Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post

Besides the crappy turning radius due to the steering on a Superduty,.
What year is your SD? When they started with the coil springs in 2003 the turning radius got a little better and I hear that the 2017s and 2018s are better yet. I drive a 2002 crew cab long bed and I need about 40 acres to turn around.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #102
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Any time I've actually *needed* 4WD, I've needed things to lock up. The times that 4WD has failed me, it's been on vehicles that don't lock things up so they can play nice on normal roads.

Turning radius on the *new* F-250's is pretty good. It's not the monster that it was a year or two ago. You would have a hard time finding a turn that the 2019 version can't make that the F-150 can make.

Bob
Yup, less than 2 feet difference 51.1 vs 53, 4X4 - CC - 6.* BOX
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Once a Super Duty gets 4 years old, or sooner in salted roads, the vacuum hoses that work the front hubs, need to be changed. After market stainless braided lines are the best. Regardless, if your front wheels aren't turning in 4WD, then you can manually turn in the hubs. Just remember to unlock them.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Hi

Any time I've actually *needed* 4WD, I've needed things to lock up. The times that 4WD has failed me, it's been on vehicles that don't lock things up so they can play nice on normal roads.

Turning radius on the *new* F-250's is pretty good. It's not the monster that it was a year or two ago. You would have a hard time finding a turn that the 2019 version can't make that the F-150 can make.

Bob
UB- I would take issue with that...the F250 with base 6.5bed is 1' longer...the turning radius is much different with that longer wheel base than with the F150 5.5bed. Heck, the F150 was fun to drive around town in comparison...just that the F250 does a much better job towing the larger than 25' AS's, IMHO...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Once a Super Duty gets 4 years old, or sooner in salted roads, the vacuum hoses that work the front hubs, need to be changed. After market stainless braided lines are the best. Regardless, if your front wheels aren't turning in 4WD, then you can manually turn in the hubs. Just remember to unlock them.
Get a newer version if your having issues.....what truck does not need maintenance after 4 years with 20Kmiles a year or more...or any car driving on salted roads, for that matter?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Ford uses a regular standard vacuum hose that they have used for years. IF YOU HAVE a problem with getting your 4WD to work, chances are your vacuum line has a leak and will not connect the hubs. If that happens, manually turn the hubs to lock, and your 4WD should work. If not, you have different issues.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
UB- I would take issue with that...the F250 with base 6.5bed is 1' longer...the turning radius is much different with that longer wheel base than with the F150 5.5bed. Heck, the F150 was fun to drive around town in comparison...just that the F250 does a much better job towing the larger than 25' AS's, IMHO...
The comparison is a good one in my case, though, since I was looking at the HDPP 150, which is only available in a 6.5' bed. So the length of the truck is the same. The wheelbase of a CC 6.5' bed 150 is 3.2" shorter than the wheelbase of a CC 6.75'bed 250.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Ordered an F-250 today

Hey folks.

Just thought I'd bring a little bit of closure to this thread by announcing that after test driving a bunch of trucks today, I placed an order for a 2019 F-250 today more-or-less loaded in Lariat trim (build below). They didn't have my exact config on the lot, but looking at the specs one very close in spec to the one I ordered suggests I'll get between 2900 and 3200lbs of payload, which is plenty. Pretty sure I'm paying less for this truck than I would for a 150 Platinum (just as a comparison--the 150 Platinum was never in the running).

No reason to rehash in this thread why I didn't go with the 150 except to say that in the end I gave up with the idea that this truck purchase would result in a truck that could do double duty as a tow vehicle and a daily driver. And once I did that the 150 made less sense.

So I'm locked in and they say it'll take 8-12 weeks but the Superduty forums at ford-trucks suggest many people are waiting longer than that. So I'll expect to pick up the truck sometime in January, which gives me plenty of time to break it in before I pick up the Globetrotter in March.

Here's the build:

F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.75' bed
  • Lariat Trim, Blue Jeans Metallic w/ Magnetic accent
    [8]Camel leather interior
  • LT275/65R20E OWL All-Terrain tires
  • 20" Machined cast aluminum wheels
  • 3.73 Electronic-locking axle
  • Fx4 package
  • Lariat Ultimate package
  • Tow Technology bundle
  • Power running boards
  • Power moonroof
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Quad Beam LED Headlamps
  • BLIS
  • Wheel well liners
  • Trailer camera with TPMS
  • Extra heavy duty Alternator
  • Medium duty battery
  • Heated rear seats

Pretty happy with this (as is my 12 year-old son, who had a blast testing trucks with me today). Should be here in Dec/Jan, just in time for me to break it in before picking up the Globetrotter in March.

A few quick questions:
  • I read the threads about 18" vs 20" wheels (either here or elsewhere--I can't remember). I went with 20, not for looks but because those threads suggested they would be better for towing. Any detractors?
  • Should I get A/T or A/S tires? I assume the A/S tires will be quieter?
  • In the end I went with the FX4 for some of the other capabilities (I've used hill descent on my Volvo and can only imagine it being more useful with a 7000 lb trailer attached).

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread--you've all been super helpful, and I'm really looking forward to hitting the road and maybe meeting some of you fine folk.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Hi

Bob
Nice try. You can minimize it all you like, but the facts don't support this.

It's much like saying an F250 doesn't tow much [a heavy load] much better than an F150. It surely does, especially in those long straight stretches of road. BTW, congrats OP on your new purchase order!

Turning radius
F150 - 20.35 to 26.5
F250 - 23.8 to 29.8

That's a not unsubstantial 15% in the best case, and an atrocious 32% in the worse. And remember, this is the turning radius. Diameter wise, it's twice this distance. Not to mention that the F150 turning radius is really not great to begin with.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
Hey folks.

Just thought I'd bring a little bit of closure to this thread by announcing that after test driving a bunch of trucks today, I placed an order for a 2019 F-250 today more-or-less loaded in Lariat trim (build below). They didn't have my exact config on the lot, but looking at the specs one very close in spec to the one I ordered suggests I'll get between 2900 and 3200lbs of payload, which is plenty. Pretty sure I'm paying less for this truck than I would for a 150 Platinum (just as a comparison--the 150 Platinum was never in the running).

No reason to rehash in this thread why I didn't go with the 150 except to say that in the end I gave up with the idea that this truck purchase would result in a truck that could do double duty as a tow vehicle and a daily driver. And once I did that the 150 made less sense.

So I'm locked in and they say it'll take 8-12 weeks but the Superduty forums at ford-trucks suggest many people are waiting longer than that. So I'll expect to pick up the truck sometime in January, which gives me plenty of time to break it in before I pick up the Globetrotter in March.

Here's the build:

F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.75' bed
  • Lariat Trim, Blue Jeans Metallic w/ Magnetic accent
    [8]Camel leather interior
  • LT275/65R20E OWL All-Terrain tires
  • 20" Machined cast aluminum wheels
  • 3.73 Electronic-locking axle
  • Fx4 package
  • Tow Technology bundle
  • Power running boards
  • Power moonroof
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Quad Beam LED Headlamps
  • BLIS
  • Wheel well liners
  • Trailer camera with TPMS
  • Extra heavy duty Alternator
  • Medium duty battery
  • Heated rear seats

Pretty happy with this (as is my 12 year-old son, who had a blast testing trucks with me today). Should be here in Dec/Jan, just in time for me to break it in before picking up the Globetrotter in March.

A few quick questions:
  • I read the threads about 18" vs 20" wheels (either here or elsewhere--I can't remember). I went with 20, not for looks but because those threads suggested they would be better for towing. Any detractors?
  • Should I get A/T or A/S tires? I assume the A/S tires will be quieter?
  • In the end I went with the FX4 for some of the other capabilities (I've used hill descent on my Volvo and can only imagine it being more useful with a 7000 lb trailer attached).

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread--you've all been super helpful, and I'm really looking forward to hitting the road and maybe meeting some of you fine folk.
Great choices! I've been playing along at home (so to speak) and this would be about what I would get if I regularly needed the payload you want to carry. Though I have a 150, which is perfect for my needs at the moment and could work as a daily driver, I also got a little Miata to drive to work during the summer at way better gas mileage, lots of fun, and avoiding putting a ton of extra miles on the truck. Our AS is also our first ever trailer and we have loved it! Good luck and enjoy the traveling!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I also think 3.73:1 is enough. The 6.2 should do fine if you're not afraid to put your foot in it... it'll need RPM to climb, but letting it rev when you need it won't hurt anything.

For a 250 I would *ONLY* consider the gas engine, if I wanted the diesel I'd get the single-wheel 350 because that big heavy lump eats a lot of the 250's payload.

Personally I don't like power running boards. I keep a vehicle 10ish years and it's one more thing to break. You live in snow&ice country, I'd imagine the power running boards are problematic in icy conditions too, but that's pure conjecture on my part.
I have had power running boards on my last two pick ups and never failed me. My 2017 F-250 Power Stroke Lariat Ultimate package 6.5 bed (a great choice btw) came with 2,300 lbs payload. I have yet to load it past 1,900 .
The power stroke with the engine brakes set at auto mode is a god send in heavy traffic. It cuts down to half the times I have to stomp on the brakes.
With the Lariat Ultimate you get more bells and whistles you ever use and save 6 g. Like they say the proof is in the pudg.......
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #112
Yossie

2008 684 International
Ramsbottom , Bury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
We ordered and took delivery of our '17 F250 6.2 gas engined Lariat Crew Cab some three months before getting our Airstream, to give us a chance to get used to driving the beast. Got the 3.73 gears, 4 wheel drive, locking diff, towing package, nifty 360° camera system, power extending mirrors, extended fixed running boards, no sun roof (increases payload and one less place to leak), tailgate step, and spray in bedliner.

Once we got the truck added Husky floor mats, mud flaps, inner fender liners, Truck Cover USA roll top tonneau cover, front trailer hitch, tailgate damper, and probably a few more goodies. I lowered the rear of the truck about 1½" by replacing the spring blocks with those off a 2016 F250. That leveled the truck and made it a bit easier to get into the back.

Our gas engined F250 has over 3000 lbs. of payload and tows our FC 28 just fine. In our part of the country diesel fuel in more expensive than gasoline, and the diesel engine option adds some $8K and 800 lbs of weight to the truck, so another reason to get the 6.2 liter gas variant.

We got the short bed version of the pickup, so the total length isn't terrible. It does take up slightly more than one parking space in length at the grocery store, so we always park in the rear of the lot. Fuel mileage isn't great: 10-12 mpg towing, 11-12 mpg in around town driving, 14-15 mpg on the highway.
But about 100 smiles per gallon in all conditions.

Have had the truck for a year now, put 17K miles on it, and are very happy with it.
Can you tell me more about the front hitch plz. Make, price, weight capacity, supplier etc.
Yossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Sebastopol , California
Sorry I haven’t looked at the entire thread, so maybe this has been covered - I would recommend AMP Research power running boards for access. They were cheaper than the dealer option (probably the same brand) when I got my ‘16 Ram 1500. Almost three years and absolutely no problems. A boon for arthritic folks like myself and wife....
I’ll follow the thread regarding your 3/4 ton purchase. The Ram Ecodiesel pulls our ‘18 FC well, but, with the trailer weight plus equipment near the max tow rating, my comfort level has been a challenge to maintain, and that’s on a couple of short trips since we purchased in July.
We are planning a trip to the southwest next month, and our route will take us over some serious mountains, so I’ll find out how I really like the Ram as a TV.
Happy Trails!
Glassman484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

patterson , Louisiana
GAS, GAS, GAS, did I mention gas and not diesel----unless you plan on 35,000 miles per year.
CCC
carmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelo View Post
GAS, GAS, GAS, did I mention gas and not diesel----unless you plan on 35,000 miles per year.
CCC
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that it's a 6.2L V8 gas engine--thanks. I don't need diesel.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #116

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
Post F150 after 120K miles pulling a 25' Flying Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
Hi. Some of you may have seen my other thread, Help spec a new F-150. This is its companion thread.

I'm a newbie seeking advice on speccing a TV for a 2019 Globetrotter FB Twin. I'm hoping these threads provide me (and future owners of similarly sized trailers) some insight on how to navigate the myriad options involved in tow truck specs, hopefully without the dogmatic opinion that seems to have plagued the similar threads.

You can view the first post in that 150 thread for some context on trailer use and payload. For this thread, I'll get straight to my questions:
  • Whereas speccing an F-150 seems to be about finagling this option and that option to arrive at a workable tow and payload capacities for the GT, the F-250 seems a lot more straightforward. Am I correct in thinking that the only major decision to make is gas or disel, and that any 250 with the max tow package is more than capable of carrying my family and gear and towing my trailer?
  • Are there any configurations I should avoid? There is part of me that thinks that if I need to get a big truck, I might as well get a Platinum and some options then call it done.
  • Assuming I don't need Max Tow with the 250, I'm not clear on which axle ratio, wheelbase, or alternator I should get. 3.73 non-limited slip axle ratio is standard.
  • I've read differing opinions on wheel size. I have 20" wheels on my Volvo SUV and I like they way they ride. I switch to 18" wheels in the winter though due to potholes. Should I take a similar approach with the 250? Should I change the standard tire spec?
  • I really don't like the height of these large trucks; I wish they could be specced to be lower to the ground. Is there anyone carrying a family in a 250? How do people manage kids getting in and out of them?

Here's the build I'm considering:

Base config for the 250:
  • 6.2 FlexFuel (I'm really hoping I don't need diesel) / 4 x 4
  • CrewCab / 6-3/4' bed
  • Tonneau cover & bike rack

In Lariat Trim:
  • Tow Technology package
  • Tailgate step
  • Power running boards
  • Misc accessories

In Platinum Trim:
  • Platinum Ultimate package

As you can see, the Platinum Trim w/ the Ultimate package pretty much takes care of everything I'd need to add on to the Lariat. Just not sure on the more technical specs (axle, alternator, wheel/tires, etc.). I'm very mechanically competent--when it comes to bicycles.

Here's where I'll qualify my interest in the 150. I don't want a large truck. I want a truck I can potentially use 100% of the time, which is the 150. A 250-size truck will be useless to me 9 months of the next year and probably 10+ months out of most years thereafter. At home a 250 will not fit in my garage (in fact will require car shuffling if it's in the driveway), will be a pain to drive around town, gets horrible gas mileage in stop-and-go traffic, and does not lend itself to urban parking or maneuvering. At the farm the 250 will rip up the trails I'm currently maintaining with my side-by-side. So though it is clearly a better truck for towing, it's a worse lifestyle truck for me. This is by no means disparaging those with 250s, just qualifying why I'm looking at both the 150 and the 250 and figuring out which set of compromises I am most comfortable with. I think a lot of the people who say "go with the bigger truck" assume the only use for the truck is for towing an AS and are not particularly concerned or considerate about the broader context in which a truck might play a role.

Seems like both trucks will roughly be the same price, though I suspect I'm more likely to find the 250 Platinum on a lot or even used and get a better deal on it than I am the 150 with all the specific options I'll need to make it work. I have the luxury of time here, though, since my trailer won't be picked up until after winter.

Anyway, hoping to get some advise on speccing a 250 here. In a similar spirit, let's not make this a "get a 350" or "get a 150" thread--let's make it helpful for anyone considering a 250. I'm hoping it's a lot more straightforward than the 150 given that the base truck more than covers the numerical aspects of my setup.
[F150 after 120K]
I have found that my F150 with Ecoboost handles the continental divide as long as I don't get too aggressive going uphill and balance the brakes and lower gears going down. After 120K miles pulling a 25' Flying Cloud and enough gear for 4 weeks at a time for 2 people an F150 Lariat, Tow Mode, and Anti sway package it is a sold choice.
I am looking at another truck over the next couple years but am happy with the current truck. One thing to keep in mind with the ford, or any other truck, plan on replacing your coils and plugs every couple years. Normally, for me, if one coils goes bad, I replace a six.
Finally, when pulling the trailer from Texas to Canada, I maintain a speed of 60 mph. Simply put, I average about 14mpg going up to canada and about 15 mpg comping back.

Good luck
davrober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
F150 or F250

Oh, my! Almost 10 pages? I couldn't let this one slide (and didn't read the other 8 pages yet), but I had to weigh in.
I feel ya - the 250 can be way too much, in so any ways.
After having owned both, I suggest get the F150 spec'd for as much weight as it can carry, and there you may find a DD that's OK for TV.
The 250 will seem effortless as a TV but like you said, difficult in the real world.
The F150 so much more handy but can it pull the weight without given you an MI?
TRY THIS: if you don't have practical experience with these vehicles, save your $$ and find a used F150 with a similar weight rating - if it turns out not enough then you can get out of it and minimize your losses (drive off depreciation being a big one).
Considering the costs associated with maintaining a "fleet", I'm with ya on the "100%" vehicle. That said, I'm looking for the best ultralight trailer I can find (within certain parameters). Putting the cart after the horse (as it were).
(I dumped the 30' Land Yacht - lovely to live in, but a bear to move around in anything smaller than a F250)
Or, if you can talk your dealer into letting you trade up at a guaranteed buyback, should you desire (not likely, but what the hell, give it a shot).
Such a gamble to sign on the bottom line for huge amounts and not know for sure that your investment will pay off (you'd do better in commodities. Or Vegas...)
Bon Chance
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #118
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Lake Jackson , Texas
I traded my 2014 F-150 King Ranch Eco-boost in for a 2015 F-250 Diesel Lariat. The F-250 was in the shop about 6 times with different issues. On a trip to Indiana last June I got 3 more check engine lights on (40,000 miles and still in warranty). I traded it in for a 2018 F-150 King Ranch. Was not a happy camper. Gasoline is cheaper, oil changes are cheaper, quieter, smoother, and does just fine.
Taroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #119
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Salisbury , Maryland
In brief; and after 3-F250 Diesels, I am happy to have moved to an F250 6.2gas/Platinum; it pulls my 11k/lb trailer same as the diesels & no more diesel emission issues.
The height can offer some new challenges. I suggest checking for a nicely equiped F250 with 17” or 18” wheels, or get the dealer to switch wheels for you . If it suits, a 2WD model may be lower. My truck came with the FX4 off-road package, not a good ride; hoping I can simply change the shocks. Hope this helps, you are are on the right track in comparing the F150/250 options.
Streemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Help spec a new F-250

I have had 3 new F350 6.7 diesel’s all Supercrew’s with 8ft box 2012,2015 and 2017.None of them have ever had any problems.Oil changes are $89 at my Ford dealer.Never been a diesel guy but nothing tows or 28ft International like this.Sorry To disagree but there is not a gasoline equivalent.

Tried the F150 and it was not up to the task. I have had 20’ wheels on all three and they work great.
Ride is smooth and whisper quiet.Never had any problems maneuvering and I have towed 65,000 miles in all climates from Canada to Key West to the Rocky Mountains and beyond. I have performed many emergency maneuvers and every time the vehicle was very stable and stopped properly.
To each his own, but for me it does not get any better than this for a tow vehicle.

I think some people on this forum could benefit from some driving instruction courses.Most racetracks offer classes.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote