Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #241
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I will tell you my experience with Ford tailgate step on my older F150 and now with my F250 has been very positive. I constantly use this feature to load/unload the bed. When loading my kayaks I can even climb into the rear of the bed with the kayak on my shoulder, with the help of the built in folding handle assembly. Very useful feature if you get a Ford. I just saw the new GM integrated folding step which looks interesting also. At my age and capability, (or incapability), the step is a must have for loading or getting into the bed!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #242
2 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , California
F250 Specs

Hey OP, great thread. Curious to see how you're enjoying your new ride so far. Liked seeing the payload number for the F250 Crew 6.2 4x4; I've added it to my notes.

Almost all the F250 trucks at the dealer lots either have the XLT Crew 6.7 4x4 6.75' box or XL Scab 6.2 4x2 8' box aka "white work truck". See payload sticker photos below - now I have a number for the in-between configuration as well.

We are going to order a 2019 F250 XL Scab 6.2 4x2 with the 8' bed to tow our 25' FC FBT. I'll get the STX appearance package, along with trailer tech. I'm planning on putting a Snugtop shell on top so we can safely store/lock a gen, kayak, supplies, gear, etc inside.

Like you, I've gone back & forth in considering the F150 XLT HDPP, but decided on the F250 for a couple of reasons. One, the F250 along with the 8' bed should provide a better towing ride. We currently have a 22' class C, and its ride is very dependent on its long WB + proper weighting, tire pressure and air springs I installed years ago.

Two, one neighbor is a contractor with a F350 XLT crew 6.2 gas 4x2 8' bed that has a payload of 4.1k lbs. My other has a F350 XLT crew P-stroke 6.7 4x4 6.75' bed he uses to tow a 35' 5W. Both said go bigger, which confirmed by own experience driving the 1 ton dually class C.

Third, this will be a 3rd vehicle. We always have some kind of utility vehicle besides our regular drivers. The c-class and Jeep get parked in the garage, while the work vehicle gets parked on the street. It will be nice to have something useful enough to double as a TV instead of having a dedicated class C aging out where we keep it stored.

Fleet guy quoted $37.7k - I'm looking to go low because this baby is going right to the street.

I've also posted a photo of my handwritten notes summarizing the various F series payload options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xlt250 4x4 6.7 160.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	334460   Click image for larger version

Name:	xl250 4x2 6.2 164.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	334461  

Name:	20190225_080013.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	334462  
Snerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:05 AM   #243
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snerf View Post
Hey OP, great thread. Curious to see how you're enjoying your new ride so far. Liked seeing the payload number for the F250 Crew 6.2 4x4; I've added it to my notes.

Almost all the F250 trucks at the dealer lots either have the XLT Crew 6.7 4x4 6.75' box or XL Scab 6.2 4x2 8' box aka "white work truck". See payload sticker photos below - now I have a number for the in-between configuration as well.

We are going to order a 2019 F250 XL Scab 6.2 4x2 with the 8' bed to tow our 25' FC FBT. I'll get the STX appearance package, along with trailer tech. I'm planning on putting a Snugtop shell on top so we can safely store/lock a gen, kayak, supplies, gear, etc inside.

Like you, I've gone back & forth in considering the F150 XLT HDPP, but decided on the F250 for a couple of reasons. One, the F250 along with the 8' bed should provide a better towing ride. We currently have a 22' class C, and its ride is very dependent on its long WB + proper weighting, tire pressure and air springs I installed years ago.

Two, one neighbor is a contractor with a F350 XLT crew 6.2 gas 4x2 8' bed that has a payload of 4.1k lbs. My other has a F350 XLT crew P-stroke 6.7 4x4 6.75' bed he uses to tow a 35' 5W. Both said go bigger, which confirmed by own experience driving the 1 ton dually class C.

Third, this will be a 3rd vehicle. We always have some kind of utility vehicle besides our regular drivers. The c-class and Jeep get parked in the garage, while the work vehicle gets parked on the street. It will be nice to have something useful enough to double as a TV instead of having a dedicated class C aging out where we keep it stored.

Fleet guy quoted $37.7k - I'm looking to go low because this baby is going right to the street.

I've also posted a photo of my handwritten notes summarizing the various F series payload options.
If you want the 8' bed to have an 8' bed go for it. But having towed both a 25 and 30 with an f150 and now f250 6.2 I can say for sure the regular bed f250 is more than adequate. I'm quite pleased with mine.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #244
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:

Snerf,

Glad the thread is useful to you—it worked out really well for me (and a few others).

As for how I like the truck so far—I haven’t driven it that much, since it lives at our farm and this winter in the Midwest has not been “let’s go out to the farm” weather. But it has about 800 miles on it now. I guess the best way to put it is that I resent it when I look at it (I’m not one of those people who loves big trucks, in fact I kind of hate them), but wow, I really like driving it on the highway! That last bit surprised me but it really is a very comfortable highway driver. It will work out really well for its intended purpose—extended vacations. I’ve figured out how I’m going to place the bikes and cargo in the bed and I’m super excited to actually hit the road with it, Airstream in tow.

The Airstream has been sitting at the dealer all winter (I went and saw it and finalized everything in December) and I’m getting ready to pick up the Airstream in a few weeks. I’m currently familiarizing myself with some of the truck’s electrical system through hardwiring a dashcam and the Airstream’s remote camera monitor to the truck’s upfitter switches. Might do a set of small lightbars in the Lariat grill while I’m at it.

I found what you found—in the 250, dealers tend to stock the diesel crewcabs or the white longbeds, and all of them have snowplow packages. If you have the time, ordering exactly what you want is the way to go. Since you’re going with a bed topper, the only advice I’d have is to decide whether you want the bedliner or the bedrug and get one or the other (both are unnecessary)—it’ll save you some money. I hadn’t figured out whether I was going to get the topper or a Retrax tonneau, so I ordered the liner, which is great, but when I got the bedrug I realized it would have been nicer to just have the bedrug all the way up the sides. No big deal, I just got the floor rug and I have to say that it’s pretty great.

The other thing I’ll add is that it turns out a friend of mine has a 150 and tows a non-Airstream trailer that is just under the GVWR as the 27GB Globetrotter I purchased. He loves the truck but hates towing his trailer with it. He says it pulls just fine on flats and has plenty of power but he doesn’t feel like he and his family are safe in it—he’s fighting his trailer. He wishes he had gotten the bigger truck and is pretty jealous of mine. I had already made my purchase so I can’t say if this would have swayed my decision one way or the other, but there’s another (subjective) data point.

Also, that’s an awesome price you’re getting for a lot of truck. If the 4x2 will work for you, that’s definitely the way to go—it’ll save 3” or so off the height and that’s really the most objectionable dimension of the truck to me. I’m glad I went 4x4–it’s already come in handy many times this winter!
Old 02-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #245
2 Rivet Member

F250 Specs

Scott, the reason I would pick the 8' box for the XL Supercab is for both function and form. The longer WB will by its very nature tow better; albeit with reduced non-tow driveability. The rationale behind form is a bit convoluted, so let me start at the beginning.

Originally, I was thinking in terms of picking up a low mileage 2017+ coming off a 3 year lease. When you search a site like Autotrader for an F250 in LA, these are the type of results you will get - almost every single F250 listed is a XLT crew 4x4 6.7 Powerstroke 6.75' box (160" wb):

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

Now, this makes sense from a inventory perspective today. Go to any Ford dealer, and practically all the F250 super duty trucks on the lot follow this exact same configuration. But what about all of the "white work trucks" you see on the road? Well, they're parked in the way back lot, essentially suitable only for commercial buyers from the dealer's perspective. Next, if you go to the Ford on-line configuration program and search for available WWTs, guess what the overwhelming configuration looks like? Yep, XL supercab 4x2 6.2 gas 8' box (164" wb):

https://shop.ford.com/inventory/supe...ioverlay=false

Now, I'm not opposed to getting a crew and 6.75' box, it's just that it would be an odd duck for construction types looking for a XL F250 WWT on the re-sale market. (How many people know that std work beds are designed to fit 8x4 sheets of plywood, drywall, etc?) Oh, and I only stumbled upon the STX package after looking at all the inventory listings. If you look at the thumbnails or click through to the details, most only have an XL value package. But, look carefully for one or two that have 18" alum wheels and do the same thing. You will see this odd 'STX package' listed. Curious, I came across this blurb about the semi-secret: https://www.grangermotors.com/blogs/...d-stx-package/

This is why the price comes in so low compared to the nicely equipped FX4 packages in XLT or Lariat trim. Add STX to the filter, and see what you get:
https://shop.ford.com/inventory/supe...bnpSingAB=null

As far as gas vs diesel and 4x2 vs 4x4, a lot of my decision was based on going for max load capacity. With our current class C (and really, any MH), there's this constant pressure of trying to keep the rig under GVWR. It's amazing how fast you can blow over the rating, so I'm looking for lots of cushion this time around.

The payload capacity of the truck I'm considering is 3,750 lbs - well in excess of any AS tongue weight or stuff I might place in the bed. However, the same rating for the FX4 package is 2,175 lbs - this is a function of the diesel at 700 lbs and the 4X4 suspension at 875 lbs. Secondly, I have the new JL Wrangler Rubicon, so I'm very familiar with all the 4x4 bells & whistles. My intent for this TV is to be a highway tow monster, which means simple rear wheel drive. I'll save back woods exploration for the Jeep and backpacking.

Besides, my city girl wife will really appreciate it - wanna guess who really likes the idea of a plush AS TT?

---

Nryn, my wife is in Chicago today for a quick turn around meeting out by O'hare. She said it was 17 degrees this morning, but I don't think she needs to go outside for any reason. Still, LA has had the coldest Fed on record going back to the 1880s. It's been dropping into the upper 30s at night, which is freezing ass cold around these parts. In fact, it lightly snowed in downtown LA a few days ago - the first time that's happened since 1962. She gets back home tomorrow, but it should be raining and in the 50s, so no bowl of cherries here either.

We saw a 27' GT FBT this weekend at the OC AS dealer. Really beautifully done - we're focused on the 25' FC, but I think we might use the GT for some styling cues as we play around with the interior and other enhancements. By the time spring comes around, you're gonna want to road trip that sucker out to the Rockies. Heeyah!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #246
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Scott, the reason I would pick the 8' box for the XL Supercab is for both function and form. The longer WB will by its very nature tow better; albeit with reduced non-tow driveability. The rationale behind form is a bit convoluted, so let me start at the beginning.

Originally, I was thinking in terms of picking up a low mileage 2017+ coming off a 3 year lease. When you search a site like Autotrader for an F250 in LA, these are the type of results you will get - almost every single F250 listed is a XLT crew 4x4 6.7 Powerstroke 6.75' box (160" wb):

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

Now, this makes sense from a inventory perspective today. Go to any Ford dealer, and practically all the F250 super duty trucks on the lot follow this exact same configuration. But what about all of the "white work trucks" you see on the road? Well, they're parked in the way back lot, essentially suitable only for commercial buyers from the dealer's perspective. Next, if you go to the Ford on-line configuration program and search for available WWTs, guess what the overwhelming configuration looks like? Yep, XL supercab 4x2 6.2 gas 8' box (164" wb):

https://shop.ford.com/inventory/supe...ioverlay=false

Now, I'm not opposed to getting a crew and 6.75' box, it's just that it would be an odd duck for construction types looking for a XL F250 WWT on the re-sale market. (How many people know that std work beds are designed to fit 8x4 sheets of plywood, drywall, etc?) Oh, and I only stumbled upon the STX package after looking at all the inventory listings. If you look at the thumbnails or click through to the details, most only have an XL value package. But, look carefully for one or two that have 18" alum wheels and do the same thing. You will see this odd 'STX package' listed. Curious, I came across this blurb about the semi-secret: https://www.grangermotors.com/blogs/...d-stx-package/

This is why the price comes in so low compared to the nicely equipped FX4 packages in XLT or Lariat trim. Add STX to the filter, and see what you get:
https://shop.ford.com/inventory/supe...bnpSingAB=null

As far as gas vs diesel and 4x2 vs 4x4, a lot of my decision was based on going for max load capacity. With our current class C (and really, any MH), there's this constant pressure of trying to keep the rig under GVWR. It's amazing how fast you can blow over the rating, so I'm looking for lots of cushion this time around.

The payload capacity of the truck I'm considering is 3,750 lbs - well in excess of any AS tongue weight or stuff I might place in the bed. However, the same rating for the FX4 package is 2,175 lbs - this is a function of the diesel at 700 lbs and the 4X4 suspension at 875 lbs. Secondly, I have the new JL Wrangler Rubicon, so I'm very familiar with all the 4x4 bells & whistles. My intent for this TV is to be a highway tow monster, which means simple rear wheel drive. I'll save back woods exploration for the Jeep and backpacking.

Besides, my city girl wife will really appreciate it - wanna guess who really likes the idea of a plush AS TT?

---

Nryn, my wife is in Chicago today for a quick turn around meeting out by O'hare. She said it was 17 degrees this morning, but I don't think she needs to go outside for any reason. Still, LA has had the coldest Fed on record going back to the 1880s. It's been dropping into the upper 30s at night, which is freezing ass cold around these parts. In fact, it lightly snowed in downtown LA a few days ago - the first time that's happened since 1962. She gets back home tomorrow, but it should be raining and in the 50s, so no bowl of cherries here either.

We saw a 27' GT FBT this weekend at the OC AS dealer. Really beautifully done - we're focused on the 25' FC, but I think we might use the GT for some styling cues as we play around with the interior and other enhancements. By the time spring comes around, you're gonna want to road trip that sucker out to the Rockies. Heeyah!
Sounds like you've done your research. I have an xlt but really could have gone with the stx on an xl if i found one. Definitely a nice truck.

And I didn't realize you were looking at the super crew. I though full crew cab which makes for a very long truck - yes better towing but at other expense. In my opinion the regular wheelbase is more than adequate for any airstream. Which I believe is what you'll have.

One thing that would be a concern for me is 2wd. I've been in situations such as uphill wet grass where 4x4 was really needed. Indeed I was at a very popular state park and my very nice site was downhill heading in. With the rain we had it turned muddy and I would have not gotten out on my departure day without 4wd. I would personally would be hesitant to buy any tow vehicle that wasn't 4x4.

And I agree 100% with the diesel 250 issue. Not even sure why they sell them. Just go straight to the 350 if you are buying deisel.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #247
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I though full crew cab which makes for a very long truck - yes better towing but at other expense.
One thing that would be a concern for me is 2wd.
Just go straight to the 350 if you are buying deisel.
The actual stickered payload number for the F350 crew 8' box is from my neighbor's work truck. He's a tile & stone contractor - worked up the ranks so now just does client interface while riding herd over his crew. The thing is an absolute monster - he's got a high cap on it, and every now and then he does supplemental deliveries to his job sites. The fact that that sucker can take over 2 tons is a real testament to its intent and purpose. I don't even think you can get it from a regular retail Ford dealer. I think he had to go to Rush truck center. https://www.rushtruckcenters.com/

So, yeah, no way was I going to get a crew + LB. As you noted, super cab + LB is very close to crew + SB. It seems these two versions - Scab 4x2 gas, crew 4x4 Pstroke - represent around 90% of F250 sales - at least in SoCal.

As you well know, alas only rainbows and unicorns exist in a perfect world - LOL. So, while a 2wd is going to provide - IMO - a better and more reliable highway ride - you give up the ability to get out of weird campground situations with the 4x4. Gotta go gut here and take my chances. I don't have a problem making a call - what I don't like is not knowing the alternatives. In this case, I'll own my decision knowing the potential risk(s).

Yep, the F350 Pstroke is killer. I have another person down the road 1/4 mile that has a 2005 or so dually. He used to have a camper shell on it, but took it off a few years ago. I think he uses it now and then, but mostly it sits every time I drive by. Part of me is tempted to pitch a deal - I could probably get it for under $10k, maybe even around $5k, if he just wants cash and off his driveway.

However, no way would my wife ever drive it, and I don't want to think about using it even as a 3rd vehicle. In addition, it would look fairly ridiculous towing a 25' FC when it can actually be used as a 20,000+ lb local 5W utility TV (eg car carrier, etc.)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
before getting that 8' bed, I would take a long drive in both the 6.5 and the 8' bed...the 6.5, as others noted, is adequate for most everyone unless your looking at a work truck scenario outside towing...my F250 6.7L is a great choice/size "if" you need/want the 3/4T or larger....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #249
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
The actual stickered payload number for the F350 crew 8' box is from my neighbor's work truck. He's a tile & stone contractor - worked up the ranks so now just does client interface while riding herd over his crew. The thing is an absolute monster - he's got a high cap on it, and every now and then he does supplemental deliveries to his job sites. The fact that that sucker can take over 2 tons is a real testament to its intent and purpose. I don't even think you can get it from a regular retail Ford dealer. I think he had to go to Rush truck center. https://www.rushtruckcenters.com/

So, yeah, no way was I going to get a crew + LB. As you noted, super cab + LB is very close to crew + SB. It seems these two versions - Scab 4x2 gas, crew 4x4 Pstroke - represent around 90% of F250 sales - at least in SoCal.

As you well know, alas only rainbows and unicorns exist in a perfect world - LOL. So, while a 2wd is going to provide - IMO - a better and more reliable highway ride - you give up the ability to get out of weird campground situations with the 4x4. Gotta go gut here and take my chances. I don't have a problem making a call - what I don't like is not knowing the alternatives. In this case, I'll own my decision knowing the potential risk(s).

Yep, the F350 Pstroke is killer. I have another person down the road 1/4 mile that has a 2005 or so dually. He used to have a camper shell on it, but took it off a few years ago. I think he uses it now and then, but mostly it sits every time I drive by. Part of me is tempted to pitch a deal - I could probably get it for under $10k, maybe even around $5k, if he just wants cash and off his driveway.

However, no way would my wife ever drive it, and I don't want to think about using it even as a 3rd vehicle. In addition, it would look fairly ridiculous towing a 25' FC when it can actually be used as a 20,000+ lb local 5W utility TV (eg car carrier, etc.)
Huh?
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #250
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Thumbs up Wrap-up

After months of waiting, I can finally add a conclusion of sorts to this thread—some real-world experience with the truck towing my 2019 Globetrotter 27FBT.

Here’s the executive summary: it’s awesome.

Name:	rig_Elkmont.png
Views:	62
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	337269
just arriving at our campsite at our final destination--Elkmont Campground in Great Smokey Mountains National Park

The specifics of the truck are well-detailed in this thread; on the trailer side I have a ProPride 3P hitch with 1400# bars. I’m also using the Ford TPMS system (I had the dealer install the stems but I installed the sensor on the trailer and 12-pin port on the truck—piece of cake) so that tire pressure is monitored on the truck dash. My first drive with the truck, other than during orientation at my dealer in Michigan, was the drive home from the dealer, which was not uneventful—I hit a huge patch of ice and skidded past a jackknifed truck, drove through Chicago traffic and on city roads, and of course my first back-in site was my 130’ driveway. But I got home intact and spent the next week making the trailer ours.

A week later, though, I left on my shakedown trip—a 10-day, 1500-mile trip to the Great Smokey Mountains. I’ll save the details about that trip for a different thread or my blog and keep this post focused on the rig. I went with a friend and didn’t bring everything I’ll be bringing with my family on our extended trip this summer, but I did bring a bunch of extra stuff for two people who would be setting up the trailer “on the road” and almost always towed with a full tank’s worth of water (when possible, fresh, but sometimes distributed between gray and black if the park we were staying at didn’t have a dump station). The one checklist item I didn’t get to on this trip was weighing the rig, so I’ll need to find time to do that in the next month or so.

First—I absolutely love driving the truck on the highway. It’s great sitting that high up and helps immensely in terms of seeing and reacting to possible traffic situations or road hazards. I still maintain that it’s stupid the truck is as tall as it is, but being that high up does have advantages, and now that I’m back it feels like I’m driving a go-cart in my SUV. I was expecting to experience some minor trailer sway just so that I could know when to anticipate it. Nope. I still don’t know what it is, despite actively looking for (plenty of semis and crosswinds on Indiana and Kentucky highways).

Name:	rig_restarea.png
Views:	64
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	337273
Thankful for truck parking at rest areas.

The truck’s towing features are great. It keeps track of mileage for towing, provides “wide angle” views (great for obstacles) and has a screen that tells you which way your ways are turning and by how much (which is great for knowing where you are on the wheel when you have to stop in the middle of a site maneuver). I also wired in a voice-controlled dashcam and 12V power to the Voyager monitor via the upfitter switches. I ran most of the time in tow/haul mode. It’s very clear when you start from a full stop that the truck is not in tow/haul mode—the gearing when towing is so much better both uphill and downhill. Tow/haul on the 250 also has a pseudo-manual mode, which allows you to easily override the truck-selected gear then return to automatic when you don’t need to. I used this often in the mountains. The reverse camera features—which include zoom, are great for hitching up with the ProPride. There is also a reverse guidance feature on the truck that requires stickers to be placed on the A-frame at a certain distance, but I’m not sure that will work with an Airstream, ProPride or not. But in a way that’s good—I was able to learn how to back into sites without such guidance and did quite well at it. The extendable mirrors are fantastic, as is the trailer-aware blind spot detection.

The truck does rev a bit on steep inclines, but it’s not objectionable or noisy (all of the Toyota SUVs and trucks I’ve driven in are noisier and rev higher even when not towing). It doesn’t feel like the truck is laboring—I had no issues keeping speed at the grades I was driving or getting acceleration when I needed it.

On Indiana roads and a highway in the Chicago area, the truck and trailer were quite bouncy. I know the Chicago area highway well, and it’s not great—driving the truck without the trailer is a pretty bouncy ride. I thought the trailer would settle it a bit but it didn’t. Based on some information in recent posts here, I brought the ProPride towers down a bit and that did help. On all other roads the ride was great.

I’m not entirely sure I have the ProPride adjustable stinger set right—I dropped it a hole since picking it up from the dealer which makes hitching a little easier, but the nose of the trailer is (predictably) low, as depicted in one of the images below. But I drove like this pretty much the whole way (playing from time to time with WD settings) and this is how the truck rode best. Still, I think now that I have some hitching and towing experience under my belt, I think I’ll raise the stinger up a hole or two to try and get the trailer level and see if that makes things even better. As it is depicted, I was running with the towers raised about 5.75”, which was far preferable to higher settings. I do want to get a little more clearance at the hitch—I did scrape the chains against the bottom of the bars coming out of a parking lot I probably shouldn’t have entered to begin with.

Name:	rig_knoxville.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	337270
the rig (nose down) on an industrial street in Knoxville (where I left it for a bit to go get some fried chicken at Chandlers Deli)

This is my first RV and the first truck I’ve owned. I’ve towed cargo trailers with cars and SUVs but never an RV and though I’ve driven a few pickups over the years, I’ve never towed anything with a truck of any size. I’ve never owned a diesel anything. So I don’t have any experience as to what I’m missing or where I’m better off. On my way out of the park, I did see a newer 150 trying real hard to get up the mountain with an Airstream that I think was a 25’, but I have no idea what they were carrying or what was going on there, only that they were going about 30mph.

Trip stats: 1537.3mi, 8.9mpg

All I can say is that it would be great if everyone’s first RV-towing experience was as good as mine was. All the due diligence I did and the input I got on this thread produced a result that exceeds all expectations. Thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tripOdo.png
Views:	54
Size:	970.5 KB
ID:	337274  
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #251
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Sweet! Those are two nice rigs!

I am not an expert but aside from the trailer nose being down I think the front of the truck looks lifted too much. But, if it rides well I would guess you are not over any weight limits on axles or anything.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #252
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Sweet! Those are two nice rigs!

I am not an expert but aside from the trailer nose being down I think the front of the truck looks lifted too much. But, if it rides well I would guess you are not over any weight limits on axles or anything.

I agree that things don’t look right. I think the back of the trailer away from the phone was sitting on an incline but even when flat trailer is nose down and truck is nose up a tad. But no issues steering or maneuvering at all. I’ve sent mail and pics to Sean and between him and some experimentation I’ll get it sorted out.

I’ll also get it weighed, but only when I have the family along for the trailer’s next test run. But no way were we anywhere close to limits on this trip...other than us two meatbags, the truck only had 2 folding bikes and some odds and ends (all of which on luggage scales weighed in total less than 220 lbs) and half of the trailer closets were empty.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #253
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I recommend a separate trip with the family to the scales with the trailer loaded for a trip with full propane and water tanks. Don’t forget to fill the gas tank too. Based on your photo and situation description, you are a long way from proper configuration. It will take several trips thru the scale to get it set up correctly. Last thing you want to do is rush it because you’re in a hurry to get on the road towards your destination.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #254
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
I recommend a separate trip with the family to the scales with the trailer loaded for a trip with full propane and water tanks. Don’t forget to fill the gas tank too. Based on your photo and situation description, you are a long way from proper configuration. It will take several trips thru the scale to get it set up correctly. Last thing you want to do is rush it because you’re in a hurry to get on the road towards your destination.

Agreed. My friend and I had a no-rush rule on this first shakedown trip and it saved us on several occasions. Learned a lot. Not sure why we missed the weigh-in to-do item on my list of things I needed to experience, but it’s at the top of the next trip’s list. Maybe I’ll take care
of it this weekend before taking the trailer to the dealer to get some post-shakedown fixes and enhancements taken care of next week.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #255
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
A quick real-world example of how payload adds up quickly (and why I'm thrilled I went with the 250 rather than the 150, even though I wanted the latter).

As you may recall, I weighed the truck shortly after receiving it. This was before having the cap installed or installing any accessories. Full tank of gas, empty bed and me as the sole passenger. Here are the results of that weigh:

Name:	NewTruck.png
Views:	84
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	338090

This weekend I brought the truck out to the farm, where it will stay until our next trip. The truck now has a bed cap, tools and miscellany under the back row and various accessories I've installed. This weigh included my family (wife, two kids ages 13 and 8), four folding bikes, all of the camping stuff that will come with us on our trip, (a few cargo boxes, generator, folding table, tools) and two medium-sized dogs (who together weigh about 70 lbs and won't be coming with us, but I'm sure we'll occasionally carry their weight in groceries/firewood/whatever). I also had some unrelated stuff I had to transport to the farm and that weighed almost 100lbs (I put it on a mailing scale before loading it). This weigh was also right after filling up gas (it was night, the scale was empty and with the app, weighs take about 60 seconds).

Name:	TruckWithCapFamilyCargo.png
Views:	72
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	338091

So that means 4 people (two of them pretty small), bikes, a (very) modest amount of camping and activity stuff, some truck stuffs and and some extra stuff weighs 1,300 lbs. That is in and of itself near or over the payload of some of the fancier (i.e. options/trim-level) 150-class machines--and that is before adding the trailer.

I've got over 1500 lbs of wiggle room left for the trailer, and I've been liberally estimating its loaded tongue weight to be 1200 lbs. So even with some weight I won't be bringing with us, I'm within limits. But do remember other than the bikes, I pack pretty light and my kids are still small.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on a 250-class truck nor tell people they can't travel safely with a 150-class truck (so please neither get defensive nor start pounding your chest). I'm merely trying to provide a real world example of how number of travelers and payload add up and add up quickly.

A lot of people (not all, of course) on this forum don't seem to factor the weight of a family and their associated belongings into their "I can do it, so can you" statements regarding tow vehicles. So for those of you watching this thread, make sure you're not just looking at towing capacity and in addition to trailer tongue weight and campsite gear, please factor in the number of people and the stuff they're bringing with them into your payload numbers.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
A quick real-world example of how payload adds up quickly (and why I'm thrilled I went with the 250 rather than the 150, even though I wanted the latter).

As you may recall, I weighed the truck shortly after receiving it. This was before having the cap installed or installing any accessories. Full tank of gas, empty bed and me as the sole passenger. Here are the results of that weigh:

Attachment 338090

This weekend I brought the truck out to the farm, where it will stay until our next trip. The truck now has a bed cap, tools and miscellany under the back row and various accessories I've installed. This weigh included my family (wife, two kids ages 13 and 8), four folding bikes, all of the camping stuff that will come with us on our trip, (a few cargo boxes, generator, folding table, tools) and two medium-sized dogs (who together weigh about 70 lbs and won't be coming with us, but I'm sure we'll occasionally carry their weight in groceries/firewood/whatever). I also had some unrelated stuff I had to transport to the farm and that weighed almost 100lbs (I put it on a mailing scale before loading it). This weigh was also right after filling up gas (it was night, the scale was empty and with the app, weighs take about 60 seconds).

Attachment 338091

So that means 4 people (two of them pretty small), bikes, a (very) modest amount of camping and activity stuff, some truck stuffs and and some extra stuff weighs 1,300 lbs. That is in and of itself near or over the payload of some of the fancier (i.e. options/trim-level) 150-class machines--and that is before adding the trailer.

I've got over 1500 lbs of wiggle room left for the trailer, and I've been liberally estimating its loaded tongue weight to be 1200 lbs. So even with some weight I won't be bringing with us, I'm within limits. But do remember other than the bikes, I pack pretty light and my kids are still small.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on a 250-class truck nor tell people they can't travel safely with a 150-class truck (so please neither get defensive nor start pounding your chest). I'm merely trying to provide a real world example of how number of travelers and payload add up and add up quickly.

A lot of people (not all, of course) on this forum don't seem to factor the weight of a family and their associated belongings into their "I can do it, so can you" statements regarding tow vehicles. So for those of you watching this thread, make sure you're not just looking at towing capacity and in addition to trailer tongue weight and campsite gear, please factor in the number of people and the stuff they're bringing with them into your payload numbers.
That's great! Room for a generator, second bbq grill or smoker, and perhaps the kayaks? By the way, I did take 2 grills (charcoal and propane) with me this past weekend camping and a lot of firewood...for us also, the 250 gives us the "cushion" needed for those extras...
Old 04-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #257
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
That's great! Room for a generator, second bbq grill or smoker, and perhaps the kayaks? By the way, I did take 2 grills (charcoal and propane) with me this past weekend camping and a lot of firewood...for us also, the 250 gives us the "cushion" needed for those extras...

Haha! More stuff!

Actually the second weigh already includes my generator (Genconnex eu2200i). We may end up with kayaks along the way, but I doubt it. We’ll see how often the kids want to rent them. I suspect they’d rather swim and play than “go” (we’ll be biking and hiking a lot).

I thought for a bit about bringing a smoker or a kamado grill to accompany the Weber Q. But almost half of the places (national parks) we are staying on this summer’s trip have fire bans. And the less I need to wrangle the better (I’ll be solo parenting about 60% of the time—wife’s gotta work).

I did get an aluminum pet ramp that my kids can use to load the truck (our cargo containers and are wheeled). So I’ll put them to work, believe me . Probably not so much with a smoker or kayaks though.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #258
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
And you'll want to bring all that stuff along to "cushion" the ride.

That's the thing about having too much excess payload.

The trade is that your back might have to act as the cushion otherwise with an unladen truck.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #259
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
And you'll want to bring all that stuff along to "cushion" the ride.

That's the thing about having too much excess payload.

The trade is that your back might have to act as the cushion otherwise with an unladen truck.

True, the truck is bouncy when it’s unloaded. Adding the cap helped a little but not much (I think the cap is only 200lbs). The bouncing is not egregious (it’s one of the main reasons I went with the 250 over the 350) but it’s there for sure, especially at some speeds on certain highways in the area. Doesn’t beat me up nearly as much as a German sports suspension does though. I’m very glad I didn’t go with the camper or snowplow packages (passing on those may have been your suggestion, pteck?)

Loaded with the cargo mentioned above, even without the trailer, the truck is pretty smooth. We even had to drive it over farm roads that were washed out in a recent storm and dare I say—it handled them gracefully.

With the trailer I suspect I’ll be a little under 400lbs full payload (which I understand is artificially capped at 10k but I’ll use the 10k number) and nowhere near either axle ratings. Based on the towing experience earlier this month and the full-family-full-load experience this weekend—I couldn’t be more thrilled.

The trailer already had its shakedown trip, but I’ll hit the scales in mid May when I shakedown the family .
Old 04-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #260
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Yes, I did comment on the add on packages.

It's all for the sake of bringing some balance back into the dialogue that's common here - where more is more and more is always better.

As many of us know, more is just more. And more is not always better. Because there is always a cost. Either literal, or it tips the balance towards some quality at the detriment of another quality.

Payload capacity is one of those things. Boiled down, it's very much about spring rate. Sure there's other considerations, but it's more about that single parameter than many others.

It's no wonder, from sedans, to vans, to 1/2 ton trucks - they all generally have payload in the 900-1300lb range. As passenger cars first, ride quality is paramount.

Once a vehicle becomes more about performing laden work, ride quality is then a secondary factor as higher spring rates have to be there to support the load. Sure, there's been improvements and progressive springs. But it only can go so far as there's limited suspension stroke to work with. Too much progression, leaves too little spring travel for laden work.

One can have it all, payload and ride quality, by choosing the just right vehicle for the intended use. If that's the F250 - more power to you. They've come a long way and can be comfortable and capable.

I would just temper those that are then staring at the F350 on the account of "more".
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote