Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #161
Rivet Master
 
nryn's Avatar

 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 739
Congrats!

I was surprised at how affordable the XT and XLT trim levels are. No wonder you see so many of them on the road (doing real work).
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 AM   #162
1 Rivet Member
 
1998 34' Limited
Salisbury , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Thought I was alone with the preference to remove the FX4 decal. Had the dealer remove it the day of p/u; as I watched; it was swift peel-away once they were able to carefully pry-up a corner of the decal. I personally enjoy the nice-clean look. Actually bought (e-bay) a couple of smaller-color matching 4x4 decals that are still in the glovebox awaiting my 1st ding or scratch on the bed.
Still watching for advise as to a possible shock change, you feel every pebble with the FX4 package.
Streemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #163
Rivet Master
 
nryn's Avatar

 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streemin View Post
Still watching for advise as to a possible shock change, you feel every pebble with the FX4 package.
I guess this is what I’ll have to drive the truck around for a while to figure out because I hear mixed things. Lots of people like their trucks to feel soft or isolated—like a Cadillac—as if they are riding on air. I prefer a sportier feel, which to me means feeling the road and keeping more in contact with it.

But I don’t yet know what the combination of the truck and hitched trailer will feel like and whether I like it. The good news is that changing out the shocks is a really easy and relatively inexpensive thing to do. So I’ll wait until after my dry runs to decide whether it needs improvement. I find I can’t go by “good” or “bad” on forums for something so subjective.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #164
Builder of Diesel Jeeps
 
westernjeep401's Avatar
 
2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
I guess this is what I’ll have to drive the truck around for a while to figure out because I hear mixed things. Lots of people like their trucks to feel soft or isolated—like a Cadillac—as if they are riding on air. I prefer a sportier feel, which to me means feeling the road and keeping more in contact with it.

But I don’t yet know what the combination of the truck and hitched trailer will feel like and whether I like it. The good news is that changing out the shocks is a really easy and relatively inexpensive thing to do. So I’ll wait until after my dry runs to decide whether it needs improvement. I find I can’t go by “good” or “bad” on forums for something so subjective.
Should you decide to replace them, I'm interested in the Ranchos

Strictly from the model cut-sheet, the basic 4x4 (and 4x2) 10/11.5k trucks have a damper that's "Heavy Duty", with higher capacity, or duty cycle, versions on the Campering model, as well as the FX4. So why should/would this be of any concern? Ride quality is, roughly speaking, determined by the springs (which are actually the shock absorbers), and the shocks (or dampers of the energy the springs take on while operating); not to say the shocks do not. You can have "HD" shocks that are valved to allow less fluid to transit from one chamber to the other, thus a more robust reaction to the spring as it responds to the bump. Why? Because all that energy from the springs, has to be reconciled by the shock/damper, and that hydraulic fluid gets HOTTT; the nitrogen charge increases the boiling point of the oil so it doesn't begin to foam, which is why shocks will begin to fade in their effectiveness as they get worked hard.

I can't readily recommend a brand, as it's my subjective. However, I have in the past, on a new half-ton (6250 GVWR) pickup that was going to be the primary AS puller, replaced the rears with Monroe Gas Magnums, which are valved stiff (maximum resistance to the reactive force from the bump and rebound), thus they would TEND...TEND...to be less susceptible to fade over time. There are better options, to be sure, but in the end, it's up to the operator.
__________________
14 Serenity 28'
15 Grand Cherokee EcoD
#5261
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #165
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
I guess this is what I’ll have to drive the truck around for a while to figure out because I hear mixed things. Lots of people like their trucks to feel soft or isolated—like a Cadillac—as if they are riding on air. I prefer a sportier feel, which to me means feeling the road and keeping more in contact with it.

But I don’t yet know what the combination of the truck and hitched trailer will feel like and whether I like it. The good news is that changing out the shocks is a really easy and relatively inexpensive thing to do. So I’ll wait until after my dry runs to decide whether it needs improvement. I find I can’t go by “good” or “bad” on forums for something so subjective.
Guess I am not that sensitive...I have no issues with the shocks and I now have 42k miles on my 2017 after this last summer... The ride is fine on my KR model, and I would expect it to be fine on other models with the 4x4 and FX4 package also....after all, it is a 3/4T PU right? But honestly, the ride on the 2017 model and newer is night and day over 2016 and earlier models...no need to just change the shocks unless there is an issue, is my thinking.

Other consideration is looking at posts with "your" brand of TV; there are lots of opinions on shocks...it can be "shocking".
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #166
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Denver , North Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 194
Images: 1
Narayan you might want to consider changing from Fords tpms and camera system and only get their tpms monitor.

I have a 2017 f250 d and 2019 GT. Your GT will come with a wireless backup camera from AS. Although it doesn’t integrate into the Ford display it has the ability to be on all of the time while driving letting you see what is going on behind you.

You can get just Fords tpms monitor without the camera for a little less money. Fords camera only works when your transmission is in reverse. . AS’s camera also has a microphone in the camera so you can hear someone close to the back of the trailer helping you back into a site. Fords camera is NOT wireless and would be a pita to install.
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #167
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,127
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Narayan you might want to consider changing from Fords tpms and camera system and only get their tpms monitor.

I have a 2017 f250 d and 2019 GT. Your GT will come with a wireless backup camera from AS. Although it doesn’t integrate into the Ford display it has the ability to be on all of the time while driving letting you see what is going on behind you.

You can get just Fords tpms monitor without the camera for a little less money. Fords camera only works when your transmission is in reverse. . AS’s camera also has a microphone in the camera so you can hear someone close to the back of the trailer helping you back into a site. Fords camera is NOT wireless and would be a pita to install.
Ford's 360-degree camera system only comes on AUTOMATICALLY in reverse, but you can force it to turn on and tick through various different perspectives. The basic reversing camera may only come on at all in reverse, I have the 360-deg one. It automatically shuts off when you get above 8 or 10 mph. I use the forward view regularly to fine-tune my position in parking spots.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #168
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,174
Couple comments; I considered Ford's back up camera, but went with the AS camera....works well for parking and also I can see behind while driving; nice when you are changing lanes for sure...or have just passed someone and not sure how far they are from the mirrors. I have used it a few times without my wife back there, during inclement weather or when I am by myself and it has helped me a lot to see where the back was heading...28' remember.. The screen sits in the indent on the dash above the radio, plugs into the cigarette plug on the dash, and stores nicely in the armrest storage. As for the TPMS, I would have loved to get the Ford TPMS but it was very costly...more important, I could not find any dealer who had installed one! I did find a service manager who recently installed it himself; said it was a lot of work and had to wire into the harness. I just got the TST TPMS system after reading several reviews on it and also other brands. I installed it 3 weeks ago and it works great on the trip back to Texas last week...2200+ miles. There are several youtube videos on setting up, which I watched a couple times before I got it right, but that's just me. I am pleased to have both systems. The TPMS sits on the dash a little behind the backup monitor; I can see it when I want to check it out, but I also know it has warning sound/alerts if something were not right with the tires. my 2 cents.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #169
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,423
The Ford TPMS works great and is easy to read,the 7 camera system is also a feature that I use.Especially the overhead of the vehicle.I installed the TPMS as it comes in a box on delivery of the new vehicle.Took about a hour and was simple.
I have found that if you just order every option that you will have no regrets.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #170
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The Ford TPMS works great and is easy to read,the 7 camera system is also a feature that I use.Especially the overhead of the vehicle.I installed the TPMS as it comes in a box on delivery of the new vehicle.Took about a hour and was simple.
I have found that if you just order every option that you will have no regrets.
What year/make Ford did you install the Ford TPMS on? I wanted to get the Ford TPMS on my 2017 F250, but it was very frustrating not being able to find a dealer/service department that had/has installed one, or that could explain exactly what I would need to order...few options I was told. Did you install it yourself? I would have liked (would still like) to use the built in Ford display/system, if I could get some clear information on which to order and find someone who to install it....assuming there is some work required here.
The backup camera was never a consideration for me; our AS came with the factory installed unit.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #171
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,423
Help spec a new F-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
What year/make Ford did you install the Ford TPMS on? I wanted to get the Ford TPMS on my 2017 F250, but it was very frustrating not being able to find a dealer/service department that had/has installed one, or that could explain exactly what I would need to order...few options I was told. Did you install it yourself? I would have liked (would still like) to use the built in Ford display/system, if I could get some clear information on which to order and find someone who to install it....assuming there is some work required here.

The backup camera was never a consideration for me; our AS came with the factory installed unit.


I installed on my 2017 F350.I ordered it with the truck and it came in a separate box.Instructions are straight forward I just used zip ties to run the cable along the bottom of the Airstream and mounted the signal box to the rear of the forward axel again with zip large ties and it’s easy to do.Once complete I took my Airstream to the tire shop and they installed the tire valve sensors.They did not even remove the tires from the wheels to install.Once installed you sync the system which takes about 2 minutes time.I have put on approximately 12,000 miles since installation and it works great.Simple install
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #172
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' International
Galt , California
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 38
specing an F-250

Wish I had the 7 camera system on my 2017 F-250 Lariat. Got everything else but that. I have a tire monitoring built into the info display, but I installed the TPMS on the trailer later. I don't know which model of 250 you have, but the lariat comes standard with a tire pressure monitoring system.
absteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #173
Rivet Master
 
nryn's Avatar

 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I installed on my 2017 F350.I ordered it with the truck and it came in a separate box.Instructions are straight forward I just used zip ties to run the cable along the bottom of the Airstream and mounted the signal box to the rear of the forward axel again with zip large ties and it’s easy to do.Once complete I took my Airstream to the tire shop and they installed the tire valve sensors.They did not even remove the tires from the wheels to install.Once installed you sync the system which takes about 2 minutes time.I have put on approximately 12,000 miles since installation and it works great.Simple install
I got a demo of the TPMS and 360° camera when shopping for the truck. I've had a 360° camera on my everyday car for a while and use it all the time. Very cool that they extended that system to include a trailer, and that they've got BLIS to cover the trailer now as well.

Maybe in a couple of years they'll have a system that automatically handles the sewer hose on a travel trailer
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #174
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by absteen View Post
Wish I had the 7 camera system on my 2017 F-250 Lariat. Got everything else but that. I have a tire monitoring built into the info display, but I installed the TPMS on the trailer later. I don't know which model of 250 you have, but the lariat comes standard with a tire pressure monitoring system.
I have the King Ranch, 2017 F250. It does have the TPMS capability in the display for adding the trailer system. My issue was, when new, I could not find a dealer here in Texas or in Montana where I summer, that knew enough about installation, so that's why I did not proceed. The TST system has lots of users. Since I just used the TST on my last trip, I may send back to Amazon and send for the Ford kit now that I have some data on it from Moflash.

BTW, yea, the 7 camera system is great! We use all the time...wife loves it so she can point out how close I am to objects, when I am parking...really needles me using this system! LoL
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #175
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 309
"I just used zip ties to run the cable along the bottom of the Airstream and mounted the signal box to the rear of the forward axel"

Moflash, how does the system on the trailer talk to the truck? I get that you have a cable running from a box on the axle and going forward, presumably to the tongue. What then? is there a physical connection to the truck, or...?
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #176
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,423
Help spec a new F-250

The kit comes with a receptacle that plugs into the harness in the rear of the truck.There is already a cutout next to the license plate for it.When you hook up the Airstream you plug it in and the trucks computer recognizes it and knows the perimeters for the set for TPMS
You have to order the kit from Fords parts department.It comes with everything except a bag of large zip ties needed for install
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #177
4 Rivet Member
 
steverino's Avatar
 
2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 417
Images: 8
Help spec a new F-250

I also installed Ford’s TPMS on my ‘17 F350 and Classic. I omitted the camera to save a few bucks, plus the Classic came with Airstream’s wireless camera. It was a 20 minute job to install the receptacle, the cable, and TPMS receiver. the receiver went under the trailer on AFrame, and the excess cable was coiled up and zip tied underneath the propane tanks. TPMS operation has been reliable, and convenient, as it is integrated into the truck’s information display.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #178
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The kit comes with a receptacle that plugs into the harness in the rear of the truck.There is already a cutout next to the license plate for it.When you hook up the Airstream you plug it in and the trucks computer recognizes it and knows the perimeters for the set for TPMS
You have to order the kit from Fords parts department.It comes with everything except a bag of large zip ties needed for install
OK; that was one of my problems; there seems to be a "few" options with this kit....do you have the part number you ordered and pricing from Ford? Here is what I found on line:

Trailer-Mounted Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS Only

Part No: HC3Z-1A189-C

SRP: $500.00

Is this what you ordered?? Thanks.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #179
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,423
Help spec a new F-250

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6421.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	323235


Mine came with the trailer camera also
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #180
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Attachment 323235


Mine came with the trailer camera also


Can be bought $565-$750 depending on your Ford dealer.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
250 meets 250 meets 250... "made for Germany" in Germany split window Classic Motorhomes 31 03-16-2020 05:25 AM
Help spec a new F-150 nryn Tow Vehicles 88 09-09-2018 10:00 AM
Any TV off road type tires? 2016 F-250. 250 vs 350? 6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas? Need help! Danattherock Tow Vehicles 53 07-19-2015 01:21 AM
250 MH :: 1990 Airstream 250 barend Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 08:32 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.