Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Why are people trying to turn a camping club into a "country club"? Reminds me of the "Upsons" in the movie "Auntie Mame".
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #102
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Well it is am Airstream! Everything else is just a travel trailer! There are people out there who think just because they own an Airstream they are better than the rest of us. I am not one of them. I like the cool looking trailer and the possibility that I will have it for a long time. If I can keep it on the highway ;-)

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
The Facts

Just a couple of clarifications on the tux issue. This was a requirement of ONLY IBT members NOT the general WBCCI population. This dress code was for the Installation Dinner and the Ball in the evening. The general population is not invited to the Installation Dinner, which is just for IBT members. We are invited to the reception after the evening program that night. There is a reception line in which you can shake the hand of your favorite IBT member and have some cake and punch and if you are so inclined dance to the band.

I have attended the reception a couple of times, the first was an eye opener! We showed up to support our new Region President in shorts and tees, WAYYYYYY underdressed! The next time we went was a number of years later when our girls were Teen Queen participants, to support them for the most part. The way we dressed was much different so we did not stick out like sore thumbs and also to keep from embarrassing our kids. But I drew the line at khakis and a golf shirt, I may have worn a short sleeve button down shirt, can’t really remember. We fit in better but may have still been considered underdressed. Either way as the years went on more and more attendees we dressing like me and not in suits as was the case at first.

Also I should say that the only reason I posted this was because of the responses I had a chance to read from a number of Region Presidents not supporting the tux/dress mandate. They get it, and the guy I received Larson’s email gets it, they all want to close this gap between the membership and the IBT, this is a huge step in the right direction.

So how do we show our support for this group that is concerned with the future of our club? I propose that we go to the reception, we get in that reception line and we shake the hands of the IBT officers, all dressed in our very colorful Hawaiian shirts and shorts! I think this dress code, if the numbers are large enough, just might open their eyes without being totally disrespectful. Just maybe we might be able to convince a couple of those guys in the white tuxes to have their favorite Hawaiian shirt on as well!

Don’t run from a very cool club (you just have to peal the BS away) join and support those of us who want change, come to Bozeman. I can see our Installation Ball Night
Happy Hour now, lots of color and lots of good people getting together and supporting a great club!

Ed
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I like it

Ed,

I like the idea of shorts and hawaiian shirts, I have plenty of both. What day is the Installation Reception and Ball?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
I propose that we go to the reception, we get in that reception line and we shake the hands of the IBT officers, all dressed in our very colorful Hawaiian shirts and shorts! I think this dress code, if the numbers are large enough, just might open their eyes
I don't think they ever were expecting anything else. That'll show 'em?? How about they introduce themselves making the rounds amongst you in their hawaiian shirts after their fancy invitation only night instead of you johnny on the spot meeting their protocall? Not sure what you think they will see. But I am pretty certain they will see the homage they want to see and feed that separate ranking a cut above the rest. (Those there fancy feathered varieties are called peons.)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I personally don't think wearing a tux for any trailer event is appropriate.

BUT - - - - - I don't think its a good idea to quit the WBCCI - I think those who don't like it should JOIN the WBCCI - its the only way things will change....

To me - its just a trailer club.....

......whose purpose is to have fun.

Ken J.
4cu prez
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #107
Certifiable

. , .
Right now, there is a mandate. Before Mr. Larson recinds his order, who will be the first from the International elite class to stand up and publicly declare that they will NOT be a white tuxedoed lemming? Who's gonna be the first to shout, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it any more!" Something like THAT would show me that they "get it." That they are worthy of my support.

And why are all these Region Presidents speaking through you Ed? This is a fantastic opportunity for them! They can help pull back the curtain a little and show the rest of us that there are some intelligent, critical thinkers in the leadership positions. That debate DOES take place occasionally. That they are interested in listening to, and talking with, the members they are supposed to serve. That they are like you and me and just wanna have some fun camping in their Airstream.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Oh for the love of St.petersburg!!!!!

If I were to go to Bozeman, I would not attend anything I could not wear shorts and sandals to!.. tUX'S and formal gowns on a camping trip.

This may be the last time a few of them ever attend the international in an upright position so let them have their fun..

We could all get together and have a real camping party while they have a ball!

I would bring browies and Terry will bring the mudslids. What are the rest of you bringing?

Marie
Old 09-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

Well now! This posting was only placed yesterday and look at the attention its getting. Proves how big the readership of this forum is. So Janet - does this change the dress code the the BB Bash?? or are only the organizers going to be in "costume"? and, if you're out there 2AIR, I got a new hat. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #110
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Would you please pass me the Grey Poupon?

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #111
Rivet Master

This is not the first time

This is nothing really new. For many years, the IBT wore tux/gown at this event. As I was looking through the pictures of past International Installation Ceremonies, many times had the IBT wearing tux/gown. My understanding (and I could be wrong) Jerry is trying to go back to the "old way". For me, since I wear a suit/tie everyday at work and my wife makes me go to events that require me to wear "black tie" (lucky I own one, believe it or not ) if that's how he wants to "party" fine with me. The chances of us making Bozeman are slim, but if I did, who knows, maybe I'd wear a "pirate tux" just to remind all of the Perry "Flag Ceremony"
Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #112
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
Would you please pass me the Grey Poupon?

Tom
But of course!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	depraidabm7.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	45502  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I hope the person in that picture is really a scouter.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #114
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just want to say, I will be there. I will be bringing my wife, 9 year old daughter, and 1 year old daughter... we consider ourselves the new blood of this club. We will come, we will enjoy, and we will not get caught up in any kind of pomp and circumstance. This is going to be our main vacation of the year. I will be sacrificing 2 weeks of income to attend. I will spend well in excess of $900 just in fuel to do it. If some want to go camping in their tuxedos, well all the power to you... To those that want to have a new experience and share some good times, please look me up. I'll be in the old aluminum trailer out there in the field, my name is Frank and I look forward to meeting each and everyone of you.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Wow, what a discussion--remember this is why there is a 4 corners unit club today. Many of us enjoy our Airstreams and we would really appreciate a WBCCI not consumed with protocol.

Our lofty guy went to the oval office, big deal, turned mine down…Has he ever had an invitation to The Hong Kong Yacht Club in the British Crown Colony?

Come on we all have had our day, but to suffer the rest of the WBCCI on a point counting ego trip is too much. We really do hope he rescinds this “order”.

Have fun and go camping that is what this Airstream thing is all about.

John
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #116
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
The way I look at it

It seems every year there is another divisive issue facing WBCCI.As upsetting as this may be to some I truely believe that these issues will help speed up the changes that are sorely needed in the club.I don't feel the club is going to disappear,quite the opposite actually.A new stronger club will emerge 'down the road'.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:59 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick
Just a couple of clarifications on the tux issue. This was a requirement of ONLY IBT members NOT the general WBCCI population. This dress code was for the Installation Dinner and the Ball in the evening. The general population is not invited to the Installation Dinner, which is just for IBT members.

Ed
My question is not about dress code but about who is funding this event? If my dues is funding a dinner I can not attend I would like to know why. If it is on his nickle he can put on a white tutu and dance the night away.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:09 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I hope the person in that picture is really a scouter.
TRUSTWORTHY A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him. LOYAL A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation. HELPFUL A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward. FRIENDLY A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own. COURTEOUS A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together. KIND A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason. OBEDIENT A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them. CHEERFUL A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy. THRIFTY A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property. BRAVE A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him. CLEAN A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean. REVERENT A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.How many of the above dose he seem meet.

I give him Reverent just for the pose, and clean looks as if his Uniform is neat with the wrong cover.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
...I truely believe that these issues will help speed up the changes that are sorely needed in the club.I don't feel the club is going to disappear,quite the opposite actually.A new stronger club will emerge 'down the road'.
Mike,

I agree... we are already seeing signs of many good folks stepping forward to "save" the WBCCI.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
This is exactly why we are letting our membership expire this year. Too many retired military and teachers running the club. They both have a hard time with reality.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote