Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I just received my VIN and some initial production information. It took about three weeks between ordering the vehicle and the order being accepted and the VIN created in Ford's systems. The sales rep is not very responsive and it took a bit of pestering to get him to look up the VIN.

Ford has a decent website for tracking production of their new vehicles. I greatly prefer this to having to bother the sales rep for status like I am used to having to do with Mercedes.

https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking

VIN: 1FTFW1ED8MFB28936
Ordering Dealer Name: The Ford Store San Leandro
Ordering Fin Name:
Ordering Dealer Code: F72018
Ship to Code: F72018
Ordering FIN Code:
End-User FIN Code:
P&A Code: 03928
Region: 72

Order Type: Retail
Order Number: K003
Production Week: Mar-08-2021
Allocation Week: 07-2021
Special Order Number:
Special Build Code:
Plant Name: Ford Dearborn Assembly

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:25 PM   #82

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If they keep that tracking current, it's vastly improved over 4 yrs ago. They had a tracking site then, but it was a bit clunky, not linked from a regular Ford site, dealer staff didn't really know it was available to customers, etc. I watched mine step by step. Rail tracking had a bit of a lag so the salesman did know it was at the railhead before I did.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Another great source for tracking an ordered vehicle is here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f129/who-h...82201/index84/

There are a number of very knowledgeable people who can assist.
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:50 PM   #84
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
I just received my VIN and some initial production information. It took about three weeks between ordering the vehicle and the order being accepted and the VIN created in Ford's systems. The sales rep is not very responsive and it took a bit of pestering to get him to look up the VIN.

Ford has a decent website for tracking production of their new vehicles. I greatly prefer this to having to bother the sales rep for status like I am used to having to do with Mercedes.

I got curious and wanted to see what you ordered. Surprised you didn't order the tow mirrors. At least I didn't see them in the lists.

Waiting to hear what you think about it. I'll be ordering a truck in july/August.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:01 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
I got curious and wanted to see what you ordered. Surprised you didn't order the tow mirrors. At least I didn't see them in the lists.

Waiting to hear what you think about it. I'll be ordering a truck in july/August.
Hi Sam. I did order tow mirrors. I just reconfirmed they were on the order sheet the dealer submitted... dan
Old 02-13-2021, 05:07 AM   #86
JEB
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Northern , Illinois
Quote:

VIN: 1FTFW1ED8MFB28936
Ordering Dealer Name: The Ford Store San Leandro
Ordering Fin Name:
Ordering Dealer Code: F72018
Ship to Code: F72018
Ordering FIN Code:
End-User FIN Code:
P&A Code: 03928
Region: 72

Order Type: Retail
Order Number: K003
Production Week: Mar-08-2021
Allocation Week: 07-2021
Special Order Number:
Special Build Code:
Plant Name: Ford Dearborn Assembly
Please post your loading sticker when you get your truck. I was very interested in one of these and actually found one on a dealer lot that appears to have been a special order that someone else decided, for whatever reason, not to take. It’s a Platinum Powerboost that looks to be optioned similarly to yours except that it didn’t have the max tow package. Instead, it had the tow technology package and the off-road package. I was about to make an appointment to drive it until the dealer sent me the loading information. Payload of 1325. Broke my heart.

I’m hopeful the max tow package and the absence of off-road stuff gives you more payload than the one I was looking at.
JEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
correction

Earlier in this thread I got a little carried away with speculation about how the hybrid (and non-hybrid) generator systems works. When the question came up as to why the truck didn't simply use the 200 amp alternator as the generator, I said the F150 hybrid, like most hybrids, probably didn't have an alternator because it would be redundant. While surfing other F150 forums I came across a picture CurryBob had posted. If the file attachment works, this picture shows a display of the Powerboost engine and an alternator is clearly visible at the far left (although I've seen some places that say a hybrid may have a DC/DC convertor that looks like an alternator)

I also came across this site that says the non-hybrid F150 has a second alternator to support the onboard generator function:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...power-onboard/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 1.20.28 PM.png
Views:	55
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	388640  
dmatzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
CNBC: Some Texans use 2021 Ford F-150 hybrids to power homes amid winter storm.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/18/some-texans-use-2021-ford-f-150-hybrids-to-power-homes-amid-winter-storm.html
Old 02-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2024 25' Trade Wind
Safety Harbor , Florida
Dan and anyone else who is thinking about towing an Airstream with a new F150 with pro power on board, please feel free to share your thoughts on this web site/forum as well: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thre...power-7-2.776/

I've been a member on Air Forum for a long time, and just switched from BMW X5d to F150 Platinum for a tow vehicle. The hybrid option and built in generator with the tipping points for us. I'm going to be following and reading the posts here, and will share with the F150 forum, unless someone specifically asks me not to.
dog_tired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #90
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Hi Sam. I did order tow mirrors. I just reconfirmed they were on the order sheet the dealer submitted... dan
Would you be able to confirm the order line for those tow mirrors? The order system is certainly convoluted, and the extension mirrors don't show up on your factory order tracker, so it may just be that the tow mirrors are embedded in some other package and thus aren't listed, but if so this may help others ordering in the future.

Could it be that the dealer submitted the tow mirror request, but that that option wasn't accepted in the system?

The configuration tool I looked at had two options, and the details in your online order tool appear to match the first mirror, not the second one, which adds the phrase PowerScope Telescoping, under the description of mirrors in package 701A High in the tracking tool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F150 trailer mirrors.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	389051  
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:17 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Thanks. I just sent a note to the sales rep to reconfirm that extendible power tow mirrors are in the build. I will post back here when I hear...
Old 02-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #92
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Would you be able to confirm the order line for those tow mirrors? The order system is certainly convoluted, and the extension mirrors don't show up on your factory order tracker, so it may just be that the tow mirrors are embedded in some other package and thus aren't listed, but if so this may help others ordering in the future.

Could it be that the dealer submitted the tow mirror request, but that that option wasn't accepted in the system?

The configuration tool I looked at had two options, and the details in your online order tool appear to match the first mirror, not the second one, which adds the phrase PowerScope Telescoping, under the description of mirrors in package 701A High in the tracking tool

I pulled up a copy of the 2021 order guide. As with prior years, it explicitly states that the power tow mirrors are NOT included in the tow packages and must be ordered separately. That's why I was surprised I didn't see it when I went thru the order.
Trailer Tow Package (incl. Pro Trailer Backup Assist)
Note: Ordering the Trailer Tow Package does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a
standalone option and must be ordered separately. (Option Code: 54W)

Max Trailer Tow Package (incl. Pro Trailer Backup Assist
Note: Ordering the Max Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered
separately. (Option Code: 54W)
Old 02-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Update on my build - several sharp eyed folks here on the forum noticed that Towing Mirrors were not included in the build information for my F-150 on Ford's official order tracking website. I know I ordered them, and the dealer swears they ordered them too.

Over on the F-150 forum, folks pointed me to an alternate VIN tracking website - https://fordtracker.tech/ and on that site, the towing mirrors are shown in the "other section"

So it seems there may be a small bug in Ford's official order tracking website.

This also seems like a pretty impressive statement about what a massive on-line community and tooling there is around the Ford-150. A huge difference than what I'm used to with Mercedes and Porsche.

For reference:

My VIN -> 1FTFW1ED8MFB28936
Ford's official order tracker -> https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking
3rd Party VIN tracker -> https://fordtracker.tech

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
Old 02-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
For those of you who have ordered an F-150, here is another useful resource. Over on the F150 Forum, there is a thread in which you can enter your VIN, and then a Ford employee will look up in their production system all kinds of interesting production scheduling and shipping information, much better and more detailed than what the dealer has access to.

Here is the thread -> https://www.f150forum.com/f129/who-h...egains-482201/

And for my VIN, the current status as of Feb 27 2021 shows:

Old 02-28-2021, 03:15 PM   #95
phjimfitz

2015 23' International
West Chester , Pennsylvania
As I said previously, I am in the market for a new tow vehicle. After much research, I decided to purchase a 2018 or newer F-150. After much searching, I found lots of newer used trucks but few had a max tow package or some of my other requirements. Although
I did not want to spend the big money, a new truck made the most sense. As I have not purchased a new vehicle since 1987, I needed to learn about the new product as well as the purchase process. Accordingly, I watched a bunch of You Tube videos, read a ton of on-line
info, reviewed some threads and asked questions of several local dealers. I looked at the colors and test drove a truck. Having decided exactly what options I wanted, I joined Costco to get their pricing as a base line. I then sent emails to about a dozen dealers within 100 miles of my home detailing the exact truck and specific options I wanted. I requested that they provide me their best pricing for the buildas described with detailed explanations of all incentives, rebates and fees. Because I live in southeast PA, that 100-mile radius allowed me to contact dealers in PA, DE, MD and NJ. The MSRP of my build was $67,630 less the Lariat High incentive/credit of $1500 making the MSRP $66130. Using the Ford build site, the MSRP was higher but it included a lease acquisition fee. The invoice price of my truck was $63,082 less the same Lariat High incentive/credit of $1365 making the final invoice price $61,717. The Costco price from the closest participating dealer (in NJ) was $350 over invoice. I had other non-Costco dealers make sales offers of $500 over invoice and $370 over invoice. About six dealers offered to sell me the truck at invoice price. One dealer offered to sell me the truck at $900 under invoice. All of them wanted me to
come into the dealership but I declined citing COVID concerns. I responded that I had already seen the new colors and had test driven the new F150. adding that I knew exactly what I wanted and was ready to buy when I received a price that I could tolerate. One or two applied rebates that were either inaccurate or outright lies but when pressed on the phone, those inaccuracies seemed to disintegrate. A couple tried to apply military credits that I knew were not applicable under current programs. After receiving the $900 under invoice offer, I shared that pricing but not the origin with six or seven of the other dealers whose pricing was not competitive. I asked for their best price (in light of the lowest price received). Several did not respond, two said that they could not match that offer and one told me to go buy that truck ASAP as it was an unbelievable deal. Several days ago, I went to that dealer and ordered the truck. I was concerned that some shenanigans might yet come into play. Upon arriving at the dealership, I met with the sales rep for about 30 minutes. We went over the build sheet in detail to ensure accuracy, I signed it and used
my credit card to place a $500 deposit. There are two active incentives in place now, $500 Ford cash and $1000 credit for use of Ford financing. The dealer guaranteed that the actual sale price of the truck will be no less than $1400 under invoice (reflecting the offered $900 under invoice price and the $500 Ford cash. He also explained that the final sale price could be lower if there is a better factory incentive in play at the time of delivery
(higher than the $500 Ford cash in play at the time of ordering) but the final sale price would not be any higher than $1400 under invoice ($60,317.52). Additionally, any financing incentive available at the time of delivery will be applied if financing is used. The sales representative explained that a minimum of $8001 must be financed but no minimum time frame must be applied. More importantly, there is no prepayment penalty. While most
purchasers are not able to pay cash for a new truck, those who can are permitted to pay off the loan within a month at no penalty and with full benefit of discounted pricing. Any additional applicable manufacturer incentives available at the time of delivery will further reduce the final sales price. Because I was disappointed in the Costco price offered from the NJ dealer, I went back into the Costco site and changed my zip code to MD. Once the
participating Costco dealer in MD was identified, I contacted that dealer for a price of the identical build. The Costco price from that dealer in MD was $800 under invoice. The lesson learned was that Costco pricing varies from dealer to dealer and it is worth 10 minutes of computer time to get at least two Costco dealers involved. With a truck now on order, I have to wait an estimated 12-16 weeks which gives me plenty of time to doubt the decisions
made thus far.
Phjimfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

Windsor Locks , Connecticut
F 150 Power Boost

I purchased one 3 weeks ago and will be towing my trailer to Burlington VT., 220 miles to our daughters and Pete’s RV in South Burlington to have a Furion camera installed while we are there. I will let you know how it towed in the Green Mountains.
SteveS52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Update. My F150 started being built this week at the factory. From a timeline perspective, today is about 7 weeks after I agreed on price with the dealer, and about 5 weeks after Ford accepted the order into their systems. The system thinks that the projected date for the truck to hit the dealer (in Northern California) is April 12, which about 4 weeks from today.

The window sticker is also now available on the ford order tracking website and also here -> https://www.windowsticker.forddirect...F8RNgMHYUss%3D

Old 03-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Apparently some new 2021 F-150's are experiencing premature rusting on drive train components. On the F-150 forums, folks are recommending an application of black Rustoleum or equivalent upon delivery from the dealer if you care about surface rust under your truck. I think Ford should be doing this proactively - even if it doesn't hurt performance, who wants rust on their $70k truck that could be prevented by $1 of coating by the parts supplier.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...rust-reported/

Old 03-10-2021, 05:18 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

Windsor Locks , Connecticut
My truck had it as well. I brought it to be under coated and informed the guy who was doing the job to take pictures and take care of it if the truck had rust. He took care of it.
SteveS52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
For a newer Airstream, you need a NEMA L14-30 Female to NEMA 14-50 Male adapter, that will connect each of the four wires coming from your F150 to their counterpart in your Airstream.
Like this one? Would it work without frying the AS’ electrical system?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55422-P...5503583&sr=8-1

Confused as it says 30 to 50 but voltage is 125 not 240?

And thanks for the very detailed info.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote