Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #341
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARF View Post
We will be towing our new AS with our Audi Q5 TDI. (Yes - our rig will be setup by CanAm.) I welcome experience-based recommendations on the following:
  • Should I install mud flaps?
  • If so, on just rear wheels or all four wheels?
  • Use genuine Audi mud flaps or is there a better after market mud flap?

Thanks, Allen
Hi Allen,
I tow a 28FC with the Q5 TDI. So far so good! Trailer purchased from Can-Am and hitch set up by them.

I do not have mud flaps but have considered buying them. I looked at rock tamers but I am pretty certain they will not fit on the hitch once Can-Am has finished setting it up. If you think you may go this route I would let Can-Am know before they start installing things.

When I do buy mud flaps I WILL get the Audi ones. After all, isn't that what the loyalty cash is for?

Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #342
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
VW TDI Settlement Announced

I saw the VW announcement for their TDI settlement on the VW & Audi 2.0L TDIs, but it says nothing about the 3.0L V6 TDI in the Cayennes, Touaregs, & Q7s in there.

Here are links to the Autoweek online article & to the settlement website, for those with the 2L TDIs FYI ....

http://autoweek.com/car-news/vw-dies...n=awdailydrive

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:06 AM   #343
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
I saw the VW announcement for their TDI settlement on the VW & Audi 2.0L TDIs, but it says nothing about the 3.0L V6 TDI in the Cayennes, Touaregs, & Q7s in there.

Here are links to the Autoweek online article & to the settlement website, for those with the 2L TDIs FYI ....

http://autoweek.com/car-news/vw-dies...n=awdailydrive

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Yes, I saw that. It is nice to go on scouting trips to dealers and say "Volkswagen told me I would be buying a new car in November." It automatically takes the sales person out of the 'do it today' mentality as they know there is no way they can match that deal today on a trade. But they have to support your research, test drives and all, as they know you will be buying, even if you bought identical (or gas version) of what driving today. The numbers don't add up to get it fixed alternative as you suddenly have a car depreciated to today's market rather than Sept 2015 with all the wear and tear to further lower the value. Basically, you get a do over.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #344
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
The only out of spec issue is the tongue weight.
I have a 2006 Cayenne S with the 7700 / 616 sticker and based on the info in the thread, I believe the hitch can handle the 770 lbs of the orig stickers.

I rented a 20 ft FC last week and stopped at a CAT scale to get the weights on each axle. Unfortunately, I was communicating with the operator by speaker phone and he didn't tell me that both axels of the Cayenne was on the same scale . The results were 6580 lbs for the Cayenne and 4040 for the FC.

My guesstimate was that the loaded FC weighed about 4,640 (168 lbs of water + 200) which means that the Cayenne was supporting 600 trailer lbs. We used a Reese WD hitch.

We're in the market for a 25' FC and I want to use the hitch unmodded

Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #345
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Ahoy all, newbie here

I've spent countless of hours, or rather weeks reading and researching and I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface about this whole new airstreaming adventure our family is about to invest in for the next 20 years <grin>. Anyhoo, I upgraded from my Audi AllRoad to a used 2014 Touareg TDI and about to pickup our new 23D this weekend. For those of you that has this same model, what mirrors works best for you? I really like the Milenco Aero 3 design but looking at my side view mirror, I don't see how it'll 'clip' on all that well. Any suggestion would appreciated, thank you all!
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #346
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
The Milenco Aeros should work well. The clips can be used around the top of the mirror frame or the bottom. Make sure you get them on tight. I have lost one that we "adjusted" from in the car and must have worked loose. You should have good line of sight down both sides of your 23.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #347
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
The Milenco Aeros should work well. The clips can be used around the top of the mirror frame or the bottom. Make sure you get them on tight. I have lost one that we "adjusted" from in the car and must have worked loose. You should have good line of sight down both sides of your 23.
I pinged another member here and he liked the JR Products Aero 2 Towing Mirrors. I originally was going w/ the Milenco Aero 3 but they both look pretty identical other than the JR is quite a bit more expensive. Both confirmed works great, only question is which two is better made? TIA!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #348
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2oadRunnei2 View Post
I pinged another member here and he liked the JR Products Aero 2 Towing Mirrors. I originally was going w/ the Milenco Aero 3 but they both look pretty identical other than the JR is quite a bit more expensive. Both confirmed works great, only question is which two is better made? TIA!

I believe they are one and the same. If I'm not mistaken JR Products is the distributer in the US.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #349
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
Hey Fcloud9, I was wondering is your Touareg a 3.6l gas engine? We are considering one of these (used) to tow our 24 Tradewind...thanks , Mike
KZGoodchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #350
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Ahoy all, newbie here

I've spent countless of hours, or rather weeks reading and researching and I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface about this whole new airstreaming adventure our family is about to invest in for the next 20 years <grin>. Anyhoo, I upgraded from my Audi AllRoad to a used 2014 Touareg TDI and about to pickup our new 23D this weekend. For those of you that has this same model, what mirrors works best for you? I really like the Milenco Aero 3 design but looking at my side view mirror, I don't see how it'll 'clip' on all that well. Any suggestion would appreciated, thank you all!
Those clip-on mirrors drove me crosseyed with all their vibration, & didn't get out far enough to see past the trailer anyway (as required by Calif. law), so I got the McKesh strap on the door mirrors from Hensley, & have been very happy (also recco getting the optional fisheye mirrors too), & their extension range is adjustable.

https://hensleymfg.com/product/mckes...owing-mirrors/

Here's a pic of them on someone's Cayenne (we don't have one yet) - it's the black mirror extending well beyond the Cayenne's blue factory mirror (& well beyond what the clip-ons do):

Cheers!
Tom
///////

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 09-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #351
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Thanks Tom. I ended up ordering the JR Aero 2 and will try it out for myself and then maybe get that Hensley if it doesn't work out. I was under the impression the JR's would comply w/ CA law since we do plan to drive to Anaheim (guess where lol) next year. The only reason I didn't pick the Hensley is the way it touches the car door <grin>. Granted I bought mine used and its in excellent condition, it still my DD TV
Old 09-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #352
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Thanks Tom. I ended up ordering the JR Aero 2 and will try it out for myself and then maybe get that Hensley if it doesn't work out. I was under the impression the JR's would comply w/ CA law since we do plan to drive to Anaheim (guess where lol) next year. The only reason I didn't pick the Hensley is the way it touches the car door <grin>. Granted I bought mine used and its in excellent condition, it still my DD TV
I wouldn't worry about the straps on the doors, since you can pad them with soft felt material if they touch, to keep them from rubbing.

I'm a PCA Porsche club Concours Judge, & plan to show our Cayenne S + TV + DD "extra car" (my guess it will get into a regular DD rotation with the BMW & Westy), so I've looked at those rub issues before buying them.

Go to the Cal. DMV website & look up their towing requirements section for the mirrors & other stuff.

Safe travels to the "Big D"!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 09-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #353
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Admins & Site Owners -

3x doing the CAPTCHA test & getting blank pages instead of posting our reply is NOT acceptable! It took 4th time to actually post it.

You need to dump CAPTCHA & get another BOT protection provider who can operate properly!

This is LUDICROUS!
Tom
///////
Old 09-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #354
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
I wouldn't worry about the straps on the doors, since you can pad them with soft felt material if they touch, to keep them from rubbing.

I have been using the Hensley mirrors since I purchased the trailer last fall and during our trip this summer of 2 weeks, the Hensley mirrors put rub marks on both doors where the straps and pads touched the doors. I have been able to mostly buff it out but I can still see marks when the light is just right. Granted, I did not remove the mirrors for the full 2 week trip but I did not expect there to be any issues at all. If you use the Hensleys, take them off often and clean under then as I think that dust was the culprit on mine.

I have just purchased the Repusel Luxmax 3007 mirrors for the Audi. I hope that these mirrors will make the difference.
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:28 AM   #355
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Latest trip

Traveled over 1700 miles up through Yellowstone into Canada and back down through Waterton park Glacier NP back down to Denver... great trip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5837.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	271725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5830.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	271726  

Name:	IMG_5742.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	708.1 KB
ID:	271727  
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:12 AM   #356
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Bern - Thun , Berner Oberland
Greetings from Switzerland! -Werner

Cruiser6483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #357
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
On the Road to Yellowstone

We're nearly a month into our trip and the Cayenne S has pulled the FC 25 like a champ. Our V8 is getting 10.5 mpg at 70 over the hills and 13.5 mpg at 60 on the flats. I've been monitoring the coolant temp with an OBD reader and 218F is the most I've seen. The oil temp has been steady although the gauge is little more than an idiot light. No issues with the mountains as the 6 sp auto always has a gear ready for whatever the slope.

The short wheelbase allows some side to side movement in the crosswinds but the turning radius is a dream

We use a Husky Centerline and so far no issues with sway. Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_8008276.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	271742  
Old 09-16-2016, 11:17 PM   #358
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Thumbs up An adventure of a lifetime starts today!

We finally drove our new 2016 FC 23D home this afternoon. My first biggest and heaviest tow ever and I'm glad I got this TV and she is also my first owned TDI. Of all the TV I've researched, I am very happy and confident these two will be paired for a life time of adventure
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160916_141145 (2).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	271790   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160916_140859.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	271791  

Old 09-17-2016, 05:55 AM   #359
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Dave

If you slide your hitch shank in all the way you can mark where a new hole would go. Then take it to a machine shop and have one drilled. The 2" of reduced overhang will improve the crosswind handling.

I would also keep an eye on your receiver it looks like it might be bending but it is hard to tell in the picture. Some bend is ok but if it goes further you might want to consider strengthening it.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #360
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
If you slide your hitch shank in all the way you can mark where a new hole would go. Then take it to a machine shop and have one drilled.
I did it last week

Quote:
The 2" of reduced overhang will improve the crosswind handling.
My main goal was to reduce the length of the lever arm to prevent hitch damage but if it also improves crosswind handling, then that's great.

Quote:
I would also keep an eye on your receiver it looks like it might be bending but it is hard to tell in the picture. Some bend is ok but if it goes further you might want to consider strengthening it.
I've been watching it every day.

Thanks for your comments, Dave