Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
I’m a very patient man (or maybe just a hopeless dreamer.)

This plane took Cory Bird 14 years to build and is what I would strive for:
http://mojaveskies.blogspot.com/2009/01/planes-of-mojave-symmetry.html?m=1[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Somebody shoot me.
I have a close friend in Orlando that once owned a small airplane. Now he just rents one of the light sport models when he wants some flight time. We usually go for a flight when I visit. Seems like the best of both worlds without having the large depreciating cost of owning an airplane.

Just saying...

Edit: after posting I found this very interesting video... staying off-topic.

Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The ultimate Interstate garage

If you can get a 50' pull thru, one of these would be a BALL

Wait for 2:03...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
I’m a very patient man (or maybe just a hopeless dreamer.)

This plane took Cory Bird 14 years to build and is what I would strive for:
LB3 - Don't forget to add couple days for building the custom airplane rack on top of the AI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying Shogun Shot 1 600dpi - widescreen.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	332921  
Attached Images

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Most Americans don't know the acronym STOL. I know it, NOT because of hobby flying, but because I'm from an itty bitty part of the world where STOL aircraft are often the most viable commercial option.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We went to Oskosh in 2017, missed last year because our dear four legged family member was dying. Planning to go again in 2019! It.is.a.blast!!!!!!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Most Americans don't know the acronym STOL. I know it, NOT because of hobby flying, but because I'm from an itty bitty part of the world where STOL aircraft are often the most viable commercial option.

I hear your inner pilot just SCREAMING to get out...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Continuing the airplane sidebar, hat tip to SteveWolf on Class B Forum for this gem. With a trailer like the one shown in this vid, Interstate garage space for a small plane is hardly needed.

If I were these guys, I'd upgrade that RoadTrek, though. BUT, it's a personal decision where to put the cash, and maybe they've decided that their dollars are better off flying through the air.

It's brilliant on multiple levels, actually. Airports are great places to boondock.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:59 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
On the topic of garages, rent vs. build, there's always THIS possibility - that the place burns down because of electrical problem or the irresponsible actions of some tenant or whatever else.

I saw an "avoid the area" tweet from our local police yesterday, announcing that our storage facility was on fire. They said it was only one building that was involved. I don't yet know if it was OUR building.

Our Interstate was not there - I was driving it back from deep east Texas at the time. Today I'll go over and check to see whether I still have a daily driver, because that's what's in our space right now.

This below is not footage of that particular fire, which I cannot find on the internet. This is footage from another storage facility fire, to show what it looks like. Obviously these rental structures are just metal buildings with no fire stops between the units.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/multimedia/De...399835471.html
Old 11-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #149
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Looks like we found our new house... this weekend we left a deposit to secure the lot for what will be our retirement home 10 years from now... decided to buy it now and just leave it there until the time comes.

• Smaller house than what we have now, so easier to maintain. All cost also go down significantly (HOA, taxes, etc)...
  • RV parking allowed in the drive way (30' long driveway). Having them install a 120volts/30amp plug right next to the RV for when we have it in the driveway
  • HOA 50.00 per year and the bylaws are one page long...wished it did not have one, but this is the best we could do... Anything else without HOA was either too expensive for us or in the middle of nowhere (no way to convince my wife to move there)
  • I can build my workshop in the back! Will not be huge since it is only a 1/2 acre lot, but enough to house all my projects and the AI
  • They can extend the garage in the house 4' so I can still have a decent/comfortable garage for all that I like to do there...
  • Corner lot that allows me to enter the shop from the side street.

Plan is to build a workshop right away. This will allow me to move all my projects there while still having space to park the AI.

All the build for the house and workshop should be done in 9-10 months...clock starts when we sign the contract at the end of this month. Again, we will not move there for several years... right now we are close to the college my daughter attends (and in a year, my son as well)... and this is about 1-1/2 hours away driving to the office and we are now less than 20 minutes away... so we will stay where we are for now and get this one ready for when it is time to move.

Not 'THE' ultimate garage for an AI, but it will be for ours

Here is a rough plot plan I made to better visualize where everything would be:

And the house floor plan after I modified a few things...

Here is a photo of our friends in front of a similar model home that we looked at...

Anyway, pretty exited and just wanted to share the news. You can tell that I am really looking forward to retirement...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WILLOW-II-Modified with options  -L      Version 6.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	356439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rough Plot Plan Sketch.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	356440  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #150
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
My shop behind our home in good times and in bad!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nashville Flood 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	356442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nashville Flood 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	356443  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #151

Orlando , Florida
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
My shop behind our home in good times and in bad!

oh man...
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #152
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
oh man...

Lakefront property for 1 day 10 years ago back in 2010.

Everything is fine and not that big of a deal.

Also have a 9 garage spaces in the house so I'm good on indoor vehicle storage!

Old 11-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #153

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Lakefront property for 1 day 10 years ago back in 2010.

Everything is fine and not that big of a deal.

Also have a 9 garage spaces in the house so I'm good on indoor vehicle storage!

I just imagine my cars floating inside the workshop and all the tools and equipment rusted and ruined from the water....

That had to be devastating
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #154
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
I just imagine my cars floating inside the workshop and all the tools and equipment rusted and ruined from the water....

That had to be devastating
No not really devastating at all.

I had time to get cars on the lifts and most everything else on shelves or tables so as not to git wet.

I call the whole Great Nashville Flood of 2010 an "Inconvenience" for me as many other folks had 8 feet of water in their homes. That's what I would call devastating!

The mess was totally cleaned up 2 days later "Like it Never Even Happened"!

My shop is 1 foot above the 100 year floodplain. My homes first floor level elevation is 7 1/2 feet above the 100 year floodplain. The FEMA Flood Maps for my property showed the 1,000 year "Never" floodplain level at only 3 feet above the 100 year floodplain level. The flood level actually reached 5 1/2 feet above the 100 year floodplain or 2 1/2 feet above the FEMA guess "Never" floodplain level.

So much for the FEMA GUESS at possible flood levels!

Yep the shop got wet with about 3 1/2 feet of water. Not a real big deal. Our home did not git wet so as I said all it was in reality was an "Inconvenience"!

Nice conversation subject now!

Old 11-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #155
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Wachuko,

Love your house and lot plan! We are trying to do something similar, so far haven’t found a suitable spot.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #156

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineolated View Post
Wachuko,

Love your house and lot plan! We are trying to do something similar, so far haven’t found a suitable spot.
Thank you. I wished it was at least 1 acre... but anything we found like that and in our price range, had no paved roads for several miles... and there was no normal civilization with doctor offices, shopping areas, etc. close by...or the house was 50 years old and everything had to be redone...or they would not allow RVs parked anywhere... And we did not wanted to be close to the coast (as much as I like the sea) due to the hurricanes... so it had to be in the middle of the state... so we looked in the Ocala, FL area.

I was really trying hard to think retirement age for this decision... as much as I would like to be isolated from everything (meaning a house in the middle of nowhere with a self-sustaining intelligent house in a several acres lot), when I think about getting older and seeing what my father-in-law does on a daily basis... retirement for us will mean being somewhat close to normal civilization... again, only regret with this place is that it is not a 1 acre lot... that would have been perfect. But after 2 1/2 years looking, we just decided to go with this one...

Plus we wanted a single story home and with everything built out and the lot, it had to be less than 275K...so that I could still keep the house we have now and be able to buy this one...

We pay 2,000 a year in HOA today and I did not wanted a place that had HOA... but 50.00 a year is fine since I get to be able to have the RV parked in the front.

As I searched, we found some amazing looking houses with the right size lot... but in the 4-500K++ range... I am trying to simplify my life long-term, I do not need a house that expensive. I want to use the money traveling, enjoying my kids and their kids (when those come)...

Even this house we think is bigger than what we would really need, but the price jump from a 3 bedroom house to this one was negligible (and I just like having a 3-car garage even if I have the workshop). Wife is happy because for the first time in our married life, she is looking forward to being able to park her car inside the garage

So a lot of things that were considered as we selected the location and house layout...

Anyway... back to normal programming...
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-19-2019, 05:52 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Looks like we found our new house... this weekend we left a deposit to secure the lot for what will be our retirement home 10 years from now... decided to buy it now and just leave it there until the time comes.
Uh-huh. See, you can DO that where you are, and not have it turn into a complete financial goat fornication. Unlike those of us in Texas who would end up paying a third of the property cost in taxes before we even managed to get our butts out there.

Congrats on both your property purchase and on putting down roots in an state that is easy for seniors to live in. We love Texas, but as I noted previously, it's a roaring pain to have to circumnavigate the tax issues.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:35 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Ugggghhhhhh....

Do you ever have one of those moments when you make a decision that you figure is maybe the right decision, but that godawful feeling of doubt in the pit of your stomach just won't leave you, even after the fact?

I am 51% confident that LB_3 and I made the right decision yesterday by not bidding on the historic house that Neil Armstrong owned at the time when he walked on the Moon.

I am 49% feeling that we might have screwed up big time.

It is really rare for us to face a predicament which is THAT CLOSE. We have a lot of shared values and typically we are on the same page and can execute any given decision without a lot of ambivalence.

One could argue that Armstrong's greatest accomplishment was that he developed the perfect Interstate property. It's nice that he was also the first man to walk on the Moon, but that had less to do with his personal vision as an engineer, and more to do with the 200 million Americans and their leaders, scientists, and engineers who collectively enabled him to do it.

When in doubt, look for the upside: I can't un-see what I saw yesterday while visiting that property. It changed my mind about how a van-centric layout ought to be designed functionally. For brevity I will skip those details, and just show you the juxtaposition of its two 3-car garages, because this is a garage thread, afterall:

Old 07-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #159
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
^^^^^^^ Are the garage doors on the outbuilding are high enough for the van?

If that's the case, yep, that's a pretty neat setup. You didn't bid yesterday but does that mean you can't go back and bid today? Give it some thought, it may not be the right place for other reasons.

We're also considering a move. Don't know for sure if it will ever happen but we keep looking. This one showed up recently - over half of the square footage is garage (4000 s.f.) and just under half is living space (3500 sf). It appears the garage is insulated and has HVAC but not certain. If it were only half the price!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	garage_1.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	372349   Click image for larger version

Name:	garage_2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	372350  

Name:	garage_3.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	372351  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #160

Orlando , Florida
Our house is almost done...

Then we can build the garage in the back... Just a rough plot plan I made... not final. Wished I could go in from the side in the back. But a second drive way is not allowed... I might just do it anyway...

Getting there... getting there... Still we will not move in for at least 5 years. But in the mean time we can get it setup with everything we want for our retirement... Plan is to move all my projects to the workshop... Perfect place to store my projects and the AI...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4220.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	372352  
WBCCI #26769