Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #141
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Honor, Pride and Tradition an Installation from the Sixties

In the formative years of the WBCCI, traditions were established.

One of the highlights each year was the installation. It was the recognition of the change in leadership and the passing of the responsilities of safe-gaurding the Club.

I have included a picture of an installation group from the 60's. I recognize my Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, Art Costello, Enos Axtell, and Vic Raney.

What you see is the pride in the club, and accepted honor to be the leadership in the club.
Attached Images

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:25 AM   #142
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Why mess with tradition.... everyone dresses today just like they did in the early 60's. The early 60's is so popular that I went out and bought a trailer built in 1962. I just wish we had kept the tradition of four legged tow vehicles.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #143
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant
i signed up for mont already as i keep hoping things might change b4 then.

another thing that has bothered me is why is there a teen pagent? the girls i saw taking part in it were a little snotty and not very friendly. wouldn't a different kind of teen program be better for the teen population. how about a clown parade or project at a local hospital or a 3 legged race for cancer or ......... a little less special attention for the select few would maybe help them when they got older and became pres of wbbci.
i normally am not so negative but am so upset by what i see and read about wbcci. i will stick it out because of the nice people i have met. i am now a mal as the group was not what i was looking for. i hope i find a nice average group of average people who wear hawaiian shirts and love to laugh. thanks for letting me blow off steam.
I'd be a little surprised if much changed by next summer. Change is on the wind but it is not yet a fierce wind. IMHO, you should send a note/email/letter to the organizers and let them know about your displeasure at being singled out at Perry. Then in a different note/email/letter you should share your suggestions for the teen groups. I love the direction that you are going. Pagents are SO becoming a thing of the past. Yes I know the IBT is currently living in the past but sharing your wonderful suggestion is a way to encourage them to come into the present and future. Lots of little pushes can eventually add up to one big push!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #144
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
The Club President's New Clothes

Once upon a time there lived a vain Club President whose only worry in life was to dress in elegant clothes. He changed clothes almost every hour and loved to show them off to his members.
Word of the Club President's refined habits spread over his region and beyond. Two scoundrels who had heard of the Club President's vanity decided to take advantage of it. They introduced themselves at the gates of the campground with a scheme in mind.
"We are two very good tailors and after many years of research we have invented an extraordinary method to weave a cloth so light and fine that it looks invisible. As a matter of fact it is invisible to anyone who is too stupid and incompetent to appreciate its quality."
The campground host heard the scoundrel's strange story and sent for the club chamberlain. The chamberlain notified the club vice president, who ran to the Club President and disclosed the incredible news. The Club President's curiosity got the better of him and he decided to see the two scoundrels.
"Besides being invisible, your Highness, this cloth will be woven in colors and patterns created especially for you." The club president gave the two men unlimited club money from member dues in exchange for their promise to begin working on the fabric immediately.
"Just tell us what you need to get started and we'll give it to you." The two scoundrels asked for a loom, silk, gold thread chocolate doughnuts and then pretended to begin working. The Club President thought he had spent his money quite well: in addition to getting a new extraordinary suit, he would discover which of his subjects were ignorant and incompetent. A few days later, he called the old and wise club vice president, who was considered by everyone as a man with common sense.
"Go and see how the work is proceeding," the Club President told him, "and come back to let me know."
The two scoundrels welcomed the club vice president.
"We're almost finished, but we need a lot more gold thread along with more chocolate doughnuts. Here, Excellency! Admire the colors, feel the softness!" The old man bent over the loom and tried to see the fabric that was not there. He felt cold sweat on his forehead.
"I can't see anything," he thought. "If I see nothing, that means I'm stupid! Or, worse, incompetent!" If the club vice president admitted that he didn't see anything, he would be discharged from his office.
"What a marvelous fabric, he said then. "I'll certainly tell the Club President." The two scoundrels rubbed their hands gleefully. They had almost made it. More thread was requested to finish the work.
Finally, the Club President received the announcement that the two tailors had come to take all the measurements needed to sew his new tuxedo.
"Come in," the Club President ordered. Even as they bowed, the two scoundrels pretended to be holding large roll of fabric.
"Here it is your Highness, the result of our labor," the scoundrels said. "We have worked night and day but, at last, the most beautiful fabric in the world is ready for you. Look at the colors and feel how fine it is." Of course the Club president did not see any colors and could not feel any cloth between his fingers. He panicked and felt like fainting. But luckily the throne was right behind him and he sat down. But when he realized that no one could know that he did not see the fabric, he felt better. Nobody could find out he was stupid and incompetent. And the Club President didn't know that everybody else around him thought and did the very same thing.
The farce continued as the two scoundrels had foreseen it. Once they had taken the measurements, the two began cutting the air with scissors while sewing with their needles an invisible cloth.
"Your Highness, you'll have to take off your clothes to try on your new ones." The two scoundrels draped the new clothes on him and then held up a mirror. The Club President was embarrassed but since none of his bystanders were, he felt relieved.
"Yes, this is a beautiful suit and it looks very good on me," the Club President said trying to look comfortable. "You've done a fine job."
"Your Majesty," the club vice president said, "we have a request for you. The members have found out about this extraordinary fabric and they are anxious to see you in your new tuxedo." The Club President was doubtful showing himself naked to the people, but then he abandoned his fears. After all, no one would know about it except the ignorant and the incompetent.
"All right," he said. "I will grant the people this privilege." He summoned his Airstream, put on his Invisible Blue Beret and the ceremonial potluck dinner was formed. A group of officers walked at the very front of the pot luck dinner and anxiously scrutinized the faces of the members in the club campground. All the members had gathered in the main clubhouse, pushing and shoving to get a better look. Applause welcomed the regal pot luck dinner. Everyone wanted to know how stupid or incompetent his or her neighbor was but, as the Club President passed, a strange murmur rose from the crowd.
Everyone said, loud enough for the others to hear: "Look at the Club President's new clothes. They're beautiful!"
"What a marvelous train!"
"And the colors! The colors of that beautiful fabric! I have never seen anything like it in my life!" They all tried to conceal their disappointment at not being able to see the clothes, and since nobody was willing to admit his own stupidity and incompetence, they all behaved as the two scoundrels had predicted.
A child, however, who had no important job and could only see things as his eyes showed them to him, went up to the Airstream.
"The Club President is naked," he said.
"Fool!" his father reprimanded, running after him. "Don't talk nonsense!" He grabbed his child and took him away. But the boy's remark, which had been heard by the bystanders, was repeated over and over again until everyone cried:
"The boy is right! The Club President is naked! It's true!"
The Club President realized that the members were right but could not admit to that. He though it better to continue the potluck dinner under the illusion that anyone who couldn't see his clothes was either stupid or incompetent. And he stood stiffly at his Airstream, while behind him a lower officer held his imaginary mantle. Please no hate emails on the story, just laugh some and go back to planning your next Airstream outing.

Not sure why, but a story came to mind as I read the original post in this thread. I thought a few changes to the story by Hans Christian Anderson might be fun. I go out in my Airstream to relax and have fun. I would rather not have to dress up or even think of having to wear a Tuxedo. But to each his own. I think it would have gone over better if the email had said you had to wear a powder blue tux, those rock (NOT). To me the answer comes in who shows up. I saw the picture posted by pee wee where the men had white dinner jackets, and the women wore short formals, and respect that from the early days of the club, but those used to be more common back then. Everyone dressed for dinner when you went out to any place fancy. I know I have also seen camping films where the men all wore white shirts and ties, while the women stood by wearing dresses. I can not see myself doing that. But more power to those who wish to try. If I am elected to be a future President of the club, I want a pool party with Jimmy Buffet music, and everyone wears a smile. Having a good time will be required.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #145
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Middle (CLASS) of the Road

When I was a kid in 1968, 8 years old, my family went on vacation to Florida. I am not sure when the "properly dressed code" expired and casual took it's place. I was dressed in a "Sunday Suit" and my sister was in a dress, Mom was in a dress with a hat ( not a Blue Beret ) and Dad was in a suit. Those were different times back then...
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #146
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The reality is that the demographics of AS ownership, as well as the times, have changed. Unfortunately some folks really are stuck in the 60's. There was an era when belonging to a country club or a lodge or even driving a Cadillac were sought after status symbols.
Today life is on the go. Getting away means serious relaxation both in camping style and in dress.
Formal wear has it's place. Snobbery never is acceptable.
Leadership in any organization means being of service to the membership. All of the membership. This means being flexible and embracing change as needed. It also means setting the right example.
WBCCI should be about the comradery and the fun.
Not the pomp.
So, if the leadership wants tuxedos and long dresses, fine.
But, afterward show us then that you are not the prehistoric fossils that you come across as. Balance it out.
One way would be some levity about the whole ceremony.
Perhaps a dunk tank that the new president in all his finery would sit over while others attempt his baptism.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #147
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Smile Clothing optional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Just a reminder/review about the dress code:
  • Clothes are recommended but not required.
Please exercise some personal judgement and wear venue-appropriate clothes. We are camping after all!
Clothing optional Airstream rally? Sounds interesting!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #148
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
I agree with a lot of the statements made in this thread. Although I consider the white tux requirement a big crock of B**S, it is the incoming Presidents party. I would hope for better judgement from this individual. If I were in a postition that was allowed to attend the dinner I would send my regrets and maybe show up with the commeners in my Hawiian shirt.

I hope Mr Larson will reconsider.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #149
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Like I have said before on this board, the present WBCCI is a club for retired senior citizens with money (some local chapters excepted).

Nothing wrong with that. Let them have their fun. It's just not a club for me and they obviously don't want me in the club.

By the way, what is the age range of the WBCCI leadership? 80's?
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #150
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
When I was a kid in 1968, 8 years old, my family went on vacation to Florida. I am not sure when the "properly dressed code" expired and casual took it's place. I was dressed in a "Sunday Suit" and my sister was in a dress, Mom was in a dress with a hat ( not a Blue Beret ) and Dad was in a suit. Those were different times back then...
I sure hope you had air conditioning in your car. I can remember vacationing with my parents about the same time. We dressed fairly casual and didn't have air conditioning in our car.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
In the formative years of the WBCCI, traditions were established.

One of the highlights each year was the installation. It was the recognition of the change in leadership and the passing of the responsilities of safe-gaurding the Club.

I have included a picture of an installation group from the 60's. I recognize my Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, Art Costello, Enos Axtell, and Vic Raney.

What you see is the pride in the club, and accepted honor to be the leadership in the club.
PeeWee thanks for sharing you picture. What I see is a group of nicely dressed people, many dressed identically.

What you were privy to know, but one cannot see or assume from the picture are traits. Pride and honor is also on the new horizon and not only an old tradition. Clothes do not make the man or woman. Keeping up appearances or showy displays or required dress codes have not passe and unpopular for a long long time succeeding that generation. I think the members while embracing history would like to see that leadership making goodwill gestures and gestures of good faith and action TOWARDS the GENERAL membership and we just haven't seen anything of the kind yet. There has not been a whisper from the leaders to be politically correct or show sensitivity with change in the club to date. It isn't the formals and tuxes, it is the refusal to throw a mere bone from the well laden table.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I vote for clothing optional Be who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #153
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Like Bfred, we will not be renewing our membership. The IBT just doesn't get it and I am too old for all this foolishness. If you go on the WBCCI forums, WBCCI Forum - you can see how they are spending our money. Well, they won't have mine to spend next year.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Anyone know if tux rental is an expense for reembursement or just the travel to Bozeman for the second time on "business" in a 12 month period according to that link Jim just gave? Wouldn't it be cool if they waived their appreciation dinner and threw a shindig for the members and mingled instead?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #155
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I don't have a problem with a formal inauguration dinner for the president as long as the tuxes and formal gowns aren't expensed to the club. That is, after all, not for the general membership and we aren't required to rent a tux or gown anyway.

I do think there are aspects of the club that aren't keeping up with the times, but there are things I think people get too worked up over. This formal inauguration is one of them. If I were going to be at the International next year, I would either not go for the meet and greet line to meet the new president, or I would wear khakis and a sport coat...notice I said sport coat not suit and tie, this is camping after all, but I would want to be respectful, other wise, how would I expect the man/woman (in the future) to ever take me seriously when I contacted him/her with an issue if I didn't take him/her seriously now.

Give the president his due and his party the way he wants it. In the future, new presidents might be more in touch, but until then, this is what we have. Change is coming, at least I hope it is, but it isn't going to happen before next summer.

Be patient and guide that change along. It will happen. If you aren't here to help it along, then you probably won't like the way it turns out.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #156
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Good luck to all of you in changing the WBCCI. I hate to be a quitter, but I have run out of fight. It seems I have been fighting for something most of my life. I have served my country in Viet Nam. Been a union stewart,union negotiator,became a CEO of a steel erection company and served 14yrs as a school board member.
Now that I am retired,I don't have the fight left in me to bicker about a hobby I so dearly love or the time to wait for the change.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #157
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
bfred, Thank you for your service... my father flew for the 1st aircav. Not many folks thanked him, so I want to thank you. You can leave if you want, but I hope you stay.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #158
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
I read a saying, Keep your chin up, but be sure to keep your nose at a friendly angle.
The nose angles are getting pretty steep.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I am not a member now, nor do I intend to become a member....largely due to the insanity of some people that attempt to make it a religious experience to belong to the WBCCI.....
I only wear a tux for important innaugurals.....and then it is with black ostrich boots, black wranglers, and tux coat/tie....and my 30x black felt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01755a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	45645  

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Dillon , South Carolina
Thumbs up Why not?

C'mon people--give our officers a break. They have volunteered & worked diligently & unselfishly for six years, often times longer, to reach this one night of recognition for their leadership & service to our club. Allow them to dress anyway they like & enjoy it! Each incoming president has the choice of mandating the dress code for his installation ceremony. It has been done this way as far back as I remember since becoming a member in 1971. The dress code in past years has been formal as I recall except for this past rally in Perry where President Don mandated, as was his right, that the dress code would be the usual red jacket, navy pants, etc. worn by our officers at most functions. This mandate affects only the International officers involved in the Installation Ceremony--members can dress anyway they please as has always been the norm--so what's the big deal! Many years ago this special night was the premier function at the International Rally & most of us looked forward to dressing up, partying with our officers & friends & dancing the night away to the music of a super band. Personally I'm thrilled that we seem to be going in that direction again. What's wrong with a little class?