Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #21
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
IMHO the really is not 3/4 over 1/2 over whatever, it's about the proper marriage between TV and AS. We have a F-150HD that pulls our 2004 Int'l 25 and I have to check the mirrors to make sure it's still there We have travelled through the Canadian Rockies with no problems. It's not just size matters, it also depends on equipment - i.e., tow package, tow/haul engagemnet, etc.

The truth in the matter is having a TV that meets the requirement for Payload and safety. I often read in the forum about folks undersizing the TV and asking "is this OK" and the answers I read are sometime scary.

You might be interested in reading my article on the exercise we did in choosing a tow vehicle for our Int'l 25 Airstream.
https://www.marriedwithairstream.com...-your-trailer/

If we ever move up to a larger AS, I will do the math again to make sure the marriage works
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Our 2014 Dodge Durango citadel Hemi has NO problems towing our 2018-25 FT International serenity FBT . The Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi has in our experience given us Great consistent towing Power . And on average 14 miles to the gallon. We have put it through it’s paces with a full load and been on many trips over the last 2 1/2 wow -30 days . Including one of our greatest adventures to witness Eclipse in Rigby Idaho, then on to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, craters of the moon, and brace Canyon. We have nothing against anyone who loves trucks. With some of our favorite tracks the Dodge ram 1500-2500 . But none in our experience provide a more luxurious ride with all the power than we have experienced in our Dodge Durango Citadel HEMI . This opinion comes from a woman who knows very little about engines, but knows what I’ve experienced. My husband on the other hand quite experienced, and considered by most a master mechanic. and more important question in my mind would be the type of Load leveling tow system (equalizer ) Good luck to you in making the best decision . The Airstream community is an awesome place to present questions, and receive many answers in making your decision. Safe travels and see you down the road . God’s bless.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Teto....

Oh C-eh-n-ea-d-eh...brace for the Frostback's retort..

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Images

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
I have a 23 and was towing it with a half ton diesel. I added air bags and a weight distribution hitch and it was fine. Towed previous travel trailer cross country four times and airstream once. It was just new truck time and I purchased a 3/4 ton diesel because 500 pounds of tongue weight plus 400 pounds for passengers and dog left me 200 for gear or I’m over the trucks 1100 pound payload. I like diesel and the fuel mileage between gas and diesel is dramatic when towing. I do understand that you do have to drive 100, 000 miles to get a payback but with more mileage is more range and less fuel stops. Also with diesel you can go to the truck pump which is designed for long vehicle instead of trying it get to the crowded car pumps. Someone commented earlier,” No one ever wished they bought less truck.”.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
I miss diesel excursion
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #26
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Your GL wasn't setup correctly. I tow my 31 Classic with my ML. Been coast to coast with it and usually go out east every year. Never had a problem. Sure sometimes you want more power, but who doesn't?
Agree, and it appears that the F150 rental wasn't set up optimally either.

What I don't understand is how a lesson can be learned simply by deciding to buy a new truck. The OP doesn't appear to have towed with his new truck yet.

By setting up both vehicles, comparing them, and determining the differences, plus and minus, for each, sure. But the only lesson so far is on the importance of setup.

To the OP, enjoy your new truck. If your mind is already made up that it will be better, then that is a powerful influence. Just don't neglect setup, because one thing a heavier truck does is mask feedback to the driver, so that sometimes operators don't realize they have an issue until it is too late to correct it.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
After 4 years struggling with an SUV (inadequate suspension, poor brakes), I made the jump to a 1 ton RAM dually. It is overkill, but the peace of mind ride comfort and huge cargo capacity really carry the day as far as I'm concerned. Full disclosure - The Ram is not my daily driver. It's kind of 'big' for that.
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
"How my thinking evolved" was that after towing 35K miles with a Ram/Cummins 2500 and talking with loads of trailer pullers pulling with a 1-ton, I traded in the 2500 for a 3500 --- virtually the same price and ride as the 2500 but seemingly a lot more truck. I just "don't get it" why the 2500 seems the be "the standard" when the 3500 is available. I know once I towed with a 3500, I wouldn't go back to the 2500.
I would have picked a 3500 all things being equal. But my 2500 was 7 years old with just over 30,000 miles and immaculate. I don’t like making payments on trucks so I always buy used and am very picky about condition of what I buy. I couldn’t pass it up. Has no trouble towing anything I need to tow, even overloaded a bit it’s just fine. Definitely all you need with 2 people and an Airstream. My 27’ only sleeps 2 (!), anyone who wants to go along can get their own.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Should have bought BMW X5

16k towing miles. Every time smile on my face when towing. Many times going to Sierra (Tahoe, Yosemite), towed through Rockies. Only two time white knuckles when some @#$@%#$%@#$4 did not know who to merge to highway.

My trailer is 33 feet long, SOB, so not as good handling as Airstream. 7-7,200 lbs ready for camping. If you did not enjoy towing your AS with MD ML, something was wrong with setup. I am thinking about a new tow vehicle, which would be again BMW X5. The only things that stop me from buying a new car are no diesel option and $100k for V8 version.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My Tundra is also my daily driver. It's easy to drive, park, and get in and out of.
People talk about getting a 3/4 ton because of that mountain pass it does so well on. Great. But How many times have I gone to the grocery in comparison to how many mountain passes I've crossed?
Around these parts, having a ¾ ton as a daily driver, going to the store and back is not unusual. That said, I have a plug-in hybrid and two MC that I try to use as my daily drivers. But there are times the truck needs love too, so it gets taken as the daily driver. I suppose it's really what you enjoy driving. I don't mind any of them.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specsalot View Post
After 4 years struggling with an SUV (inadequate suspension, poor brakes), I made the jump to a 1 ton RAM dually. It is overkill, but the peace of mind ride comfort and huge cargo capacity really carry the day as far as I'm concerned. Full disclosure - The Ram is not my daily driver. It's kind of 'big' for that.

Might as well end the thread. It's how all of these threads end. You have reached truck nirvana.

/thread
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Courtland , Ontario
Hey that's a great short on your change from an SUV to the RAM. I also have a 25 AS and which we will be dragging down to AZ from ONT CAN, hoping all goes well. My rationale is more in line with the extra wheelbase over the SUV which results in a better ride and handling. My RAM 1500 Hemi is an 04 (3.91 gears and HD towing pkg.), I've added a rear air bag kit. We renoed the 25 Safari and have installed a Harley Road King through the side door. We stripped out the Road King and will load the Safari toward the rear for balance. During our reno we removed some weight from the front of the Safari by eliminating the shelves cupbords etc. for more duffel style packing. Is your 2500 equipped with the bigger Hemi.
ednmarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:25 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
"How my thinking evolved" was that after towing 35K miles with a Ram/Cummins 2500 and talking with loads of trailer pullers pulling with a 1-ton, I traded in the 2500 for a 3500 --- virtually the same price and ride as the 2500 but seemingly a lot more truck. I just "don't get it" why the 2500 seems the be "the standard" when the 3500 is available. I know once I towed with a 3500, I wouldn't go back to the 2500.
Rgentum, you are exactly right (if you're going with a diesel).

A 1 ton diesel will get you back the 900 lbs. payload hit for the oil burner and makes sense. However, for anyone with a gas engine, the 3/4 ton should be more than enough with around 3,000 lbs. payload. Plus, it doesn't require a annual state inspection due to the D plate here in Illinois.

Cheers!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:33 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednmarian View Post
Hey that's a great short on your change from an SUV to the RAM. Is your 2500 equipped with the bigger Hemi.
endmarian, wow, that's an extensive reno!

To your question, in 2019 RAM made the 6.4 Hemi standard (mo more 5.7). And, the 6.4 is a purpose-built truck engine designed with towing and load in mind.

Here's some highlights from the CumminsHub website:http://www.cumminshub.com/gas/6.4-hemi.html

• 16 spark plugs, two per cylinder, for improved combustion efficiency (performance and fuel economy) and reduced emissions.

• Aluminum cylinder heads with hemispherical combustion chambers.

• Oil-to-water oil cooler for prolonged oil life and additional engine cooling under rigorous conditions.

• Piston cooling jets spray engine oil on the bottom of the pistons to help remove combustion heat.

• Entirely capable of running on standard 87 octane gasoline, although a minimum 89 octane gasoline is recommended.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 01-30-2020, 05:52 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Get another one and have it rebuilt. Still cheaper than a new one and it will be reliable.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDave View Post
I miss diesel excursion
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:

In my opinion a 3500/350 is too much truck UNLESS you truly need to haul a motorcycle or some other really heavy stuff while camping. Besides the fact that 1 tons sit higher than 3/4 ton trucks.

Some of the old timers on this forum remember a man by the name of Inland Andy who owned a dealership in California. Andy's dealership sold and repaired Airstreams for a long time. Andy seemed to know a lot since he was in the business for so long. Though I didn't always agree with him, one thing I took from Andy's posts on this forum was that Airstreams are a different animal than SOB trailers and need to be treated with kid gloves in terms of how they are hitched. He claimed that often times people pulled with heavily sprung trucks and frequently caused "front end separation" on the trailers. The heavy springs would truly beat up the Airstreams. The trailer I own has had the front end separation issue from the previous owner which I had repaired several years ago. You may claim that your 1 ton truck rides good but once the springs hit the overload spring from a dip in the road, pothole, bridge abutment, etc... then a heavy shock is transmitted to the trailer.

Do what you want but there can be long term consequences. The Goldilocks tow vehicle for my 30' Classic happens to be a lightly sprung 3/4 ton with full floating axles and diesel motor. Works for me and the front end of our trailer seems ok with it too.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Concerning springs, the RAM 2500 now has variable rate rear coil springs. The 3500 still has leafs. The coils are touted as being better for ride, handling and braking.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My Tundra is also my daily driver. It's easy to drive, park, and get in and out of.
People talk about getting a 3/4 ton because of that mountain pass it does so well on. Great. But How many times have I gone to the grocery in comparison to how many mountain passes I've crossed?

We live in the Willamette Valley, basically any time we go camping we go over a mountain pass.
My drive to the grocery store has a 10% grade hill.

I have a coworker who's drive to work has more elevation change than all of Indiana in a 30 min drive.

Some states have hills
Old 01-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Concerning springs, the RAM 2500 now has variable rate rear coil springs. The 3500 still has leafs. The coils are touted as being better for ride, handling and braking.
Good point out of sight.

Our 2019 RAM 2500 only dropped about 1.5” with an 1100 lbs. Globetrotter connected and the ride with the rear coil springs is very comfortable.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 01-31-2020, 11:51 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
You might be interested in reading my article on the exercise we did in choosing a tow vehicle for our Int'l 25 Airstream.
https://www.marriedwithairstream.com...-your-trailer/

If we ever move up to a larger AS, I will do the math again to make sure the marriage works

Great article drbrick! Looks like you have really taken time to understand the mechanics of the towing. Thanks for sharing!
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote