Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
2008 International -- Bozeman, MT

I'm opening the proverbial can of worms with this thread and I may regret ever thinking this was a good idea but here goes -

I'd like to collect some ideas for the 2008 Bozeman rally - I told incoming president Jerry Collins that I would forward a compilation of ideas to him to consider for the rally next year. Any ideas/comments (within reason) are acceptable. I'd particularly like to hear from people that have attended international rallies in the past and/or plan to attend Bozeman. Please be as specific as possible. I will collect ideas for a week or so then pass them along to Jerry. After that, this thread can continue on for general purpose Bozeman discussion. Here's a list to get things started:

Make recycling bins readily available in the trailer camping area and throughout the public buildings.

Include the Trailer Park Troubadours for an evening of entertainment. Combine this with an open house event to attract outside persons to attend the event.

Increase the number of RV suppliers/vendors. Camping World or other local RV equipment sales for hoses, connectors and other gadgets. Axle, brake manufacturers. LP gas tanks, fittings. Other LP gas appliances such as grills, campfires, etc.

Daily (maybe twice a day) orientation sessions - these would be quick 15 minute overview of where to find information, who to contact, area information. This could be done at the information booth but would be specific for finding your way around the rally, attending the right seminars, making the most of the event.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Lucius-

Greetings, and I congradulate you for taking the first and most difficult step forward to help Jerry with next years International Rally. Since you are posting right now I will share with you my feelings right now. What I would not be worried about is recycling bins or entertainment, but how to manage damage control over all the negatives that have been posted of this years rally. There is a large group, myself included, who were unable to attend this years event and solely depended on reports here on the forum from those who were able to attend. The official WBCCI web-site had little or no information on the day to day and very few forum posts. How sad that there was more information (including your post above) here than anywhere else. Yes we had some good posts, but considering there are more non-WBCCI members here than members, how sad. I feel your task may be harder than you think and that IBT needs to focus on Member relations (opps, they did away with that didn't they?) and polishing the image of WBCCI, the IBT and the International Rally.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Here are a few..

I thought I'd jump in early before flamethrowers get warmed up...

For the record, we attended Salem, not Perry (too far, hot and muggy/buggy), and are thinking about Bozeman...

Things that would make us more likely to attend and enjoy:

1. Schedule the side tours DURING the Rally, instead of just before the rally for benefit of volunteers. There were several we'd have taken around northern Oregon and southern Washington, but they all occurred during two weeks ahead of actual Rally.
2. Enable and encourage people to attend with trailers for less than 7 days... We checked in on appointed day, and felt guilty unplugging hose "Y" after 5 days, but had to go... It is admirable that volunteers get there several weeks early, and fulltimers can stick around, but it should be possible for members to drive to Bozeman, attend the rally and get home over two weekends and the week in between...
3. Set up private "for profit" caterer/snack bar/food area, so people looking for morning coffee or lunch burger/sandwich would have place to eat at Rally
4. Explain the cost/fee situation "transparently" so attendees understand what they're paying for and what isn't covered. For example, if contractor charges $75 for each 30A power box connected to generator, that's OK, just let people know...
5. Repeat as many seminars as possible at least once, as we missed a few that were only offered a single time...
6. If parking in open hay fields, make sure they're raked to avoid fire risk.
7. Consider having a large communal informal buffet style dinner in addition to evening meetings and entertainment... Again, could be contracted to caterer, tickets sold up to a day or two ahead, and benches/tables used to sit and eat with fellow travelers.. Works for aircraft types at Oshkosh, and other groups...

Good luck with the project...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The idea of Boseman is making me think of joining again.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
Certifiable

. , .
I stole this from 2Air:

3. Ideas for the International Rally
-Publish the rally schedule well in advance
-Have more socials/activities that breed camaraderie
-Have more of a festival approach
-More member-led seminars
-Have an Ambassador program in the parking area (assign volunteers as hosts in designated areas)
-Don’t dump the Vintage section on open house day
-Don’t break things down until July 5
-Be more customer service oriented
-Have training for volunteers in customer service and how to deal with difficult people
-Have a “night club” evening spot with a band playing music from post ballroom period
-Increase the number of vendors
-Bring in a mix of entertainers
-Use people who attended the International for the first time last year to help with the first timers’ seminar as they will be very in touch with first timers’ issues
-Schedule the International rally for Monday – Friday so people can travel on the weekends
-Offer more food vendors on site
-Have coffee in AM in welcome center
-Have more “active” activities, bike tours, etc.
-Show showers location on a map in rally program
-Have parking map in rally program
-Have FREE coffee and donuts every morning at International for members. It is a service and a social opportunity.
-Fix the parking and check-in process to improve attendee’s first impression

Old 07-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Lucius----I attended the Salem ralley in 06 and will be at Boseman in 08. I concur with Rick and Sandi to focus on the overall feeling you want people to remember about Boseman. For example, the leadership is glad we are here, the leadership is available, friendly and helpful. Have the IBT team out and about among the general membership activities the first few mornings. Meet & Greet plus on the spot problem solving. Figure out how to say yes to the member's concern. Empower these leaders to resolve all issues on the spot, eventhough the rest of the year the issue belongs to one of the other leader's area of responsibility. Make this job one. Call it good marketing, call it using common sense, no need to go to a fat book of rules & legislation to find an answer.

Compared to Salem, do this by minimizing the leadership meetings that run in parallel to the rally events, especially between 8 am-noon on the first days of the rally. Have the top leader delegate to the team if meetings must happen during prime time. It develops staff and the leader is moving on in a few days anyway, so the mentoring task should be finished by now.

Invite lots of OEM vendors that supply the components in our airstreams. As an example, have Sony bring a broad line of product, not just the items AS buys.

Some of us contributed some months ago on a similar topic at the WBCCI website with the communications liason, Renee. There were some good ideas there.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Bob-

Well said! I understand that business needs to be conducted at the International Rally but what most of the attendees come for is the love of their Airstreams and friendship. No one wants to take six or more days off from work, vacation time or what have you and be subject to stress and negative PR. How about having fun? If you want more WBCCI members and more of them to come to the Rally work on the FUN aspect.

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Bozeman

Try too set up an area were Vendor's can work on NON-MEMBER's trailers.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Wondering ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
Try too set up an area were Vendor's can work on NON-MEMBER's trailers. Don
Hi Don:

Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but how would doing this benefit the attending members or the WBCCI?
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
_

. , .
we really need a break from this topic...

like a month or 2....oh well.

some are suggesting 'more vendors' and i like that idea too.

but consider this...

vendors PAY for the space, along with travel/personnel expenses.

so the vendor needs to realize a business reason/gain to attend.

don't know how many vendors went to georgia, but salem was considered an 'off' year...

it is a long way from most rv suppliers, as is bozeman.

IF the membership really wants more vendors...

the wb' needs to cut fees or provide incentives,

perhaps new vendors could attend FOR FREE!

it will be interesting to see which a/s dealer covers bozeman...

since the missoula shop doesn't have a great rep.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Communications always seems to be an important item- -sometime its an issue and sometime its a problem.

Since many people have computers on-board, I suggest an official (or unofficial) ad hoc website be created to keep people up to date on activities, changes, news and the result of meetings. It would supplement the current communications methods.

In addition it would be neat if someone took the initiative and set up an intra-net system between trailers.

I wonder if it be one way to help pull the organization further into the 21st Century?
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Exclamation Rocking in the Rockies

Lucius, I knew when you were the head bartender at the DJ nite there would be good things coming our way, great thread.

We need Connie (correct me if that’s not her name {the person that set up the DJ thing}) to get rehired as entertainment chairperson.
  • Entertainment done in concert with todays music, dancing every nite.
  • If possible BYOB should be included; we are going there to have a good time after all.
  • New members need more hand holding & direction. This includes introducing them to as many as you can. This also may be the job of a membership committee person. As an example at the Sarasota Rally last Feb that person did a poor job.
  • We need to know who to contact if we would like to host a seminar. I would like to host a wheel packing seminar; too many people are getting ripped off having this service done.
  • The VAC should have several seminars on different aspects of restoration.
  • All seminars repeated if there was conflict or just missed it for some reason.
  • One nite there should be a barbecue dinner, maybe open pits cook your own.
  • Coffee every morning as a get together.
  • One or two pancake breakfasts, Or a pot luck breakfast.
  • Not sure how hot it is in MT but access to swimming may be an idea.
  • Vendor tables with information only, in others words not attended, this would cut the expense of running a booth and increase the number of vendors.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
I will collect ideas for a week or so
Start with this. What does it say about how important this feedback is if only a week or so is provided for it?

Then talk to Renee. She spent a year collecting feedback and ideas, many of which have been repeated here, already. Can we honor that effort and show respect for the work of previous volunteers?

For a third suggestion, try to connect the ideas offered to what is prompting them. Use that to try to get underneath the table and find the core and common things that will steer efforts effectively.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Thumbs up suggestions

I lived 2 hours from Perry and still decided not to go for a couple of reasons:

1) I know rules help keep order, but it seemed to me that a new person would never be able to keep up with all the rules and orders. I was very put off by the blue beret's list of rules.
2) lack of family events. I have seen a number of posts that talk about music and events that facilitate meeting other members. That is key to a family.
3) Ability to go for a shorter period of time. I saw this suggestion mentioned, but it is key for working families.
4) Recreation areas for kids. Playgrounds, hiking, fishing, biking, etc.

Thanks for asking for suggestions. It is time to start growing this club again!
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The shorter period thing is major.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Some ideas

1. What about pairing a Units or Regions with another, say an East Coast w/ a West Coast and have designated Pot Luck dinners one night. That way we get to meet others. Maybe a couple round robin type of events

2. Kids area

3. Daily Parking rates - give that option

4. Maybe an annual Wally Byam 5k run / walk through the grounds.

5. Big potluck dinners!

6. A boondocking area.

still thinking!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Does anyone have the contact info for the various commitee persons?

If so let's have it posted

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly
I'm opening the proverbial can of worms with this thread and I may regret ever thinking this was a good idea but here goes -

I'd like to collect some ideas for the 2008 Bozeman rally - I told incoming president Jerry Collins that I would forward a compilation of ideas to him to consider for the rally next year. Any ideas/comments (within reason) are acceptable. I'd particularly like to hear from people that have attended international rallies in the past and/or plan to attend Bozeman. Please be as specific as possible. I will collect ideas for a week or so then pass them along to Jerry. After that, this thread can continue on for general purpose Bozeman discussion. Here's a list to get things started:

Make recycling bins readily available in the trailer camping area and throughout the public buildings.

Include the Trailer Park Troubadours for an evening of entertainment. Combine this with an open house event to attract outside persons to attend the event.

Increase the number of RV suppliers/vendors. Camping World or other local RV equipment sales for hoses, connectors and other gadgets. Axle, brake manufacturers. LP gas tanks, fittings. Other LP gas appliances such as grills, campfires, etc.

Daily (maybe twice a day) orientation sessions - these would be quick 15 minute overview of where to find information, who to contact, area information. This could be done at the information booth but would be specific for finding your way around the rally, attending the right seminars, making the most of the event.

Lucius
Lucisu, as first year WBCCI members I am going to suggest something for the International Rally that is probably not allowed by the current constitution and bylaws. Let anyone with an Airstream register to attend the rally; even those that are not members of the WBCCI! This could be a great recruiting tool to attract new members . I'll cite an example of another club with similar goals and ideals to the WBCCI.

I am a 30 year member of the BMW Motorcycle Owners Association (BMW MOA). Since 1972 the BMW MOA has grown to be the largest brand specific motorcycle club in the world that is not owned and operated by the marque i.e. not owned or controlled by BMW. The Harley Davidson HOG club may be larger but that club is owned by Harley Davisdson. The BMWMOA holds their international rally at a different location every year much like the WBCCI. Rather than limiting attendance to members the BMW MOA allows any BMW motorcycle owner to register with the thought that they will enjoy the festivities, enjoy the camaraderie and fellowship with other BMW motorcycle owners and their common activities and become members of the BMW MOA. The BMW International rally is held in a different part of the US every year. It typically attracks between 4000 and 8000 riders to the four ot five day rally with members attending from the USA and many other countries.

You can view the BMW Motorcycle Owners Club web site for information on their rally and other activities that may be used as recruitment activities such as their excellent newsletter, the BMW Owners News, (BMW ON). http://www.bmwmoa.org/

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I am going to Bozeman next year. I like the afore mentioned ideas. I will be there most of the entire week. I really hope that my NW forum member buddies will attend, or I will be all alone ! so to speak. Great start to a thread. If I have any ideas not mentioned I will surely chime in.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
You have to be a member to go, right?
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote