Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2023, 08:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Nevada City , California
Rivian owners

Hi Rivian owners. We are starting to think about our upcoming Rivian S ownership (delivery estimated June 2024 [emoji4]) and I wanted to check on a couple of details.

I understand the vehicle comes with an integrated brake controller. Any problems getting it it work? How do you adjust it?

Do you use a weight distributing hitch? The ďsalesĒ guy said they could accommodate it but then implied the suspension would redistribute the weight automatically.

I couldnít see the plug for a 7 pin connector. There is one, right?

Any information on the additional range you can get from the larger battery? Itís not yet available on the S but may be by our delivery date.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
SteveandNita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:01 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandNita View Post
Hi Rivian owners. We are starting to think about our upcoming Rivian S ownership (delivery estimated June 2024 [emoji4]) and I wanted to check on a couple of details.

I understand the vehicle comes with an integrated brake controller. Any problems getting it it work? How do you adjust it?

Do you use a weight distributing hitch? The ďsalesĒ guy said they could accommodate it but then implied the suspension would redistribute the weight automatically.

I couldnít see the plug for a 7 pin connector. There is one, right?

Any information on the additional range you can get from the larger battery? Itís not yet available on the S but may be by our delivery date.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Brian will jump in with first hand info. But I can confirm seeing the 7 pin on the Rivian. Range is dependant mostly on speed and trailer profile. Travelling at 90 kph will give a much greater range than travelling at 100 kph. We have toured all over Canada with our EV RV combo and speed is without a doubt the biggest range factor.

Congrats on the Rivian. Beautiful truck. What trailer will you be pulling?
Downsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:08 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Hi Steve and Nita,

Brian here, also known as moosetags here on AirForums. We are currently in Normal, Illinois. We just took Factory Delivery of our R1T last week. We live in the Florida Panhandle and came up here last week with our Airstream to take Factory Delivery of our Rivian. We had planned to stay here for a week or so to test out the Rivian before heading back to Florida.

We have been diving the Rivian all over the area and have already done some test towing of our Airatream which is a 25FB. On our way back home we will be doing more towing with the Rivian. We also have have our Silverado Duramax here with us. We are running a thread here on AirForums, titled "Lucy's Normal Adventure".

As to your specific questions, Opal (that's our R1T's name) does have an integrated trailer brake controller. It is automatically activated when you put the Rivian into "tow mode". It is adjusted on the main screen.

We use a ProPride Hitch System on Lucy (that's our Aistream's name). We have done some test towing with the ProPride on Opal. It seems to work fine. We have found that the truck and the trailer adjust themselves to level for towing. Lucy pulls easily behind Opal. Opal's power and torque are more than a match for Lucy's girth and weight.

Opal does have a seven pin trailer connector to the left of the license plate. As far as towing range goes, we don't have that information yet. Follow our trip thread. We should have some range information soon.

If you have any other questions that we might be able to answer, shoot us a PM. I have included a picture of Opal pulling Lucy in front of the Rivian Factory.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0513.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	431049  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2024 25' Trade Wind
Bothell , Washington
R1T on order…. Following.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
R1T on order…. Following.
We tow a Nucamp and follow along on the Nucamp group. Their are a ton of folks waiting for their Rivians. Interesting times.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have found that the truck and the trailer adjust themselves to level for towing.
Since "level" is mostly used as an indicator of sufficient weight being transferred back to the steering axle, does the Rivian somehow restore that weight?
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:11 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsized View Post
Brian will jump in with first hand info. But I can confirm seeing the 7 pin on the Rivian. Range is dependant mostly on speed and trailer profile. Travelling at 90 kph will give a much greater range than travelling at 100 kph. We have toured all over Canada with our EV RV combo and speed is without a doubt the biggest range factor.

Congrats on the Rivian. Beautiful truck. What trailer will you be pulling?

Weíre actually going with the R1S, which we just got to test drive this week. A super cool vehicle! Weíll be towing a 22í Bambi Sport.
SteveandNita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:23 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandNita View Post
Weíre actually going with the R1S, which we just got to test drive this week. A super cool vehicle! Weíll be towing a 22í Bambi Sport.
I believe the R1S will have better towing aerodynamics, and better towing range, than the R1T. Some of air flowing over the back of the SUV will continue flowing over the trailer and not impact it head on as it would with a pickup design.

EVs could be an interesting way to study trailer towing aerodynamics. All you have to do is read the ammeter to see which configuration works best. It's sort of like a travelling wind tunnel.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:10 AM   #9
2022 FC 23CB

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Chandler , Arizona
The R1S has a 7700 lb towing capacity, as compared to the R1Tís 11,000.

As Brian mentioned, built-in trailer brake controller, adjustable on the user interface as well as the left thumb wheel on the steering wheel.

While the trucks air suspension will Ďauto-levelí (as does our Defender), we use a ProPride hitch setup for the additional sway control.

Iíve seen towing range from .9 miles to 1.25 miles per kWh. 120-150 miles. So many variables, like total overall weight, speed, elevation change, etc. Road tripping in an EV, whether towing or not, is simply a different way to travel. You must learn to be a little more laidback. Sometimes itís best to just sit behind the semi thatís going 50mph uphill in a 75mph zone, instead of mashing the gas pedal like in an ICE truck to keep up with traffic. Do that in an EV towing, and youíll be on the side of the road with dead battery real quick.

Anyway, Iím just rambling at this point. Excited for you to get your R1S. Itís a thrilling jolt of excitement when you receive that email stating itís time for delivery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5391.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	431108
ScottnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Reno , NV
Happy to see more Rivians pulling Airstreams. I have an R1T in Reno, NV and a few short trips under our belt towing our International 25FB. Similar experience as the others with range and towing performance. I use a blue ox weight distribution hitch and have no problem with sway. I just wish I better mirrors. We still have the old F350 for longer trip or if we're in a hurry. I expect the wife and I will head out for a longer trip with the Rivian and take our time getting to locations.
Runs_4_beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
DFW Airport , Texas
Following
Vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I too am following this thread with great interest. We have a 28' Airstream that we currently tow using a Cayenne Diesel. It's a lovely combination but we do love the idea of going electric. We also currently own an R1S (Launch Edition) that we keep in North Carolina.

We need to study our typical destination directions to see about charging infrastructure, knowing that range is very limited. We prefer to camp off-grid but could use campgrounds briefly for recharging. The camper / Cayenne is currently based in Colorado (Glenwood Springs area) and our destinations seem to be CO, UT, WY, MT.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:52 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
We talked to a Rivian owner pulling a 20 foot escape.. He gets about 150 miles with a comfortable cushion. But he also tows slower like us. 55-60 mph max. It’s a huge factor in range.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:22 PM   #14

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Greetings! We took delivery of an R1S in Sept 23 and have an Argosy 22ft.(Serenity) Have not yet hooked the Argosy to the R1S (Artemis), but did persuade the wife to let me haul a rental dingo (small front end loader) on the rental trailer last month. I have hauled that same combo with the old yukon just a month before. Had an installed rake controller in the yukon and the setup worked fine. However, when the R1S was hooked up the brake system did not work, just kept waiting to adjust the brakes... Do we have to get up to 20mph to let the R1S do this? The trailer brakes ended up locking whenever I let off the accelerator pedal. Never got up to more than 2 mph, never got off the lot. Wife got frustrated, vehicle never made the adjustment, just gave the rental stuff back sine we couldn't haul it safely. I want to think that it was the flaky rental trailer and not the R1S. Anyone else had similar experiences?
92MIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 04:47 AM   #15
19í Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92MIKO View Post
Greetings! We took delivery of an R1S in Sept 23 and have an Argosy 22ft.(Serenity) Have not yet hooked the Argosy to the R1S (Artemis), but did persuade the wife to let me haul a rental dingo (small front end loader) on the rental trailer last month. I have hauled that same combo with the old yukon just a month before. Had an installed rake controller in the yukon and the setup worked fine. However, when the R1S was hooked up the brake system did not work, just kept waiting to adjust the brakes... Do we have to get up to 20mph to let the R1S do this? The trailer brakes ended up locking whenever I let off the accelerator pedal. Never got up to more than 2 mph, never got off the lot. Wife got frustrated, vehicle never made the adjustment, just gave the rental stuff back sine we couldn't haul it safely. I want to think that it was the flaky rental trailer and not the R1S. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Did the rental trailer have electric brakes, or surge brakes?
Old 04-02-2024, 04:50 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsized View Post
We talked to a Rivian owner pulling a 20 foot escape.. He gets about 150 miles with a comfortable cushion. But he also tows slower like us. 55-60 mph max. Itís a huge factor in range.
"Don't be that guy..."
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:13 AM   #17
19í Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Incidentally, there was a recent article about EVs and camping:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/31/busin...ing/index.html
Old 04-02-2024, 07:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Since "level" is mostly used as an indicator of sufficient weight being transferred back to the steering axle, does the Rivian somehow restore that weight?
The leveling function does not transfer any weight to the front axle, to do that you need a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH).
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:02 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
"Don't be that guy..."
Huh?
Old 04-03-2024, 07:52 PM   #20

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeCamper View Post
Did the rental trailer have electric brakes, or surge brakes?
Electric brakes. I should have made that clear.
92MIKO is offline   Reply With Quote