Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via Skype™ to alumawife
Difficult decision: Fulltime in Airstream in the states or one year in Australia?

I was curious if anyone could provide some feedback on a forthcoming decision our family is making? My husband(44), son(8), daughter(4) and myself(40) are considering a job offer I received from Brisbane, Australia. The job offer requires our family to relocate for one year. The pay and benefits are good and we've always thought Australia would be interesting to explore. That being said, until the job offer came through we were planning to fulltime in our Airstream with 5 months in Florida this winter and who knows beyond that.

1. Have any of you ever been to Australia? What were your experiences?
2. Do you have any good resources for us as we contemplate our decision?
3. Is the flight to get there that bad?
alumawife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
For me (not that you exactly asked) I think the Australian option would win. It is a specific time frame opportunity. A great way to experience living in another culture and to travel. And I hear that part of the world is so beautiful.

There would be nothing stopping you from the USA touring once you returned.

I say go for it.

If you are worried about the air flight, just get some perspective of how our forefathers and mothers had days, weeks, and months on the Oregon or Santa Fe trails, You can do 1 day on an air-conditioned airliner with running water and a food cart.

How exciting for you!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via Skype™ to alumawife
Thanks for putting that into perspective. Your thoughts are definitely encouraging!
alumawife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
While Australia is awesome, how much exploring will you do if you're working the whole time? Just the weekends? Just the city? How much of the continent? There are some amazing sites to see in Australia. But like Europe, most of the cities don't look much different than here until you get out into the landscape.

Now if you are full timing and not working, that sounds like the more enjoyable option, IMO.

I'm not really one that likes to move.

It's probably easier to travel and enjoy the sights here, than it is to uproot your life and hope you have a good adventure.

Playing the devils advocate I know. Good luck whatever decision you make.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I lived in Indonesia for 4 years.

Durring that time we made frequent trips to Australia. Our longest trip was one week camping in an RV through Western Australia.

Australia is as easy a transition as you can make when moving overseas. They speak the same language, eat the same foods, have high quality medical, dental, and living conditions. Very similar to the US, the locals are very friendly and they love Americans.

We were overseas in the early 80's, so I doubt I could help you with any resources or specific info.

Flights are long, 20 - 24 hours in the air.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote