Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #181
3 Rivet Member

Hey Terry, wow now I know what is "MISSING" in my overlander, you got a nice vent cover there and someone replced mine with a piece of sheet metal...
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #182
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ours came from Vintage Trailer Supply. As long as you have the actuators, it is a pretty easy task to replace your sheet metal cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti
Hey Terry, wow now I know what is "MISSING" in my overlander, you got a nice vent cover there and someone replced mine with a piece of sheet metal...
Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #183
3 Rivet Member

Is this what you mean? The thing in this picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamparts3.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	36477  
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #184
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti
Is this what you mean? The thing in this picture?
Yes, it pushes the vent up and down, with any luck it isn't siezed. If it is, you will need to liberally apply some penetrating oil, such as PB Blaster, Mac's Penetrating Oil, or Howe's Oil. You should also find a small handle that fits over the square knob end of the actuator to turn it.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #185
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Terry -

Did the awning parts arrive safely? (and more importantly) are they the right parts to fix yours?
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #186
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Terry -

Did the awning parts arrive safely? (and more importantly) are they the right parts to fix yours?
Thanks for sending them, JB, they did in fact arrive, but besides looking to make sure the box didn't look like the fridge I sent you , I haven't been able to look them over. They are in the garage, and this weekend when my brother comes over, I will ask him to pull then out so we can look them over. Marie just had surgery yesterday, and has a pretty severe weight restriction.
If the parts looked like the missing part in the photo below, they are right:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000844.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	36615  
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #187
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
I was wandering...

... instead of starting another big 'ol thread about another newbie buying a vintage camper if I could just share my aquisition story on your thread and, hopefully, gain some info from a fellow 63er who has been there and done that. I dont want to mooch, but I dont want to add redundancy to a fast growing forum with the same old questions. The 63 is my first camper.

Anyway...just thought I'd ask. I'm not sure yet what proper ediquette to use for the forum. I hope you consider this a compliment to your thread, and not an invasion. I love this thread by the way (I laughed, I cried, it was a hoot.)

Thanks

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #188
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy63
... instead of starting another big 'ol thread about another newbie buying a vintage camper if I could just share my aquisition story on your thread and, hopefully, gain some info from a fellow 63er who has been there and done that. I dont want to mooch, but I dont want to add redundancy to a fast growing forum with the same old questions. The 63 is my first camper.

Anyway...just thought I'd ask. I'm not sure yet what proper ediquette to use for the forum. I hope you consider this a compliment to your thread, and not an invasion. I love this thread by the way (I laughed, I cried, it was a hoot.)

Thanks
Rusty, welcome aboard. First question I have for you, to make sure we both have about the same trailer, do you know if yours was built in Ohio, or California? California Overlander will have wheelwells that arc up to the center of the wheelwell between the wheels, and the toilet is on the right (curb) side of the bathroom. If it is an Ohio Overlander, the wheelwells will go in a straight line front to back, with no arches in the center, and the toilet will be on the left (street) side.
Also, does your trailer have center twin beds, or a single bed mounted on one side of the trailer, and cabinets on the other side? Is your trailer a Land Yacht, or International model? International should have badging to show this, and the interior will be different colors and materials.
Lastly, does your trailer have a front dinette, or a front gaucho (convertable couch)?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #189
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Mine is an International Land Yacht built in Ohio. From front to back...tv and radio antennae are there, unk if original but an old Motorolla am radio w/ single speaker in the front top storage cabinet, goucho (p o has a folding table for it but I dont have it yet), Tappan 4 burner stove and oven combo (both work!), International gas furnace below the stove, Dometic gas only fridge (model m 52 I think. I turned it on last night for two hours and the freezer was getting cold but then I ran out of gas ), kitchen sink and all cabinets and countertops are intact and in great shape. I dont know what came with the 63 but it has an old Hotpoint a/c in the front window.

The bedroom has one bed on the street side ( sliding extending type, goucho maybe?) and the curb side has 2 closets with a vanity between them. The vanity has a lifting countertop with a mirror underneath. Under the bed is a large metal water tank. I am pretty sure it is the pressure only type with no pump. It has an air valve on the fill cap. The p o removed the original gas hot water and replaced it with a small electric one. He also replaced what appeared to be the original copper plumbing with the flexible poly tubing.

The bathroom appears to be original. It has a toilet on the street side, sink and vanity in the middle, and the shower on the curb side. The black tank seems to work but I havent had time to thoroughly check it.I also turned the water on for the first time last night. There were a few small leaks but all the outlets worked.

All the 110 a/c works fine, the 12v d/c is still up in the air.

The 63 is very usable now, but still needs lots of work and cleaning. The p o was the third owner. He let it sit for about 5 years. I plan to start with the wheels, axles, tires, and towing equipment first and work my way up from there. Being a deputy sheriff and not a bank president doesnt leave much time or money, but...hey, the grand canyon started with a creek. Any advice would be great and I'm sure I'll have occasional questions. Thanks.

Oh...Two more things. I will have pics soon and I gave $2K for the 63. What do you think?

Old 05-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #190
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Can you give a little more detail about the International badge? My serial number plate says International Land Yacht and Made in Jackson Center, Ohio. The first letter of the vin is I. It also has an M H M A standard badge below the vin plate. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #191
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Can you give a little more detail about the International badge? My serial number plate says International Land Yacht and Made in Jackson Center, Ohio. The first letter of the vin is I. It also has an M H M A standard badge below the vin plate. Thanks.
Looks like you have a center double, International package. The MHMA badge was placed on all units of our trailers' vintage, to show compliance with standards in place at the time of manufacture. Since it is an International, your tub is probably blue, and you probably have the dark cabinetry. We have 750 pound WD bars, depending on what you have to tow with, that should be a good size for you. We also have the old friction type sway control, if you are buying new stuff (your trailer didn't come with any), a Reese dual cam combo WD/sway control is worth looking into.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #192
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And I thought Jesse James rode a horse...

Quote:
, kitchen sink and all cabinets and countertops are intact and in great shape. I dont know what came with the 63 but it has an old Hotpoint a/c in the front window.

The bathroom appears to be original. It has a toilet on the street side, sink and vanity in the middle, and the shower on the curb side. The black tank seems to work but I havent had time to thoroughly check it.I also turned the water on for the first time last night. There were a few small leaks but all the outlets worked.

All the 110 a/c works fine, the 12v d/c is still up in the air.

The 63 is very usable now, but still needs lots of work and cleaning. The p o was the third owner. He let it sit for about 5 years. I plan to start with the wheels, axles, tires, and towing equipment first and work my way up from there. Being a deputy sheriff and not a bank president doesnt leave much time or money, but...hey, the grand canyon started with a creek. Any advice would be great and I'm sure I'll have occasional questions. Thanks.

Oh...Two more things. I will have pics soon and I gave $2K for the 63. What do you think?
I think you stole it...
1963 was the last year Airstream didn't prep for a roof air conditioner. Ours originally came to us with a ( Very) early 1970's Coleman roof air mounted in the kitchen vent position. I replaced it with a late 1970's Coleman unit. Much of the renovations we have done have been accomplished using hand-me-down and castoff parts that others removed while they were upgrading. It's a great way to save money on a rehab, although there are some things I would only put on new, like axles, tires, brakes, shocks, etc. If your Overlander still has the window and frame to go back in the front, that would be a great place to start. There is also a thread here pointing to inexpensive new and takeoff appliances. There is an RV dealership in central Florida that sells 15,000btu Carrier roof air conditioners on Ebay for about half list price, I bought one last summer for a friend's RV, it was $575 delivered, including a heat strip.
It's too bad you are so far away, I have many local resources to help save you some cash on the things you will eventually need, the savings on a new set of Marathon tires would pay your gas money down and back...
The 12 volt sustem is going to be a collage of "stuff", that is pretty much how it was built, 1963 was the final year before the Univolt. That is good and bad, it means you can get by with a small automatic battery charger, although a converter would be a good upgrade. I put our comverter under the kitchen cabinet, next to the battery box.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #193
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Thanks for sending them, JB, they did in fact arrive, but besides looking to make sure the box didn't look like the fridge I sent you , I haven't been able to look them over. They are in the garage, and this weekend when my brother comes over, I will ask him to pull then out so we can look them over. Marie just had surgery yesterday, and has a pretty severe weight restriction.
If the parts looked like the missing part in the photo below, they are right:
Houston (or Cape Canaveral in your case) we have a problem.

I sent the end cap of the roller, with the spring/tensioner rod that fits down into the roller. I have the pieces you picture in the end of the arm, but mine are a solid cast aluminum? They're definitely not plastic. Other than that they should be the same. It's a two piece setup. I'll have to dig out the upper half from wherever I placed it, and drill the rivet out of the arms to remove the bottom half.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63overlander.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	36737  
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-03-2007, 04:59 AM   #194
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Houston (or Cape Canaveral in your case) we have a problem.

I sent the end cap of the roller, with the spring/tensioner rod that fits down into the roller. I have the pieces you picture in the end of the arm, but mine are a solid cast aluminum? They're definitely not plastic. Other than that they should be the same. It's a two piece setup. I'll have to dig out the upper half from wherever I placed it, and drill the rivet out of the arms to remove the bottom half.
JB, the end should be cast aluminum, or pot metal. The one roller doesn't work so good on ours, so maybe the parts you sent can still be used, although I do need the end cap assemblies.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #195
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
The P O did what!

He cut the 7 flat plug off. Do you know, or do you know a link, for the proper way to hook up a new one. What I need is what colored wire goes to what pin. (2005 Ford). Are they all the same? I found a manual for a 65 Overlander on the VAC site and it gives a good diagram. Is it the same as 63? Thanks for any help.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #196
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
He cut the 7 flat plug off. Do you know, or do you know a link, for the proper way to hook up a new one. What I need is what colored wire goes to what pin. (2005 Ford). Are they all the same? I found a manual for a 65 Overlander on the VAC site and it gives a good diagram. Is it the same as 63? Thanks for any help.
Again, yes and no. The industry standard for umbilicals changed in the late 70's, the colors are the same, but the positions are different. I'll dig up a diagram for you before tomorow.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #197
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Take Two...

Ok - These should be what you're looking for now, double checking before I ship them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0688.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	36782  
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #198
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Ok - These should be what you're looking for now, double checking before I ship them.
Those do look suspiciously like I need. My doctor has graciously allowed me to do some stuff, maybe I can con, er, talk someone into assisting me with installing them.
With any luck, between those parts and the ones you already sent, the awning should again function as intended.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #199
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The final upgrade?

As I write this, I have listed Goliath for sale here in the forums classfieds. Our personal disasters of the last few months have forced us in this direction, kicking and screaming. All is not lost, as we are considering this an opportunity to explore other living options, like divesting ourselves of "stuff", and perhaps eventually fulltiming in another unit in the future. It is said that when one door closes, another opens, and I hope this is the case here. But I still feel like I listed my kid for sale.

As this adventure comes to a close, I leave you with a photo of the last thing I did to Goliath. I found a really cool clock for the galley wall. The one I had previously installed there suddenly started keeping its own time. It might be accurate on Mars, but there is no way our days are 27.5 hours long. New batteries didn't help, so it was unceremoniously yanked, and replaced with this one. That'll teach it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 026.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	37079  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #200
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Sad News

I certainly hate to hear the sad news. Our 63 Overlnder chapter is just beginning as yours is sadly closing. I agree with you in that where one door closes another opens. I have enjoyed reading every post on your thread. You have shared so much that I have been able to learn from. Hang in there. You'll be suffering aluminum withdrawal before you know it. I hope to see you around the forum.

May we meet someday on a large boat in the middle of the ocean.

Praying for you...your friend,

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander