Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #301
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_kelly View Post
Totally agree with you on the black color with Porsche - I'm a fan of white with the terra-cotta interior

Attachment 260498

caw
Hey Chris,

I'm actually restoring my ole `73 914-2.0 "914S" back to it's original Light Ivory with Beige (tan) interior, so it's back to the original color (current 1980 repaint to the 930 Anthracite Grey Met. in the pic below), of which I'm the 2nd owner since Dec. `75.

While we would certainly consider those same colors on a CayS with the rear camera &/or tow option, if in CA or nearby states, & <60k miles, preferably 30-50k .....

We'd really like to find a nice `08-10 in Marine Blue Metallic (see pic below, but not with the aftermarket wheels nor GTS/Turbo with the air
susp.), or a newer`11-13 in Dark Blue Metallic - either preferably with Grey or Tan interior - or those interior with Silver or Dark Grey Metallic.

They also had Jarama Beige Met. & Gold, Olive Green Met. with Beige/Tan which looks interesting, & maybe some other less common color combos.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0117101239_1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	260571   Click image for larger version

Name:	post-10181-1264064832_thumb.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	260572  

Name:	2233246.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	260573  
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #302
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Hey Chris,

I'm actually restoring my ole `73 914-2.0 "914S" back to it's original Light Ivory with Beige (tan) interior, so it's back to the original color (current 1980 repaint to the 930 Anthracite Grey Met. in the pic below), of which I'm the 2nd owner since Dec. `75.

While we would certainly consider those same colors on a CayS with the rear camera &/or tow option, if in CA or nearby states, & <60k miles, preferably 30-50k .....

We'd really like to find a nice `08-10 in Marine Blue Metallic (see pic below, but not with the aftermarket wheels nor GTS/Turbo with the air
susp.), or a newer`11-13 in Dark Blue Metallic - either preferably with Grey or Tan interior - or those interior with Silver or Dark Grey Metallic.

They also had Jarama Beige Met. & Gold, Olive Green Met. with Beige/Tan which looks interesting, & maybe some other less common color combos.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

That's a rock solid 914 - as much as I love cars we're going minimalist in order to prep for our move back West.

Are you hell bent on a Cayenne from SoCal - seems like a ton of used and CPO are in the DC Metro. Also found quite a few on the Monterey peninsula.

caw
chris_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #303
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Macan S - AS Options

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the forums (wave) and I am in the midst of considering an Airstream. However, even though I can follow most of the towing conversations I get confused when people start to talk about going over the ratings of the car.

I have a 2016 Porsche Macan S and am looking at purchasing an Airstream in the next couple of years (sooner if I find a great deal). However, I am confused on what I am reading on different forums as well as vehicle ratings.

I currently have a Macan S and I am trying to determine how "much" Airstream can I get.

When I asked my Porsche dealership on my Tow Vehicle ratings, he provided me the following information:

4410 is the max trailer weight, but you can tow 5,219 if you have trailer brakes. 441 lbs. for the tongue weight.

I am wondering the following:

1. Am I limited to the Airstream Bambi line (16 or 22fb) due to the tongue weight?
2. What would be the safest set up for my vehicle in regards to Sway Bars, Breaking systems, Weight Distribution, and do I need to re-enforce my tow receiver?

I am sorry for being such a newbie, however reading everyone's posts makes my desire to move from a Class A RV to an Airstream grow even larger :-)

Thanks in advance for the info!

Tara
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #304
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Ketchum , Idaho
Few considerations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the forums (wave) and I am in the midst of considering an Airstream. However, even though I can follow most of the towing conversations I get confused when people start to talk about going over the ratings of the car.

I have a 2016 Porsche Macan S and am looking at purchasing an Airstream in the next couple of years (sooner if I find a great deal). However, I am confused on what I am reading on different forums as well as vehicle ratings.

I currently have a Macan S and I am trying to determine how "much" Airstream can I get.

When I asked my Porsche dealership on my Tow Vehicle ratings, he provided me the following information:

4410 is the max trailer weight, but you can tow 5,219 if you have trailer brakes. 441 lbs. for the tongue weight.

1. Am I limited to the Airstream Bambi line (16 or 22fb) due to the tongue weight?
2. What would be the safest set up for my vehicle in regards to Sway Bars, Breaking systems, Weight Distribution, and do I need to re-enforce my tow receiver?

I am sorry for being such a newbie, however reading everyone's posts makes my desire to move from a Class A RV to an Airstream grow even larger :-)

Tara
Tara- with regard to size, you could get into as large as a 23FB according to what you have been told above. I suspect the brakes on the Macan are pretty substantial and you will have more than adequate torque to tow.

Although the 19' Bambi technically has a higher than allowed tongue weight, you may be able to get that down with some rearrangement that others have mentioned (ditch the spare tire, rearrange batteries, ditch one of the propane tanks).

I have never towed with a WD or sway control, which either means I have been lucky & stupid or the Q7/Touareg Air suspension has taken care of most of the tissues others might experience. Regardless, I'm not going to be much help with that part of the discussion.

Other good news is that there are a lot of people that get into a smaller AS and decide to trade up, so there are some good deals to be had out there. (might even be willing to sell you mine
JustinCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #305
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCase View Post
Other good news is that there are a lot of people that get into a smaller AS and decide to trade up, so there are some good deals to be had out there. (might even be willing to sell you mine
Justin, love the fact that you are thinking of selling yours! What model/year do you have?

I am going to look at the 23FB and its specifications just to learn more about it as I have no need for 2 propane tanks and I have already looked at what it would take to change out the batteries (even moving to the Lithium Ion).

As you probably can tell, I am a large pre-planner and like to know all my options first.
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #306
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_kelly View Post
That's a rock solid 914 - as much as I love cars we're going minimalist in order to prep for our move back West.

Are you hell bent on a Cayenne from SoCal - seems like a ton of used and CPO are in the DC Metro. Also found quite a few on the Monterey peninsula.

caw
Chris,

I'm looking nationwide on just about all of the usual online sites & the P-dealers, but most of the `11-13's are plentiful but well overpriced per NADA & KBB _ but they will eventually have todrop with the market as it's flooded right now with trade-ins, & the `08-10's have thinned out significantly since last Fall.

While I prefer SoCal for convenience, & anywhere in CA to stay within the legal protections for consumers & ease of getting a car into CA (smog is required & there's a `10 in SF area sitting for a month+ waiting on parts to pass smog).

However, I will travel out of CA for the right equipment & colors & miles/condition.

But I swear, almost everything out there now is freaking black!!!!

My 914 is actually solid at the longs & floors, but was stored since 5/85 due to a getting mashed F & R in a parking structure by a ditz, after I'd done a full on body & mechanical rolling resto in `80-83 before grad school for my MBA - so I stored it since then to do, wherein it did suffer some tin-worm damage even in my garage for 31 years!

However - being my 3rd car since my first in Fall `69 & 10 years as my daily/only & lots of memories - I want to get 'er back to showroom condition. That said, I'll be visiting with the guy who owns Auto Atlanta for a sanity check on that project vs. buying a better 914-2.0 in a Blue Metallic when I'm there in early May!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 04-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #307
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Tara
Hi Tara,

We actually considered a Macan S for our TV for our vintage kin 1960 Avion T20, but my wife wanted more cargo room in the back. So you might also consider getting a restored vintage AS, Avion, Silver Streak, etc. which would be as nice & usable as a new one, including TV & other comforts - but they weigh much less than the current counterparts.

Also, vintage trailers open up the world of vintage trailer rallies & events - in addition to the AS rallies etc. for newer "Silver Twinkies." Several of the posts on here are of "new" Cay/Treg/Q7 TVs with vintage trailers & they look as classy as a new AS. If you've not been to one, then go to the Vintage Camping Trailer magazine website, & look for one near you, or make a trip to the West Coast & combine a visit at one with Vacation!

The big Pismo Vintage Rally will be May 20-22, with a public open house to tour all 375-400+ vintage trailers on Sat. 10 a 0 4 p - & we'll be there, so feel free to drop by for a visit with my wife Jana & I!

For example - our Avion T20 is 21'-6" L (23' +/- with the Hensley Cub WD/AS hitch on there), & about 3000-3500# loaded & 542# HW including the Cub & 2x 30# LP tanks & Tekonsha RF brake controller/mounting plate - so easily within the Macan HW spec with smaller LP tanks & creative trailer loading as noted above by Justincase.

Also, Porsche may have a higher HW with a WD hitch than the 441#, so ask your dealer Tech to look up in their Factory Manuals for you (I know that they do with the Cayennes).

So just some other options to consider in your long term planning .... or maybe shorter term than you think!

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Old 04-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #308
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1460771924.329448.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	260826Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1460771972.884733.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	260827
Latest road trip in Bryce and Zion National Parks
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #309
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have a 2016 Porsche Macan S ....

Tara
So Tara, how about some pix of your new Macan S ride!?

You can add some of the trailer when you decide & get one!

Best!
Tom
///////
Old 04-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #310
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
North Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hitch modifications

Anyone towing a 25'+ with a Touareg /Cayenne unmodified factory installed hitch?
We are about ready to move from a 23FB that we have had no problems with to a 25FB.
I was thinking of larger 1000lb EZ lift bars and watching the weight in the trailer.
From what I've read in most of the blogs and forums the hitch seems to handle the increased weight. Has anyone heard of problems? Or are we still within a safe weight range?
Bldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:05 PM   #311
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ketchum , Idaho
I'm interested in this answer, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bldog View Post
Anyone towing a 25'+ with a Touareg /Cayenne unmodified factory installed hitch?
We are about ready to move from a 23FB that we have had no problems with to a 25FB.
I was thinking of larger 1000lb EZ lift bars and watching the weight in the trailer.
From what I've read in most of the blogs and forums the hitch seems to handle the increased weight. Has anyone heard of problems? Or are we still within a safe weight range?
Does this mean you currently are towing the 23' with just the factory hitch and no WD or sway control?

I currently tow our 19' Bambi with just the stock hitch, but I'm thinking of moving to a larger trailer.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #312
1 Rivet Member

We are towing a 23FB with a WD EZ lift 600lb bars.
No problems at all, we moved up from a 22 sport last year and now have a deposit on a 25FB.
Some people are doing the Can Cm modification for piece of mind, I'm wondering if anyone has towed a 25" + without the hitch mod?
Old 04-18-2016, 07:29 AM   #313
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I towed a 19' without WD and just a sway bar with a 2004 Touareg V8 with no problems. I then towed a 25' with a 2007 Touareg V10 diesel with a Hensley and no problems. Both had air suspension.

But I only carried a full spare in the touareg along with light weight items like empty water jugs, etc. The generator, chairs and stove went into the back of the trailer under the dinette to help distribute the load.

I did not add the CanAm hitch mod because my V10 had an extended warranty and the only way I would do that modification would be to remove bath tub muffler and reroute the exhaust. Otherwise, that mod hangs a bar too low beneath the muffler.
And besides, my hitch was never compromised.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #314
1 Rivet Member

I have a 2014 VW TDI.
The Can Am hitch mod seems to add piece of mind. I don't know how much actual strength is needed.
I understand there are limits to the extra weight added to the factory hitch.
There must be a safe range on all of these hitch weights.
I've read reports of people who have put a lot of miles with standard hitch and WD bars.
Are we overthinking this as a problem?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #315
worried...happy...wo...ha

Menlo Park , California
The only out of spec issue is the tongue weight. But this said, there are many who do not pay attention to actual tongue weight and tow airstreams with 1200lbs plus on their hitches (and many of them are only rated 1000lbs). With the Touareg/Cayenne hitches being rated at 770lbs (or 620lbs depending who put the sticker on them), the situation is that one should pay an effort to keep the airstream's tongue weight in check. We did this by removing the trailer's spare tire (we upgraded our wheels and tires to Michelins), by moving the heavy batteries from the tongue toward the center of the trailer (we now have LiIon), and by storing heavy items (such as the full size spare for our Cayenne) under the dinette. To add a piece of mind, we also modified the hitch so that it handles better the potential stresses added from using a WD (remember the manual: WD is not recommended, which is just based on the different philosophies between Europe and the US). Our tongue weight is now about 800-900lbs (depending on the loading) - it actually was way above what the sticker said on the empty trailer (a 25FB international), which makes one wonder what the real tongue weights are.
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #316
1 Rivet Member

So, after you've done all of the weight re-arrangement , do you think it was all necessary?
Would you have done anything differently having used it for a while?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 PM   #317
worried...happy...wo...ha

Menlo Park , California
I don't know, but I have a good piece of mind that everything I am doing is on the safe side. This is not only about me but also to keep the boss happy.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #318
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ketchum , Idaho
Breaking news! New tow vehicle just delivered tonight

2010 VW Touareg TDI.

Will post pics soon.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #319
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
…but also to keep the boss happy.

It's always about the boss
chris_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #320
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
I tow a 28' with a 2012 Cayenne S. I got advice from Andy at Canam and some components from them and so far it's great.
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote