars have rodent candy wiring.

So consider this all - we're saving the planet by using non-petroleum-based vegetable "plastics" for wiring insulation to save the planet, that then needs to be coated with other petroleum based rodent-proofing to keep from destroying the cars!?

Exactly how that does any real good is beyond me!

BTW - Henry Ford tried Soy based plastics, foams, upholstery, etc. in his cars during the 1920s-30s & they ran into the same rodent problem.

So why weren't the current auto makers forewarned by that experiment, & at least use rodent-deterring additives to the Ag-based insulation now!?

Food for Thot!
Tom
///////

Tom,
I would guess that automakers either get incentive money from the government to use “eco-friendly” wire coating or penalized for using consumer friendly plastic coating. But then all governments would have to be in agreement - hmmm...

Maybe the Supreme Chancellor of Mice secretly owns the World Wide Automobile Industry, just like the Great Decider of Health Care has done with the requirement of all health care systems to use “Integrated Electronic Medical Records” to make transfer of health information (back to they?) more fluid for the benefit of myself and my patients in order to provide quality care! Make my life easier! create more jobs!

But I digress... Apologies, it has been a long day

Really like the specs on the 2022 Acura MDX Type S! I wonder how it would compare to the Germans?

Steve
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #1276
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Tom,
I would guess that automakers either get incentive money from the government to use “eco-friendly” wire coating or penalized for using consumer friendly plastic coating. But then all governments would have to be in agreement - hmmm...

Maybe the Supreme Chancellor of Mice secretly owns the World Wide Automobile Industry, just like the Great Decider of Health Care has done with the requirement of all health care systems to use “Integrated Electronic Medical Records” to make transfer of health information (back to they?) more fluid for the benefit of myself and my patients in order to provide quality care! Make my life easier! create more jobs!

But I digress... Apologies, it has been a long day

Really like the specs on the 2022 Acura MDX Type S! I wonder how it would compare to the Germans?

Steve
Steve -

According to my Austrian mechanic since 1975 - it's the EU & European countries that are requiring the biodegradable wiring insulation. I don't know if the Asian makers are following that requirement - or if they have their own.

It's just the wrong material in the wrong application - no matter the good intentions.

Let us know how you like the MDX-S whenever you get to test drive one.

I tried to find a blue one - which would be a must for us - but only see the Type S in this Gold "Tiger Eye Pearl" metallic paint -

355 HP & 354 TQ out of their 3.1L V6 Turbo sounds pretty healthy, but I didn't find specs for what rpm those are rated.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-06-2021, 11:14 PM   #1277
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I did a test drive with a 2019 3.0 Q8 Yesterday it was on a 73 27' so not a huge challenge but it was blowing a 35 MPH crosswind and it was still on snow tires. My impression was that the suspension tune on the Q8 was closer to the Cayenne than the Q7. Lovely vehicle, though I guess it should be.

Andy
So glad you got to test drive one... So I’ll assume you think the overall setup that we’ve discussed will work well for the Q8? Did you have a brake controller installed or just a Bluetooth one? Did your Q8 have the adaptive air suspension?
Old 04-06-2021, 11:24 PM   #1278
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Tom,

I really appreciate your detailed overview of the Q8 as related to other vehicles as well as your thoughtful comments on maintenance of the Audi Q8 with the recognition of it being a tow vehicle for a Flying Cloud 23FB. When I was younger getting a new car every few years was nice but as I am getting older it hasn’t been priority. For example we have a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI with 69,000 miles on it and love it. The amount we drive is minimal and having a virtual job since 2011 has helped a lot in that regard. My hope is the Audi Q8 will last the 7+ years if treated well etc... likely we will need to trade in the Q5 in the next 3-5 years again I anticipate we drive less than 5,000 miles based on our work life and living in a small beach town. I hope to travel ore with the AS over the next year or two especially after getting more familiar with it etc... So likely the Q8 will get to have some fun adventures.

I’ve got 2,000 miles on he Q8 since the 12/31/20 purchase and this was me “pushing to gain miles” before towing!

Thanks again I’ll review and save your comments and also see the thread you referenced.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #1279
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Tom,

I really appreciate your detailed overview of the Q8 as related to other vehicles as well as your thoughtful comments on maintenance of the Audi Q8 with the recognition of it being a tow vehicle for a Flying Cloud 23FB. When I was younger getting a new car every few years was nice but as I am getting older it hasn’t been priority. For example we have a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI with 69,000 miles on it and love it. The amount we drive is minimal and having a virtual job since 2011 has helped a lot in that regard. My hope is the Audi Q8 will last the 7+ years if treated well etc... likely we will need to trade in the Q5 in the next 3-5 years again I anticipate we drive less than 5,000 miles based on our work life and living in a small beach town. I hope to travel ore with the AS over the next year or two especially after getting more familiar with it etc... So likely the Q8 will get to have some fun adventures.

I’ve got 2,000 miles on he Q8 since the 12/31/20 purchase and this was me “pushing to gain miles” before towing!

Thanks again I’ll review and save your comments and also see the thread you referenced.
Only 2000 miles? I thought that you took the Q8 back to NY to bring your Mother-in-law out to CA - which would've added 6,000+/- miles - or am I having a half-zymer moment?

We're in the same boat since I moved to my home office full time in 1992, but then the next big drop in auto usage & auto insurance rates was when both kids moved out on their own, & then again in 2019 when my RN wife retired.

Now we seem to have to work hard to put 3000 miles per year on each car, but that did NOT happen during 2020 - with our Westy in the shop awaiting a rebuilt ECU, & our using delivery services as much as possible.

But I have you beat on keeping cars a long time. I've only had 5 cars since my first as a HS Senior in Fall 1969, and still own my #3, #4 & #5 - making the upcoming Cayenne as #6 TBD.

I'm the 2nd owner since 1975 of my #3 - 1973 Porsche 914-2.0 "914S" (2.0L H4 with 5 spd) - with about 172,000 miles, which I bought from the original owner 12/26/75 with about 45,000 miles on it, & then I added about 132,000 miles more over 10 years, for an avg. of about 12,700 mi/yr of my active daily driving up to 1985. It's been stored in my garage since then - after I did a rolling resto 1980-83 - & then it was hit in a parking structure while I was in MBA classes, & has been in an off-&-on slow restoration in recent years.

Next #4 is our 1985 BMW 325e E30 2dr Coupe since new May 8, 1985 (2.7L I6 with 5 spd) - with about 205,000 miles - avg. 5,694 mi/yr overall for 36 years, but higher in the early years as a DD - but only 385 mi in 2020 (now its turn in shop, then to paint/body shop).

And #5 is our 1988 VW Vanagon CamperGL Westfalia since new April 16, 1988 (2.1L H4 Auto) - with almost 230,000 miles - avg. 6,970 mi/yr for 33 years, higher in early years as DD, plus annual XC trips back East up to 2002, & kids learning/driving car (only auto trans in the fleet) - but zero (0) miles in 2020 (sitting in shop).

Our upcoming #6 car as TV will depend upon how many & how far we do towing with it, & I suspect that if a Cayenne - that it may become my wife's preferred DD, although that will still be at the much reduced 3,000 mi/yr of mostly local pleasure & errands driving, since she's retired.

That will leave me to make sure to exercise the other 3 now Classic Cars enough regularly to keep them running, & they are all quite capable of towing our little 660 lb Puck for some of the vintage trailer & camping outings.

The Westy has a hitch & tows our Puck; and I'm currently looking for a BMW/OEM E30 hitch now, with the 325e more than capable of towing the Puck & perhaps the Avion (not the plan though); and I may or may not get a custom fabbed repro of one of the aftermarket 914 hitches (VW & Porsche never had a factory hitch as far as I know).

Note that the above low annual miles driven doesn't include driving our rental vehicles on biz trips etc., & rental of TVs since 2012.

We'll probably likewise keep our Cayenne/TV long term too - like you - for at least 10+ years or until we can't drive anymore - barring something preventing us to do so.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #1280
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Arrow Cayenne Going All EV? ... Audi & VW??

Well Folks,

It looks like the Cayenne may follow the next Gen Macan as an EV - & that may also have spill over into the Audi & VW SUV/CUV stables as well - by 2025-30-ish timeframes.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-...oing-electric/

Cheers!
Tom
///////