Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #1281
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Yep Andy, we looked over some reviews and specs and we’re pretty excited about the MDX Type S. That could very well be our next vehicle. If you do a set up on one we will look forward to seeing what you think. Our MDX is at 145K miles but running great. I had Honda replace the PCV valve (found out about that on the MDXers forum) and it runs better with improved gas mileage. Hoping to get another year or two towing. Acura is positioning the Type S with BMW X5 and Audi Q7. Hoping the price will be lower and reliability good.

Steve
SteveNdebbie & whomever else are the MDX folks -

FYI - MotorWeek show on TV is testing the 2021 MDX - not sure if they'll cover the S - but this MDX test may be of interest to you.

https://www.motorweek.org/reviews/ro...2022-acura-mdx

It can be streamed or may be carried on your local PBS &/or other channel(s).

Here in SoCal we get it on KCLS 58.1 at 11:30 am Saturday mornings, if folks here are interested.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:53 PM   #1282
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Thanks for the heads-up, Tom. We are members of our local PBS and will watch on Ideastream.

Steve
SteveNdebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:53 AM   #1283
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Just in case there are some reading this thread looking for an alternative like the MDX there are a couple of impressive relatively inexpensive SUV’s available.

We have many customers with Durango’s which are a shared platform with Mercedes, a wonderful ZF 8 speed transmission and either the 3.6 or 5.7 engines. We have 3 customers with SRT8’s which have 20x10” wheels, Brembo Brakes, firmer springs and tighter shocks, they handle on a par with a Cayenne but with a 6.3 litre they are thirsty. For 21 you can get the 5.7 Hemi with a tow n go package. It has the SRT chassis upgrades with the more economical 5.7 litre.

The other is the Ford Explorer ST which has a 3.0 turbo, the 10 speed from the F150 and very good chassis dynamics.

Both of these are 120” wheelbase with reasonable rear overhang.

Still not a Porsche but 50,000 ish.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #1284
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Just in case there are some reading this thread looking for an alternative like the MDX there are a couple of impressive relatively inexpensive SUV’s available.

We have many customers with Durango’s which are a shared platform with Mercedes, a wonderful ZF 8 speed transmission and either the 3.6 or 5.7 engines. We have 3 customers with SRT8’s which have 20x10” wheels, Brembo Brakes, firmer springs and tighter shocks, they handle on a par with a Cayenne but with a 6.3 litre they are thirsty. For 21 you can get the 5.7 Hemi with a tow n go package. It has the SRT chassis upgrades with the more economical 5.7 litre.

The other is the Ford Explorer ST which has a 3.0 turbo, the 10 speed from the F150 and very good chassis dynamics.

Both of these are 120” wheelbase with reasonable rear overhang.

Still not a Porsche but 50,000 ish.
Andy & All -

IMHO the Lincoln Aviator is a better option over the Explorer ST - because all Aviators have the 400 HP/TQ Turba V6 of the ExpST; as well as Lincoln's Nautilus & Ford Edge for the 5-row, but they have the smaller HP/TQ V6.

However, FoMoCo historically & especially lately have dismal first 2+ years reliability & new model bugs - & all of the above have that problem since they introduced the new Explorer/Aviator RWD/AWD platform in 2020, & the Edge/Nautilus has the new model update issues.

The Durango & Grand Cherokee twins also both come in V6 & V8 flavors, but also don't have great reliability according to CR.

It's best to consult Consumer Reports on all of the SUV etc. choices out there.

Audi also has some interesting SQ7, SQ8 & S6 Avant wagons with powerful TT V8's, as well as their v6 TT powered versions - depending upon what they're towing, & they tend to be a tad less than the Cayenne offerings both new & used.

There seem to be more options out there now for HiPo mid-sized SUVs from worldwide now, but they will probably fall off again as the EVs & plug-in hybrids grow in market share & governmental requirements for the ever higher CAFE fuel economy & zero emissions vehicles grow.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 04-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #1285
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Just in case there are some reading this thread looking for an alternative like the MDX there are a couple of impressive relatively inexpensive SUV’s available. ....

This is slightly OT for this topic - but many on here also tow with Ford pick-ups so ....

Hey Andy - speaking of Ford quality problems -

Have you ever run into F250s 2017> where the 7-pin won't properly work all trailer lights?

Back in 2017 we rented 6 different F250s with big V8s (both gas & diesel) from Enterprise Truck Rental here in SoCal - and every one of them would only work the brake lights & signals - but no running lights on our restored 1960 Avion T20 (everything is still incandescent bulbs/fixtures).

It did so even when I tried the Curt/TowRight Bypass Adapter for Euro & other TVs with light-out software - but still no go.

I never had that problem with their 2016 & earlier models, & when the 2017> were not working.

And I could unplug from it & into any other vehicle & everything worked properly, including on a 2013 & 2016 F250 at the campground, as well as on our little 1988 VW Westfalia using a 7-to-4 pin adapter.

I even took the rental F250s (2 of 6) to the Ford dealership to have them look it over, & they claimed it was the trailer - until I made them pull alongside another pre-2017 F250 where it did work properly. After much head scratching & shaking - they had no idea what the problem was with the newer F250s.

So we literally had to limit our driving to daylight only for those 6 towing trips in 2017!

We haven't rented one since 2017 (we switched to RAM 2500 Gas & Diesel thereafter in 2018), & hadn't rented anything in 2019-20 nor so far in 2021 (if we get our Cayenne or alt. owned TV before taking the Avion out again, we may never rent again).

So I don't know if Ford fixed that problem, or if it still persists. It's too bad, because we preferred the F250 over the 2500 from that era.

Have you &/or any of your customers - &/or any others on here who use 2017> F250s had this trailer power/light 7-pin connector problem?
(maybe F150 & F350 too?)

I'm wondering if it is an endemic problem with Ford's newer tow options - & as such, this problem could also affect the Ford & Lincoln TV that Andy & I noted above.

So maybe it's not that OT after all!?

Thanx in advance for any feedback!
Tom
///////
Old 04-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #1286
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Chip Shortage Affecting Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 & others discussed here

FYI - Apparently the Chip Shortage Affecting Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 & others discussed in this topic are having factory shut downs. This may affect both prices & availability of them - at least in the near term.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/indust...0Non%20Openers

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 05-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #1287
2 Rivet Member

Madeira , OH
Pulled the trigger

After over a year of the pandemic and countless hours of research on which trailer and which tow vehicle to get, my wife and I have finally done it. We put a deposit down on a new FC 25 FBT that's potentially available September (still awaiting factory confirmation, and I will not get worked up if the date slips as seems to happen), and yesterday I flew up to Wisconsin and picked up a 2021 SQ7 . The drive home (about 9 hours) was really nice and I look forward to putting in a lot of miles with it as well as the new trailer. The Audi is just so freakin easy to drive and super responsive.

Now I just need the border to open up so I can get up to Canam to work with them on getting the SQ7 ready to pull (reinforce the hitch, etc.). Philip with Canam has been very friendly and super helpful so far, I'd love to give them my business. Wonder if they'd make appointments in August just in case the border opens?

Once all set up, I'll happily share our experiences with it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	395420  
Bier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #1288
2 Rivet Member

Madeira , OH
Spoke to Can-am today and will hopefully be up there towards end of August (trying to book somewhat far out to give more time for the borders to open up). Based on conversations over the last year here's what I'll be doing to get the SQ7 ready to tow our FC 25FBT:
  • Reinforce the factory receiver
  • Set up an Eaz-lift elite weight-distribution hitch
  • setup 2 friction sway controls
  • install a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller (going for the wired vs. wireless for reliability)

Really looking forward to getting the work done and getting our new trailer for some late summer/fall camping
Old 05-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #1289
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Orillia , Ontario
25 foot

Oh for sure you will need a F350 diesel or equivalent to pull a 25 foot.
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #1290
2 Rivet Member

Madeira , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Oh for sure you will need a F350 diesel or equivalent to pull a 25 foot.
Good one.

But in all seriousness, I don't get the folks that seem to bad mouth certain SUV's (all SUV's) for towing so long as the SUV's have the capacities/capabilities to do so safely. If they want to use an F250 or more, fine, good for them and I don't mock them for it as it's what they want. When I was looking at what TV to get I know the SQ7 (and other SUV's) has plenty of towing capacity, with wdh can easily handle the tongue weight, has the payload capacity, etc. etc. On top of that it also has way better brakes, handling, etc. and isn't much more than a lariat and same price as a platinum. I guess I'm missing something but I just don't understand the SUV scorn. ah well
Old 05-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #1291
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier View Post
Spoke to Can-am today and will hopefully be up there towards end of August (trying to book somewhat far out to give more time for the borders to open up). Based on conversations over the last year here's what I'll be doing to get the SQ7 ready to tow our FC 25FBT:
  • Reinforce the factory receiver
  • Set up an Eaz-lift elite weight-distribution hitch
  • setup 2 friction sway controls
  • install a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller (going for the wired vs. wireless for reliability)

Really looking forward to getting the work done and getting our new trailer for some late summer/fall camping
FWIW Bier & All -

My Tekonsha RF has been entirely reliable since July 2012 - almost 9 years now.

So I don't know where you're getting that unreliable info on the Tek RF units, and it probably isn't helpful to others to spread that they are somehow unreliable - or more unreliable than the hardwired version of Prodigy.

And there are many user advantages to the RF Prodigy - such as:

The handheld controller is close at hand & easier to use the trailer brake boost button in hand - than reaching for the under dash button on the hardwired Prodigy.

The RF unit on the trailer A-frame allows you to use any other tow vehicle as well as your primary TV, including in an emergency if you have a TV breakdown & need to rent a TV - & if you get another trailer, you can still take off the RF & move it to the new trailer.

Not having to mess up the dash of a high end SUV/TV by mounting the hard wired Prodigy would probably help on resale of most vehicles, because it doesn't cut out the portion of the potential resale market who don't want to tow &/or those who don't want to have their fancy "pre-owned" Audi, Porsche, BMW, MBZ, etc. messed up with anything, including brake controllers.

Coming from the Porsche & BMW clubs, & being a PCA Concours judge for 11 years seeing all the fussier owners, I can say that the latter may be something that you should consider Bier for your SQ7, as well as the other benefits of the RF which I stated above.

Also it's best to let others make their own decisions on the RF - without saying that they're unreliable, when they are not.

BTW - I love the SQ7 & other new wave of Audi SUV & Wagon/Touring V8s, & had posted about them a while back when they were coming out here in the States.

Nice Choice on your SQ7 & can't wait to see pix of your new rig all together!

PSS All - it's a great choice if you want a performance V8 3-row SUV/TV to seat 6-7 &/or have a bit more cargo space than it's Cayenne GTS/Turbo 2-row 5-place cousins (& Urus).

I can't tell from your pic earlier if it's black or a dark blue or grey - what color is it?

PS - I find it interesting that - after abandoning V8s in their SUVs, except in their higher priced Cayenne Turbos - That Audi has brought them back in the SQ7, & Porsche is bringing back the V8 in their Cayenne GTS.

Porsche also had so much pushback about their flat-4 718 Boxters & Caymans, that those are now getting flat-6s again in their GTS version.

IMHO as a longtime `73 914-2.0 owner since 1975 - I've always thought that was a huge mistake on the Boxster/Cayman line which are identified as true 2-place sports cars with flat-6 motors, rather than making a "Sub-Boxster/Cayman" Nue-914, Nue-718/550, etc. for their excellent Turbo-flat-4 powerplants, at a much lighter 2500+/- weight sports car.

That would've been a better move to pull in more new buyers looking for an entry P-car, or for an affordable 3rd or 4th fun-for-2 P-car, &/or for a lighter & decontented weekend track, DE or Autocross P-car.

Porsche currently misses that entire sports car market segment, & loses out to their Alfa, Toyota/Subaru twins, Miata/MX5-Fiat twins, etc. competitors!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 05-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #1292
2 Rivet Member

Madeira , OH
You are right I do not know specific reliability and was going by perception of wired being more stable than the potential for interference with a wireless. I can't figure out how to edit the post to remove that portion, my apologies.

Color - It is Orca Black Metallic. I wasn't specifically trying to get this color but I think it looks good and was the deal I was hoping to get

I agree about the odd move to 4cyl for the boxster/cayman. It is exactly the reason that I purchased a 2014 when I picked up my previous boxster s as it still had the flat 6. IMHO way better sound, feel, etc. Sadly I let her go when I moved to Ohio from Cali. It was my daily driver and couldn't justify it considering the weather we get here (so few days you actually want to put a top down compared to the bay area).
Old 05-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #1293
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
So I don't know where you're getting that unreliable info on the Tek RF units, and it probably isn't helpful to others to spread that they are somehow unreliable - or more unreliable than the hardwired version of Prodigy.
Tekonsha units may be very well-made, and I'm glad you've had no trouble, but wireless is always going to be less reliable than hardwired, because all it takes is something very dense in between or some very RF-noisy device in the vicinity to disrupt a wireless connection.

I considered going wireless, for the reasons that you mentioned, but steered away from it when I ran into trouble finding details from the manufacturers about the type of RF connection, to try to gauge the likelihood of it being disrupted. The lack of information said to me that they either haven't considered the potential issues, or have considered them but chose an RF option (perhaps because of cost or component availability) anyway that was more vulnerable to interference.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #1294
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Des Moines , Iowa
2021 Audi Q7 and 2021 Caravel 19CB

Hi all, completely new to all of this and have searched through several forums and groups on Facebook, but still so many questions! Our Airstream arrives within a week and dealer said they're not familiar with our tow vehicle, so will need to research it once the trailer arrives. Local Audi dealer really has no idea or input.

The TV and Airstream stats:

2021 Audi Q7 55 TFSI
Combined weight occupants/cargo not to exceed 1,202 lb.
Max trailer weight 7,700 lb.
Max tongue weight 770 lb.
Air suspension (w/trailer mode)
Factory tow package (receiver and wiring)
Tires 285/35 R22 106Y

2021 Caravel 19CB
Hitch weight 550 lb.
Unit base weight (w/LP & batteries) 3,850 lb.
Max trailer capacity 5,000 lb.
Net carrying capacity 1,150 lb.

Notes from Q7 Owner's Manual in section "Trailer towing":
-"Never mount a "weight-distributing" or "load-balancing" trailer coupler as the trailer hitch. The vehicle was not designed for these types of trailer hitches. The trailer hitch can malfunction and the trailer can break off from the vehicle."
-"Audi recommends always using the maximum permitted tongue weight"
-"drive select Comfort mode must be selected" (affects vehicle height/tongue load)
-"air suspension trailer mode must be switched on"

I've seen many of the posts about installing a weight-distributing hitch on this tow vehicle, but also see many references to the different specs as well (year, factory tow package, air suspension, etc.) - doesn't that make a difference to installing at least the WDH? Dealer is recommending (w/o researching) a 6,000 lb. Equalizer(?) WDH with stabilizer bars. He also mentioned only installing stabilizer bars, but said I wouldn't be able to back up with those (same thing as anti-sway?). Can I just install the sway bars and not the WDH?

Additionally Audi dealer recommends (from their parts dept.):
CURT Ball Mount ZAW092730B
CURT TriFlex Brake Controller ZAW055204A

Airstream dealer recommends:
CURT Echo Bluetooth brake controller

Also need: ball (2 5/16?), ??

Looking for any point-of-view, experiences, guidance, input, etc., thanks!
mdwstnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:55 AM   #1295
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
You definitely need a weight distribution hitch and a sway control.

If you send me an email andy@canamrv.ca

I can send you all the information. Do not use the Curt Echo control on the Audi a Tekonsia RF control will be much better.

You’ll love how it tows once you have it configured.

Andy.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #1296
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post
Tekonsha units may be very well-made, and I'm glad you've had no trouble, but wireless is always going to be less reliable than hardwired, because all it takes is something very dense in between or some very RF-noisy device in the vicinity to disrupt a wireless connection.

I considered going wireless, for the reasons that you mentioned, but steered away from it when I ran into trouble finding details from the manufacturers about the type of RF connection, to try to gauge the likelihood of it being disrupted. The lack of information said to me that they either haven't considered the potential issues, or have considered them but chose an RF option (perhaps because of cost or component availability) anyway that was more vulnerable to interference.
I've had ZERO issues with RF interference either over 9 years, & Tekonsha has many more years than that with many customers with no issues that I've seen. That is the real world in operation experience.

As for your stated interference or signal blocking from "something dense in between" - it's only 10'-15' or less from the trailer A-frame to the driver's seat, & perhaps if you put a huge steel bank safe in the truck bed or SUV cargo area - then you may have some blocking - but even then the signal is able to get to the cab unit.

That RF interference seems to be more of a problem with the cheaper Curt one that plugs into the 7-pin & uses bluetooth to your cell phone as the controller.

So I think that your concerns are non-issues from my & other Tek RF users' experience.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 05-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #1297
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Welcome Midwesterner!

If you look back in this topic's rather long history, you'll be able to read up on many of the issues which you mention.

There are several recent posts on what all to check for your TV & AS specs, & to also get the actual weighed weights of them & not using the "book ratings" as what they will actually be for your AS wet & loaded - particularly at HW & actual Trailer wt.

Also - your question about the WD Hitch on the Q7 in the owner's manual comes up several times a year, & it was covered yet again a few weeks/months back - so look at them. The manual is not updated for the USA WD hitch allowance, but you will find both load bearing/no-WD & distributed/WD tow ratings on that hitch decal listed on the sticker on your Audi/OEM-Supplier factory hitch.

If your hitch does not have both, then they stuck on the wrong Euro/UK decal, and you should request the proper USA hitch ratings decal from the dealer. There are also a few recent posts on that & how to get a replacement.

FYI - WD hitches are not legal in the EU & UK, but they are in the USA, & VW-Audi-Porsche-etc. are not very thorough about getting manuals right, etc.

If you have an aftermarket hitch, then I'd recommend that you get the factory hitch installed & the Q7 programmed for same by the dealer (even if you install the hitch yourself) - because the factory hitch etc. & reprogramming the ECUs/ECMs automatically resets the Q7 to towing mode for braking, gear shifts, etc. This subject area too is covered in this topic.

So while you may have done searching on other forums & spacebook - you will also need to read up on your issues within this topic too.

Lastly - take Andy T up on his offer to help guide you to set your rig up, as he's done many Q7s, Touaregs, Cayennes, etc.

PS - The Curt Echo is the one that I mentioned above that has had problems, and there are a few other topics about that brake controller on this Forum.

I've used the Tekonsha Prodigy RF one mounted on my Avion's A-frame since 2012 when we got that vintage kin trailer. I've covered it's advantages earlier in this topic thread several times, & I think that there's a few separate topics on their RF unit as well on here.

If I were to do an under dash mount, then I'd get the sister Tekonsha Prodigy controller - over the Curt.

And for the most part any USA 2" ball is about the same, so long as you get the correct wt. rating for your Q7's 7700 lb towing capacity & 770 lb HW rating.

I suspect that your AS dealer is recommending what they sell. You can get that above & below equipment from your local Trailer/RV & Tow shops & online, & from eTrailer, Walmart (best selection at Superstores), Camping World & a lot of other retailers.

Also if not already installed, I'd suggest a combo 4-pin/7-pin trailer electrical hook-up from one of the major manufacturers.

Safe Travels!
Tom
///////

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstnr View Post
Hi all, completely new to all of this and have searched through several forums and groups on Facebook, but still so many questions! Our Airstream arrives within a week and dealer said they're not familiar with our tow vehicle, so will need to research it once the trailer arrives. Local Audi dealer really has no idea or input.

The TV and Airstream stats:

2021 Audi Q7 55 TFSI
Combined weight occupants/cargo not to exceed 1,202 lb.
Max trailer weight 7,700 lb.
Max tongue weight 770 lb.
Air suspension (w/trailer mode)
Factory tow package (receiver and wiring)
Tires 285/35 R22 106Y

2021 Caravel 19CB
Hitch weight 550 lb.
Unit base weight (w/LP & batteries) 3,850 lb.
Max trailer capacity 5,000 lb.
Net carrying capacity 1,150 lb.

Notes from Q7 Owner's Manual in section "Trailer towing":
-"Never mount a "weight-distributing" or "load-balancing" trailer coupler as the trailer hitch. The vehicle was not designed for these types of trailer hitches. The trailer hitch can malfunction and the trailer can break off from the vehicle."
-"Audi recommends always using the maximum permitted tongue weight"
-"drive select Comfort mode must be selected" (affects vehicle height/tongue load)
-"air suspension trailer mode must be switched on"

I've seen many of the posts about installing a weight-distributing hitch on this tow vehicle, but also see many references to the different specs as well (year, factory tow package, air suspension, etc.) - doesn't that make a difference to installing at least the WDH? Dealer is recommending (w/o researching) a 6,000 lb. Equalizer(?) WDH with stabilizer bars. He also mentioned only installing stabilizer bars, but said I wouldn't be able to back up with those (same thing as anti-sway?). Can I just install the sway bars and not the WDH?

Additionally Audi dealer recommends (from their parts dept.):
CURT Ball Mount ZAW092730B
CURT TriFlex Brake Controller ZAW055204A

Airstream dealer recommends:
CURT Echo Bluetooth brake controller

Also need: ball (2 5/16?), ??

Looking for any point-of-view, experiences, guidance, input, etc., thanks!
Old 05-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #1298
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier View Post
You are right I do not know specific reliability and was going by perception of wired being more stable than the potential for interference with a wireless. I can't figure out how to edit the post to remove that portion, my apologies.

Color - It is Orca Black Metallic. I wasn't specifically trying to get this color but I think it looks good and was the deal I was hoping to get

I agree about the odd move to 4cyl for the boxster/cayman. It is exactly the reason that I purchased a 2014 when I picked up my previous boxster s as it still had the flat 6. IMHO way better sound, feel, etc. Sadly I let her go when I moved to Ohio from Cali. It was my daily driver and couldn't justify it considering the weather we get here (so few days you actually want to put a top down compared to the bay area).
I think that you can only edit your posts on here for 30 minutes, but your post above clarifies it for others.

I think your Orca is similar to the Cayenne metallic black - whatever they call it. We're not black car folks for several reasons, but I've always loved non-metallic black with tan interior on Porsches & other cars.

Geesh! You're a glutton for punishment - moving from California to Ohio!

After my Dad moving us to San Diego from Pittsburgh in 1963 for his new job, he had another job transfer to Indy in 1971, & my Mom was always trying to convince me to move back there, but I was in college with a scholarship then - so that got her off my back .... for a while! I never did move!

Too bad about the Boxster S too!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 05-19-2021, 11:51 PM   #1299
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
+1 on Prodigy. One anecdote/experience: the RF remote is for the controller settings/ not the brakes. So If you unplug the remote- or lose signal- the brakes still use the last setting and still work (although you can’t change them)

I change settings regularly via the RF remote when on surface streets. I find the setting I like for freeway too abrupt for campgrounds or when entering a town/ city. I also keep it in hand (or nearby) when in curves or steep conditions so I can use the brake trigger. I have also forgotten to plug it in and that’s why I know the brakes still work..when the airstream is stopping abruptly at the slightest pressure at the first stop sign closest to my house

Cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post

ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #1300
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
We finally got our 2021 Flying Cloud 23FB and am towing with a 2021 Audi Q8. It works great! We use an EAZ Lift Elite 800 WDH with the factory tow package and the Curt Triflex as the AS dealer wanted to use what was recommended by Audi for the brake controller. I wanted Tekonsha P2 but hard to find the harness for Q8. Seems like Q7 harness is easier to get and maybe Q8 doesn’t exist?

Main issue is Curt Triflex has no on off and if I am but towing the car senses towing not sure if is because I have the hitch/shank still attached to square of the Q8 or the always on brake controller confuses the car as it always says tow mode so some safety features turned off.

The Q8 toes very well and the AS dealer is very impressed. They like the width of the Q8, the overall size and was able to park in driveway better than with the Ford F-150.

Any advice on why Q8 goes to tow mode automatically which turns off side mirror sensors etc…?
Imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote