Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #121
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Yes. That would do just fine, lol. Wow, nice!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
This is the garage of the owner of a black Interstate in the Dallas area. If it is not my favorite that I've seen thus far, it's darned close. Wow.
INTERBLOG - any mention of the house? What house? Who cares about the house? Forget the house. Wife & I will be perfectly happy to 'live' in that garage.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The ultimate Interstate garage

Yup. It’s built for what is important. And I’m thinking a “Norm Sized” workshop area behind at least one of the rollup doors....the mind boggles. Would love a sketch of the actual layout...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:12 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
INTERBLOG - any mention of the house? What house? Who cares about the house? Forget the house. Wife & I will be perfectly happy to 'live' in that garage.
Well, THEY care about the house, obviously. Not everybody uses IG, so I scraped a pic of his/her/their entire property. Read it and weep - this falls into "died and went to Heaven" territory.

Of course, I'd never have a house that big. But I'm intentionally never going to have THAT much money, either. It would be too much work to get it. I'd prefer to have a smaller house, and less work.

If this person ever shows up on this forum, we're all going to be like, "Hey, we already know who you are!!"

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #125

2015 Interstate Coach
League City , Texas
Quote:
A Tale of Two Garages:

hat tip to the golfer whose real identity has me curious, not that it's any of my business.

No mystery here...I live in South Shore Harbour and just drive through that area occasionally and noticed the sign. My father recently bought a 2015 Interstate, which is why I joined this forum (to help him). I own a 1996 Foretravel, and we store both units at Americas Storage on FM 646, but would like to have a place of our own to keep them.
bogeygolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeygolfer View Post
No mystery here...I live in South Shore Harbour and just drive through that area occasionally and noticed the sign. My father recently bought a 2015 Interstate, which is why I joined this forum (to help him). I own a 1996 Foretravel, and we store both units at Americas Storage on FM 646, but would like to have a place of our own to keep them.
We are just west of you on FM 646 in the storage business adjacent south of the gun range. We jokingly refer to the place as Fallujah.

2106 Lawrence Road is still on the market at its original ask. As before, I say, "Good luck with that, bubbas."
Old 12-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Tip for anyone who will be either building or "making over" a garage, especially if you are like me and **HATE** to see valuable materials landfilled. This is one of my biggest pet peeves ever. It's why I built these Interstate ramps using wood pieces that I picked from a construction waste pile, because throwing away this kind of stuff is just WRONG:

My advice on the garage task is look for salvage shops, BUT, be prepared to put some serious work into it. Good salvage shops are not going to be talked about on the internet for the obvious reason, because everyone wants to preserve the source of their own excellent financial deals. That information is not going to get spread around, and the shops themselves will be communicated by word of mouth, so they don't need to spend money on advertising.

Furthermore, don't expect that one salvage shop will necessarily resemble the next, even if they appear related.

The best example I can give in my area is Habitat for Humanity ReStore shops. We have one in Houston which appears to take mainstream Habitat surplus stock and sell it to the public as new merchandise. And they take builder donations of new merchandise and sell it as new merchandise. All of their prices are on par with Home Depot - there's no financial point in shopping there, although it might be nice to support a worthy nonprofit.

But we have a different ReStore in another part of Houston which mostly takes used items and sells them at rock bottom prices the way the Salvation Army did decades ago (a roommate and I outfitted our grad school apartment via Salvation Army, then donated the furniture back when we were finished), except ReStore is mostly building materials rather than household goods. Much of their new stock is one-offs, an extra window or door that a builder could not use, or the wrong item got delivered to a job site and rather than paying freight to return it, they just donate it.

I got three brand new Pella double-paned Energy Star windows, still with labels attached, for about 20 cents on the dollar compared to retail. The smallest window has one pane of glass that is cracked that I will have to replace, but for that price, I will do the work.

Anyway, a lesson there for anyone who might get into a garage project, or a vacation shack build-out to augment their Interstate.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #128
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
INTERBLOG - Nice ramps. Many decades ago, before I had any money to buy automotive tools, a craftsman friend built me ramps made from his scrap hardwood cuttings. It is not as hefty as yours, made for my small car, but is definitely very wise use of resources.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Yep. Very nice ramps. I used your post from long ago and built a set for my AI. I had to make one pair wide enough for my duals in back. Hefty hefty hefty...
Old 01-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
It won't be funny if someone gets hurt, but it also IS funny on another level because it's so absurd. Do you see the big storage facility adjacent to where the newscaster draws the red circle on his monitor? That's where we garage our Interstate. LB_3 and I have always referred to the place by the nickname we gave it - "Fallujah". When the hobbyists start firing their Armalites and those other bazooka-like contraptions, holy crap it's loud out there! It's like something out of a war movie.

But the heck of it is, we are not downrange. It's the houses that are downrange. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a single stray bullet hit our storage complex, only the houses (I wouldn't keep our Interstate there if I were seeing shrapnel). I've never heard a complaint by any of the other garage tenants.

In case anyone is wondering, the whole conflict hinges on the gun range having been there first. It's grandfathered. The developers installed the subdivision around it. The city has no legal grounds for ousting the range as a result. That, and the fact that the man who owns it is the former Mayor's papa.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Holy crap -- look at this!! Talk about an un-served market!! Some developer finally got the memo!!

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/p...r-13561211.php
Old 01-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Nice idea, clearly aimed at the high end of the market.
$100,000 for an unfinished 750 sq ft shell. Whew does that seen high to others.

The older I get the more out of touch with modern prices I feel.
Still some could make a dream garage there.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #133
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Holy crap -- look at this!! Talk about an un-served market!! Some developer finally got the memo!!

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/p...r-13561211.php
INTERBLOG - these types of properties have been going up in LV for the past decade. We looked at one during the holidays, as we have been thinking of giving up the traditional house and going this route. But huge warehouse, garage, storage, and office/live-space in 1st floor (usually about 3,600-4,00 sq. ft. on 1st floor). And dedicated live-space in 2nd floor. The drawbacks in LV are they are zoned as Live-Work areas, so pricing is very steep (at least for me) and we have to give up suburban living environment and live in the heart of the city. And the units are not just personal/hobbyist-owned garages, they are also businesses. So it's a mixed-use setup, which doesn't appeal to me as much as the one you posted.

http://www.loftworkslv.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web1_lofts-010917-bh-004_7710329.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	332441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loftworks Annotation 2019-01-27 121008.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	332444  

Attached Images

Old 01-28-2019, 06:31 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
$100,000 for an unfinished 750 sq ft shell. Whew does that seen high to others....
Of course it's high - the developers are early in their project, so they are reaching.

That geographic area has an existing precedent for paradigm-breaking suburban development - Polly Ranch, which is a subdivision that was developed with an airstrip running through the middle of it. We have looked at maybe buying a run-down property there and developing it for our Interstate, which would be well-tolerated among the collection of resident Cessna and Piper aircraft. However - two big problems with that idea, even if we could find something we could afford:

(1) We would still be co-owners of an airfield that we were paying for but not using = bad math

(2) It would be too tempting to LB_3 (who is a pilot) - he would want get a small plane. Hear me now loud and clear: I *DO NOT* want a plane.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #135
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Of course it's high - the developers are early in their project, so they are reaching.

That geographic area has an existing precedent for paradigm-breaking suburban development - Polly Ranch, which is a subdivision that was developed with an airstrip running through the middle of it. We have looked at maybe buying a run-down property there and developing it for our Interstate, which would be well-tolerated among the collection of resident Cessna and Piper aircraft. However - two big problems with that idea, even if we could find something we could afford:

(1) We would still be co-owners of an airfield that we were paying for but not using = bad math

(2) It would be too tempting to LB_3 (who is a pilot) - he would want get a small plane. Hear me now loud and clear: I *DO NOT* want a plane.
INTERBLOG - I know that place. It's a beautiful concept. Yeah, can't imagine how expensive it would be living in an airfield (or even golf course) since I not a pilot, no plane (or play golf). But I sure LB3 would be in heaven literally & figuratively
Old 01-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
-------------------------snip-------------------------

Put foot down now!

The only thing more expensive to maintain past an Airstream product or kin are BOATS (Bring Over Another Thousand, Skipper) which are a hole in the water lined with wood, fiberglass or metal, into which you pour money.

An airplane is a device that spends most of it's life parked in the grass, a hangar, or on the tarmac, simply inhaling money even faster than a boat.

True Story: We built a house in Huntsville Alabama that had a full basement. Wife laid out most of it, but I designed the basement. There was an 'extra' door in the back part of the basement into the garage. Wife wanted to know what it was for... I replied, "It's so when I build my airplane I can get the wing outta the basement in a straight line." She insisted, and got a wall that enclosed the utility area that prevented moving anything the size of a wing straight out of my basement woodshop/mancave/construction hangar into the garage...sigh.

But there was two sets of double doors in the FRONT of the basement that were lined up just right (evil laughter)!
Old 02-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeygolfer View Post
Just FYI, that property we were discussing was de-listed. It did not sell (we did not expect it to); it was taken off the market. I don't know why.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Put foot down now!

The only thing more expensive to maintain past an Airstream product or kin are BOATS (Bring Over Another Thousand, Skipper) which are a hole in the water lined with wood, fiberglass or metal, into which you pour money.

An airplane is a device that spends most of it's life parked in the grass, a hangar, or on the tarmac, simply inhaling money even faster than a boat.
I’m a very patient man (or maybe just a hopeless dreamer.)

This plane took Cory Bird 14 years to build and is what I would strive for:

http://mojaveskies.blogspot.com/2009...metry.html?m=1
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Nice!
Old 02-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Somebody shoot me.