Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 01:18 AM   #1041
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Has anyone towed with an Audi Q8? Iím likely down to the 2020 Audi Q7, 2020 or 2021 Audi Q8, or 2020 Mercedes GLE 450. I found an Audi Dealer who has prior loaner cars that have less than 5,000 miles. Their 2021 Q8 has less than 50 miles and would be sold as CPO!

I know many people have the Q7 wondering about experience with the Q8? I prefer 5 seater over 7 seater as itís me, my wife, and our three year old daughter.
Imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:58 AM   #1042
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdakine1 View Post
Has anyone towed with an Audi Q8?
The 5 seater Q8 is essentially the same as the rest of us with Cayennes and Touaregs.

This guy tows with an RSQ8 but last we knew he wasn't using any kind of sway control or weight distribution. eek

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...q8-215678.html

This thread got locked:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ve-215681.html

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #1043
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Tow vehicle is a great match, the hitch not so much. I'd suggest something more flexible and easier to adjust, something with Sway damping more independent from WD.
Thanks; I am not a fan of the Equalizer either but that's what the dealer installs in Tampa. which do you suggest for the Basecamp 20X weights and the Q7? I have been using the Blue Ox SP for last 3 AS's, but mine were larger units (25's and now 28).
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #1044
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCountry View Post
The hitch weight limit on the Cayenne is listed at 617. If I assume a 30% weight reduction on the hitch by using a distribution hitch, is it a reasonable estimate to say I could put a trailer with up to 880 lb hitch weight on it?

Obviously, would measure, but trying to get a ballpark figure here.
XC - No.

Look at the sticker on the side of your hitch, & IIRC it says that the higher number is for WD Hitches (braked trailers). Some Cayennes have 770 lbs instead of 617 - which is 10% of their 7716 lbs max trailer wt.

I'm not sure why they reduced HW on some, while keeping the TW at 7716 - but it could be that they simply put the lower HW sticker meant for the Heavier eHybrid/Hybrid Cayennes which have the lower 6170+/- TW max limitation due to their batteries' weight cutting into the 7716 lbs. for other Cayennes.

You don't say which Cayenne you have nor which year, but look up the specs for your year, sub-model & drivetrain (V6, V8, PHEV, etc.) for your maximum HW & TW.

Also call your local dealer service mgr. & have them look it up in their factory Service Manual & send you a copy of the page applicable to your particular Cayenne's USA tow ratings HW, TW, Front & Rear Max Axle Wts., & GCVW (Euro ratings are a bit different & won't include WD ratings because WD hitches are illegal there).

If your HW is near the max. & using a WD hitch - then you may want to look earlier in this thread for a shop near you to do the CanAm hitch reinforcements & get the plans/specs from Andy T. at CanAm in Ontario Canada (too far to drive, but he's sent the info to other members here in CA).

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #1045
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Quote:
The hitch weight limit on the Cayenne is listed at 617. If I assume a 30% weight reduction on the hitch by using a distribution hitch, is it a reasonable estimate to say I could put a trailer with up to 880 lb hitch weight on it?

Friend, not many here would agree with that logic. Careful about working a problem backwards to get an answer youíre looking for. Read the MANY postings re tongue weight in this whole thread.
That said, I tow a 25fb with above the 770 lbs limit, and have had no problems (with a WD hitch). I made a judgement and am living with it.
Get ready... Here come the opinions!
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #1046
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Thanks; I am not a fan of the Equalizer either but that's what the dealer installs in Tampa. which do you suggest for the Basecamp 20X weights and the Q7? I have been using the Blue Ox SP for last 3 AS's, but mine were larger units (25's and now 28).
I agree, the Blue Ox is not a good choice for small trailers. Heavier than it needs to be and sway control is too dependent on WD tension.

I like the Andersen a lot, I switched to it from Blue Ox. It is a very gentle hitch but it is very sensitive to slop and flex in the system particularly the ball and coupling and the Attwood 88xxx and now the Demco which replaced it, both have a fair amount of variance in the manufacturing so you will want to first make sure The 2 5/15 ball fits in the coupler with just a slight movement up down, side to side, front to back. Also you don't want play in the shank to receiver either. I have shimmed both mine and it works really well. It is particularly good for small trailers though.

The EAZ Lift Elite with sway damper bar(s) and all the quality knock off models are great for small trailers. They work extremely well and are very easy to set up.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #1047
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:

Others have weighed in with relevant issues , but here are some other points. It is possible your year and model has a weak hitch as mentioned. Take some photos of the mount points and the receiver attachment plates and welds. We can tell you if the hitch is weak. If it is you can replace it or shore it up as mentioned. Once you have a good stiff receiver mount you can add WD and be effective and safe for weights to 850. More depending on other measures you take. Send the photos or have someone familiar with hitches look at it.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:18 AM   #1048
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Good point! What is your tow vehicle?

QUOTE=Mr. Merk;2438203]The 5 seater Q8 is essentially the same as the rest of us with Cayennes and Touaregs.

This guy tows with an RSQ8 but last we knew he wasn't using any kind of sway control or weight distribution. eek

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...q8-215678.html

This thread got locked:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ve-215681.html

[/QUOTE]
Old 12-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #1049
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Others have weighed in with relevant issues , but here are some other points. It is possible your year and model has a weak hitch as mentioned. Take some photos of the mount points and the receiver attachment plates and welds. We can tell you if the hitch is weak. If it is you can replace it or shore it up as mentioned. Once you have a good stiff receiver mount you can add WD and be effective and safe for weights to 850. More depending on other measures you take. Send the photos or have someone familiar with hitches look at it.
I would never recco anyone exceeding the mfgr's max WD limit, because that is based on more than just the hitch - it has to do with the vehicle's max ratings on axles, total, braking, etc.

You also don't want to invalidate you warranty or have any liability issues in the case of an accident for overloading the TV.

Different trailer layouts end up with a high HW even when the total TW is well within the 7716 lbs for the C/T/Q7-8 (or whatever for other TVs).

In those cases, I'd say play around with your trailer loading to put heavier items aft of the axle(s) to try to better balance the HW by offsetting whatever in the front of the trailer's floor plan etc. which is making it front-heavy - by using a Sherline Scale on the hitch to see the effects.

Also remember that your HW will go up with the weight of the full WD/AS hitch itself hung on there - so do the test weights with the full WD up to & including the tow bar with adjustable if applicable (or stinger/etc. for Hensley/ProPride) attached to the trailer, but unhitched from the TV.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #1050
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Q7 is out due to 2.0L; looking at 2017 MBZ GLE350 4matic?

The Q7 wouldn't work out so my friend (actually, my son) now has a 2017 GLE350 4Matic in his sites to tow his new Basecamp20X. It has 26K miles, 1231 Payload rating, and has the tow package with Class4 hitch. Appreciate any experience input on this one towing the new Basecamp 20X and also of course, hitch recommendation...Andy, you out there?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:03 AM   #1051
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Good point! What is your tow vehicle?
2008 Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
The Q7 wouldn't work out so my friend (actually, my son) now has a 2017 GLE350 4Matic in his sites to tow his new Basecamp20X. It has 26K miles, 1231 Payload rating, and has the tow package with Class4 hitch
That's actually a pretty damn good vehicle. I work in service at Mercedes-Benz and they are one of the easiest to maintain. Spark plugs (& air filter) at 50k is a little labor intensive and then it'll get a trans service at 60k. After that it'll be regular A & B services until 100k
Old 12-08-2020, 12:34 AM   #1052
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
2008 Cayenne Turbo

That's actually a pretty damn good vehicle. I work in service at Mercedes-Benz and they are one of the easiest to maintain. Spark plugs (& air filter) at 50k is a little labor intensive and then it'll get a trans service at 60k. After that it'll be regular A & B services until 100k

How do we know what hitch comes with a vehicle? Iím looking at the Q7 and Q8 for a Flying Cloud 23FB. Unsure what hitch is factory installed?

Hitch Weight467 lbs
Gross Weight6000 lbs
Dry Weight4806 lbs
Cargo Weight1194 lbs
Old 12-08-2020, 06:25 AM   #1053
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
How do we know what hitch comes with a vehicle? Iím looking at the Q7 and Q8 for a Flying Cloud 23FB. Unsure what hitch is factory installed?

Hitch Weight467 lbs
Gross Weight6000 lbs
Dry Weight4806 lbs
Cargo Weight1194 lbs
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm only aware of one hitch. It has it or it doesn't. That trailer is within spec by a decent margin, so shouldn't be any issue.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #1054
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm only aware of one hitch. It has it or it doesn't. That trailer is within spec by a decent margin, so shouldn't be any issue.

I meant I think you said the Mercedes had a Class 4 hitch. Unsure if the Q8 or Q7 factory hitch is a class 3 or 4 hitch...? Not sure how to check...?
Old 12-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #1055
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Imdakine1, strictly the OEM provided hitch is neither class 3 or class 4. It is an Audi original part and is uncertified by the SAE testing and rating system but is separately rated by Audi for 5500 lb when installed aftermarket. When installed at the factory, the rating that applies is in the owner's manual provided with the vehicle for that model and year. Hope this helps. I obtained this information from the Audi parts catalog.

I took a close look at the diagrams and photos and see that it fairly with full welds on three brackets holding the receiver to a very sturdy cross member. Somewhat comparable to many but not all Class IV designs, and much better than all the Class II hitches and most Class III hitches I looked at. The hitch itself is certainly adequate for at least 800 lb tongue. It is a sturdy mount though perhaps the vehicle structure has some flex, given the mount attaches to the far rear of the Frame elements.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #1056
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Newbury Park , California
We have a Q8 that will be used to tow our Caravel 22FB with. A few observations...I would recommend buying a Q8 with hitch already installed. It can sometimes be hard to find one equipped the way you want with the hitch. Go for the 20 inch base wheel if possible. The higher spec models have 22...Huge wheels for towing! Installing the brake controller was a bit of a pain. Gaining access to the plug under the dash requires some fuss. Payload seems to be the only real limitation for us, so we gotta pack a bit light. Lastly, our Q8 does not have the air suspension. Over-all we really like the car and it ended up being a pretty good value as well. We were able to find a 2019, bought as new in the high 50’s...The only other vehicle we considered was the new Defender, but concerns over reliability steered us to the Audi.
tmartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:24 AM   #1057
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Imdakine1, strictly the OEM provided hitch is neither class 3 or class 4. It is an Audi original part and is uncertified by the SAE testing and rating system but is separately rated by Audi for 5500 lb when installed aftermarket. When installed at the factory, the rating that applies is in the owner's manual provided with the vehicle for that model and year. Hope this helps. I obtained this information from the Audi parts catalog.

I took a close look at the diagrams and photos and see that it fairly with full welds on three brackets holding the receiver to a very sturdy cross member. Somewhat comparable to many but not all Class IV designs, and much better than all the Class II hitches and most Class III hitches I looked at. The hitch itself is certainly adequate for at least 800 lb tongue. It is a sturdy mount though perhaps the vehicle structure has some flex, given the mount attaches to the far rear of the Frame elements.
Thanks for clarifying and looking at the diagrams abs photos... Seems like itís a good enough hitch for what we are hoping to do with the 23í Airstream. Getting closer to deciding in the Q7 or Q8!
Old 12-25-2020, 12:05 AM   #1058
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartino View Post
We have a Q8 that will be used to tow our Caravel 22FB with. A few observations...I would recommend buying a Q8 with hitch already installed. It can sometimes be hard to find one equipped the way you want with the hitch. Go for the 20 inch base wheel if possible. The higher spec models have 22...Huge wheels for towing! Installing the brake controller was a bit of a pain. Gaining access to the plug under the dash requires some fuss. Payload seems to be the only real limitation for us, so we gotta pack a bit light. Lastly, our Q8 does not have the air suspension. Over-all we really like the car and it ended up being a pretty good value as well. We were able to find a 2019, bought as new in the high 50ís...The only other vehicle we considered was the new Defender, but concerns over reliability steered us to the Audi.

Hi,

Have you finalized your setup for towing with the Q8? Did you use Audi Ball or another brand? Are you going to use a WDH or not? Maybe a sway bar(?)... Iím assuming our specs are similar as we will be getting the 2021 Flying Cloud 23FB!

Would love to hear more and more about your experience as we look to buy the Q8 very soon.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #1059

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
WD hitch and PASM

Hi,

New to the group. What a wonderful source of information.

I have a 2015 CT with PASM (air suspension). Tow capacity spec is 7,716 lbs and tongue weight max of 617 lbs. We pulled a 22' caravel quite happily last summer.

We've ordered a 25' FCFBT with a GVWR of 7300 lbs and a hitch weight of 837 lbs.

I really want to use the CT as my TV for the reasons that everyone on this thread already appreciates. My only concern is the max tongue weight. If I can use a WD hitch without damaging the PASM or any other component of the car then I feel that is the solution.

I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks in advance
Airstreamspw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #1060
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
What would cause you to doubt the manufacturers guidance? They set the tongue limit at 617 lb but a FB 25' loaded for camping after including a hitch will have a tongue weight near 1000 lb. What if somebody here tells you your vehicle can handle way more weight than the manufactures engineers say it can. What basis do you have to agree? The manufacturer tests the vehicle for performance and stability. Some installers do cornering performance tests using slalom courses but they don't do stability tests. How can you be sure the person telling you it is fine knows that the vehicle can maintain control if the trailer gets out of track and sways or begins to push the tow vehicle sideways. How can you know the vehicle has enough stability to pull the trailer back in line? Do you just trust them even if they have never experienced these situations? The manufacturer tests specifically for these issues and set limits on that basis.