Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
Suspension Upgrades for Interstate - new thread ...

There have been some good threads on Interstate Suspension upgrades, but nothing new in a while. SO, after reading what I can find here, I would like to ask about the recent AGILE OFF-ROAD "RIP" RIDE IMPROVEMENT PACKAGE? ANYONE HAD THIS INSTALL DONE? HERE IS THE LINK TO AGILE: >https://agileoffroad.com/rip-kit-mercedes-sprinter/<

From one of the last comments on a 2015 thread, here is the conclusion from 73 Shark in September 2015: "If I am interpreting the title correctly, the spring assist kit is mainly to handle extra load. The Koni shocks should reduce sway and bouncing. An air ride suspension system should reduce the rear seat ride problem. Stiffer front and rear roll bars should reduce body roll."

I've got a 2016 GT and travel with a fully loaded vehicle, no towing but 2 e-bikes mounted off the rear hitch which with the carrier weigh about 350 lbs.
I have thought quite a bit about all the things folks have done to improve their ride -- but there is little that I found that is current.

Agile Off Road package includes a new 4/5 leaf spring upgrade, along with strut, spring and shock-absorber upgrades tuned to your specific vehicle weight. They call it a "RIP" - Ride Improvement Package, and offer for the 2500 and 3500, 2 or 4 wheel drive. It's pricey, but, if one did not go for the Air Ride Interstate package when they bought their Interstate, I think Agile has covered all the bases.

Thus, I am wondering if anyone has had this specific install done? Agile says they have done numerous Interstates, but has not offered contact info for anyone.

I would welcome comments from anyone who has gone with this solution.... here's the link.
>https://agileoffroad.com/rip-kit-mercedes-sprinter/<
Old 09-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Piedmont , California
I would love to get some input on this post, also...anyone out there????
crowltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
We have a 22’ AI that has a rear ride so rough that they could use it to train astronauts. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to improve the ride. In a nutshell, unless you are willing to go with a full airbag system like the VB (which I am not due to the expense), you will be disappointed with anything less.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
We have a 22’ AI that has a rear ride so rough that they could use it to train astronauts. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to improve the ride. In a nutshell, unless you are willing to go with a full airbag system like the VB (which I am not due to the expense), you will be disappointed with anything less.
Agree 100%. I initially installed Koni shocks, then upgraded to Fox rear shocks for Agile Off-Road. Also installed Dunlop Airbag assist system on rear axle. None of these improved the ride like the VB Airsuspension now offered by Airstream.

The airbags do allow me to adjust height of rear end, which is helpful.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:14 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Piedmont , California
Did the upgraded shocks help at all or do you agree that nothing works and only improvement comes from air ride system?
crowltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I had two issues: harsh ride in the rear and handling in windy conditions. Sumosprings, Koni shocks, heavy duty anti sway bar, and smaller commercial front tires helped on the wind handling. They had negligible effect on rear ride.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I made the mistake of trying Koni Gold rear shocks at the same time as Sumo Springs. The rear became WAY too stiff so I removed the Sumos and put in Boss airbags, BIGGER mistake, don't ever do that (!!). Now back to just Koni Golds and am happy with the rear, and we travel with 7000 lbs back there.

For the front, we upgraded to Koni Red FSD. While initially impressed, after 20k miles I'm disappointed. Too spongy. Would love to replace with Bilstein. I notice the guys in Idaho that specialize in Fox rears for Sprinters are still putting in Bilsteins in the front. I'm intrigued.
https://vancompass.com/collections/sprinter-2007
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowltb View Post
Did the upgraded shocks help at all or do you agree that nothing works and only improvement comes from air ride system?
Thought I answered this yesterday, but must have forgot to hit "Submit Reply".

The upgraded shocks did make the van more stable, but they did nothing to smooth out the very rough ride. Yes, only full airspension like that offered by VB can help. That is the reason it is now standard on new Interstates.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I could not imagine our AI without the air ride... glad that I do not know the difference.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I have a 2006, so I doubt very applicable, but...
I fit the Fox from Agile in the rear- really helped with roll on bumps/corners.
Koni on the front.
Both seem to help with crosswinds too.

The PO fit airbags in the rear- I can’t imagine that helping the ride unless a rear springs were softened so the air bags did more. I’m also not sure there is enough volume to be very effective in progressiveness.

I’ve never ridden in the rear- but a recently my grandson (2) was riding in the rear and said it was ‘jumpy!’.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #11

2022 Interstate 19
Rocklin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thought I answered this yesterday, but must have forgot to hit "Submit Reply".

The upgraded shocks did make the van more stable, but they did nothing to smooth out the very rough ride. Yes, only full airspension like that offered by VB can help. That is the reason it is now standard on new Interstates.
What do you mean by the VB is standard on the new Interstate? Does that mean the 2022 Interstate 19, 4x4, will have the VB Air suspension on them s standard feature?

Thanks!
HappyAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAI View Post
What do you mean by the VB is standard on the new Interstate? Does that mean the 2022 Interstate 19, 4x4, will have the VB Air suspension on them s standard feature?

Thanks!
NO. Only 24 & Atlas have VB Air.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
Suspension upgrade update:

Today (10/22/21) while searching for posts about "broken rear beds" on our Interstates, my original 2019 post on this thread which I started about suspension upgrades, showed up. So, here is my followup:

After much research and trepidation on what to actually do and who to choose to have it done, we had Hazzard Fabworks in Spokane Washington do a 2" lift on our rig, along with the addition of Agile Rear Leaf Springs, Bilstien front struts and Falcon tuned rear shocks. We then drove around 'the west' before heading back to Florida. This was done in May 2021; in June we put our rig into hurricane secure storage until this week.

We love our new suspension. The extra 2" makes us so very comfortable on most rough dirt roads, driveway lips, parking barriers, etc. [We also had Hazzard raise our propane fill and our generator exhaust so our rear wheels are now clear.] The ride is wonderful and handling is actually better. As we don't have rear riders, can't comment on any change in rear seating comfort. But, this is a very comforting and worthwhile upgrade. Cost was around $7300 and we stayed in the rig each night while Hazzard worked during the day. They were great!
Old 10-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Hershey , Pennsylvania
How clean of a job did they do on the relocation of the propane and generator exhaust. I would love to do that on mine for the added clearance.
broncowilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncowilly View Post
How clean of a job did they do on the relocation of the propane and generator exhaust. I would love to do that on mine for the added clearance.
BRONCOWILLY - AIJOE posted the nice pics on this thread

WACHUKO also has very detailed pics of relocating both here.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote