Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2021, 04:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick tracy View Post
You are fine if they both have them, some may say they will "fight" each other, but i dont believe that is the case.

If you are buying a new panel, it doesn't need a controller.

Thanks, the only reason I’am thinking to get the second unit with the controller would be for another possible purpose, but no idea what that would or could be.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:01 AM   #22
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Once you get past one portable panels wouldn't it make more sense to just install a controller inside the trailer that can handle all of them together and maximize output? It still should be possible to maintain most of the same wiring, but it might be worthwhile to replace some of it towards the batteries to use larger gauge conductors.

On my Excella I've got a Victron 100/30 installed next to the converter/charger. The connections to the batteries parallel the converter/charger and I just ran a short length of duplex 6-ga wire out the same opening as the 7-wire umbilical cord. I installed a compatible connector under the tongue where I can plug in the panel(s).

I have three folding Zamp 180w panels. The onboard controllers have been removed from all three and I've got a male & a female MC4 connectors on the ends of the wires which I've trimmed down to about 8ft in length. Using about a 25-ft length of 6ga duplex as a leader between the connector on the tongue and the panels I can move the panels around into the sun while the trailer sits in the shade. When in a hurry I might just quickly set up one panel, but it's also possible to connect all three together in series to maximize output.

Eventually I'll add a couple of panels on the roof. These will also be in series with each other and I'll then use the factory pre-wiring to get that power down to the area where the MPPT controller is mounted and then connect them to the controller parallel to the portable panels.

May not work for everyone using multiple portable panels, but I'm offering it as an option.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I’ll just suggest again to call AM Solar. Tell them what you have / what you want to accomplish and they will give you the options to make your decision. They are the pro’s and were very helpful to me. You want to make sure you purchase the correct controller/ connections for what you want to do and they do this all the time.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I’ll just suggest again to call AM Solar. Tell them what you have / what you want to accomplish and they will give you the options to make your decision. They are the pro’s and were very helpful to me. You want to make sure you purchase the correct controller/ connections for what you want to do and they do this all the time.

Thanks, I tried to get a # for Zamp, but like so many website they do not provide a phone #. And they do not respond to my detailed emails, very frustrating after spending hundreds of dollars on their product, and wanting to spend hundreds more.

Ken
Old 12-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Once you get past one portable panels wouldn't it make more sense to just install a controller inside the trailer that can handle all of them together and maximize output? It still should be possible to maintain most of the same wiring, but it might be worthwhile to replace some of it towards the batteries to use larger gauge conductors.

On my Excella I've got a Victron 100/30 installed next to the converter/charger. The connections to the batteries parallel the converter/charger and I just ran a short length of duplex 6-ga wire out the same opening as the 7-wire umbilical cord. I installed a compatible connector under the tongue where I can plug in the panel(s).

I have three folding Zamp 180w panels. The onboard controllers have been removed from all three and I've got a male & a female MC4 connectors on the ends of the wires which I've trimmed down to about 8ft in length. Using about a 25-ft length of 6ga duplex as a leader between the connector on the tongue and the panels I can move the panels around into the sun while the trailer sits in the shade. When in a hurry I might just quickly set up one panel, but it's also possible to connect all three together in series to maximize output.

Eventually I'll add a couple of panels on the roof. These will also be in series with each other and I'll then use the factory pre-wiring to get that power down to the area where the MPPT controller is mounted and then connect them to the controller parallel to the portable panels.

May not work for everyone using multiple portable panels, but I'm offering it as an option.

Thanks Richard I’ll check this out, have to read it a few times to sink in.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Thanks Richard I’ll check this out, have to read it a few times to sink in.
This is almost exactly what I did, except I have 200W on the roof and a single 160W Zamp. 50' of 6ga marine stranded duplex as a sunchaser lead on the zamp. single Victron 100/30 near the batts and positive buss. 6 ga pigtail through floor at umbilical entry point with Anderson connectors where necessary.

6ga marine duplex from roof combiner to positive buss as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #27
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This is almost exactly what I did, except I have 200W on the roof and a single 160W Zamp. 50' of 6ga marine stranded duplex as a sunchaser lead on the zamp. single Victron 100/30 near the batts and positive buss. 6 ga pigtail through floor at umbilical entry point with Anderson connectors where necessary.

6ga marine duplex from roof combiner to positive buss as well.
Anderson connectors are definitely the way to go here. Just be sure to get them from the same manufacturer - I found out the hard way that there are slight variances between them which sometimes make for a really difficult connection. I was afraid of cracking the plastic with my more recent set as they were just too tight to connect to the previous ones. Had to track down the same ones I used prior.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
One controller as Silvr_Bullet and dsnf0g suggest is the way to go. I have 180W on the roof feeding a Victron MPPT and 120W Zamp suitcase with a PWM controller, charging flooded lead-acid batteries. What I find is that during the bulk charge cycle both controllers work at full capacity. But when the charge reaches absorption stage, eventually one of the controllers will shut down (in my case the Vitron), leaving the work to the other. I think this shutdown is due to the two controllers having slightly different absorption voltages and maybe slightly different battery voltage readings.

So this winter’s project will be to remove the Zamp controller and feed the A-frame SAE plug, along with the roof feed to the Victron controller. Let the one controller do it all. And I will pick up the enhanced charging from the MPPT. I will eventually put an SAE plug at the Zamp controller input and some alligator clips on the output. Then if needed, I can attach the Zamp controller to the suitcase wire (at the battery end) and then clip directly to the battery. Best of both worlds.
And I do agree, Anderson plugs are the way to go, but Ive already got SAEs everywhere.

Safe travels.
Fred
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }a:link { color: #000080; so-language: zxx; text-decoration: underline }a:visited { color: #800000; so-language: zxx; text-decoration: underline }
Malia20 is offline   Reply With Quote