Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Exclamation Lost members-why & how to get 'em back

An interesting fact at the International was that there are about 1,000 new members every year.

That IMO is pretty good considering the size of the club.

I think that could be better, it was suggested that a packet be placed in every new unit either by the factory or the dealer with club info and an application.

One member at the IBT stood up and stated that he bought his unit at Colonial AS in NJ, he was never told about WBCCI.

As an advertiser here and the Blue Beret that's appalling.

Anyone know the owner of that dealership?, he needs to be made aware of this.

The BAD news is we are losing about 1,300 a year.

We need to identify why they are not renewing, and each unit should perhaps assign one or more people to go back maybe three+ years find out why they didn't renew.

Not sure how to get to the MAL's?

How can we get a list of those old members?

My wife Cathy is willing to do that task for the Metro NY unit.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Lost Members

If WBCCI doesn't know why they are leaving by now, they are lost.
Just search WBCCI on this forum and you will have your answer.
Even Airstream don't support WBCCI anymore.

Don

PS: They just don't care, send your money and shut up, is the moto of WBCCI.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I think the list of "lost members" in a state (their state) should be made avaialble to each unit. Then they can contact those members and try to re-recruit the members. I have heard way too many times that someone left because their unit was not what they were looking for.

Member retention would go a long way to solving the membership slide.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
If WBCCI doesn't know why they are leaving by now, they are lost.

Don

PS: They just don't care, send your money and shut up, is the moto of WBCCI.
That's not the type of response that we need

Don, what are doing to help the WBCCI?

Do you want to help?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Patrick or Dave at Colonial are the two to talk to. They do all of the Airstream sales. I bought my Airstream (2007 25' Classic) at Colonial and wasn't given an info about the WBCCI. Re-recriut??? the point is, what are they offering. That's why I and so many people leave soon after joining. You have to offer something of value. Just what is that??
Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There is a generational gap between the members we are trying to attact and the International officers who are leading the club. The 10 year long chairs of seniority are the basic problem. The Constitution does not say so but, the reality is, no one has been allowed to run for International officer office unless they have first serverd as a Region President on the IBT. It take 6 years to get thru the Region offices and three years as a local unit officer. I think quite a bit could be accomplished at the local unit level to improve the product we have to offer prospective members and how we market the memberships. Some of the old style failing units will not modernize and will fall by the wayside but, I think young people can seize control of the more progressive units or form new units with activities that are in line with the younger and newer purchasers of Airstreams. If the local club will make a special effort to provide activities for these members, they will continue pay dues. The International needs to do its part with modernizing the BB and other public relations activities.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that every new Airstream should come with a complimentary one year membership to WBCCI. This would introduce the Club to every new owner and give us the opportunity to reel them in for the long haul. Those new Airstream owners who have absolutely no interest in joining any club would not activate the membership and the Club wouldn't be out anthing.

The BLUE BERET could be the very tool that would keep the renewal rate high. There are several antique car clubs that I keep my membership up just to get the club magazine. If the Blue Beret was THE place to find out about all things Airstream, Club membership would be through the roof.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Hello,

Every customer that purchases an Airstream receives a package in the mail with a survey from Airstream including the information on how to join the club. Airstream also includes this information packet with their owner’s manual. Our showroom has racks with information provided by the club and Airstream campgrounds. We also have a display case with various Airstream artifacts including WBCCI information. Maybe the trailer was shipped from our location to the customer and Airstream did not send the survey and information in the owner’s manual. Lauren, David and I will continue to mention the club to our customers when they do their paperwork.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not too difficult...

Count us among the folks considering leaving, after 4 years.. We'll probably switch to 4CU first, and see if that makes staying worth it... For what it's worth, Airstream USED to include a certificate for 1 year membership in WBCCI in every new trailer shipped. They stopped to save money. It shouldn't be a dealer obligation.. Thank goodness for dealers like Colonial, who should be praised for stepping up and covering for Airstream's web site weaknesses..

As for issues, here are a quick few: (and we have tried to address at unit level without success..)

1. We joined for opportunity to do Caravan's.. Many are too long and require 2 year's notice to be able to join.. May yet make one, but "Track's to Adventure" seems to offer reasonable alternative. We'd love to see more 10-15 day caravans, with the option to join up to 3 months ahead.. Canadian Rockies? British Columbia? Yellowstone/Jackson and Colorado Parks? Lewis and Clark trail? Florida coast from JAX to Key West to Tallahassee?

2. We hoped for interesting weekend outings to places we'd like to spend some time. Our unit prefers Thurs-Sunday morning events at deserted fairgrounds or places near nothing where they can be assured of community room and kitchen

3. We love a good pot-luck, but aren't interested in having to "volunteer" to buy and prepare food for 25 to 40 people for 3 days as a condition of joining a rally. With our diet restrictions, we won't eat their ribs and jelly donuts, and they wouldn't eat our veggie lasagna or bagels and fat-free cream cheese..

4. We enjoy using computer, reading newsletters and calendars and making reservations by e-mail.. (It's a Silicon Valley thing..). Getting a torn typed newsletter in the mail after outings have occurred seems retro..

5. After attending Salem Rally, we marveled at senior volunteers willing to attempt days of work in 100 degree + temperatures, and coming in 3 weeks early to prep for it, but as attendees, we ran out of things to see & do after 4 or 5 days.

6. The name change and MoHo issues seemed divisive and off-putting, though most of the people involved were good souls and had good intentions.

7. Try to actively encourage and provide activities for children and families with children.. Our unit holds record for two "memo's" from HQ for scheduling Rallies at Adult's Only RV Parks.. (and these are senior type, not the racy type.. )

I've fed many of these back to Renee and WBCCI as well, and I do believe WDCU, NEU, 4CU, VAC and other innovators are the future of the club. Unfortunately, I also feel some of the existing leadership finds these entities more threatening than enlightening. Sigh...

Happily, there are groups of Forum members in the west who are quite happy organizing and participating in non-WBCCI events, so we are able to get together and enjoy outings during the year with others who love their Airstreams, and are fun to be with... It's a little early for a Margarita, but...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
My apology Patrick, I looked back over the literature that I received at purchase and I do have information on the WBCCI from Colonial. I was probably so disappointed with the club after my first year that I just ignored it.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I also advertise in the Blue Beret and on this site and in Airstream Life...when we first went into the Airstream business back in 03, we did get a few sales out of the Blue Beret...that has almost come to a screeching halt...while my sales out of Airstream Life continues to grow at a brisk pace...I have also sold several units to people that saw my ads on this site...

There just seems to be more of a younger (30-50) crowd of folks doing most of the buying now days...like over 20% of them have never had an RV before...

I'm not really sure how to get those back that have left...but I can say I have seen a tremendous change on where my customer base is coming from...

As Patrick said, there is a WBCCI brochure in every new owners packet that goes out of here and any Airstream Dealer.

We also try to sign up our Arkansas customer with our local unit...we will even pay the first year dues...I have also paid some at large dues to those folks that want to join the club out of state...I will be more than happy to do that just to get them invovled...but to be honest, not many of them seem to interested...

Really, most of them have been on Forums site and have shown more interest in the Forums Rallies of late...

just my 2 cents FWIW

G

WBCCI #1471

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Old 07-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that you are reading the pulse of new Airstreamers correctly, G.

We have attended both Forums and WBCCI Rallies.

At a Forums Rally, Airstreams are discussed at length. What works, what doesn't, what's new, and how to do stuff that makes Airstreaming more enjoyable. The atmosphere is very casual. If you choose to participate in a certain function, fine; if you don't, that's fine also.

At a WBCCI Rally, you stand in a long line to register, you are scolded for forgetting to bring your official WBCCI name badge. Quilting and scrap booking are discussed at length. Airstreams or camping are not often mentioned.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags

At a Forums Rally, Airstreams are discussed at length. What works, what doesn't, what's new, and how to do stuff that makes Airstreaming more enjoyable. The atmosphere is very casual. If you choose to participate in a certain function, fine; if you don't, that's fine also.

At a WBCCI Rally, you stand in a long line to register, you are scolded for forgetting to bring your official WBCCI name badge. Quilting and scrap booking are discussed at length. Airstreams or camping are not often mentioned.
We need to get you to a 4CU rally.
It starts with people greeting folks as they pull in.
Followed by campfires, happy hours, pot luck dinner, checking out everyone rigs and alot of free time.
It ends with alot of hugs and wishes for a safe trip home and I'll see you next time.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
We need to get you to a 4CU rally.
It starts with people greeting folks as they pull in.
Followed by campfires, happy hours, pot luck dinner, checking out everyone rigs and alot of free time.
It ends with alot of hugs and wishes for a safe trip home and I'll see you next time.
Sounds like a forum rally.

I get tired of the same old "what are YOU doing to fix things?" You know, there are people who do not care for the club, and if the club wants them as members, it is not the new person's job to come in and fix things. Maybe things don't need to be fixed, maybe they are just fine for the people currently in the club. Maybe these new ideas would ruin it for the existing members.

People just need to accept that the club is not for everyone. If by chance there are enough people in an area who want something different, and they have the guts to navigate the book full of rules and political hierarchy to build a new unit, then good for them! But to act like every person who is not in the club must somehow be appeased and brought in is just foolish.

With the commeraderie of the forums, and the face-to-face fun of forum rallys, I see no reason to spend $80 a year to join a club which offers the same thing, just a lot less of it. I can keep in touch with my local group, and have rallys, and advice when I need to fix something, and it costs me nothing. That's pretty good value for the money. How can the club possibly compete with that?

Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That is indeed the spirit of the Four Corners Unit. I really look forward to get togethers to meet old friends and make new ones. We always seem to enjoy each others' company and celebrate the outdoors.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags

moosetags,

Your description of a WBCCI does not sound like the unit rallies we have attended, perhaps that description fits the Region and Special Event Rallies, it certainly fits the International. However, there is more to WBCCI than Region, Special Event and International Rallies.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I think Steph hit the nail on the head!

Could it be there is enough wide open space on God's green earth for two clubs???

Or 1 club and 1 group of really wild and crazy party animals!!!

Just a thought........

G

On Edit: Not too wild though...some of us have kids...but you get the idea...

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Old 07-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Here I go talking out of my ear again...

Seems to me that there is a new type of Airstream owner. Younger in age and younger at heart. This group is turned off by too much regulation and required conformity and the mess hall style of camping.

The WBCCI in general has not met these needs.

Well, we are the WBCCI and it's up to us to modify our Club to suit our needs. We can do it from the top down or from the bottom up. I contend that from the bottom up is easier and more fun.

Four Corners Unit etc. has begun the process of changing the Club. This type of Unit is directed straight at the new style of Airstreamer and like the NEU they will grow very quickly as members stories of trips and camp outs draws others who want in on the fun. Sales 101 is to offer someone what they want and they will buy it.

So start a new Unit with your friends and do the things you like to do. Go to your nearest Airstream dealership and in exchange for them handing out your info and giving you the new owners address or E-mail put free advertising for the dealership in your newsletter or on your website.

This new group of Streamers is defined not by age but by attitude. Your Units attitude is what will allow it to grow and thrive or dry up and blow away.

P.S. The shortcut method is for you and all your friends to join a old dying Unit and get elected to office and change the Units direction.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
7. Try to actively encourage and provide activities for children and families with children.. Our unit holds record for two "memo's" from HQ for scheduling Rallies at Adult's Only RV Parks.. (and these are senior type, not the racy type.. )
that's the reason i'll probably never join the WBCCI. it seems when i looked into it briefly awhile back, the consensus i got from reading the forums is that the WBCCI is simply not kid friendly (i don't have the details or info to back that up, it's just what i recall and a feeling i got from my research 7 months ago and it was enough to put me off).

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
Old 07-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #20
_

. , .
when i first read the title for this thread...

my interest was high...

as the topic seemed to be getting lost 'forum members back...

now that's important!

as 4 sorting out lost members of the wb'

lipets, you WILL need to rely on old directories or local unit data bases...

the home office doesn't even keep the mailing address of non renewing members....

so lipets you WILL need to get the data locally and follow it up locally...

good luck.

folks don't renew because they is OLD or DYING...

AND cuze the club ain't fun, but IF they mention that someone says...

"it is your responsibility to join, serve, sponsor and MAKE it fun"...

the typical wb scold...i'm sick of reading 'what have you done' crap....

"free 4 a year to new buyers" it's been done.

the wb didn't like it and doesn't support it. "those folks don't contribute or renew" is their view.

the strength of the wb is local units as leo likes to remind us...

but the problem is only a few local units (less than 20?) are strong.

and those few units along with the caravan intraclub and vac COULD be the basis for a really SMALL, mostly happy wbcci....

do we really need international officers to christen new unit brass?
why do these ibt wigs travel so much?
do they really need to waste resources this way?
let them work at a local unit level ONLY...
the damage they inflict will not be as widespread

most units aren't located in ideal camping areas so they cannot do as the socal or new england or 4cu does...

that is, go camping!

for socialization and member bonding and officer advancement

most units rely on luncheons primarily with 2 or 3 camping events near casket factories or state fairs,

with prostate screening or pull tab collecting as the high point.

at the international level MOST voting issues are SELF INFLICTED

or rhetoric about the club, focused on the workings of the club and it's officers....

when was the last big motion or amendment that had ANYTHING to do with camping....

like stef so clearly notes....
-we don't need officers to camp
-we don't need rules for a good time
-we don't need meetings for anything really
-we don't need to visit the local buffet just to connect with other 'steamers
-and sadly we don't need the wally club history to enjoy our trailers

at virtually every forum function new folks are welcomed with open arms and a plate of chow...

that is NOT the case on the wb side....
often.

most dealers are EMBARASSED by the wb and it's image. it is above and beyond the call that they still even include wb info with a trailer...

besides the wb leadership and future is all about mohos now right?

most dealers want to sell campers to happy campers and support local happy camping....

very very few new trailer sales happen because of wb support or involvement...

the wb isn't the happy campers club....

we are here.

leo keeps tryin' but the sales pitch is weakening...

joining a club with 'rank' and 'officers' and tradition and a ladder to work up

doesn't appeal to many folks anymore in any social endeavor...

it is just to hard to wear a blue beret and a friggin name tag....

i'll stick with the rbcci...it's got more colors!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Closed Thread