Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 10:32 PM   #1381
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
VW 2016 Touareg V6

I know that this is a pretty old thread, but wanted to give a short reply.

I am now passing the 7000 mile mark towing with my V6. When I arrived in Montana, I had the VW dealer do an inspection of the factory installed hitch. I use a ProPride3 (version of the Hensley). Did very well through different terrain. I am scheduled to have a reinforcement of my hitch at CanAm (assume the border opens!)

Dealer said no issues and brakes and everything checked out. I mentioned to the Service rep that some wondered how I could tow with a VW, and I should have a larger 2500 PU, preferably diesel. His response was, "then why did VW put a hitch on the Touareg?" The most important discovery was the brakes on the Touareg/Porsche/Audi are incredible. I had a hard wired break controller installed, but if I had too, this vehicle would stop the without the trailer brakes.

If you had not read Andy's more recent article on setting up a Brake Controller, it was extremely helpful. I found most American dealers just advise to tow with a large heavy duty pick up. I remember telling someone, "if you look at the old pictures, an ad shows a a bicycle towing an Airstream. In the 60's, almost all the tow vehicles were passenger cars or station wagons.

We travel 6 months a year, and did not want to have a vehicle in storage all summer in Florida. We liked the ride in the Touareg. I only wish I could have found a newer TDI. The ones in Germany are incredible. Tow a tank.

Good luck. I check the hitch periodically. I have never heard of a factory hitch being bent by the WD hitch. Also, when I hook up the trailer, the car changes everything. I knows you are towing and the shifting changes accordingly. This is really a decent towing vehicle.

Edgar
Flathead1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:59 AM   #1382
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead1984 View Post
If you had not read Andy's more recent article on setting up a Brake Controller, it was extremely helpful.
Do you have a link for this? Always looking for more insight on the best brake controller settings.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:35 AM   #1383
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post
Do you have a link for this? Always looking for more insight on the best brake controller settings.

Here you go…

https://www.rvlifemag.com/brake-hints/

Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #1384
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead1984 View Post
I know that this is a pretty old thread, but wanted to give a short reply.

I am now passing the 7000 mile mark towing with my V6. When I arrived in Montana, I had the VW dealer do an inspection of the factory installed hitch. I use a ProPride3 (version of the Hensley). Did very well through different terrain. I am scheduled to have a reinforcement of my hitch at CanAm (assume the border opens!)

Dealer said no issues and brakes and everything checked out. I mentioned to the Service rep that some wondered how I could tow with a VW, and I should have a larger 2500 PU, preferably diesel. His response was, "then why did VW put a hitch on the Touareg?" The most important discovery was the brakes on the Touareg/Porsche/Audi are incredible. I had a hard wired break controller installed, but if I had too, this vehicle would stop the without the trailer brakes.

If you had not read Andy's more recent article on setting up a Brake Controller, it was extremely helpful. I found most American dealers just advise to tow with a large heavy duty pick up. I remember telling someone, "if you look at the old pictures, an ad shows a a bicycle towing an Airstream. In the 60's, almost all the tow vehicles were passenger cars or station wagons.

We travel 6 months a year, and did not want to have a vehicle in storage all summer in Florida. We liked the ride in the Touareg. I only wish I could have found a newer TDI. The ones in Germany are incredible. Tow a tank.

Good luck. I check the hitch periodically. I have never heard of a factory hitch being bent by the WD hitch. Also, when I hook up the trailer, the car changes everything. I knows you are towing and the shifting changes accordingly. This is really a decent towing vehicle.

Edgar
Hi Edgar -

This is actually still a very active thread up to 70 pages now - so you're fine to keep posting on here.

It really should be it's own sub-forum, but the website owners haven't allowed that to date.

Canada is opening on August 9th 2021 to only USA residents with full vaccination(s) + 2 weeks (i.e.: "Fully Vaccinated) - so get your shots completed if you want to get to Andy T at CanAm.

Also as far as towing with you Touareg - just tell the naysayers that ALL Touaregs, Audi Q7s & Q8s, and Porsche Cayennes are rated to tow 7716 lbs from the factory with no further options than the hitch.

Whereas the F150 & other 1/2 tom pick-ups that they're recommending to you are only base rated at 5000 lbs, & require 1-3 towing option levels up options to tow the same 770 lbs!

Happy Camping!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:37 PM   #1385
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Heading out tomorrow.. upgraded solar (Obsidian 600 watts) and upgraded inverter and batteries (Victron Multiplus and Battleborn 400ah)

Thought she looked good…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	763.7 KB
ID:	400306
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #1386
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
Bear tooth pass

11,000 feet.. smooth ride
Click image for larger version

Name:	4E1EFB4B-0EF0-46DC-A6AF-454D2BC71411.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	400322
cedonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #1387

Peoria , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweendk View Post
Hello, fellow Peorian!
I tow an 25FB, which is pretty heavy. As a point of reference, I get between 9 and 11 mpg, depending. Personally, I don’t worry about gas mileage. I probably would have bought a diesel pickup if I cared about it. My Cayenne is my daily driver, so poor towing gas mileage is the price I chose to pay.
Kirk
PS: 2016 Cayenne ‘S’
Hi Kirk! We're towing a Grand Design Imagine 17mke, which is significantly lighter than your 25FB. We're dealing with about 5500 lb loaded and tongue weight only about 620 lb. However, wind resistance might matter as much as weight and we're towing a brick relative to your rig.

We were camping and mountain biking at Comlara Park north of Normal last weekend, a hot humid one, but the towing experience is wonderful. Our mileage runs in the same 8-11 mpg range, depending on headwinds and driving speed. When not towing, we only get 17-18 mpg running around the Peoria area, while a good highway result is 23 mpg. A 50% reduction when towing isn't uncommon from what I've read.

We love the car, a CPO purchase when it was just 6 months old with under 10,000 miles. It had been a PCNA company car.
Dkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:54 AM   #1388
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
If someone wants to try a Urus it should tow nicely. Amazing how close it stays to the Corvette.

Lamborghini Urus vs Corvette C7 Stingray at Bridgehampton

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM   #1389
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Rancho Santa Margarita , CA
I am amazed at the ease of towing my TB19CB with my '08 Cayenne S. Just finished a 3 week 4800 mile trip. Averaged 12 mpg.

Sunday, about 30 miles outside Vegas, the right tire blew. I'm not sure if it slowly lost air then disintegrated or just blew. Traveling about 60mph and I felt a bump, think I saw the tire pieces in rear view camera, but thought something wasn't right. I said I think a tire blowout and pulled over. Sure enough, right tire gone. If it wasn't the bump or jolt, I may have driven for miles. It was so stable.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_131453.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	400738Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_131519.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	400739
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #1390
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
If someone wants to try a Urus it should tow nicely. Amazing how close it stays to the Corvette.

Lamborghini Urus vs Corvette C7 Stingray at Bridgehampton

Turns out this is a video of a video game. I had no idea they looked that realistic.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM   #1391
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Turns out this is a video of a video game. I had no idea they looked that realistic.
I was wondering how the Uris could hit the sand in a turn and keep grip at speed.
Amazed at the tow rating however!
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote