Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #81
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
From the sublime to the ridiculous: the vivid contrast between "old League City" and "new League City" below, image chosen at semi-random from Googlemaps.

The city permits the building of new houses with that extreme an impervious density, and then they scratch their heads and wonder why we have such intractable flooding problems. Twenty-three percent of the city's housing stock flooded during Harvey (the city covers 53 square miles). Portions of the city submerge during much milder rain events. It is partly a velocity thing, eh? All those roofs and all that concrete cause run-off to occur with break-neck speed, more than the drainage systems can handle.

Our realtor has been a personal friend for more than two decades; I knew him before he got into real estate. He keeps telling us that chances are slim to none that we'll ever purchase a property configured as we need. Even if we locate such a property, the cost will be so high compared to building it ourselves, that we'll simply build ourselves.

The trick is finding a larger tract of land that will support it. Tracts like these below (or even much smaller) would work nicely, but they rarely come onto the market.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #82
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
Aaaand then there's this deleterious effect of being financially guilty by association. Annoyingly, the houses on either side are not appraised that much higher than this more modest one, despite having twice the acreage and almost twice the square footage. That lot is only 90 feet wide = modest by our local standards. If I were these owners, I'd be seriously protesting my tax bill.

I do like this general garage config. Highest bay in the middle. That way it's convenient to work around all sides of the Interstate without being boxed in by walls or other obstructions.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #83
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
Meme that appeared on my Instagram feed. Not an accident because the internet is spying on us all, you know. And its algorithms are highly sophisticated.


This is a little bit sexist, though. I've always told LB_3 that I'd park my Sienna in our living room if I could find a way to fit it in there. I refuse to park outside in Texas. LB_3, the man in our equation, is the one who habitually parks in our driveway instead of in the garage.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #84
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
From the sublime to the ridiculous: the vivid contrast between "old League City" and "new League City" below, image chosen at semi-random from Googlemaps.

The city permits the building of new houses with that extreme an impervious density, and then they scratch their heads and wonder why we have such intractable flooding problems. Twenty-three percent of the city's housing stock flooded during Harvey (the city covers 53 square miles). Portions of the city submerge during much milder rain events. It is partly a velocity thing, eh? All those roofs and all that concrete cause run-off to occur with break-neck speed, more than the drainage systems can handle.

Our realtor has been a personal friend for more than two decades; I knew him before he got into real estate. He keeps telling us that chances are slim to none that we'll ever purchase a property configured as we need. Even if we locate such a property, the cost will be so high compared to building it ourselves, that we'll simply build ourselves.

The trick is finding a larger tract of land that will support it. Tracts like these below (or even much smaller) would work nicely, but they rarely come onto the market.

Those might as well be townhouses or zero lot line. That is ridiculous. But, you wouldnít have to go next door to borrow sugar. Just stick your head out the window.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:24 AM   #85
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Meme that appeared on my Instagram feed.
INTERBLOG - Minor correction on that meme . . . "If men designed houses alone, the living room, dining room, AND garage would be one big room"

Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0370beech001.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	316385  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #86
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,735
The ultimate Interstate garage

Yup. Absolutely concur.
Thatís why DW is the design department and Iím the engineering and construction department.
Also note that when I go to buy paint custom mixed, I provide a signed note along with the paint chip DW hands me, to the paint guy. And he does NOT laugh at me....heís met my wife, and respects her...
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:56 AM   #87
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
There is a neighborhood in Fairhope, Al I visited once. It is very small, only two streets and consists of zero lot patio homes with RV garages in the back accessible from a paved alley. Best thing is that you pay an HOA fee and all yard and exterior home maintenance is done for you. So, you could turn out the lights, stop the mail and head for the hills. Canít remember the name of the place, might get on google maps and see if I recognize it. I do remember that it was north of town and on the east side of Hwy 98.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:03 AM   #88
Rivet Master
 
Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
There is a neighborhood in Fairhope, Al I visited once. It is very small, only two streets and consists of zero lot patio homes with RV garages in the back accessible from a paved alley. Best thing is that you pay an HOA fee and all yard and exterior home maintenance is done for you. So, you could turn out the lights, stop the mail and head for the hills. Canít remember the name of the place, might get on google maps and see if I recognize it. I do remember that it was north of town and on the east side of Hwy 98.
Savannah Square maybe?
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #89
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Savannah Square maybe?
No, these houses are small. Maybe 1200 sq ft of living space plus the garage. They were joined together like a townhouse.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #90
Rivet Master
 
jdalrymple's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,695
We built our dream spot. Room for all the Airstreams and living area in one building.

We have a guest trailer in the hanger in this photo.

We may have over-shot a bit, we like being home as much as camping. But, with a parking spot with hook-ups we have company often.


Regards,

JD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Equinox deck.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	316566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Equinox front.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	316567  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Equinox Hanger.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	316568  
__________________
Jeff & Cindy
'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #91
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
We built our dream spot. Room for all the Airstreams and living area in one building.
JDALRYMPLE - Very nice views, rolling hills. I really like having everything all in one building. I have lived in a property way back in 70's where my huge garage was detached. It was great from isolating the 'stuff' from the main house but going back and forth when it was cold or raining wasn't fun.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #92
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
JDALRYMPLE - Very nice views, rolling hills. I really like having everything all in one building. I have lived in a property way back in 70's where my huge garage was detached. It was great from isolating the 'stuff' from the main house but going back and forth when it was cold or raining wasn't fun.
Thatís the way it is here. The beer fridge is up in the garage too.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 217
Still need to do some wiring and stain but the main structure has been redone to accommodate the AI.

The before
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4349.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	317472


The after (as is today)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4492.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	551.1 KB
ID:	317473
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #94
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Still need to do some wiring and stain but the main structure has been redone to accommodate the AI.
Look great. Can you access the roof under there if you needed to do so?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #95
Prof. of Pending Projects
 
wachuko's Avatar
 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,568
^^ Very nice!!
__________________
Safe travels!
Wachuko
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Look great. Can you access the roof under there if you needed to do so?
Yep... there are not any cross beams. I have about 10'6" of clearance with the cross beam in the front then it opens up to the roof line. Not sure how tall in the middle. Will take some pictures from underneath.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 217
Here is the underside.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4493.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	317488

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4494.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	317489
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #98
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Here is the underside.
Attachment 317488

Attachment 317489
I like that, what is the width and length?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 217
The four posts are 20x20. The roof is elongated to 24í. The actual coverage is about 22í x 25í.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #100
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
A different take on the garage idea, plus an interesting DIY van. Most of these types of vids are sloppy hack jobs, but this one is professionally shot and edited, so even though it is 30 minutes long, it is easy to watch. HT Class B Forum.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 Airstream Interstate - Ultimate Compact RV 22 MPG! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-24-2009 03:15 AM
Ultimate Tow Vehicle cosmotini Off Topic Forum 24 10-05-2005 05:38 PM
Ultimate Airstream mandolindave Our Community 13 02-16-2004 06:19 PM
Ultimate Bambi Boondocker? Pick Our Community 5 11-10-2003 12:47 PM
The ultimate disaster - Airstream rollover ipso_facto On The Road... 44 05-07-2003 12:01 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.