Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 06:28 AM   #81
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
19 MPG Towing an AS!!!

Roy Boy 16 - you have provided a great report on the new Chevy 3 liter diesel. Never thought I would hear that high mileage towing in a variety of terrains! How large is your gas/diesel tank? With a 30 gl tank, you would have a range of almost 400 miles!

Gassers are getting 10/11 MPG towing, and my F250 never gets to 19MPG! 34 gl tank range is about 340 miles.

I hope TFL Trucks tests this newer 3 liter on the IKE!

Here’s hoping your 3 liter enjoys the longevity of most diesels I have read about!

Bring it to the Top of Georgia AS Park and you will have a lot of admirers with many questions!
Old 08-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #82
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Correction the range on the Roy Boy’s 19MPG with a 30 gl tank would be nearly 600 miles! My grandson interrupted my post, so the number I entered was incorrect!

Plus the 1/2 T’’s increased maneuverability is much better than super duties. On our trip from middle Georgia to the AS Park N of Helen, we were stopping for a meal, my navigator said “The GPS says we need to make a U-Turn” = a joke! I was not aware of Apple Maps having such a great sense of humor!
Old 08-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I'm beginning to think that asking about tow vehicles is a bit like asking what kind of oil should be use on some of the sports car forums that I frequent.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I'm beginning to think that asking about tow vehicles is a bit like asking what kind of oil should be use on some of the sports car forums that I frequent.

Not quite but close.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #85
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
I noticed in this cited article the author strongly suggests that as long as you do not exceed the Front and Rear GAWR and the tire load ratings, you can safely ignore exceeding the GVWR.

https://rvlifemag.com/towing-half-to...e-quarter-ton/

On my new 2020 Ram 1500 the front GAWR = 3900lbs and the rear GAWR = 4100lbs.
The sum of the two GAWR = 8000lbs. However, the GVWR on the door sticker is 7200lbs. According to the referenced article I could potentially be 800lbs over GVWR and not actually be exceeding weight ratings.

Pretty sure that exceeding GVWR would be problematic with the DOT or in a question of liability in an accident. Comments?
Old 08-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:

Dennis, ask about solar panels and chargers next. And then ask about portable generators. And compare how quickly the threads goes to 5 pages. But don’t count responses that hijack the thread and go off topic.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
Dennis, ask about solar panels and chargers next. And then ask about portable generators. And compare how quickly the threads goes to 5 pages. But don’t count responses that hijack the thread and go off topic.
I’ve already been into some of the solar and generator threads, so I have seen what you mean! They remind me of the threads asking if winter tires are really needed when driving in snow.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 08-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #88
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy16 View Post
2020 Chev 1/2 ton Silverado with the new Duramax 3.0 diesel with the 10 speed transmission with trailering pkg.. We just got back from a two week trip from Wisconsin to Colorado and this truck was unbelievable. I can pass going up grade, engine braking going down. Averaged a 19 mpg round trip. This engine is the real deal. Went on a trip to the UP in Michigan without pulling anything and averaged 35 mpg. Rides and handles excellent.
This is an eye opener for me. Practically doubles my mpg. Most of the threads I’ve seen on 3/4 ton diesels indicate a 13-14 mpg towing, and nowhere near 35 mpg not towing. I’m already used to towing with a half ton. What length AS are you pulling? Just curious, what payload does your door sticker say? I could see this really being a game changer for GM.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 08-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #89
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Haliburton , Ontario
This was yesterday 120 miles empty 50-65 mixed hilly and flat. 6.9L/100km is around 34 mpg
Old 08-30-2020, 07:19 AM   #90
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
This is an eye opener for me. Practically doubles my mpg. Most of the threads I’ve seen on 3/4 ton diesels indicate a 13-14 mpg towing, and nowhere near 35 mpg not towing. I’m already used to towing with a half ton. What length AS are you pulling? Just curious, what payload does your door sticker say? I could see this really being a game changer for GM.
Just an FYI, this mpg really got my attention. I looked for gently used Silverado 3.0 liter diesels yesterday. The published mpg is like 18/24 city highway. I get that now with a gas engine. (18 not 24). I wonder if he intended to say 25 and not 35 mpg..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 08-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
The towing MPG is remarkable — roughly a 50% increase in what I can achieve with my 5 Liter Cummins.

I’ll have to keep this in mind when it is time to replace it.
Dismissive cat
Old 08-30-2020, 09:01 AM   #92
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETroup View Post
I noticed in this cited article the author strongly suggests that as long as you do not exceed the Front and Rear GAWR and the tire load ratings, you can safely ignore exceeding the GVWR.

The sum of the two GAWR = 8000lbs. However, the GVWR on the door sticker is 7200lbs. According to the referenced article I could potentially be 800lbs over GVWR and not actually be exceeding weight ratings.

Pretty sure that exceeding GVWR would be problematic with the DOT or in a question of liability in an accident. Comments?
It's best to use GAWR's and tire load ratings for payload capability...and don't forget the CAT scales to confirm the numbers while hitched loaded for camping.
You really can't do it here on a keyboard.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Houston , TX
3.0L Duramax owner here with about 12500 miles. I've really been trying to keep an eye on MPG figures because that's one of the reasons I purchased it so here's been my pretty consistent experience with it from a MPG & Towing standpoint.

Truck Specs: 2020 Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab Shortbed, 3.0L Duramax, Z71 4x4, OEM 275/60R20 Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts, Accessories spray-in bedliner, aluminum hard bedcover, AMP powersteps. CAT Scale with me and full tank of gas 5740 lbs; Door sticker curb weight says 5478 lbs

Trailer Specs: 2021 Airstream International 23CB, CAT Scale ~ 5800 lbs packed for trip.

City Driving
Very hard for me to tell and comment on accurate MPG figures for pure city driving. I do quite a bit of sitting/idleing while the truck is on. But upper teens for MPG in the city would be an easy conservative thing for me to say, including all the idleing

Highway Driving
This is where it really excels. I try to monitor this closely playing with the driver information center, looking at the instant, last 25 miles, 50 miles and 400 miles.
*60 MPH =33 MPG
*65 MPH =30 MPG
*70 MPH =26 MPG
*75 MPH =23 MPG
*80 MPH =20 MPG

Towing
Using the Equalizer 4 weight distributing/anti sway hitch.
1. Towing home from Austin -> Houston, trailer unloaded and truck was just me and my wife we averaged just at 16 MPG keeping it 60-70 MPH mostly but did creep up into mid-70's easily without realizing it.

2. 2400 mile trip Houston -> Colorado -> Houston, total hand calculated MPG for trip was slightly over 15 MPG which included 2100 towing (up to 8000 ft elevation) and 300 miles of scooting around unhitched. While towing we were 65 MPH range a bit but really 70-75 MPH for a ton of the trip. Pure towing MPG's on highway seemed to range between 13.7-14.9 hand calculated, that's going there into increasing elevation.

Downfall (to me) is the 24 gallon tank, wish it was a little larger but I can make a 700 mile trip on the highway if it's just me and the truck. Towing we usually stop every 200-250 miles for bathroom break and to fill up to be safe, usually we're around 1/4 tank left there. DEF usage is something new to me to as this is my first diesel! I think the DEF tank is maybe 5 gallons? The first 4000 miles of city/highway driving with this truck I used maybe 3 gallons. It didn't come full from the dealership and I filled it up with one bar still remaining. But towing.. good gosh. Total 2400 mile trip we used 9-10 gallons of DEF. Started out with full tank and about 1000 miles in I had the red alert and filled up 4 gallons.

All in all I am just really pleased and impressed with this truck. Mainly the 3.0L engine paired with 10 speed transmission.

Of note, there has been one time when I hand calculated the MPG and it was lower than what the computer displayed. The other (easily at least 20 times) the hand calculated measurements were higher than computer display.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETroup View Post

As Bob indicated, when towing you get a better experience paying attention to axle limits than the GVWR becasue it more accurately applies to a vehicle with cargo but no trailer. It is generally determined based on suspension travel and/or vehicle roll and is intended to maintain a reasonably pleasant and comfortable passenger experience. So if comfort is an issue for you while towing, by all means watch GVWR. Otherwise pay more attention to axle limits and you will continue to have a safe and stable tow setup.

The DOT is concerned about commercial haulers so if you're towing commercially, indeed you must stay below the labeled GVWR. Accident liability while towing could be a concern if you exceeded axle limits, towing limit or combined vehicle weight limit as all of those demonstrably affect safety. Payload not so much. If a clever insurance company or lawyer tries to make a deal of it, they will have difficulty demonstrating it contributed to the accident when all the other parameters were good, but the hassle of going through that may not be nice, so pick your poison.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:09 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Truly Impresive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy16 View Post
We had a 2013 Chev Tahoe to pull our 23FB International Serenity. Worked o.k. up to 65 mph but shifted a lot any faster than that. Ordered a 2020 Chev 1/2 ton Silverado with the new Duramax 3.0 diesel with the 10 speed transmission with trailering pkg.. We just got back from a two week trip from Wisconsin to Colorado and this truck was unbelievable. I can pass going up grade, engine braking going down. Averaged a 19 mpg round trip. This engine is the real deal. Went on a trip to the UP in Michigan without pulling anything and averaged 35 mpg. Rides and handles excellent.
That is really worth looking into for me. The ride of a 1/2 ton daily with that kind of towing efficiency is amazing! Sounds like that will be my next truck.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We are four days into our shakedown cruise. Headed into the Black Hills in South Dakota tomorrow.

The 1/2 ton Denali truck is pulling my International 23FB with ease. It’s pulling easily, handling great, and there’s no squat in the rear suspension. I’m using a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH with 1,000 lb. bars.

Easy peasy!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 09-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
We are four days into our shakedown cruise. Headed into the Black Hills in South Dakota tomorrow.

The 1/2 ton Denali truck is pulling my International 23FB with ease. It’s pulling easily, handling great, and there’s no squat in the rear suspension. I’m using a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH with 1,000 lb. bars.

Easy peasy!
That is a beautiful truck and trailer set up!
If you are looking for a very nice RV Park, look into Big Pines RV in Custer SD, which is just SW of Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
Attachment 379494
Old 10-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I'm posting some additional followup now that I have a little bit of experience towing with my GMC 1500. I've towed the Airstream about 1,900 miles so far, in a variety of conditions. These include interstate highways, mountain roads with 7% grades, rain, and high wind.

Based on my experience so far, I'm very pleased with the 1/2 ton truck for my application. The truck has enough power to tow the trailer, including mountains roads. The truck/trailer combination is stable, even in high wind. The cargo capacity of the truck is more than adequate for my needs and the way that I camp. The braking and stopping performance of the truck seems very well matched to the 23 FB.

For anyone considering the combination of a 1/2 ton truck and a 23' or smaller trailer as I was a few months ago, I am pleased to report that my experience has been positive.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 10-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #99
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
I'm posting some additional followup now that I have a little bit of experience towing with my GMC 1500. I've towed the Airstream about 1,900 miles so far, in a variety of conditions. These include interstate highways, mountain roads with 7% grades, rain, and high wind.

Based on my experience so far, I'm very pleased with the 1/2 ton truck for my application. The truck has enough power to tow the trailer, including mountains roads. The truck/trailer combination is stable, even in high wind. The cargo capacity of the truck is more than adequate for my needs and the way that I camp. The braking and stopping performance of the truck seems very well matched to the 23 FB.

For anyone considering the combination of a 1/2 ton truck and a 23' or smaller trailer as I was a few months ago, I am pleased to report that my experience has been positive.
I am with you on this as my 2018 GMC 1500 Sierra pulls our 2018 22FB like butter. We use the Equalizer anti-sway set up for our hitch.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:53 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
As others have suggested the higher center of gravity the straight axle front and the compromises to the rear suspension required to keep it in relative balance with the front diminishes cornering performance a bit over a 2X4. Not a lot, but enough, so if you don't have a specific need for four wheel drive some might want to forgo it. Mine? It's a 4x4 for the snow up north when we used to visit frequently and the occasional poor campsite.
Hm. So getting the suspension lowered could actually make a lot of sense?
Closed Thread