Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #281

2020 23' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
In response to your comment about the F-150 not recognizing the trailer brakes, I had this problem the first time I tried to tow my 23FB. It is definitely the truck because I’ve towed the same trailer with other vehicles and had no problem. The Ford service manager ran all the diagnostics he could think of and found no problems. He ended up putting a good amount of dialectic or conductive grease on the connector and it’s worked fine ever since. Unfortunately I can’t say for certain which type of grease he used. He specifically said it was dielectric but I don’t understand how that would have help so I’m wondering if it was actually conducive grease. Anyway, problem solved for the few thousand miles I have towed since. The truck (Lariat super crew PB w/ max tow) has far exceeded my expectations both as a tow vehicle and a daily driver.
Peter-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #282
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Piedmont area , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKerns View Post
In order to get the true Max Payload option, the only F150 versions are XL 300A and XLT 301A. It is not available with any 122" or 145" cab/bed combo, but is available with 4WD, and any cab/bed combination other than the 122" or 145".

When ordering Max Tow the Max Payload is included and required but only for XL and XLT as above, so apparently if you specify Max Tow with anything other than XL or XLT you do not get (and cannot order) the Max Payload option.

Have I got it right?
Yes, max payload is only available on XL and XLT long wheelbase as noted above[/QUOTE]

We ordered our F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 6.5 bed in October. Could not find anything on the lot with max towing and heavy duty payload. We got the 301A package. I know we will lose some payload with the 4x4. It is scheduled for production in December.
DogMomDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #283
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne b View Post
Yes, have towed it with another vehicle, never lost the brakes, but I'm going to carefully inspect to see if there are bent pins or dirt. The lights are working, so of course if it's 1 out of 7 that goes bad, it's the brakes. Going to invest in something to hold and cap the plug in the future. Similar to previous comment about holding the connector in place with duct tape, the idea that you might lose your brakes traveling down a steep grade because a blade needs to be slightly wiggled is . Looking at replacements, it seems airstream installs $5 connectors and the better quality ones are maybe $15? (Apologies for taking this thread a bit off the F-150 topic...)
Just to be clear, the Airstream tech I explained this issue to, seemed to know of this problem while I was at JC few years ago and they replaced the pigtail on the Airstream...I did not delve into what was wrong, but since have heard/sceen others with the F150 with the same issue.

When I was on the highway first time this happened, after I had taken a few trips and my brake light warning light came on I freeked...pulled over, unplugged then reinserted the plug; it happened again few miles later so I started using the duct tape around the connector/receptacle to make sure it did not come loose and that worked fine..(duck tape is great stuff, right!) I did inspect the pins and the receptacle and also applied Electrical Silicon spray but that did not fix. Replacing the pigtail fixed the problem, so not sure exactly what causes this; perhaps a mfg. issue in some of the pins inside the pigtail? Could be they are made within the tolerance/specs but between the Ford receptacle tolerances, could both be just a bit off?

In researching this morning, I see several posts referencing this issue with other trailers and Ford F150's also...several say its a "grounding" issue with the electronics, claiming it does not affect the brakes nor lights...I find that hard to believe and still very unnerving. Fortunately, as I mentioned, mine is fixed with the new pigtail. Let us know if you get to the bottom!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Yes, max payload is only available on XL and XLT long wheelbase as noted above
We ordered our F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 6.5 bed in October. Could not find anything on the lot with max towing and heavy duty payload. We got the 301A package. I know we will lose some payload with the 4x4. It is scheduled for production in December.[/QUOTE]

My 2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 EB, was only 1039# payload on door jamb sticker! I was always overloaded...did not understand payload at the time towing my 25's. I had kayaks, a generator, camp gear, firewood, my dog...likely around 1700lbs including the 900+lbs tongue weight of the 25! I remember looking at new Toyota Tundras in 2017, along with RAM's; could not find one on the lots I visited with actual payload stickers higher than 1300-1400 lbs! The Ford Lariat and lower trim models including the GMs had higher payloads for sure...

What was interesting, was the sales guys at Toyota and RAM dealers would argue the payload being much higher (2000#+) without knowing about the payload sticker significance...until we went to look on their inventory! Not sure much has changed in that department now.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #285

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Apologies if this has been covered, but in talking with Ford representative I got the following information and wanted to confirm it is entirely correct. For background I am interested in maximizing payload but OK with almost any reasonable tow rating.

In order to get the true Max Payload option, the only F150 versions are XL 300A and XLT 301A. It is not available with any 122" or 145" cab/bed combo, but is available with 4WD, and any cab/bed combination other than the 122" or 145".

When ordering Max Tow the Max Payload is included and required but only for XL and XLT as above, so apparently if you specify Max Tow with anything other than XL or XLT you do not get (and cannot order) the Max Payload option.

Have I got it right?
Close. 300A and 301A are both XLT configurations, not XL.

Heavy-Duty Payload (option 627) is available on both XL configurations (100A and 101A) as well as the lower and middle XLT configurations (300A and 301A) if you also have the longest wheelbase available for your particular cab.

To keep pushing buyers into Superduty trucks, Ford sharply constrains what individual options you can choose on lower option packages of the F150. Lots of the appearance packages (chrome pkg, sport pkg, etc.) are locked out if you choose HD Payload, to keep you from custom-ordering a fancy-ish truck that also has the HD payload setup, because they want you to order the higher-margin Superduty if you want a Lariat level of equipment with bigger payload.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #286
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-B View Post
In response to your comment about the F-150 not recognizing the trailer brakes, I had this problem the first time I tried to tow my 23FB. It is definitely the truck because I’ve towed the same trailer with other vehicles and had no problem. The Ford service manager ran all the diagnostics he could think of and found no problems. He ended up putting a good amount of dialectic or conductive grease on the connector and it’s worked fine ever since. Unfortunately I can’t say for certain which type of grease he used. He specifically said it was dielectric but I don’t understand how that would have help so I’m wondering if it was actually conducive grease. Anyway, problem solved for the few thousand miles I have towed since. The truck (Lariat super crew PB w/ max tow) has far exceeded my expectations both as a tow vehicle and a daily driver.
Thanks for this info Peter, also have the Lariat and besides this issue very satisfied. As I mentioned, we towed with a previous vehicle without losing brakes. Obviously due to weather and dirt, the 7pin could be in worse shape than with that vehicle. With your story, it doesn't sound like it was definitely the Ford, the magic grease could have also cleaned out the corroded Airstream side of the connection, or allowed the blades to wiggle more than they were, fixing the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Just to be clear, the Airstream tech I explained this issue to, seemed to know of this problem while I was at JC few years ago and they replaced the pigtail on the Airstream...I did not delve into what was wrong, but since have heard/sceen others with the F150 with the same issue.

When I was on the highway first time this happened, after I had taken a few trips and my brake light warning light came on I freeked...pulled over, unplugged then reinserted the plug; it happened again few miles later so I started using the duct tape around the connector/receptacle to make sure it did not come loose and that worked fine..(duck tape is great stuff, right!) I did inspect the pins and the receptacle and also applied Electrical Silicon spray but that did not fix. Replacing the pigtail fixed the problem, so not sure exactly what causes this; perhaps a mfg. issue in some of the pins inside the pigtail? Could be they are made within the tolerance/specs but between the Ford receptacle tolerances, could both be just a bit off?

In researching this morning, I see several posts referencing this issue with other trailers and Ford F150's also...several say its a "grounding" issue with the electronics, claiming it does not affect the brakes nor lights...I find that hard to believe and still very unnerving. Fortunately, as I mentioned, mine is fixed with the new pigtail. Let us know if you get to the bottom!
I'll definitely follow back up on this thread when I get to the bottom of it, in case other f-150 owners experience this. Interestingly on the Ford board (with other makes of trailers), people are convinced it's the Ford, with discussion of maybe software will fix it. Here, it's the airstream pigtail. Of course, several manufacturers could be using the same slightly incompatible connector. I'll reiterate how crazy it is that the most important safety feature of the Airstream hinges on a $5, seemingly standard (but maybe not!) connector, that can be as fussy as a 1983 Atari Space Invaders cartridge you need to blow in to get working.
wayne b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #287
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Apologies if this has been covered, but in talking with Ford representative I got the following information and wanted to confirm it is entirely correct. For background I am interested in maximizing payload but OK with almost any reasonable tow rating.

Have I got it right?

The best source of information of this type is the Order Guide for the vehicle/model year you are interested in. While listed as proprietary, Ford's guides are readily available on the web. It may take a bit of work to line up the requirements and restrictions, but all the info is there.

For 2019 F-150's:
The new/changed packages section states:
"Heavy-Duty Payload Pkg (627) – optional on XL and XLT (Base/Mid) only"

This is the spec for the XL trim line:
"Heavy-Duty Payload Package (req. 53A Trailer Tow Pkg. with 995 5.0L engine; req. 53C Max Trailer Tow Pkg. with 994 3.5L EcoBoost® engine; NA with 3.0L V6 Power Stroke® Diesel engine (991))"
Old 11-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #288
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
We ordered our F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 6.5 bed in October. Could not find anything on the lot with max towing and heavy duty payload. We got the 301A package. I know we will lose some payload with the 4x4. It is scheduled for production in December.
My 2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 EB, was only 1039# payload on door jamb sticker! I was always overloaded...did not understand payload at the time towing my 25's.

[/QUOTE]

As a comparison, my 2015 3.5EB has a 2050 payload. It all depends on how its ordered from the factory. Thats more payload than many 2500's made by dodge.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:05 PM   #289

2020 23' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Interesting that some are claiming this issue does not impact the brakes nor lights. In my case that was not true – the brake lights did not work and I tried driving around the parking lot and activating the brakes manually with the brake controller. Neither the lights nor the brakes worked.

On my last tow vehicle I replaced the OEM 7-pin connector with an aftermarket plug after carelessly breaking off the cover. Parts and labor at the local hitch shop came to about $50. If the problem reoccurs for me I may try replacing the plug on the F150. Seems like that could be a cheap and easy solution if, in fact, the problem is with the plug and not the wiring beyond the 7-pin connector.
Peter-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:50 AM   #290
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Piedmont area , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
The best source of information of this type is the Order Guide for the vehicle/model year you are interested in. While listed as proprietary, Ford's guides are readily available on the web. It may take a bit of work to line up the requirements and restrictions, but all the info is there.

For 2019 F-150's:
The new/changed packages section states:
"Heavy-Duty Payload Pkg (627) – optional on XL and XLT (Base/Mid) only"

This is the spec for the XL trim line:
"Heavy-Duty Payload Package (req. 53A Trailer Tow Pkg. with 995 5.0L engine; req. 53C Max Trailer Tow Pkg. with 994 3.5L EcoBoost® engine; NA with 3.0L V6 Power Stroke® Diesel engine (991))"
I used the 2022 Ford RV and Towing guide to figure out how to order what I wanted. We got max towing and the heavy duty payload with 157 inch wheelbase, 3.73 electronic lock rear axle 36 gallon tank. The GVWR package is 7850. And the towing capability is up to 13,800. Of course we won't know actual payload until we see the door sticker or weigh it ourselves.
Even though the dealer salespeople were nice they really didn't understand how to configure the truck for towing.
DogMomDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #291
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-B View Post
Interesting that some are claiming this issue does not impact the brakes nor lights. In my case that was not true – the brake lights did not work and I tried driving around the parking lot and activating the brakes manually with the brake controller. Neither the lights nor the brakes worked.

On my last tow vehicle I replaced the OEM 7-pin connector with an aftermarket plug after carelessly breaking off the cover. Parts and labor at the local hitch shop came to about $50. If the problem reoccurs for me I may try replacing the plug on the F150. Seems like that could be a cheap and easy solution if, in fact, the problem is with the plug and not the wiring beyond the 7-pin connector.
It did impact my brakes and lights; some folks claim it was a software glitch is what I have read, but not for me. Maybe an intermittent connection; I could not find a pin bent nor any tell tail issues when I checked, and the ducktape wrap around the pigtail plug when connected to the Ford receptacle worked till AS folks at JC fixed it. Wish I had asked them how they knew and what they suspected was wrong.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #292
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Tabernash , Colorado
Trailer disconnect

I have towed my AS about 10K miles with my F-150 powerboost and really love it. My experience with trailer disconnect is that I get the warning message after we have stopped someplace and then started up again.

What I have done is hit "OK" 7-8 times and then the message goes away. I havent gotten the message that lights aren't working and generally I think its charging my batteries when we are driving. (I do have solar too, so hard to tell).

The other situation I have had 6-7 times it that when stopping at the grocery store or at a rest stop for lunch while I am hooked up, my truck starts sounding the alarm as if the trailer is being disconnected. I get the message on the phone that the trailer is disconnected, as if someone is trying to steal it while I am in the grocery store. The truck alarm is blaring pretty loudly. Neither the truck or the trailer is moving.

After this happened a number of times, I just disconnect the 7 way from the truck whenever we stop and then reconnect when we get ready to go again. Also, when getting gas or small stops, I push the 7 way in to "tighten" that connection so I dont get the trailer disconnect message when driving.
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #293
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCross View Post
I have towed my AS about 10K miles with my F-150 powerboost and really love it. My experience with trailer disconnect is that I get the warning message after we have stopped someplace and then started up again.

What I have done is hit "OK" 7-8 times and then the message goes away. I havent gotten the message that lights aren't working and generally I think its charging my batteries when we are driving. (I do have solar too, so hard to tell).

The other situation I have had 6-7 times it that when stopping at the grocery store or at a rest stop for lunch while I am hooked up, my truck starts sounding the alarm as if the trailer is being disconnected. I get the message on the phone that the trailer is disconnected, as if someone is trying to steal it while I am in the grocery store. The truck alarm is blaring pretty loudly. Neither the truck or the trailer is moving.

After this happened a number of times, I just disconnect the 7 way from the truck whenever we stop and then reconnect when we get ready to go again. Also, when getting gas or small stops, I push the 7 way in to "tighten" that connection so I dont get the trailer disconnect message when driving.
Well, that's exactly why I used the ducktape to keep the connection, before replacing the pigtail...
Old 11-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #294
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I have towed about 5,000 miles now with my combination of 2021 F150 Platinum and 28 foot 1999 Safari.

I have never experienced the trailer disconnect problem. The 7-pin trailer connector on my Airstream is pretty beat up too.

So far my experience with the F150 as a tow vehicle has been excellent. I have found the pro-power inverter to be game changing for towing, tailgating and camping and it's my favorite feature of the truck. It's so cool to have your own portable power station.

The vehicle is extremely comfortable when towing and on road trips with the family. I've been getting about 20MPG on the highway without towing, and about 10MPG when towing.

My remaining complaints about the truck are:

• The electric transmission fluid pump makes a loud annoying buzzing noise whenever the truck is turned on - even in electric only mode with the gas motor not running. Very annoying for camping when you want pro-power on, but the truck to be quiet.
  • Lane keeping assist does not work well when towing - it introduces a fairly scary trailer oscillation at highway speeds in my setup.
  • Ford missed it's internal deadlines to deliver blue cruise self driving by fall 2021, and even when it is delivered, it won't be able to change lanes, pass slower vehicles, go around sharper freeway bends and it's not integrated at all with the navigation system so it cannot take exit ramps or drive from one highway to another. It's also not clear if blue cruise will be enabled while towing.
  • Ford has done zero OTA fixes to the trucks software, despite featuring this capability - there are a bunch of annoying bugs that have been around with the head unit since I took delivery.
  • The service at my dealership is disastrous. Keystone cops bad.
My only other wish is that Ford offered a diesel hybrid instead of the Powerboost gasoline hybrid, as my prior diesel tow vehicle achieved about 50% better MPG than my F150 does, but I think this is probably not in the cards.

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #295
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
I have towed about 5,000 miles now with my combination of 2021 F150 Platinum and 28 foot 1999 Safari.

I have never experienced the trailer disconnect problem. The 7-pin trailer connector on my Airstream is pretty beat up too.

So far my experience with the F150 as a tow vehicle has been excellent. I have found the pro-power inverter to be game changing for towing, tailgating and camping and it's my favorite feature of the truck. It's so cool to have your own portable power station.

The vehicle is extremely comfortable when towing and on road trips with the family. I've been getting about 20MPG on the highway without towing, and about 10MPG when towing.

My remaining complaints about the truck are:

• The electric transmission fluid pump makes a loud annoying buzzing noise whenever the truck is turned on - even in electric only mode with the gas motor not running. Very annoying for camping when you want pro-power on, but the truck to be quiet.
  • Lane keeping assist does not work well when towing - it introduces a fairly scary trailer oscillation at highway speeds in my setup.
  • Ford missed it's internal deadlines to deliver blue cruise self driving by fall 2021, and even when it is delivered, it won't be able to change lanes, pass slower vehicles, go around sharper freeway bends and it's not integrated at all with the navigation system so it cannot take exit ramps or drive from one highway to another. It's also not clear if blue cruise will be enabled while towing.
  • Ford has done zero OTA fixes to the trucks software, despite featuring this capability - there are a bunch of annoying bugs that have been around with the head unit since I took delivery.
  • The service at my dealership is disastrous. Keystone cops bad.
My only other wish is that Ford offered a diesel hybrid instead of the Powerboost gasoline hybrid, as my prior diesel tow vehicle achieved about 50% better MPG than my F150 does, but I think this is probably not in the cards.
I sent a copy of your post to my friend who has same model now 6 months old, towing a 28' SOB. He replied he has same issues you mention...still, loves the truck...for now.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #296
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Built in the second half of the year, my F-150 has BlueCruise already, so I've been using it for a month or so. It's "hands free," but limited. The difference between a lot of cars with adaptive cruise control and the current version of BC is having your hand on the wheel vs. having your hand on your knee. People on the F-150 boards are upset they don't have it yet, but what it is currently isn't worth getting worked up over. There's a face sensor that will alert you if your eyes are off the road. If they solve the lane keeping sway issue, it might be nice to stay in the slow lane with it on, but I can't imagine it will be able to change lanes with a trailer safely in the near future.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:30 AM   #297
3 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
[*]Ford has done zero OTA fixes to the trucks software, despite featuring this capability - there are a bunch of annoying bugs that have been around with the head unit since I took delivery.
My 2021 F-150 PowerBoost was delivered last July. I did get an OTA update about a month later. None since. Is your F-150 hookup to a WiFi hotspot while parked?
Old 12-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #298
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Houston , Texas
+ 1 for the trailer disconnect message on my Powerboost. I have found that selecting generic trailer in the towing option and then re- selecting your actual trailer will often fix this - but is inconsistent.

FWIW I have received two OTA updates since purchase in June 21.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #299
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWilma View Post
+ 1 for the trailer disconnect message on my Powerboost. I have found that selecting generic trailer in the towing option and then re- selecting your actual trailer will often fix this - but is inconsistent.

FWIW I have received two OTA updates since purchase in June 21.
Fred - have you experienced it while towing or just at start up? Did you tow the AS with a previous vehicle that didn't have this issue?
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #300
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Info for DogMomDeb post #290. We rec'd our 2021 F-150, XLT, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 6.5' bed, 4x4 in October. Wanted the goodies of the Lariat but went for the payload... 2421#

Truck drives nice. 11.9-12.1 mpg (a smidge better than expected) with a 25' FC FBT.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Titus F-150 Payload.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	408905  
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote