Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
https://www.rvlifemag.com/towing-hal...e-quarter-ton/

Read this before making a decision. This helped me a great deal.

I tow a 28’ with an F150 max payload, and a Propride Hitch. It is perfectly level. Rides wonderfully. Tows marvelously. Plenty of power.

The only thing I would recommend is putting a roadmaster suspension system on the F150. Some recommend Bilstein shocks. I put on 20” tires which increase the rear axle weight rating nearly 300lbs.

I get 17 to 18mpg for everyday driving. And 21 to 22mpg on the highway when not towing. I can get into the truck easily, and the bed of the truck is accessible.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
I guess that most of the above posters did not read that we have already towed AS trailers with 3/4 ton trucks and want to know what folks have done to make their 1/2 ton trucks more acceptable as TVs... choices and/or modifications.

Please do not simply preach - get a 3/4 ton truck. Not a newlywed to AS towing ...We have been towing for over 50 years (mostly with 3/4 and above) and are looking for constructive suggestions from those who ARE CURRENTLY happy towing with their 1/2 ton pickup trucks ... be they standard cab, crew cab, extended cab, or super crew.
Been on here for over 11 years and surely note the recent tendency for posters to condescendingly pontificate rather than trying to be helpful. Yes, I understand weights and balances from USN flight training in 1969 and also wrote on AF lengthy postings on EQ hitches and modifications. We are aware that Can Am sets up vehicles (including those with less advertised cargo capacity) to safely tow longer length AS trailers and are asking if there are readers that can make constructive suggestions to that end.

Thank you for not turning my inquiry into another 1/2 vs 3/4 TV debate. It is truly a dilemma for this 73 year old - to check back to my original AS factory specs on our AS that are off by more than 150# tongue weight... 1,000 # not the 835# advertised! It is my own fault that I was too frugal to spend the $$ to buy a Sherline scale years ago! Hence the current dilemma ... LOL
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
Old 08-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
When faced with the same decision we went overboard with an F350 and have not regretted it one bit. Honestly not hard to drive around town and a comfortable ride (once you climb up in). It's nice to haul up and down the mountains and not worry. We went diesel and use the exhaust brake when in the mountains.

Good luck with your new tv, whichever you select.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #24
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We contemplated a new F150 hybrid with max tow package to tow our EB 25 ... but payload for a nice Lariat with fancy tailgate and sunroof (neither of which we particularly want) is 1345 lbs.
Without those two options, the F150 Lariat payload jumps to 1570.
Chevy Silverado LTZ max tow is 1598 lbs
Ford Expedition XLT max tow is 1680 lbs
The door stickers are unique to the vehicle VIN. They specify combined weight of passengers plus all gear for combined cargo weight.

Quite a dilemma since I finally dropped the $$ for a Sherline scale which indicates a tongue weight (with full propane tanks, AGM factory batteries, minimal gear stored in front ~ 30 lbs, mattress topper, and NO water) of 1,000 lbs.
The hatch in the rear of the Eddie Bauer does not seem to mitigate the tongue weight measurably.

Wife, me, and dogs plus tonneau cover are just over 500 pounds???
We had a nice 3/4 diesel but prefer the 1//2 T for daily use ...
We prefer to not have another 3/4 T...
What would you do?

After reading your concerns in it’s entirety, it is clear you don’t want the best solution which is purchase a truck that can do the job. A truck that has increased payload with the added benefits of safety and longevity.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I had to compromise on trim level to get enough payload on a F150 to pull of FC25FB. Back in 2019 that meant a XLT crew cab 4x4. That has 1,850 payload which is just barely enough with our gear loaded for travel. We have lithium as well, moved back under the front twin. These days through special order you can get more payload (after a long wait.) I chose the F150 because, like you, it’s my daily driver back home.

Hybrid would be great around town but I doubt it would be of much help towing on flat highways. That energy has to come from somewhere. From a purely economic standpoint the delta to get hybrid buys a LOT of gas.

If the F150 is what you need for the rest of your life, then you may have to give up on hybrid. You might also either need to special order or settle for the XLT trim (which actually isn’t bad.) I upgraded the shocks to Bilstein and added the Roadmaster active suspension to control porpoising. I use the Blue Ox WD. The stock suspension in the F150 isn’t tuned for full payload. Airbags would be fine as well over the Roadmaster. (Yeah, I know RAS or airbags don’t increase payload but they do help stabilize the ride and control squat.)

The turbo Ford 3.5 Ecoboost is an amazing engine and will happily pull the trailer at speed up mountains. I’ve accelerated to pass up grades at altitude and it happily complies. Of course it sucks down gas while doing it in those conditions.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
I guess that most of the above posters did not read that we have already towed AS trailers with 3/4 ton trucks and want to know what folks have done to make their 1/2 ton trucks more acceptable as TVs... choices and/or modifications.

Please do not simply preach - get a 3/4 ton truck. Not a newlywed to AS towing ...We have been towing for over 50 years (mostly with 3/4 and above) and are looking for constructive suggestions from those who ARE CURRENTLY happy towing with their 1/2 ton pickup trucks ... be they standard cab, crew cab, extended cab, or super crew.
Been on here for over 11 years and surely note the recent tendency for posters to condescendingly pontificate rather than trying to be helpful. Yes, I understand weights and balances from USN flight training in 1969 and also wrote on AF lengthy postings on EQ hitches and modifications. We are aware that Can Am sets up vehicles (including those with less advertised cargo capacity) to safely tow longer length AS trailers and are asking if there are readers that can make constructive suggestions to that end.

Thank you for not turning my inquiry into another 1/2 vs 3/4 TV debate. It is truly a dilemma for this 73 year old - to check back to my original AS factory specs on our AS that are off by more than 150# tongue weight... 1,000 # not the 835# advertised! It is my own fault that I was too frugal to spend the $$ to buy a Sherline scale years ago! Hence the current dilemma ... LOL
Why 'modify' a marginal unit?
Just a dumb question from a former C130 Loadmaster.
I wouldn't even go to London.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We moved to a 350 diesel Daily use only vehicle. Personal choice to ensure no payload or tongue issues. Both of our 25 FC and 2018 27 serenity had hitch weights of 1100#. We have no regrets but to each their own. Everyone will give you their personal opinion. You need a safe tow vehicle that can manage tongue weight and payload. There are always comprises
Old 08-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #28
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

If you want a half ton, which can be a very reasonable approach, especially given use cases where the vehicle won’t be only used for towing, start by deciding what payload capacity you want, and don’t settle for something less. That may mean a factory order, which is how we have bought all but one of our vehicles in the last 30 years or so. Buying trucks off the lot is designed to promote impulse purchases. Don’t accept options you don’t value, they don’t just cost money and increase complexity, which reduces reliability, but they also reduce the truck’s capabilities. You may need to accept less than the top trim levels. If you want the hybrid, decide what you are willing to trade off to be able to include that feature.

Some people end up with heavier duty trucks because they aren’t flexible on the above. They have to have it right away, they have to have the top trim level, etc.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Just thought of something on the Expedition option. My 2018 Navigator has a 950 lbs. limitation on the receiver (there is a sticker on it). If you use the Expedition, you might want to do something with the receiver.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I had to compromise on trim level to get enough payload on a F150 to pull of FC25FB. Back in 2019 that meant a XLT crew cab 4x4. That has 1,850 payload which is just barely enough with our gear loaded for travel. We have lithium as well, moved back under the front twin. These days through special order you can get more payload (after a long wait.) I chose the F150 because, like you, it’s my daily driver back home.

Hybrid would be great around town but I doubt it would be of much help towing on flat highways. That energy has to come from somewhere. From a purely economic standpoint the delta to get hybrid buys a LOT of gas.

If the F150 is what you need for the rest of your life, then you may have to give up on hybrid. You might also either need to special order or settle for the XLT trim (which actually isn’t bad.). I upgraded the shocks to Bilstein and added the Roadmaster active suspension to control porpoising. I use the Blue Ox WD. The stock suspension in the F150 isn’t tuned for full payload. Airbags would be fine as well over the Roadmaster. (Yeah, I know RAS or airbags don’t increase payload but they do help stabilize the ride and control squat.)

The turbo Ford 3.5 Ecoboost is an amazing engine and will happily pull the trailer at speed up mountains. I’ve accelerated to pass up grades at altitude and it happily complies. Of course it sucks down gas while doing it in those conditions.
I would agree. I have a 2020 XLT. I specifically ordered it for what I needed, and I got the 20” tires to increase the rear axle rating.

Making a blanket statement that a 1/2 ton will not work doesn’t take into consideration that not all 1/2 tons are created equal.

Also I just read an interesting article in RV lifestyle. 55% of the people that RV go about 200 miles from their house. And that’s about where my wife and I are at. We go about 5 times a year (about 5 weeks), and we don’t like to travel long distances. So we have about a 4 to 6 hour radius we look at. We travel light.

For those that travel long distances, and are out of weeks at a time, their truck needs may be different.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ask for OPINIONS and then not HAPPY?

I have a neighbor who retired flying commercial aircraft. He cannot change a tire nor fix anything. He goes through used RV's purchases from previous owners and cannot understand WHY they are falling apart after he gets home. Fifty years or two years experience doing the same Wrong Choices... does not make Better Choices natural.

My first Airstream experience:

The Trailer Salesman never asked me what my tow vehicle was, tires, hitch to be used or my experience... The check was good. The Equalizer Hitch fit the 2006 Toyota 4x4 pickup and I got an Airstream Floor Mat added to the 23 foot Safari... Barely adequate. The 2008 4x4 Tundra was the excellent choice two years later.

I have gone the learning experience from inadequate to over kill... which makes me happy. I did not ask for advice on the Forum... imagine that. I read experiences and made the right decision... for ME.

Anyone with experience of fifty years, more or less, yet needing confirmation from others, thinking the same, using their poor reasoning, poor choices the day they purchase their first Airstream, Tow Vehicle and 'proper' hitch (which could be any brand) and oblivious to the combination... is a poor beginning of a new Airstream experience.

- Choose a Trailer.
- Choose a PROPER Tow Vehicle, not just adequate. 2WD, 4WD, short or long bed, etc. Adding a Shell over the bed? Carry tools? Water?
- Engine options that exceed your need...
- Choose a Hitch.
- Choose tires that fit your Off the Grid or Highway travel requirements.
- Lift Kit of 3 inches for your type of camping option?
- Upgrade to 16 inch tires and wheels for OTG or heavier loads?
- Solar additions? Hauling a generator? etc....

Half Ton vehicles, or less tow a 23 foot or shorter Airstream. Twenty five feet is where the choices become important. Over twenty five feet... you are in a Heavier Tow Vehicle Class and top of the line Hitch choices.

'FREE Advice' is exactly what you are paying for. Ask your dealership. They can Dance and Sing to you...
Old 08-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #32
rickmc

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Clermont , Florida
I was in a similar situation with my FC 27 FB. After one trip to the CAT scales, I traded it in for a 3/4 Ton. Biggest differences? Stopping power & now I have over 1250 lbs of excess cargo capacity. No more worries.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I have a neighbor who retired flying commercial aircraft. He cannot change a tire nor fix anything. He goes through used RV's purchases from previous owners and cannot understand WHY they are falling apart after he gets home. Fifty years or two years experience doing the same Wrong Choices... does not make Better Choices natural.

My first Airstream experience:

The Trailer Salesman never asked me what my tow vehicle was, tires, hitch to be used or my experience... The check was good. The Equalizer Hitch fit the 2006 Toyota 4x4 pickup and I got an Airstream Floor Mat added to the 23 foot Safari... Barely adequate. The 2008 4x4 Tundra was the excellent choice two years later.

I have gone the learning experience from inadequate to over kill... which makes me happy. I did not ask for advice on the Forum... imagine that. I read experiences and made the right decision... for ME.

Experience of fifty years, more or less, doing dumb things, yet needing confirmation from others, thinking the same, using their poor reasoning, poor choices the day they purchase their first Airstream, Tow Vehicle and 'proper' hitch (which could be any brand) and oblivious to the combination.

- Choose a Trailer.
- Choose a PROPER Tow Vehicle, not just adequate. 2WD, 4WD, short or long bed, etc. Adding a Shell over the bed? Carry tools? Water?
- Choose a Hitch.
- Choose tires that fit your Off the Grid or Highway travel requirements.

Half Ton vehicles, or less tow a 23 foot or shorter Airstream. Twenty five feet is where the choices become important. Over twenty five feet... you are in the Heavy Tow Vehicle Class and top of the line Hitch choices.

'FREE Advice' is exactly what you are paying for. Ask your dealership. They can Dance and Sing to you...
The weight difference from a 25’ to a 28’ is 400lbs. to 500lbs. The tongue weight difference is 25lbs. I don’t get the arbitrary statement that 25’ is the cut off. My F150 is rated to tow 12,300lbs. My 28’ totally loaded to the max is 7600lbs. Empty it is 6100lb. So you are telling me that 400 to 500lbs on a truck that can tow 12,300lbs is the deal killer? Don’t buy it. If you were to use that same kind of logic then you should never exceed 2000lbs of payload on a 3000lb payload rated truck. The logic escapes me. What gets me about this entire discussion is the arbitrary statements that are made without the numbers. There is this fixation on payload. Fine, but as the RV article stated that I previously posted there is more to consider than just payload. In fact axle weight maybe more relevant.

But to say a 25’ is the cut off for a 1/2 ton is purely arbitrary and bears no logic based upon the numbers.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #34
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Anyone with experience of fifty years, more or less, yet needing confirmation from others, thinking the same, using their poor reasoning, poor choices the day they purchase their first Airstream, Tow Vehicle and 'proper' hitch (which could be any brand) and oblivious to the combination... is a poor beginning of a new Airstream experience.
If you look back at the OP’s post and reiteration, there was no request for confirmation. There was a request for examples of strategies to make it work. An example would be managing cargo. Decrying other’s choices as poor judgement doesn’t answer the question asked, and can come across as judgemental IMO.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
The weight difference from a 25’ to a 28’ is 400lbs. to 500lbs. The tongue weight difference is 25lbs. I don’t get the arbitrary statement that 25’ is the cut off. My F150 is rated to tow 12,300lbs. My 28’ totally loaded to the max is 7600lbs. Empty it is 6100lb. So you are telling me that 400 to 500lbs on a truck that can tow 12,300lbs is the deal killer? Don’t buy it. If you were to use that same kind of logic then you should never exceed 2000lbs of payload on a 3000lb payload rated truck. The logic escapes me. What gets me about this entire discussion is the arbitrary statements that are made without the numbers. There is this fixation on payload. Fine, but as the RV article stated that I previously posted there is more to consider than just payload. In fact axle weight maybe more relevant.

But to say a 25’ is the cut off for a 1/2 ton is purely arbitrary and bears no logic based upon the numbers.
:
My 2012 Toyota Tundra towed the 25 foot International. The leaf springs were FLAT. Marginal. I did not say anything about towing with a F150, which is a Ford. You might ask questions before making statements.

Purchased a New 2016 F350 4x4 Diesel, Michelin tires from the factory to tow the 25 foot and now 27 foot International. Did the lift kit, solar, 16 inch upgrade to the trailers.

Just returned from Kalispell, Somers and Lakeside, Montana after three weeks Off the Grid and highways. (Smoke from forest fires, beyond anyone's imagination.)

I carry shovels, rock hammers, water and tools to repair most possible repairs when traveling. We travel and do not get lighter as we go... Overkill? Not when you need it and then it is too late. Proper and correct for ME.

Happy, happy and happy

Why should I defend my advice to anyone. If you do not agree, ignore. This is not the 'Argue Thread'. Ask for "What would YOU do?" and you will get it. I do not care what YOU DO... this is what I have done, learned and have no regrets.

Although... sorry I do not plan sell my F350 Diesel F350 and get a F150, so not to offend others. I could tow with our 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser...which would be inadequate for a 27 foot Airstream...but would pull it easily. Excellent vehicle but not my choice for a towing our Airstreams, which it could.

I am happy with my choices and do have experience from listening to others... good and bad.

A discussion is just that. You provide what you have learned over the years and let others make use of what is provided. I have no reason to debate or defend my choices... they work for me. Just do not ask me what I think of your choices. We just may not agree. You make your choices, not mine. Don't ask... I am not running for Office and not after votes.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You have 3 trailers and have had both 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks? So you have a lot of experience with these things. I guess you just have to decide. I have never actually met anybody that did not claim to be happy with his tow vehicle so I expect either will work. One might consider adding a stronger hitch if the OEM is marginal.

My wife and I have managed a 3/4 ton as a second daily driver for 15 years. Yes, its rides rough. Yes, it turns like a train. She teases me about looking for "my two spaces" in a parking lot. But it can be done, and least in the suburbs.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
Been there; done the 1/2 ton thing for a 25’ FC. payload is a killer. Get the 3/4 ton and don’t look back.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Order up!

Quote:

Our off-the-lot 2016 F150 had too much bling to be useful towing our 2017 27FB. I believed the salesman that it would "tow your future Airstream no problem" complete with the brochure showing same. New to towing and pickups, I did not savvy "payload."

The research I conducted after the fact led me to understand I would need a HDPP constructed F150 to really pull off the daily driver/tow vehicle combo. One owner with the HDPP and a caliper measured the frame for that model year and demonstrated it was beefier than a stock F150. Compelling. And of course the HDPP was not available with the higher bling packages and further helped assure an ample payload rating. The custom order HDPP might be just the trick for you.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
I got an F-150 XLT Crew cab 6.5' Ecoboost 3.5
, payload max and tow max.
2441 payload

I pull a trailer, AS25 FC, and work trailer, 56% of my mileage. It is perfect.
WBCCI 20130
TAC QC-2
Old 08-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou49 View Post
I got an F-150 XLT Crew cab 6.5' Ecoboost 3.5
, payload max and tow max.
2441 payload

I pull a trailer, AS25 FC, and work trailer, 56% of my mileage. It is perfect.
Indeed, it can be done with Ford and with GM. Don't know about Ram. Toyota still hasn't joined the game. We'll see with the new one coming up.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Closed Thread