Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
30 Foot Globetrotter

Just received the email from Airstream that they are releasing a new 30 foot Globetrotter -
https://www.airstream.com/blog/expan..._hsmi=76549035
Was just down at Sutton RV in Eugene on Thursday and asked the salesman if AS was going to come out with a new 30 foot Globetrotter and his response was 'They are doing a bunch of new things".
Not sure about the LONG skinny dining table arrangement but other than that it looks pretty impressive.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Wow! I am impressed with the layout! Very open and light. This is the first new rig that I am looking forward to seeing in a long time. Nice to see that they are looking at their 30'plus market again. Now make a new tri-axle 34 and you will have something!
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I like it! The long dinette makes for more storage under the bench, and more sleeping space. Similar to how we modified our 30’ serenity.

It would be cool if it came with portable / storable seats so you could sit people on the other side of the table.

Airstream did a nice job here.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Wow, people sure have a difference in tastes. This makes me love the 25/27 layout. In this 30, it is plenty big to have friends for dinner, but they do not get to sit across from you?? How crazy is that? You cannot even sit across from your spouse. Then, where can you lounge and watch TV? It looks like you must be half a trailer away at the end, with the TV in the middle on the wall. I think you pay a very pretty penalty for all of the extra storage roominess.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
30 gt

Nice looking interior décor. We would give up about 18" of lounge, move refrig forward that 18" and make the Bathroom the same size as the FC30. The FC25 RBT and the FC30 have the same really nice large bathroom. A 30' trailer with that small bath just does not seem right. Beautiful trailer though.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Andy, if you get serious about a new Airstream, I would pass on Sutton RV. I know they are closer to you. But when I wanted to order one they were not interested, only interested in what they have on the lot. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
I was surprised when I was down there by how few Airstreams they have on their lot. I even commented, "what happened, Sutton used to be the largest AS dealer west of the Rockies" - no response.
I wanted to look at 27-30 footers and they had exactly one 28' International Serenity (I personally don't like the Serenity decor) and one Classic 30 - that was it! Again, I personally prefer the "aluminum" interior of all the models other than the Classics. The fabric on the Classics is to me, just a place to collect dust and potentially stains. I looked at the Classic 30 and the bedroom on it seemed way smaller (not as long) as the BR in my 27FB.

The salesman wasn't at all enthusiastic (you would think someone asking a salesman to see those models would kind of work to get you interested in making a purchase, but nothing in that vein).
Old 09-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Long, one sided dining table

I’m glad Airstream is expanding the GT line but the first comment from the DW was “I don’t like that table - how do you seat people across from you?”. Do you carry folding chairs to make it work?

Also, if you look at the 25’ & 27’ bathrooms in the updated 2020 GT online page, they’ve finally rotated the toilet to allow more legroom. I think another 27’ GT owner posted they did so on theirs.

I wonder if it’s as simple as loosening the toilet and rotating it?

BTW, it's hard to tell from the layout but it does look like the new 30’ has a little more room in the bathroom toilet area. Have to see one in person to tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8C855D7-8253-4FED-86F4-76D0F66828DA.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	351650  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306
BTW, it's hard to tell from the layout but it does look like the new 30’ has a little more room in the bathroom toilet area. Have to see one in person to tell.

It does. This has the same layout as the 30’ international with different dinette configuration. The bathroom is a bit longer and there is indeed more legroom. I can attest to the fact that there is no need to rotate the toilet in the 30’ RB. It’s one of the upsides of the 30’ floor plan - larger (longer) bathroom.

Personally - I really like the table setup in this floor plan. We modified our 30’ to open up the lounge by removing one of the dinette benches... this brings that to the next level.

There is a custom 30’ serenity modification that ultimate airstreams did - it had a very similar lounge layout as the globetrotter and there were these cool square seats that tucked away, and could be placed for seating on both airs if the table... here is the video:

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1638239212936396&_rdr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0486.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	351679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	351680  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Wow, people sure have a difference in tastes. This makes me love the 25/27 layout. In this 30, it is plenty big to have friends for dinner, but they do not get to sit across from you?? How crazy is that? You cannot even sit across from your spouse. Then, where can you lounge and watch TV? It looks like you must be half a trailer away at the end, with the TV in the middle on the wall. I think you pay a very pretty penalty for all of the extra storage roominess.
Larry
I agree with Larry. I think AS missed the boat on this one. We have a 27 GT and all I can think about looking at the 30 floor plan is what a waste of space. You add three feet to the trailer but keep the same short queen bed? What I'd rather have seen is more pantry, more galley, more wardrobe, longer bedroom, and a real full-size queen bed. At least they replaced the smaller poor-performing 3 way fridge. Don't like the long skinny dinette table. Just my $.02.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post

... At least they replaced the smaller poor-performing 3 way fridge. Don't like the long skinny dinette table. Just my $.02.

Steve
Steve, just curious what your experience is with the fridge. What kind of issues have you run into? I know nyrn had to replace his on the road to Alaska. Ours behaved itself on a 12 day trip to Colorado so I’d say its too soon to call it a winner.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 09-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Steve, just curious what your experience is with the fridge. What kind of issues have you run into? I know nyrn had to replace his on the road to Alaska. Ours behaved itself on a 12 day trip to Colorado so I’d say its too soon to call it a winner.
As jeffmc mentions, I did have to replace the fridge. I should add that Airstream was pretty great about it and other than a couple of short detours (which turned out great, we got to visit a friend), the process was relatively painless. Details in this thread if you are interested.

I'll also add that the new fridge works much better than the old fridge. The "auto" function is working properly (switches between electric and propane automatically), the fridge does not ice up as quickly, and the temp is a little more constant than the old fridge. So something was definitely up with the old fridge; the new one behaves as I would expect it to.

As for the 30' Globetrotter, I always look at the 30' models (particularly the bunk) but when I do I'm reminded that I initially wanted a 25', not a 27', and 30' is going the wrong way size-wise...

This summer the 27' did great by me and my kids. I love the idea of a bunk since it would give the kids their own "space" but the GT30 is not available in bunk form...yet.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Also, if you look at the 25’ & 27’ bathrooms in the updated 2020 GT online page, they’ve finally rotated the toilet to allow more legroom. I think another 27’ GT owner posted they did so on theirs.
I think if you look at the other floor plans the toilet was always shown as rotated on the floor plan. Ours was installed straight. When we converted to a composting toilet we had it installed at an angle. Much better legroom (if you leave the door open...)

Steve
Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
When will they be on the lots?
Phantom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #15
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:

I agree with Larry. I think AS missed the boat on this one. We have a 27 GT and all I can think about looking at the 30 floor plan is what a waste of space. You add three feet to the trailer but keep the same short queen bed? What I'd rather have seen is more pantry, more galley, more wardrobe, longer bedroom, and a real full-size queen bed. At least they replaced the smaller poor-performing 3 way fridge. Don't like the long skinny dinette table. Just my $.02.

Steve

X2. I wonder if the designers at Airstream have ever actually tried to use their product. The long seat and table may look good in the showroom, but it would be an annoyance to get in/out of for me. Plus I like to talk to my wife and have eye contact when dining. I guess I’m crazy.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Frosting up. We full time and have had to defrost like 5 times in a year. A bit difficult to do when you are living on what is in your fridge... The doors have been adjusted twice so a bit better, but still frosts up. When we are in a humid environment there is tons of condensation on the inside. So we don't believe the door seals properly. The frame heater helps but is a PITA since you have to continually turn it on.

Doesn't cool enough. Have to run it on "5" to get it cold enough. Which of course leads to more frost... Freezer won't keep ice cream cold.

Fridge blew it's fuse which required a 12V "work around" to be installed by a Dometic tech in Florida, and then a visit to JC to debug. I now think our problem was low voltage from a bum converter.

I think a problem with the fridge in our 27 is there is insufficient ventilation and air flow at the top in the back. It gets really hot at the top of the cabinet. That of course wreaks havoc with the Zone 2 sensor installed behind the TV.

Last complaint, it is a bit too small. We recently had some work done by Ultimate Airstreams and when they had our trailer we lived in their 2019 25 FC loaner. The fridge in the smaller FC was larger and cooled better than the one in our GT. I would switch if I could.

We have a warranty visit scheduled at JC in June. We will be asking for a replacement.

Steve
Old 09-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Bluffton , South Carolina
Will be interesting to see Patrick's walk though.

I am wondering the width and length of the table is? Seems rather long and not very wide. I am also assuming the table will slide out toward the galley. Maybe have 2 or 3 locks as it slides to keep it in place. It would make getting in and out from behind that table easier.

Agreed, that the bathroom could have been made longer with the 2 extra feet of the trailer. One does not spend and entire day in there, but when in there you'd like it to be semi comfortable.
WillZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
I think if you look at the other floor plans the toilet was always shown as rotated on the floor plan. Ours was installed straight. When we converted to a composting toilet we had it installed at an angle. Much better legroom (if you leave the door open...)

Steve
Ah, you’re correct Steve! I went back and checked older brochures and they show it rotated. Wonder why the don’t install it that way from the factory? Funny I never noticed it until I was comparing the 27’ vs 30’ for differences.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
I don't understand why Airstream doesn't put the 10 CF reefer in all the 27/28 foot and larger units. There appears to be plenty of space to fit the larger reefers and since many people full time in their AS's the larger reefer would be a real bonus.
Looking at Ian's video, I can only imagine how much those changes cost. Ultimate AS does nice work but it's way too expensive for my tastes.
I'm in the process of updating my AS. I've replaced the Key Lime cushions with the new Oyster cushions (from Ultimate Airstreams), replaced the Venetian blinds with the roll-up OceanAire blinds, and replaced the fabric flip down doors standard with the Safari with new laminate doors. I didn't replace the long fabric ~ 4" x 60" pull out panel above the flip down doors with laminate as I thought the AS quoted price of $300.00 was outrageous, so I took off the old fabric and re-covered it with caramel Ultraleather, which complements the cushions quite nicely.
I've already purchased the woven vinyl flooring to replace the carpet in the BR, purchased a new laminate kitchen counter top from AS, new Smev propane cooktop, and new faucets for the kitchen and bathroom, and a new ceramic toilet. I also copied a forum member's idea of replacing the stainless steel bathroom sink with a new Kohler 18" drop-in vessel sink. Logistically it takes a little longer to do the upgrades while living in the AS full time.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Bluffton , South Carolina
Seems the walk through might not be that far off.
September 11th -15th is the Hershey RV show.
Received the below this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Annotation 2019-09-09 153433.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	351784  
WillZoom is offline   Reply With Quote