Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Talk to your dealer about reducing the height of a F-150. My dealer's shop manager assured me he could change some of the factory components out and reduce the height by about 6" without getting into changing drive shaft length. Just a suggestion. He said it would be about $2,000 CND $. Subtract about 30% to US conversion.
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #42
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Narayan,

After commenting that I didn't think the F250 comes with Max Trailering. Its not called that but you can get HD towing and camper options on 250s and 350s, which substantially increases payload, making ride harsh. Bottom line... a base 250 gasser will have what you need.

About ride: my truck with a few hundred pounds in the bed rides fairly well and reducing air pressure to 55# all around with no load is even better. With trailer on, I am very happy. There is no magic bullet, if you want high load carrying the ride will suffer. IMO, a maxed out, as far as load carrying F150 would not ride as good as a base F250, of course only conjecture on my part.

Many drop the pressure to 55 psi all around, or even 50 psi rear. The tires can take it.

When specing out your new F250 (;-), go with Michelins over GY or Continental, or ?. I normally don't like GY, but these are pretty tough... E rated at 3340# max each... on an axle (rear) rated for 6340#... so a nice safety margin.

I then started researching how to lower my truck a little and not break the bank in the process. In 2017 all 4x4s (250 and 350) went to a 3-1/4" tall spring block in the rear; by simply replacing with 2016 blocks the rear is 1.25" lower. Doesn't sound like much but it is noticeable. I actually just ordered them and will do it myself.

Dropping the front isn't as easy, but possible. Mine is even taller with +1 springs for the snow prep package. I see guys going with 4400# springs, which nets you about 1-1/4" drop in the front, probably more for my truck. I probably won't do this, but would like to.

Besides making the truck lower for ease of loading bed and ingress / egress this change allows entering certain height restricted parking garages. I have experienced this... in the negative.

F150: it will easily do what you need if options kept to a minimum and HD options added. But, fully loaded, I don't think so.

You can prove this by visiting Ford dealer(s) and looking at a max trailering HD payload luxury model and looking at the yellow sticker in drivers side door jam. See attached pic. See if you can find one with over 2000# of cargo rating.

If you were to get one, you would probably end up trying to make it tow better by adding or upgrading to E rated LTs... add air springs and want a better hitch, like the super heavy Hensley or Pro Pride, all adding weight.

Where as, you can most likely find a F250 gasser on a lot, but they might have to bring it in. That should allow you more bargaining power.

Let us know what you decide and post photos. We like pictures!
WW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	label2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	321407  
Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
@pteck--yep. I'm trying to get away with enough to be safe. I'm not a truck guy and am doing this somewhat reluctantly.

@gypsydad--really helpful, thanks. I, like you, want a truck with some creature comforts for the family. It's annoying to me that if I spec HD payload on the 150 I can't get a build with premium stereo. But it is equally annoying to me that I can't get a 250 that will fit in my garage...

I hear you on the windshield replacement. I've had to replace two on my Volvo and at $500 a pop through my insurance company it's annoying. I've also heard that on a trip to Alaska you should budget at least one windshield...

Thanks again.
Few additional comments; dealer windshield insurance at $500 for 5 years coverage makes sense to me, if your on the road a lot. I had been using my auto insurance for the "free" repair at the Ford dealer, when I got a chip or crack. I did not know it was being treated as a liability hit until I tried to get a quote to change insurance companies last year....AAA said they could not quote me since I had 3 claims filed...I was flabbergasted since I had never filed an insurance claim other then my "free" windshield fixes. New windshields I replaced were out of pocket $500+ when I replaced them; this insurance was cheap and wish I had new about it earlier. Hope to head to Alaska also next spring...although many folks recently say the roads are much better...

The comments about the ride of an F250: in 2017 Ford changed the suspension and the ride is night and day different over 2016 and prior models. Wife and I could tell a big difference, which contributed to our moving up in size also. It rides great empty or with a load...anyone who has driven a new one will likely agree; very nice ride on the newer F250's. For those who say "you need a 1T; not a 3/4T", like anything else that's a matter of opinion; for my needs, the F250 works fine and is big enough for our use.

Tailgate step; YES! Ford has this feature over the competition! I can grab the hand hold, step up on the retractable step, and easily get in/out the bed; I even put my kayak on my right shoulder while stepping up in the bed to load on my racks. Makes it easy for the wife also if she has to get in there to haul furniture or plants, or whatever...

As for the garage concerns....been there...think about buying a new larger garage....with a nice house attached for the wife and kids! LoL
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Galt , California
specing an F-250

As a proud owner of an F-250, I can help with some of your questions. Definitely go diesel! When I got my first 250 (03), I was contemplating the V19 available at that time, until a good friend who pulls horse trailers talked me out of that idea. Now on my fifth one (not due to bad trucks, just that they kept getting better), and I am now running a 2017 Lariat 4X4. I might add that Ford is the only US truck that now makes its own diesel since 2011. They incorporate reversed heads which means no turbo lag at all, much like a gas engine. Also now 440 horse with over 900 Ft Lbs of torque. The platinum adds bling for a lot more money, but no extra towing capabilities. The best all around axle is the 355 with electronic lock up. I always get the steps. Wife and grandkids seem to be able to get in and out with no problems. The 2017, and later have aluminum bodies, and with the weight savings, were able to fully box the frame and cross members with premium steel, and still weigh less than the steel body trucks. Believe me, they are very strong. Mine has 20" wheels, which seem to be pretty standard on P/Us. They ride very quiet, and feel very sure footed on wet roads. Our current AS is a 2017 Signature 27'FB, and the truck really does not feel that load. Just returned from the Salem rally, and mileage ranged from 14 to15.5, depending on the fuel (Oregon was better than California). Very quiet ride too. Hope that helps some
absteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'm an XLT guy. '17 F250 4x4, 4:30 rear, 6.2 gasser, crew cab, short bed, camper package, 3,111 pound payload, skid plate package. No roof lights, no sun roof.

I didn't want to mess with diesel, didn't want to worry about potential out of warranty repair stuff, def fluid, etc etc.

Also, wanted lots of payload, I like to throw a face cord of firewood in the bed, the bikes, propane, grill, e z up tent, tools in the back, chairs, heavy duty bottle jack, air compressor, and maybe some day a cap, along with a generator or two, extra fuel, and not worry about being over weight.

Gas mileage is around 11 mpg towing, and between 13 and 14.5 running around town, would likely get 15 or so pure highway but rarely do I take long trips with it other than towing.

Oh yeah, I have the tailgate step, and it's SWEET! I'm 6'1" tall and weigh in at about 195 pounds. That step, and grab handle, make getting up and down out of the bed a breeze.

17k miles, no issues, put gas in and go. Change oil every 5k miles.

Nice truck, pulling a 30 foot international. Ride is a stiff empty, smooth when loaded down, and this truck manhandles the airstream, rather than vica-versa
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #46
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
I'm an XLT guy. '17 F250 4x4, 4:30 rear, 6.2 gasser....

How do you like the 4:30 gears?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
Hi. Some of you may have seen my other thread, Help spec a new F-150. This is its companion thread.

I'm a newbie seeking advice on speccing a TV for a 2019 Globetrotter FB Twin. I'm hoping these threads provide me (and future owners of similarly sized trailers) some insight on how to navigate the myriad options involved in tow truck specs, hopefully without the dogmatic opinion that seems to have plagued the similar threads.

You can view the first post in that 150 thread for some context on trailer use and payload. For this thread, I'll get straight to my questions:
  • Whereas speccing an F-150 seems to be about finagling this option and that option to arrive at a workable tow and payload capacities for the GT, the F-250 seems a lot more straightforward. Am I correct in thinking that the only major decision to make is gas or disel, and that any 250 with the max tow package is more than capable of carrying my family and gear and towing my trailer?
  • Are there any configurations I should avoid? There is part of me that thinks that if I need to get a big truck, I might as well get a Platinum and some options then call it done.
  • Assuming I don't need Max Tow with the 250, I'm not clear on which axle ratio, wheelbase, or alternator I should get. 3.73 non-limited slip axle ratio is standard.
  • I've read differing opinions on wheel size. I have 20" wheels on my Volvo SUV and I like they way they ride. I switch to 18" wheels in the winter though due to potholes. Should I take a similar approach with the 250? Should I change the standard tire spec?
  • I really don't like the height of these large trucks; I wish they could be specced to be lower to the ground. Is there anyone carrying a family in a 250? How do people manage kids getting in and out of them?

Here's the build I'm considering:

Base config for the 250:
  • 6.2 FlexFuel (I'm really hoping I don't need diesel) / 4 x 4
  • CrewCab / 6-3/4' bed
  • Tonneau cover & bike rack

In Lariat Trim:
  • Lariat Ultimate package
  • Tow Technology package
  • Tailgate step
  • Power running boards
  • Misc accessories

In Platinum Trim:
  • Platinum Ultimate package

As you can see, the Platinum Trim w/ the Ultimate package pretty much takes care of everything I'd need to add on to the Lariat. Just not sure on the more technical specs (axle, alternator, wheel/tires, etc.). I'm very mechanically competent--when it comes to bicycles.

Here's where I'll qualify my interest in the 150. I don't want a large truck. I want a truck I can potentially use 100% of the time, which is the 150. A 250-size truck will be useless to me 9 months of the next year and probably 10+ months out of most years thereafter. At home a 250 will not fit in my garage (in fact will require car shuffling if it's in the driveway), will be a pain to drive around town, gets horrible gas mileage in stop-and-go traffic, and does not lend itself to urban parking or maneuvering. At the farm the 250 will rip up the trails I'm currently maintaining with my side-by-side. So though it is clearly a better truck for towing, it's a worse lifestyle truck for me. This is by no means disparaging those with 250s, just qualifying why I'm looking at both the 150 and the 250 and figuring out which set of compromises I am most comfortable with. I think a lot of the people who say "go with the bigger truck" assume the only use for the truck is for towing an AS and are not particularly concerned or considerate about the broader context in which a truck might play a role.

Seems like both trucks will roughly be the same price, though I suspect I'm more likely to find the 250 Platinum on a lot or even used and get a better deal on it than I am the 150 with all the specific options I'll need to make it work. I have the luxury of time here, though, since my trailer won't be picked up until after winter.

Anyway, hoping to get some advise on speccing a 250 here. In a similar spirit, let's not make this a "get a 350" or "get a 150" thread--let's make it helpful for anyone considering a 250. I'm hoping it's a lot more straightforward than the 150 given that the base truck more than covers the numerical aspects of my setup.
A couple of sugestions. First with the 6.2 gas engine, get the 4.30 positracton rear end. Next get the snowplow option. For $100 you get a bunch of upgrades. Other than these 2 options, the rest are your personal preferences.
[emoji4]
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
A couple of sugestions. First with the 6.2 gas engine, get the 4.30 positracton rear end. Next get the snowplow option. For $100 you get a bunch of upgrades. Other than these 2 options, the rest are your personal preferences.
[emoji4]

You might consider being open the the diesel F250. I drive mine daily. I park mine in my garage. It gets great mileage for what it is and people have no issues getting into it. Also have ZERO worries when towing. Diesel is simple to find as well.

Your circumstances may be different, heck they probably are. Have not read this entire thread but find it interesting that some folks seems to be reticent to even consider F250 diesels. I have owned both a 150 and a 250. MUCH happier with my 250.

Have you driven one? Everyone is different. Just my two cents.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Galt , California
My 2017 F-250 gets 23 solo on the hiway. Very quiet and smooth with full tire pressure.
Lariat and above come with the tailgate step and handle standard. Also, I always got the sprayed in bed liner, but changed to the bed rug. Much easier on surfaces, and the grand can snooze in the back whilst you fish
absteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Many people do not like diesels for a couple of reasons, mainly because if the wife drives it much, they don't like the inevitable diesel fuel smell on their hands and feet. Unless you drive a diesel 200k, the numbers aren't there for a diesel vs gas. Plenty of towing power with the new 6.2 gasoline engine.
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 09-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
[emoji4]
Don't do this. It's about right sizing. Not overcompensating. It's called the snowplow option, not the a travel trailer option. See how they don't even bother with such a named option...because it's not necessary! The standard F250 gasser is already more than capable of handling any Airstream ever created. With margin to spare.

The added snowplow and 4.3 rear ends serve nothing more than to exacerbate the compromise the is already the F250. Worse ride. Worse gas mileage.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #52
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Actually, there is a "snow plow/ camper option. It is generally considered for a slide-in camper, though.

As far as worse gas mileage with 4:30's goes, I suppose it depends on how you are using the truck.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Don't do this. It's about right sizing. Not overcompensating. It's called the snowplow option, not the a travel trailer option. See how they don't even bother with such a named option...because it's not necessary! The standard F250 gasser is already more than capable of handling any Airstream ever created. With margin to spare.

The added snowplow and 4.3 rear ends serve nothing more than to exacerbate the compromise the is already the F250. Worse ride. Worse gas mileage.
Actually the snow plow option is one of the best options you can get especially for only $100. It basically levels the truck and is much more stable, has a higher output alternator, and heavier shocks. The 4.30 rear end tows better than the 3.73 and not much difference in mileage. Mike's 5 Star programmer can make the 6.2 stay with most diesels and also help the mileage.
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 09-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #54
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Actually, there is a "snow plow/ camper option. It is generally considered for a slide-in camper, though.

As far as worse gas mileage with 4:30's goes, I suppose it depends on how you are using the truck.
Quote:
Actually the snow plow option is one of the best options you can get especially for only $100. It basically levels the truck and is much more stable, has a higher output alternator, and heavier shocks. The 4.30 rear end tows better than the 3.73 and not much difference in mileage. Mike's 5 Star programmer can make the 6.2 stay with most diesels and also help the mileage.
Sorry, I don't buy into this. Last time I checked, Airstreams were bumper towed travel trailers. With weight largely on the rear axle.

More stable? I believe you mean more stiff legged. Normal F250s are already rated to 12k lbs worth of trailer...way more than any Airstream ever made. Might as well budget for an Airsafe hitch while you're at it. Perhaps an air suspension seat as well.

More always comes at a cost. All too easy to lose sight of the other, sometimes more important qualities.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Sorry, I don't buy into this. Last time I checked, Airstreams were bumper towed travel trailers. With weight largely on the rear axle.

More stable? I believe you mean more stiff legged. Normal F250s are already rated to 12k lbs worth of trailer...way more than any Airstream ever made. Might as well budget for an Airsafe hitch while you're at it. Perhaps an air suspension seat as well.

More always comes at a cost. All too easy to lose sight of the other, sometimes more important qualities.
Obviously you have never driven a Super Duty 250/350 with the snow plow option, so your assumptions have no merit.
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 09-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I think the OP had pretty much settled in on F150. So much of this discussion is mute [emoji850]
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
@Daquenzer--I'm going to try like hell to find an F-150 that will do the job. It seems like that will require the HD Payload option, which as of 2019 they no longer offer in the Lariat trim (which is the trim we want). So I'll either need to find a 2017/2018 somewhere (used/CPO or sitting new on a lot or...settle for a 250.

I did, however, place my order for the AS today! So I've got time to make a 150 happen--I've looked and a gas 250 is not hard to find.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I pull a 28’ no problem with my F150. Too bad about the Lariat. What trim levels do they offer the HD payload? I think the payload numbers are important but as I posted earlier there are ways to get around it by how you pack the trailer. Good luck. I really like my F150 as daily driver.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #59
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Obviously you have never driven a Super Duty 250/350 with the snow plow option, so your assumptions have no merit.
I appreciate you recognize that.

I don't have ambitions to drive a snow plow. Not when my Lexus handles my 27FB with aplomb. You perhaps have never experienced being coddled in fine leather, with velvety suspension, and Airstream in tow. That my friend, is a blissful experience. Not bouncing down the broken roadway in an overwrought work truck.

I would expect a modern F150 to equally, or perhaps even more, be up to the task.

If you full time, and have special requirements, sure. For most, more is just more, at the consequence of less elsewhere.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
I appreciate you recognize that.

I don't have ambitions to drive a snow plow. Not when my Lexus handles my 27FB with aplomb. You perhaps have never experienced being coddled in fine leather, with velvety suspension, and Airstream in tow. That my friend, is a blissful experience. Not bouncing down the broken roadway in an overwrought work truck.

I would expect a modern F150 to equally, or perhaps even more, be up to the task.

If you full time, and have special requirements, sure. For most, more is just more, at the consequence of less elsewhere.
You have even less credibility driving a Lexus instead of a true tow vehicle like a truck. Until you do drive a tow truck, please keep your responses to SUV's, not real tow trucks.
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT