Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #161
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Today I tested how the F150 pro power generator works vis-a-vis remote start with both key fob remote start as well as well as Ford pass app remote start. The result is the same with both methods.

When you use remote start, it does indeed put the truck in "started" mode, meaning the climate control powers up and starts working, and the gasoline engine starts if needed. But the truck isn't quite fully started up like it would be if you were in the cab. For instance the head unit doesn't come on.

And also, unfortunately, remote start does not enable the pro power generator. You need to physically go in the truck and push the start button to be able to enable the generator. When you enter the cab, with the vehicle running from a remote start, then you need to additionally press the physical start button in the truck. Once you do, the head unit comes on. At this point you can turn on the pro power generator either by pushing the power button in the bed next to the outlets, or if you already have a load plugged in, saying yes to the prompts on the head unit that ask you if you want to enable the generator.

I poked around in the Ford pass app, and while you can monitor the pro power generator from the app, you cannot turn it on or off from the app. In the help it's clear that this is the expected behavior, at least as currently designed, you can only turn on the generator from the truck itself.

This a bit of a bummer for camping. Much better behavior would be for remote start to enable the pro power generator, or at least to make this an option. And for the propower screen of the Ford pass app to be able to turn on the generator, not just monitor it. Folks want to be able to be inside their trailer, hanging out in their PJs, and turn on the generator remotely. There is a ton of promise here - I would just guess Ford is more experienced with their contractor use cases than with their camping use cases for ProPower.

I also brought out my trusty digital multimeter to do some basic testing of the pro power system. The generator has neutral and ground bonded, aka zero resistance between neutral and ground, which means it expects a connected load to not have neutral and ground either bonded or shorted. This question has come up a bunch of times from folks who are having trouble with the F-150 powering their trailers and are having GFI problems either with the F-150 generator or with the GFI's in their trailer. The net is you want to make sure that you do not have any shorts or bonding between neutral and ground in your trailer if you want to run it off of the F-150 generator. This is how my Airstream is wired BTW.

You can also see the F-150 is putting out about 121 volts AC under a light load.

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #162
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Update on F150 generator noise levels for camping. Lots of folks have asked about how loud the engine is, and how often it turns on, when using the F150 to power your Airstream.

The gasoline motor isn't very loud - it's like any other gasoline motor idling. It is much quieter than my Honda EU2000 generator. The gas motor will come on periodically when the F150 wants to recharge its hybrid batter pack and you can set the truck to run at one of two levels of idle - either quiet low idle, or at about 2k rpm idle which will recharge the hybrid pack faster. In my setup, the gas motor comes on about once every ten minutes for two or three minutes when I'm running the air conditioner in the Airstream. The gas motor starts much less frequently when the AC isn't running. I'm not sure how campgrounds will handle this - but I expect quiet hours / no generator hours will probably apply to the F150.

I had also previously noted I hear a fairly loud and definitely annoying buzzing that sounds like high-speed fan noise when the truck is on in generator mode - and while you cannot hear it while inside the cab or the truck or inside your Airstream, it's definitely enough to bother your neighbors in tents in a camground. Note that my previous assumption about this being associated with the generator/inverter was wrong - this noise is present as soon as the truck is turned on, whether pro-power is enabled or not.

I currently suspect the noise is coming from the cooling system associated with the hybrid powertrain. It comes on immediately when the truck is "started", and the noise is constantly present even when the gasoline engine is off.

There are a few reports of other folks who have heard the same buzzing, but not that many, on the F150 forums. I had expected the F150 to be relatively silent when turned on with nothing going on. I will be checking with the dealer to see what they can do about it - I'm not sure if this behavior is expected or not.

Here is a video of what it sounds like under the truck when the hybrid system is in "started" mode and the gas motor is not running.

https://youtu.be/6jjaKLKgXtk

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
Old 05-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
Update on F150 generator noise levels for camping. Lots of folks have asked about how loud the engine is, and how often it turns on, when using the F150 to power your Airstream.

The gasoline motor isn't very loud - it's like any other gasoline motor idling. It is much quieter than my Honda EU2000 generator. The gas motor will come on periodically when the F150 wants to recharge its hybrid batter pack and you can set the truck to run at one of two levels of idle - either quiet low idle, or at about 2k rpm idle which will recharge the hybrid pack faster. In my setup, the gas motor comes on about once every ten minutes for two or three minutes when I'm running the air conditioner in the Airstream. The gas motor starts much less frequently when the AC isn't running. I'm not sure how campgrounds will handle this - but I expect quiet hours / no generator hours will probably apply to the F150.

I had also previously noted I hear a fairly loud and definitely annoying buzzing that sounds like high-speed fan noise when the truck is on in generator mode - and while you cannot hear it while inside the cab or the truck or inside your Airstream, it's definitely enough to bother your neighbors in tents in a camground. Note that my previous assumption about this being associated with the generator/inverter was wrong - this noise is present as soon as the truck is turned on, whether pro-power is enabled or not.

I currently suspect the noise is coming from the cooling system associated with the hybrid powertrain. It comes on immediately when the truck is "started", and the noise is constantly present even when the gasoline engine is off.

There are a few reports of other folks who have heard the same buzzing, but not that many, on the F150 forums. I had expected the F150 to be relatively silent when turned on with nothing going on. I will be checking with the dealer to see what they can do about it - I'm not sure if this behavior is expected or not.

Here is a video of what it sounds like under the truck when the hybrid system is in "started" mode and the gas motor is not running.

https://youtu.be/6jjaKLKgXtk
Thanks for all your research and information sharing! Surely, in a campground, state park, NP, this could be annoying and perhaps not even allowed beyond the posted generator hours. I wonder about the engine running turning on/off to charge and if their will be any issues with pollution from emissions rules coming down the pike also? Seems the 15 min. idle rule may be modified for this. Early yet, but for boondocking or other use, this surely sounds like Ford is on to something. Are the other EV trucks coming out offering similar features?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #164
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Early yet, but for boondocking or other use, this surely sounds like Ford is on to something. Are the other EV trucks coming out offering similar features?
Yes! The newly announced Ford F150 Lightning EV will have a 9,600 watt inverter built in - meaning it can provide up to 50AMP 240VAC power to your trailer. Which is incredible.

The issue with the lightning and all other EVs for the Airstream community will be of course range while towing (range while towing is likely to be substantially less than 100 miles), the length time it takes to recharge (5-10 minutes for gas/diesel fills vs. 30 mins to hours for electric), and the lack of reliable public fast charging infrastructure in areas where you want to be towing and camping. I will be buying either a Mercedes EQS or a Porsche Taycan later this year - I really want electric to work - but I think a practical electric TV for road tripping is a long way off.

The F150 lightning will be incredible for the contractor and homeowner and much of the farm / ranch market. Charge it up at home or at the shop every night and have 300-400 miles of range and 50amps of 240VAC. Amazing.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:22 AM   #165
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
oh - and I forgot to add - I haven't yet seen an EV charging station that was designed for towing. So far, they all seem to work on the model of a passenger car either heading into or backing into a perpendicular parking spot. Public EV charging will have to allocate a bunch more real estate to either have room to drop your trailer and then go charge (not sure who would really want to do this) or to install pull through chargers for EVs that tow - which will take a ton of real estate.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #166
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Using propower with a 23FB

Thank you all for the info posted here, it’s been very helpful. I tried the propower/Airstream connection yesterday for the first time and it works great. I plugged our 23FB into the propower outlet and ran the a/c, refrigerator and water pump for about an hour while we cleaned and packed the Airstream. This appeared to use about 2000 watts. As someone mentioned previously it runs mostly off of the hybrid battery with the engine starting about every 10-15 minutes to recharge and running at 1000 rpm. The engine noise is not too bad, but the engine plus cooling fan (it was over 90 degrees outside) was louder that you’d want at a campsite. For us this is a perfect backup power option for the Airstream and occasionally maybe even our house. For boondocking I can see using this to recharge the Airstream batteries and running the a/c occasionally. I did connect a surge protector first to confirm I was using the correct generator adapter and getting 120v and not 240 from the outlet.

We’ve only had the truck for about a month and so far are very impressed. We haven’t towed with it yet outside of a parking lot to get the Equalizer hitch setup, so can’t comment on the towing ability, but I expect it to be fine for a 6000 lb trailer. I’ve had 3 F350s and while they were (of course) outstanding for towing, a new F350/250 won’t fit into the garage and this truck is also a daily driver.

For those wondering about payload, the F150 Lariat super crew we got (max tow, FX4, power tailgate, 7.2kw propower, spay-in liner, tow mirrors, LT tires) came out at a payload of 1428. Not a lot, but enough for the two of us and some cargo with the 23FB. Potentially even enough for a 25FB or 27FB with a propride hitch and less cargo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	397416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	397417  

Peter-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #167
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
AMAZING information

Thank you for the great posts and the follow through. very good detail.
I will be getting a F150 Lighting for a work truck, but don't plan to tow with it.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #168
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Miamisburg , Ohio
I’m certainly intrigued by the hybrid F-150 but I’ll admit, at this time, it’s not for me. I’m buying a Airstream 25FB which can have a tongue weight of nearly 1,200 pounds. Add the weight of my family of four and a large dog and there’s no possible way I could stay under the max payload. I want a truck that doesn’t require me to hit the scales before every trip and not being able to carry a single piece of cargo. While I know and agree that the hybrid may be in the best interest of some folks, I’ve come to accept that it’s not for me. I’m looking at a 3/4 ton truck. Just need to do more research on different models/specs/prices, etc. There are so many things to consider when towing and payload is unfortunately one that is often overlooked.
McMullap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #169
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMullap View Post
I’m certainly intrigued by the hybrid F-150 but I’ll admit, at this time, it’s not for me. I’m buying a Airstream 25FB which can have a tongue weight of nearly 1,200 pounds. Add the weight of my family of four and a large dog and there’s no possible way I could stay under the max payload. I want a truck that doesn’t require me to hit the scales before every trip and not being able to carry a single piece of cargo. While I know and agree that the hybrid may be in the best interest of some folks, I’ve come to accept that it’s not for me. I’m looking at a 3/4 ton truck. Just need to do more research on different models/specs/prices, etc. There are so many things to consider when towing and payload is unfortunately one that is often overlooked.
I think that's perfectly reasonable. I agree it's wise to be thoughtful about the payload. For me, I'll be solo most of the time and towing a Basecamp, so I don't have your payload needs. I feel fortunate I can make do with the lower payload and get that 7200W Pro Power feature.
djbreslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:16 AM   #170
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
New Smyrna Beach , FL
Quote:
Great questions, Dan. I have many of those questions myself. We will be following your evaluation closely for sure! Couple other questions I had were payload specs when you pick up the F150, and of course, how economical is it towing. Afraid it is too small for towing the larger AS's but this seems to be a trail blazer for many with 25' or smaller IMHO, especially if there is enough payload. Appreciate your update as we follow!
Gypsydad - I ordered a F150 Powerboost myself and of course we are months out from getting our AS 25, but I am curious why you think it won't tow something bigger? I say this because we got this with the possibility that we might actually end up with a 28-30 eventually and the new F150 towing specs and payloads seem to support a bigger TT although you might have to be weight conscious if you do that.
Lablover63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:07 AM   #171
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
New Smyrna Beach , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCross View Post
I also have a powerboost and am towing a 22’ AS. My mpg during towing was about 14 while towing in the TN mountains, a little higher in the flats.
While towing in the CO mountains, about 12 mpg. The real key is speed at which you are traveling. Going 55 mph really boosts the mpg versus going 63 or 64 mph.

My Lariat 4x4 has a payload of 1440. Personally, I will always tow in tow mode... the advanced transmission settings made it worth while.
Jeff - We are about to order a Platinum Powerboost 4x4, according to Ford site the payload shows over 2150, just curious on how your lariat is only 1400ish? Trying to figure out what the real numbers are. An Ecoboost V6 shows over 3200 as max payload. What towing equipment do you have as we would get max Towing but not sure how that affects payload. - Thanks
Old 07-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #172

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lablover63 View Post
Jeff - We are about to order a Platinum Powerboost 4x4, according to Ford site the payload shows over 2150, just curious on how your lariat is only 1400ish? Trying to figure out what the real numbers are. An Ecoboost V6 shows over 3200 as max payload. What towing equipment do you have as we would get max Towing but not sure how that affects payload. - Thanks
The brochure/website payload numbers bear only a passing relationship to any individual truck. I suspect that 2150 is the highest payload achievable from any configuration of the Powerboost truck, which would be an XL or XLT with the smallest cab config on which they sell the Powerboost package. The 3200 lb theoretical payload on a regular Ecoboost is for a short-cab 2WD XL with the "Heavy Duty Payload" (627) package. This package is only available on the longest wheelbase for the cab configuration, and isn't available on anything fancier than a Lariat Base (300A.) That said, you can get a mid-tier XLT 4WD set up for 2500ish lb of payload if you get the 627 option package.

I have never seen a Platinum F150 with anything close to 2k lb of payload... My carefully-ordered Lariat WITHOUT the battery pack (a 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 with 53C max tow) came out just under 1700 lb in 2017. TANSTAAFL, batteries and giant sunroofs and massaging seats have mass.

Look at the door-post sticker payload number on every Platinum they have in inventory. Then think about adding the weight of the battery pack.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Gypsydad - I ordered a F150 Powerboost myself and of course we are months out from getting our AS 25, but I am curious why you think it won't tow something bigger? I say this because we got this with the possibility that we might actually end up with a 28-30 eventually and the new F150 towing specs and payloads seem to support a bigger TT although you might have to be weight conscious if you do that.
It's not that it can't "tow"...(you've seen the pictures of a bicycle towing an AS, right?) Almost any vehicle can tow...it's the safety factor....if you care about that? The "payload", brakes, suspension, nd wheelbase stability all come into play when towing...some folks don't care, or think because they can "tow" a TT, thats all they are concerned with. The specs on payload are notoriously off vs the actual payload for said vehicle. Look at the door jamb; not the specs...each vehicle is different.

I see folks towing a 27-33' AS from time to time with a F150 or other 1/2T as the TV...ask anyone of us who have had both 1/2T and 3/4-1T TVs, about handling a larger AS at highway speeds, or in the mountains at 50+ and having to stop or swerve with a larger AS which TV they feel confident with after having such an event. There are many threads here on AS Forum covering this topic...some folks understand; some folks don't care; many don't really consider all that can happen with an undersized TV for handling, stopping, a larger AS. No judgments here...just saying.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 07-02-2021, 09:58 AM   #174
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Just took our first extended trip with 2021 27' FBT GT. Have a 2020 F-150 3.5 powerboost with tow package and trailer backup assist. Husky centerline hitch. Just two people and a pair of generators so not a heavy payload.

Performance was great. Plenty of power for climbing even at high altitude. No sway issues. Felt very stable on interstate with passing semi(s). Fresh water tank I kept to 50% full. Backup assist works great but there is still a learning curve for a newbie.
DutchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:46 AM   #175
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
New Smyrna Beach , FL
Quote:
It's not that it can't "tow"...(you've seen the pictures of a bicycle towing an AS, right?) Almost any vehicle can tow...it's the safety factor....if you care about that? The "payload", brakes, suspension, nd wheelbase stability all come into play when towing...some folks don't care, or think because they can "tow" a TT, thats all they are concerned with. The specs on payload are notoriously off vs the actual payload for said vehicle. Look at the door jamb; not the specs...each vehicle is different.

I see folks towing a 27-33' AS from time to time with a F150 or other 1/2T as the TV...ask anyone of us who have had both 1/2T and 3/4-1T TVs, about handling a larger AS at highway speeds, or in the mountains at 50+ and having to stop or swerve with a larger AS which TV they feel confident with after having such an event. There are many threads here on AS Forum covering this topic...some folks understand; some folks don't care; many don't really consider all that can happen with an undersized TV for handling, stopping, a larger AS. No judgments here...just saying.
HI and thanks for the thoughtful response. We are certainly "in the care group" but really trying to separate out fact vrs fiction and most of that is on the marketing side of Ford which you allude to. But also understanding, having towed a good size boat that there are all types of people as well and some freak out generally when towing and some have experienced real world issues towing! We certainly want to be cautious and informed.

In a perfect world we would have a F250 just to tow but we are trying to balance out daily driving as well which the F150 is really a treat for that. Since we are new to rving, out expectation is 10% or so of our time will be towing at best but the 90% of the time we just don't want to drive a beast (great looking beast) but still a beast to park in tight places!
Old 07-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #176
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
HI and thanks for the thoughtful response. We are certainly "in the care group" but really trying to separate out fact vrs fiction and most of that is on the marketing side of Ford which you allude to. But also understanding, having towed a good size boat that there are all types of people as well and some freak out generally when towing and some have experienced real world issues towing! We certainly want to be cautious and informed.

In a perfect world we would have a F250 just to tow but we are trying to balance out daily driving as well which the F150 is really a treat for that. Since we are new to rving, out expectation is 10% or so of our time will be towing at best but the 90% of the time we just don't want to drive a beast (great looking beast) but still a beast to park in tight places!
Many folks do pull 27+ size AS's with the F150. We loved our F150 EB with our 2 25' AS's back in the day and it pulled very well, just had a few overheating issues around Vegas at 110 and brake issues down windy mountain roads. Big issue was our payload (which I did not understand) at the time I purchased, was way too low; only 1039lbs...we were always overloaded and did not know it. No question the power is there; it's the other areas where your pushing specs with the 1/2T's on a 27+ size AS. Like I said earlier, many folks don't care, or don't do a lot of heavy cross country use. We go to MT from TX each summer for 5 months driving all over pulling our 28' and I know the F250 with engine brake provides power, control, and payload I need. YMMV
Old 07-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #177
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:

We had our first emergency event this weekend with F150 towing 27ft AS. At dusk driving state hwy with low water crossings I spotted a lot of softball size rocks and mud that had washed onto the road. Braked hard from 70 to under 40 in a short distance and was able to avoid the rocks. Very scary but braking was smooth and controlled. It is just two of us and the 150 seems like the right choice for us.

After going through a number of low water crossings (shallow), we started to get trailer brake disconnected alerts followed by reconnected messages. Anyone experience this?
DutchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #178
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Castle Hayne , NC
I hope you can see my post about my experience with the 7.2 kW generator. Not worth the money or the pain for worrying about what you can run with 3600 watts. Unless you are fine with the AC and that's it. You have pin pointed the weakness that Ford is not telling you and that is the reconfiguration of your RV wiring with multiple 12 volt plus dedicated to each appliance to harness the 7.2 kW. It was not worth the money in my opinion.
Glenn Hoskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #179
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchB View Post
We had our first emergency event this weekend with F150 towing 27ft AS. At dusk driving state hwy with low water crossings I spotted a lot of softball size rocks and mud that had washed onto the road. Braked hard from 70 to under 40 in a short distance and was able to avoid the rocks. Very scary but braking was smooth and controlled. It is just two of us and the 150 seems like the right choice for us.

After going through a number of low water crossings (shallow), we started to get trailer brake disconnected alerts followed by reconnected messages. Anyone experience this?
Glad your feeling good about your F150 TV with your 27'. We loved our F150 EB also with our 25'. As many of us have posted, moving "up" to a more capable TV like a 3/4-1T with 27'-33' you will notice a great difference in overall towing experience. You said your F150 was able to stop in the situation you had with rocks; we have had similar with both our F150 and our 25' AS, and also with our F250 and our 28' AS; they both were able to handle the sudden need to slow/stop, but the F250 overall size/weight/brakes is better able to handle the extra size, weight distribution of the larger AS, is my experience. Not that I wouldn't like to have the F150 to drive around town, but the larger TV's are night and day when towing the larger AS's; (especially if you get a diesel with the engine brake!)

Some/many of the newer Fords had an issue with the pigtail connector from the AS to the TV. (prior posts here on this) When I took my 2017 back to JC couple years ago, I was using duct tape to hold the connector tight to the TV socket. When I told the service tech, he knew of the issue, and replaced the connector with a different type.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #180
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
St Augustine , Florida
I believe it you have a 50amp trailer and plug into the 30amp ford socket you have to lines of 3600v, one line of 3600v it you have a 30 amp trailer
The Boot is offline   Reply With Quote