Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #141
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Hi AShar, I hope you are enjoying your time when camping!

I do not think we will agree on what we disagree. Before I bought my trailer, I test drove F150 and F250. The first one was soft, second was very stiff. I can see how people feel "safe" when towing with F250. This car provides stability when going straight, but it is awful to make ANY emergency maneuvers (if it is even possible). I bet M1 Abrams would provide a lot of stability when towing as well. Such handling is simply not acceptable for me.
<snip>
When I see a deer I don't brake - I accelerate. Judging by the number of carcasses at the side of the road, I don't think anyone else dodges them either

Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #142
Rivet Master
 
Mountain View , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 573
Good for you! You cannot stop, you cannot do emergency maneuver, therefore, you accelerate. Now, replace deer with human...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
When I see a deer I don't brake - I accelerate. Judging by the number of carcasses at the side of the road, I don't think anyone else dodges them either

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #143
Rivet Master
 
2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 561
Ever see one of those big manly grill guards after it actually hits something? They are worthless. Just designed to look tough, as are trucks. It's all BS. Besides, deer jump and land in your lap. Go ahead, improve your chances of dying by speeding up. More kinetic energy always is a good idea... NOT!

PS I have hit a deer. It's always better to just try to stop. Don't try to guess which way they will go and out maneuver them... They can out maneuver you and it's always where YOU least expect them to.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #144
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
.....
...... Now, replace deer with human...
You have anyone in mind, mr ďprimitiveĒ?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #145
4 Rivet Member
 
Ultraclassic's Avatar
 
2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
the importance of setup.

To the OP, enjoy your new truck. Just don't neglect setup, because one thing a heavier truck does is mask feedback to the driver, so that sometimes operators don't realize they have an issue until it is too late to correct it.
This !!!
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #146
4 Rivet Member
 
Ultraclassic's Avatar
 
2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
The best tv is a truck - true
The best tv is an SUV - true

Impossible to get a right answer from any one post. Read more you get closer. Read many more and confusion

95% of my miles are not towing. Expert is Andy at CanAM and he likes my 450 GL. He uses one, too. Bought his shank, the EazLift, hitch reinforcement locally verified by him and his excellent hitch install instructions. This is the best tv for me and I will tow at 55 to 60 and not worry. Get camping
Yup, check Can Am website for hitchful hints
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #147
4 Rivet Member
 
Ultraclassic's Avatar
 
2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
AMP running boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
check out AMP Research.. good stuff
I had to remove a set of AMP running boards from a customers truck because they didn't play well in the the Salt belt, the mechanism and the electrical motor was all corroded and shot, it wasn't protected well from salt intrusion. I am not sure if they fixed this, but I guess in CAL or FLA they would perform ok
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #148
4 Rivet Member
 
2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 411
450 payload

Two plus dog, food, drink, warm clothes and Honda generator in case. New 25 GT almost 900 tongue weight. Just rechecked sticker and payload is 1794 on my 450. That is better than many 1/2 PUs. Perfect for me. Each to his own as it should be
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #149
4 Rivet Member
 
mkcurtiss's Avatar
 
1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 373
Images: 4
Things are different in European countries...Things are jammed in tightly...the countries are small....space is always a concern....gas is around $6.00 a gallon in europe, almost across the board....folks dont live in houses in europe..they live in condos and "apartments".....yes there are some houses, but only for wealthy people....
Life, is very different.....there is much more government control over peoples lives, outrageous taxes, on even middle class earners.....so many things.....
The idea of having a Ford F-350 4wd in europe is outrageous, in large part...
So they brainwash their population, to convince them that their situation is actually good, so that they do not revolt....
Bono's comments are steeping with the euro mindset, and we are wasting our time trying to explain to him that we like our big heavy trucks and that they are better.....he has never towed with one and does not have a clue, and its a waste of time to try to educate him.

If he lived here, he would see it different.....
But he doesn't.......

If one of us relocate to Europe, we will probably tow with a freaking mercedes or Audi or some suv bubble top station wagon thing, because the government frowns on big gas guzzlers.......That is why I am staying here !
__________________
1968 Overlander Land Yacht International
Ford E-350 W V-10 booom!
2018 Chevy Tahoe smooooooth
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #150
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
Things are different in European countries...Things are jammed in tightly...the countries are small....space is always a concern....gas is around $6.00 a gallon in europe, almost across the board....folks dont live in houses in europe..they live in condos and "apartments".....yes there are some houses, but only for wealthy people....
Life, is very different.....there is much more government control over peoples lives, outrageous taxes, on even middle class earners.....so many things.....
The idea of having a Ford F-350 4wd in europe is outrageous, in large part...
So they brainwash their population, to convince them that their situation is actually good, so that they do not revolt....
Bono's comments are steeping with the euro mindset, and we are wasting our time trying to explain to him that we like our big heavy trucks and that they are better.....he has never towed with one and does not have a clue, and its a waste of time to try to educate him.

If he lived here, he would see it different.....
But he doesn't.......

If one of us relocate to Europe, we will probably tow with a freaking mercedes or Audi or some suv bubble top station wagon thing, because the government frowns on big gas guzzlers.......That is why I am staying here !
That is quite a rant.

I am not in Europe, rather Canada, but I have lived and worked in Europe. Have you? We had a house there. We have had several houses in Canada, but live in a condo now.

Our gasoline is at $1.30 per litre today, so $5.90 per gallon. Remember that we have larger gallons though.

I have driven heavy trucks professionally, with what you call a CDL. Including towing. Preferred my SUVs, for driving and towing.

Maybe I am brainwashed too?

And I thought Bono lived in the US.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #151
4 Rivet Member
 
mkcurtiss's Avatar
 
1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 373
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
That is quite a rant.

I am not in Europe, rather Canada, but I have lived and worked in Europe. Have you? We had a house there. We have had several houses in Canada, but live in a condo now.

Our gasoline is at $1.30 per litre today, so $5.90 per gallon. Remember that we have larger gallons though.

I have driven heavy trucks professionally, with what you call a CDL. Including towing. Preferred my SUVs, for driving and towing.

Maybe I am brainwashed too?

And I thought Bono lived in the US.
Dude, nobody is saying you cannot tow with a dead gum suv!

I tow with a Chevy Tahoe! It is an suv!

If you want to tow with an Audi then go do it!

But don't try to tell me that your vw toureg is a better tow vehicle than my F-350 with a 8 litre Diesel! That is just plain stupid.

Trucks are made for towing. Hauling. Banging around. End of story. Anyone who disagrees with that is either, uninformed, brainwashed, isolated to some remote region, or just plain stupid...or, they are just trying to stir up controversy, and lord knows we dont need more of that here.....

Folks come here to gain information, and this kind of junk really confuses people....

Please, try to stick to common sense and reality, based on physics, geometry, economics, etc......getting on some tangent to try to justify some off kilter position does no good for anyone.

Sheesh.....I gotta go get my hip boots......
__________________
1968 Overlander Land Yacht International
Ford E-350 W V-10 booom!
2018 Chevy Tahoe smooooooth
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #152
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 367
Well since Newton’s laws of motion don’t change between the US and Europe then what does in this case? Trailer weights, tongue weights, and speed limits sure do.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #153
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
Dude, nobody is saying you cannot tow with a dead gum suv!

I tow with a Chevy Tahoe! It is an suv!

If you want to tow with an Audi then go do it!

But don't try to tell me that your vw toureg is a better tow vehicle than my F-350 with a 8 litre Diesel! That is just plain stupid.

Trucks are made for towing. Hauling. Banging around. End of story. Anyone who disagrees with that is either, uninformed, brainwashed, isolated to some remote region, or just plain stupid...or, they are just trying to stir up controversy, and lord knows we dont need more of that here.....

Folks come here to gain information, and this kind of junk really confuses people....

Please, try to stick to common sense and reality, based on physics, geometry, economics, etc......getting on some tangent to try to justify some off kilter position does no good for anyone.

Sheesh.....I gotta go get my hip boots......
Lol at the detour into dental health issues.

I donít think your Tahoe is representative of Euro SUVs. I have driven Tahoes and Suburbans, and they are closer to US pickups than Euro SUVs. Letís see how that vehicle handles when they upgrade to IRS next year. Could be a step forward, and competition for the Expedition.

Do you actually believe that your F350 has an 8 litre diesel?

Have you towed with a well set up Euro SUV? If not, that may explain your bewilderment.

Hip waders sound like they may be a good idea.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #154
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
Well since Newtonís laws of motion donít change between the US and Europe then what does in this case? Trailer weights, tongue weights, and speed limits sure do.
Donít forget surge brakes vs electric brakes (precluding the use of WD equipment), and trailer moments of inertia.

And donít underestimate the US propensity for litigation, which causes manufacturers to publish different tow ratings in different jurisdictions, for identical vehicles.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #155
4 Rivet Member
 
mkcurtiss's Avatar
 
1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 373
Images: 4
We tow big stuff in America bro.....We tow stuff that would collapse the frame on your computerized euro suv thing.....We tow things that would literally lift the front wheels off the ground if you were actually stupid enough to connect it to your euro suv.....
..Are you actually going to try to say that your euro suv could replace our heavy duty pickup trucks in America? That we are stupid for buying a Ford F-350 4wd, and we should buy a mercedes or a beamer suv instead, so that when we are hauling our big loads, we can have motorized steering column and 12 speaker surround sound? Really? This conversation is getting more absurd all the time....
__________________
1968 Overlander Land Yacht International
Ford E-350 W V-10 booom!
2018 Chevy Tahoe smooooooth
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #156
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Lol at the detour into dental health issues.
.
Now youíre making fun of the Brits? Sheeesh
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #157
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Now youíre making fun of the Brits? Sheeesh
Well, it would be easy to make fun of British dental care, having experienced it, but it was the German SUV that was pronounced as having dead gums by our esteemed colleague.

I wonder what he actually meant?
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #158
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Well, it would be easy to make fun of British dental care, having experienced it, but it was the German SUV that was pronounced as having dead gums by our esteemed colleague.

I wonder what he actually meant?
Don’t know, but this entire argument is really pointless. Like I said before, different folks have different requirements.

I think Bono’s posts reeked a little of Euro-snobbery IMHO. that didn’t help.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #159
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
We tow big stuff in America bro.....We tow stuff that would collapse the frame on your computerized euro suv thing.....We tow things that would literally lift the front wheels off the ground if you were actually stupid enough to connect it to your euro suv.....
..Are you actually going to try to say that your euro suv could replace our heavy duty pickup trucks in America? That we are stupid for buying a Ford F-350 4wd, and we should buy a mercedes or a beamer suv instead, so that when we are hauling our big loads, we can have motorized steering column and 12 speaker surround sound? Really? This conversation is getting more absurd all the time....
You are on a roll!

If only my Euro SUVs had frames....darn.

Never had the front wheels come off the ground, partly due to the very short rear overhangs. Geometry rules.

I honestly don’t think you are stupid for buying a 4wd F350 for towing a medium weight trailer, especially if in fact you have the need to carry sufficient cargo to require that sort of payload rating. But I think it is silly to claim that only a HD pickup is a reasonable tow vehicle, especially for medium weight trailers where that cargo capacity isn’t part of the requirement. And I think it is silly to claim that a HD pickup is dynamically safer for those medium weight trailers given the handling limitations. What does your Overlander scale at? 4500 lbs?

Ps. Beemers are generally considered to be motorcycles. Mine was an R50/5. Do you mean Bimmer, as in car or suv? Know your opposition.

Stream on!
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #160
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Donít know, but this entire argument is really pointless. Like I said before, different folks have different requirements.
It isnít a serious argument IMO.

Given that different people have different requirements, which I agree with, it would be a mistake to assume that oneís preferred choices are optimal for others. But that tends to happen here, unfortunately.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Floor Repair, Suggestions, and Lessons Learned sgschwend Interior Restoration Forum 4 12-04-2015 06:37 PM
Flex-a-lite fan issues, lessons learned dljosephson Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 1 08-09-2009 04:32 PM
Inteli-Power install in 78 Excella Lessons Learned ALTE797 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 8 04-12-2007 07:36 AM
The Flat Tire Fixed! and lessons learned thecatsandi Tires 28 12-29-2006 06:55 PM
Pullrite owners--lessons learned markparker22 Hitches, Couplers & Balls 10 04-17-2005 10:57 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.