Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #161
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by white1949
Why not?
C'mon people--give our officers a break. They have volunteered & worked diligently & unselfishly for six years, often times longer, to reach this one night of recognition for their leadership & service to our club. Allow them to dress anyway they like & enjoy it! Each incoming president has the choice of mandating the dress code for his installation ceremony. It has been done this way as far back as I remember since becoming a member in 1971. The dress code in past years has been formal as I recall except for this past rally in Perry where President Don mandated, as was his right, that the dress code would be the usual red jacket, navy pants, etc. worn by our officers at most functions. This mandate affects only the International officers involved in the Installation Ceremony--members can dress anyway they please as has always been the norm--so what's the big deal! Many years ago this special night was the premier function at the International Rally & most of us looked forward to dressing up, partying with our officers & friends & dancing the night away to the music of a super band. Personally I'm thrilled that we seem to be going in that direction again. What's wrong with a little class?

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I also do not have a problem with this when thinking about it. The general membership is not invited and as long as the club is not somehow responsible for shouldering the burden of actually paying for that then there is no issue really.
I would love to see a celebreation that welcomes all of the rest of the membership whereby we all have the chance to meet this individual. I would like to see things brought down to earth with reguards to these positions. We are afterall just people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I don't have a problem with a formal inauguration dinner for the president as long as the tuxes and formal gowns aren't expensed to the club. That is, after all, not for the general membership and we aren't required to rent a tux or gown anyway.

I do think there are aspects of the club that aren't keeping up with the times, but there are things I think people get too worked up over. This formal inauguration is one of them. If I were going to be at the International next year, I would either not go for the meet and greet line to meet the new president, or I would wear khakis and a sport coat...notice I said sport coat not suit and tie, this is camping after all, but I would want to be respectful, other wise, how would I expect the man/woman (in the future) to ever take me seriously when I contacted him/her with an issue if I didn't take him/her seriously now.

Give the president his due and his party the way he wants it. In the future, new presidents might be more in touch, but until then, this is what we have. Change is coming, at least I hope it is, but it isn't going to happen before next summer.

Be patient and guide that change along. It will happen. If you aren't here to help it along, then you probably won't like the way it turns out.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #163
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
The horror...

Just remember, in 40 years younger members will look at our idea of dress code,or lack of it, in horror.

You can count on it!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I am sure they will but by then I will be willing to hand over the regins to them. When I was president of our astronomy club (for 3 years) I had to let it go to those who had visions different than mine. And that club is still running strong.
I think that the WBCCI suffers greatly from not letting go and from not looking at who is actually making up the membership if the club.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #165
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Just remember, in 40 years younger members will look at our idea of dress code,or lack of it, in horror.

You can count on it!

Michael
I don't have to wait 40 years! All I have to do is walk down the sidewalk and see teenagers walking down the street holding their pants up by the crotch with their belt loops literally down below their butts! Talk about self expression...what are these guys trying to say about themselves!

I'm so glad this thread is about the president requesting white dinner jackets and not hip-hop!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
There has been a 167 posts to this thread in just three days. Among those 167 posts have been irate WBCCI members vowing not to renew at this, the renewal time of year. There have been new people considering joining who have had second thoughts after reading these 167 posts. There have been jokes, slams, criticisms, many pictures, and even a few supporting posts, but the one thing I have not seen is a single post which validates or supports the truthfulness of the original statement. One would think that after 167 posts from all over the country that at least one other person who had received that e-mail would have responded. Is it possible Mr. Emerick was the only recipient of that original e-mail? As a member of WBCCI I do not believe that this thread has in any way been healthy or helpful to the club.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #167
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
More thoughts from ma

It's different for adults too, when was the last time you dressed up for dinner. Even going out, the dress up factor is different. Other than going from church out to eat, the average person has let that tradition go to casual. The busy life we have changes a lot of things, two parents working in the house does too. Think about this, how many of your fathers owned a white dinner jacket, now for the adult males here, how many of you own one. Even for my parents who are still around, at one point, my mother had formals to wear for different events, and my father had different types of suits, along with a white dinner jacket, and a tuxedo. Today their closets are simlpler. I am a photographer and have seen a change at different life events too. Weddings have nice clothes being worn by those attending but not fancy like even 20 years ago. Teens think dressing up is wearing a printed tee shirt with jeans. When I was in high school I owned 4 suits and a black tux, today my sons have one suit each (which they rarely wear), and have worn the tux I owned in high school for their proms. I don't think there is anything wrong with dressing up for events, but those events are less fun then the ones where you can let your hair down and go have some fun. To me a lual where everyone wore a hawian theme, or a square dance with western theme could be more fun. To each his own. What I am not clear on is about who can attend. If this is a club event, can't anyone who is a member in good standing go and be a part of the party. After all isn't it the members who vote for the officers. If the general membership can not attend the swearing in of the club officers then it's really not a club but a class system. Real question I would like to know and understand, what purpose do the officers of the WBCCI serve. I truely understand the history behind the club. Reading about Wally and the others traveling together needed people able to set up the logisics of group travel. Using the dues to advance the clubs goals with benefits to all members. Setting up contracts with businesses to help members attend rallys, such as discount tires once a year, or replacement parts cheaper to members then non members. Prepping rally sites. A lot of this does get done, but its by the hard working members who just want to gather and make new friends. Many who never receive the thanks they deserve. It seems from the post on here that locally units are so much different. Good people gathering to enjoy time away from home in their Airstreams, and making to new friends, along with rejoining old friends. Is something lost when officers at the top reach that point. Maybe the air is too thin and they are not thinking right. When I attended my first rally in Pensacola I had such a wonderful time. Everyone from the general members to the officers were such awesome people. If the WBCCI was like the people I met at that rally, I think you would see a lot more happy people and more members of the club. In the end its about the good times you share with others you meet along the way.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #168

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Interestingly enough a similar thread is also in place at the WBCCI forum web site. I would hope that if all of this is untrue, that someone within the leadership would have jumped in there to discredit the original report.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
What's been done in the past?

Over on the WBCCI website, under International Rally, Hints For First Timers, paragraph 15, there is a discussion of what to wear. The suggestion is that we bring "Church Clothes". Am I to assume Church Clothes would be appropriate for more formal events such as installations etc.? I can only assume by "Church Clothes" the writer means coat and tie, even though many of us don't dress this way in the Summertime any longer. Does the new President, from year to year dictate or suggest what dress will be appropriate for his inaugural? As a newbie in WBCCI I need guidance.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
A bit more concerning to me, is the fact that there are functions held within the club that not all members, whom undoubtly fund said functions, are not "invited" to.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #171
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple
A bit more concerning to me, is the fact that there are functions held within the club that not all members, whom undoubtly fund said functions, are not "invited" to.
Can't let the rabble in. (You know those people live in trailers) /sarcasm
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Over on the WBCCI website, under International Rally, Hints For First Timers, paragraph 15, there is a discussion of what to wear. The suggestion is that we bring "Church Clothes". Am I to assume Church Clothes would be appropriate for more formal events such as installations etc.? I can only assume by "Church Clothes" the writer means coat and tie, even though many of us don't dress this way in the Summertime any longer. Does the new President, from year to year dictate or suggest what dress will be appropriate for his inaugural? As a newbie in WBCCI I need guidance.
Introducing: The Gospel According To Jimmy Buffett
jWinters.com Blog - Introducing: The Gospel According To Jimmy Buffett

Depends on your Church what "Church Clothes" you wear.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #173
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
AhHa. We've a lot to learn obviously. Keep the info comin' please and thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
While I don't think tuxes are appropriate for a camping club event...this whole thing only applies to the IBT members particiapting in the ceremony. We're talking less than 25 people here folks...not the entire rally attendee list. It's the folks up on the stage....

I too think it's a step in the wrong direction...but it's not a deal-breaker in my book.
Quote:
There are lots of dinners, events & gatherings that are invitation only at International: Unit Presidents Dinner, Region events, IntraClub events, Unit events, etc. - all are invitation only, not open to everybody and are at added cost per person to the rally fee. Maybe sometimes, the Unit/Region/IntraClub picks up the tab but the ones I have attended you pay your own way for your own meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Depends on your Church what "Church Clothes" you wear.
I thought the same...camping clothes? church clothes? same thing - at least at my church.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #175
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
shreveport , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
I think if I start right now, I could have a full tux tatooed on by Bozeman. At least I would need to worry about it getting dirty.

Brad
FF
LOL Thats the funniest thing I've heard and hope to see!
anneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #176
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
This whole thread points out the many challenges WBCCI faces. Clearly transformation is needed or the organization will continue to die off as it's older ( governing ) members do. Remember, those in power never give it up willingly.
Maybe this organization needs to split into two factions. Those who need structure and formality. And, those who just want to get together with their camping friends and whoop it up.

No bingo for me.........Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
There are lots of dinners, events & gatherings that are invitation only at International: Unit Presidents Dinner, Region events, IntraClub events, Unit events, etc. - all are invitation only, not open to everybody and are at added cost per person to the rally fee. Maybe sometimes, the Unit/Region/IntraClub picks up the tab but the ones I have attended you pay your own way for your own meal.

Shari
I understand specfic region events, and other events you mentioned, may not be of particular interest to all, but the installation of the leadership of the entire club in private seems odd.

Makes one think, "What exactly are they up to in there?"

I have not yet attented an International, but intend to travel to the Region 6 rally in LA next month. We also plan to travel to Bozeman, provided we like what we see.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Hmmmmmmmmmmm Im still looking for my beer,,,,
Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I understand specfic region events, and other events you mentioned, may not be of particular interest to all, but the installation of the leadership of the entire club in private seems odd.
The installation ceremony is not private - it's open to all to attend. All members are invited - although in my estimation, less than 50% rally attendees do. Only those IBT members on stage are being asked to dress for the occasion.

Just like a Unit, IntraClub or Region event...I imagine there are IBT events that are private...I wouldn't know, I've not been invited. The installation ceremony is not one of the private ones though...I've been to three of them.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #180
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Think I will find me a campfire.. Could care less about it myself.. Anyone care to join me with a cold one or two??? Let them have their Installation dinner. Not my style at all!!!!!!!!! Ive got a plan. In a few years I will run for Prez. My Installation dinner will be campfire side, Hot dogs, beer, smores. Great people, great Rock & Roll. Wonder what band I will have play??? Dont forget your tee shirts and cutoffs!!!