Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
It may seem like a boat load of money, but think how much more it would be if you had to pay someone to do all the work you've undertaken. Just think of the satisfaction you'll have as you use and enjoy the Airstream. It's really hard (or impossible) to put a value on that!!
Have you noticed that the price of vintage trailers has gone up, in the last 3 months? Maybe it's just Califorina, I was looking at AS's and SS on craigslist in the Bay Area and Sacramento...asking prices are higher. Anyone out there notice the same thing in there geo. area.

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
It is a boat load of money! Having fun isn't ever cheap for me

"Top" you changed your username. I like it....is that like "Top-gun?

Name:   charlie-don't-surf-shirt[1].png
Views: 625
Size:  10.6 KB

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 AM   #203
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
No, not like top gun! That's a Navy thing. Top in the Army is the respectful nickname for a First Sergeant. Some say it means "Trainer of Personnel" Not really sure. It sounds better than "Maggot" which is what I was called 21 years ago in Basic Training.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #204
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Crabtree View Post
Have you noticed that the price of vintage trailers has gone up, in the last 3 months? Maybe it's just Califorina, I was looking at AS's and SS on craigslist in the Bay Area and Sacramento...asking prices are higher. Anyone out there notice the same thing in there geo. area.
I hadn't noticed that, but a quick look at CL this morning, and there isn't a single AS listed in either Madison or Milwaukee. In the past there's always been one or two listed. It may be a regional thing or possibly a seasonal thing.

The numbers Chris posted don't really surprise me because of the extent of his restoration. The bottom line is that if you plan to restore or remodel a vintage AS, you should plan on lots of time, tools, talent (and confidence) and a healthy treasury. IMHO, lacking any of those and the project probably is doomed from the outset.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #205
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
No, not like top gun! That's a Navy thing. Top in the Army is the respectful nickname for a First Sergeant. Some say it means "Trainer of Personnel" Not really sure. It sounds better than "Maggot" which is what I was called 21 years ago in Basic Training.

Didn’t mean to disrespect your job… looking at your thread, it looks like you love to BBQ, are you going to open a BBQ restaurant when you retire from the Army?

I also worked for the Feds…I was in the “Green Army” otherwise known as the Forest Service. I served as a Wildland Fireman for 30 years. I retired 5 years ago...my last job was Batt Chief, on Shasta Lake.

Also think it’s cool that the Army showed you how to weld, looks like that job skill is saving you some money! Good luck with your project…. Keep posting pics of your BBQ

I still go on large fires when there is a need, here's a comple of pics from South Lake Tahoe on 4th of July a few years ago

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2226.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	122459Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2232.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	122460

Name:	Angora Fire 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	122462Click image for larger version

Name:	02[1].jpg
Views:	118
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	122463

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 02-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
I hadn't noticed that, but a quick look at CL this morning, and there isn't a single AS listed in either Madison or Milwaukee. In the past there's always been one or two listed. It may be a regional thing or possibly a seasonal thing.

The numbers Chris posted don't really surprise me because of the extent of his restoration. The bottom line is that if you plan to restore or remodel a vintage AS, you should plan on lots of time, tools, talent (and confidence) and a healthy treasury. IMHO, lacking any of those and the project probably is doomed from the outset.
I like the way you look at this process, Mr Drift. And I do find myself doing new things that I thought I would never try. As a retired person, (but still young), I feel it's been a good thing for me to stay busy.

The Bunny and I have only gone camping in the Old Girl twice, once before I gutted the Old Girl and once for the Superbowl, (1/2 finished but usable). I loved our camp-out in the Old Girl. And soon, when the Old Girl is finished, I will start using her new name from that point on....

Today is a sick leave day, I have had this crazy headache all morining long....pic of back yard, winter has returned to the north state.

Name:	DSC00750.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	122471

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #207
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Rex,
I too have noticed the price for old Airstreams has gone up in the last five months. I think it can be traced to schleps like me paying too much for Airstreams. The 5k 60s trailers go fast. There was a 58 O'lander that sold for $5800 here a few months back. The floor was falling in. I looked at a 76 Sovereign last week for a Guy. They were asking 11,000. It was in good shape. Totally usable. I think it was sold yesterday. The prices seem to be rising.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #208
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Didn’t mean to disrespect your job… looking at your thread, it looks like you love to BBQ, are you going to open a BBQ restaurant when you retire from the Army?

I also worked for the Feds…I was in the “Green Army” otherwise known as the Forest Service. I served as a Wildland Fireman for 30 years. I retired 5 years ago...my last job was Batt Chief, on Shasta Lake.

Also think it’s cool that the Army showed you how to weld, looks like that job skill is saving you some money! Good luck with your project…. Keep posting pics of your BBQ

I still go on large fires when there is a need, here's a comple of pics from South Lake Tahoe on 4th of July a few years ago

Wow! Now That's a fire! The FS was something that I thought of when I was growing up. Looks exciting! There weren't too many forests in Iowa though! Thanks for being able to put up with Government service!

Yes I love to BBQ! I have a ton of BBQ pics on Facebook. I'll post the new stuff on my thread as I go. Texas is a great place for BBQ!

Lake Shasta looks like a beautiful place to be. We need to see northern California some day.

My Dad gave me the basic welding lessons on the farm. Just enough to get the job done. The Army sent me to a community college for two months just to get the basics down. Welding can be fun when you are not lying on your back doing it!

I do plan to have a business when I retire, but I don't plan on it being a restaurant. Too much work! I need to do something that I truly love. I love to fix stuff.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Wow! Now That's a fire! The FS was something that I thought of when I was growing up. Looks exciting! There weren't too many forests in Iowa though! Thanks for being able to put up with Government service!

Yes I love to BBQ! I have a ton of BBQ pics on Facebook. I'll post the new stuff on my thread as I go. Texas is a great place for BBQ!

Lake Shasta looks like a beautiful place to be. We need to see northern California some day.

My Dad gave me the basic welding lessons on the farm. Just enough to get the job done. The Army sent me to a community college for two months just to get the basics down. Welding can be fun when you are not lying on your back doing it!

I do plan to have a business when I retire, but I don't plan on it being a restaurant. Too much work! I need to do something that I truly love. I love to fix stuff.
Shasta Lake is a great place to live...four national forests and two national parks within an hours drive. If you love to hunt/fish, boat, river raft, ride bikes, ride bicycles, hike, and camp, then NorCal is the place for you. The down side of California is the taxes/cost of living.

I would like to see if I could attend a welding class at Shasta Jr. College. It looks like a good skill to have, if you own a vintage trailer.

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #210
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Yahoo.....the snow is sticking!!!

Name:	DSC00778.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	122477

Name:	DSC00779.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	122478
THE Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
The Bunny's 1st post.....

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #212
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I have been watching pricing for the last three years, and my feeling is that pricing is cyclical. As spring approaches, pricing goes up from the lows it seems to hit just before xmas.

Seems sorta like a normal, supply and demand thing

Quote:
I'm guessing they are either starting to sell now, or more probably in my mind, people that have had them listed and didn't sell are pulling them back, thinking they will get more for them come spring.

If it happens like it has the last two springs, there should be a lot more available come spring, but at higher prices.

I'll be interested to hear if you find the same thing over the next few months...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #213
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Rex,
It's just to keep us from buying any more trailers. Probably a good thing.
Are there two The Bunnies? Cause there was one living your trailer, coincidence?
Is it" The Bunny" or could it just be" Bunny"?
Enjoy the snow, we always do!
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Yep...it's "The Bunny" she's on-board as of today. And she loves the Washington RedSkins! And guess what team she hates, other than the Cowboys?

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #215
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I have been watching pricing for the last three years, and my feeling is that pricing is cyclical. As spring approaches, pricing goes up from the lows it seems to hit just before xmas.

Seems sorta like a normal, supply and demand thing

I'm guessing they are either starting to sell now, or more probably in my mind, people that have had them listed and didn't sell are pulling them back, thinking they will get more for them come spring.

If it happens like it has the last two springs, there should be a lot more available come spring, but at higher prices.

I'll be interested to hear if you find the same thing over the next few months...
In SO-CAL there is a 1972/31 listed on craigslist for $18,000, original, but needs some work...only in Cali....crazy, crazy, crazy!

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #216
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yes, all bets are off in Socal.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #217
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Quote:
I like the way you look at this process, Mr Drift. And I do find myself doing new things that I thought I would never try. As a retired person, (but still young), I feel it's been a good thing for me to stay busy.

The Bunny and I have only gone camping in the Old Girl twice, once before I gutted the Old Girl and once for the Superbowl, (1/2 finished but usable). I loved our camp-out in the Old Girl. And soon, when the Old Girl is finished, I will start using her new name from that point on....

Today is a sick leave day, I have had this crazy headache all morining long....pic of back yard, winter has returned to the north state.

Hope you're feeling better, Rex. Headaches can really slow you down.

I forgot to thank you for posting the pics of your area. Looks like a very interesting place to live and/or hang out.

I sort of retired a little over a year ago and I agree 100% that it's best to stay busy. I'm at that point now where I wonder when I ever had time to work full time. Seems there's always more to do than there is time to do it!

I think that learning and trying new things actually keeps you young. It's all about enjoying the journey. And you certainly seem to have a handle on that!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Hope you're feeling better, Rex. Headaches can really slow you down.

I forgot to thank you for posting the pics of your area. Looks like a very interesting place to live and/or hang out.

I sort of retired a little over a year ago and I agree 100% that it's best to stay busy. I'm at that point now where I wonder when I ever had time to work full time. Seems there's always more to do than there is time to do it!

I think that learning and trying new things actually keeps you young. It's all about enjoying the journey. And you certainly seem to have a handle on that!!
Great minds think alike.... I was going to post this photo of a funny road sign, but for some reason it won't post. So, let go with the marshmallow roasting people over a campfire.

PS, has anyone ever stayed at the Clown Motel bewteen Reno and Death Valley? Or how about the Bates Motel in Vale, Oregon? I stayed there once on a fire assignment, the first thing the crew and I did was check the ice machine for body parts. Nice place!

Name:   a1279_thumb[1].jpg
Views: 404
Size:  10.8 KB

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Today's project was to upholster the 3/4" plywood, covering the bulkhead and the back support of the sofa. 4 photos; showing the plywood in need of uphostery; cutting the fabric for the bulkhead, (in the front room, on the floor); 1/2" foam that I glued to the plywood, and the finished product....installed!

Just waiting for the pros to finish the seat and back cushions, the shop said they would be done by next Weds....

Name:	DSC00781.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	122523Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00787.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	122524

Name:	DSC00785.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	122525Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00795.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	122526

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
More photos of today's upholster project.....

Name:	DSC00797.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	122527Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00794.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	122528

Name:	DSC00783.jpg
Views:	105