Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tarrytown , Georgia
2020 GT27FBT - Unprotected electrical cable shorts on exposed aluminum sharp edge.

This is probably true for more than just Globetrotters but I thought I would post here since it is more of a poor quality control / craftsmanship issue than anything. So you need to be aware of the electrical cable routing from your tongue jack, 7 pin cable, and safety brake switch where it passes under the LP gas tank shroud. There is a small half moon shaped cut out At the bottom of the aluminum shroud with no protection for the cut edge. There is a bare sharp edge at the pass-through. Some cables that pass through have plastic armor but the power supply to the tongue jack had no armor and within less than 6 months has worn through the insulation and shorted. See linked video.

https://youtu.be/nLwBrUQMJ8Y

I repaired the cut, replaced the fuse, put armor on the tongue jack power supply, and opened up the rather small cutout to provide more room. This should do until I can get Airstream to evaluate and provide a proper solution. What worries me now is how many more of these electrical short Easter eggs are lurking in the trailer. I know there was post a while back about a fire that destroyed a Globetrotter. Certainly this is just one of many quality issues I have had. Over the last 5 months we made 8 trips, 3 trips have had schedule impacts due to problems and I’ve had to cancel one trip. Not very good for any new vehicle but extremely disappointing for one that costs near $100000
Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
2020 GT27FBT - Unprotected electrical cable shorts on exposed aluminum sharp edge.

I took a rubber grommet of the correct size and cut it in half and put it over the sharp edge of the propane cover. Others have used fuel line.

I also have fuel line cut down one side on the propane cover bottom where it rests on the frame to protect the frame.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
This is probably true for more than just Globetrotters but I thought I would post here since it is more of a poor quality control / craftsmanship issue than anything. So you need to be aware of the electrical cable routing from your tongue jack, 7 pin cable, and safety brake switch where it passes under the LP gas tank shroud. There is a small half moon shaped cut out At the bottom of the aluminum shroud with no protection for the cut edge. There is a bare sharp edge at the pass-through. Some cables that pass through have plastic armor but the power supply to the tongue jack had no armor and within less than 6 months has worn through the insulation and shorted. See linked video.

I repaired the cut, replaced the fuse, put armor on the tongue jack power supply, and opened up the rather small cutout to provide more room. This should do until I can get Airstream to evaluate and provide a proper solution. What worries me now is how many more of these electrical short Easter eggs are lurking in the trailer. I know there was post a while back about a fire that destroyed a Globetrotter. Certainly this is just one of many quality issues I have had. Over the last 5 months we made 8 trips, 3 trips have had schedule impacts due to problems and I’ve had to cancel one trip. Not very good for any new vehicle but extremely disappointing for one that costs near $100000

Since we are picking up our Globetrotter 27 next week I appreciate this information and will bring edging trim along with us. Care to elaborate on the other issues you have encountered?
Downhill502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tarrytown , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill502 View Post
Since we are picking up our Globetrotter 27 next week I appreciate this information and will bring edging trim along with us. Care to elaborate on the other issues you have encountered?

If you’re picking it up new just tell your dealer to fix it before you accept delivery. Airstream needs to get these issues reported through dealers so they understand there’s an issue. Show them the video.

I’ve had only one other major issue. The hitch would separate / come loose when properly locked down. There was a manufacturing defect with the hitch. A new hitch coupler had to be welded on the trailer. Check to be sure your hitch doesn’t have excessive play when latched before you leave the dealer. Search on me to find the post.

Several other minor issues that were resolved but annoying just the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	358279
Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
KI7HVV

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Woofer Cable

We have a 2017 25 Flying Cloud which has had very few issues to date. Because this wonderful and sometimes frustrating piece of equipment is rocking and rolling down the road over thousands of miles I’m always checking it for maintenance and safety issues. Too this end I offer the following: upon crawling under our table to check on the woofer speaker I found where the woofer cabling came through the wall was unprotected from the sharp edge of the wall. I retrieved some plastic armor ribbon and insulated the woofer cabling before who knows would happen.
Be vigilant and safe travels.
DORA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
That is poorly done, on my 71' that wire was fed through the frame. Must cost more to fish it. They should have put some sort of protection for it. Might cost them a dollar of two. That would give the bean counters major headache
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sparky things adjacent to propane fuel. Comforting...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Had not noticed that little detail on our 2020 until this post. Thank you! I just removed the cover until I can get some edge welting on the cut, but ours appears to have been done with sharper tools or a more skilled hand...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4189.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	358343
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Had the same on my 2012 27FB. Terrible design. I had to repair the cut cable (yes - sparky things near propane tanks!) and wrap the cable in thick reinforced vinyl hose. Grommet would have been a good call.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Items that you repair yourself are items that you need to report to customer service or the service department. Making them aware of it will help them get involved in solving the problem.

I always make it a point to call Airstream when I uncover an issue with quality control. Everyone should also get involved when you are concerned about an issue.

As an example, I reported a problem with my shower door sweep being torn by the door slipping down too far. Customer service not only sent the sweep but the fix for the door. Two small blocks to be installed under the door. You benefit by reporting.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
That's sad :-)

On our 2018 GT, the break away cable and the jack motor cable were each individually enclosed in plastic split tubing flexible conduit covering.
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #12

Gainesville , Texas
I also noticed that the propane cover on our 2019 27FB GT was sharp where it came in contact with the 7-pin wire. After removing the tank cover, I found the appropriate grommet had slipped backwards into the A-frame area. It was easy to put back in place, but I could see where it might slip back each time the cover was removed. I plan on taping a length of heater hose to the wiring along this area to keep it from cutting the insulation with road vibration.
Gdarbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #13
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar View Post

Hi Lamar,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you have had. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.*
Old 01-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
That's sad :-)

On our 2018 GT, the break away cable and the jack motor cable were each individually enclosed in plastic split tubing flexible conduit covering.
^^^^Same here with our 2018 GT. Looks they either skimped on this in 2019 or was a slip up on yours.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote