Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2005, 08:30 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Another 60s Overlander ....

We are making a similar Overlander journey. We recently rescued a early 62 Overlander from Ohio and brought it back to Florida. It has a bit of history associated with it as it is one of the ~40 Airstreams to go on the Around the World Caravan in 63/64. They shipped the trailers to Singapore and drove across SE Asia, India, Iran, Irag, Jordan , Europe, Russia , Sweden, Norway France and Spain. They shipped the trailers back to the US from Spain.

The Overlander is in sad shape now and needs everything. I have put some pictures on a Blog at :

http://62overlander.blogspot.com/

I'll add more as we start working on it.

Herb
63 Globetrotter #1861
62 Overlander #5289
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:28 AM   #42
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hi Terry-sounds like you are having a lot o fun! what size and location will your new grey tank be?
Yhe grey tank is a standard mid-70's grey tank fom an Argosy 22, somewhere between 7-10 gallons. I am going to locate it in a location similar to where it was located on the Argosy, aft of the axles, about two feet forward of the rear of the body. Inside the belly pan. I have the galvanized tray it sat in, and will fab up new braces to hold it in place, the ones from the Argosy were nothing more than strings of rust. I felt that the small grey tank would work in that area of the rtailer, without having to modify the frame other than installing the braces. The tank will never have fluids in it while it is being towed. All together, the tank, tray, and PVC pipes will weight around 30 pounds empty, and should not be a large detriment to the balance of the trailer while towing.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #43
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Spies
We are making a similar Overlander journey. We recently rescued a early 62 Overlander from Ohio and brought it back to Florida. It has a bit of history associated with it as it is one of the ~40 Airstreams to go on the Around the World Caravan in 63/64. They shipped the trailers to Singapore and drove across SE Asia, India, Iran, Irag, Jordan , Europe, Russia , Sweden, Norway France and Spain. They shipped the trailers back to the US from Spain.

The Overlander is in sad shape now and needs everything. I have put some pictures on a Blog at :

http://62overlander.blogspot.com/

I'll add more as we start working on it.

Herb
63 Globetrotter #1861
62 Overlander #5289
Herb, it sounds like you are also going to have fun. Let me know if you need anything for your "new" Overlander. If it is something that still works, and I am upgrading and replacing on ours, we can work out a deal for it.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #44
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Plugging leaks

I had surgery last Wednesday, so the work on the Overlander has slowed considerably. However, I felt well enough today to go out and check for leaks. It has been torrentially raining off and on here for the last 6 days, when I looked around, I found a minor leak at the front cubside windows, a minor leak at the front streeside windows, and a minor leak at the front window. About 45 minutes later, I think I got all the leaks, but the next monsoon should tell for sure.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
...I think I got all the leaks, but the next monsoon should tell for sure.
I think I told my wife that about four times before I got all of them!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:51 AM   #46
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW

Tom
Let me live in my little dream world, at least until the next rain...
Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Let me live in my little dream world, at least until the next rain...
Hope you have a quick, complete recovery. I, too, have been checking the trailer out after rains. So far so good. And then I think I get to go through this whole thing again with the plumbing...

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:06 AM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
New photos

Since I can't get much else accomplished, I thought I would take a few "after" photos and post them for your enjoyment. This first one is of the "Newsed" A/C unit installed on the trailer. It works okay, but only has "high" speed fan:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000663.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	12666  
Old 06-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #49
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Next is the "newsed" fridge:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000659.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	12667  
Old 06-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #50
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And the modern water heater. Note the leaking galvanized fresh water tank has gone away, never to be seen again by man or beast:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000660.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	12668  
Old 06-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #51
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Not that it is installed, just sitting there, but here is a vintage 1970's PAR 12v water pump, in working condition. It is sitting where it will eventually be permanently attached:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000662.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	12669  
Old 06-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #52
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
No more mobile prison transport unit

When we got the trailer, it had aluminum slats, or bars, on the windows, making it feel like you were a prisoner in your own Airstream. I drilled out the rivets holding these slats to the screens, and re-installed the screens:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000657.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	12671  
Old 06-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #53
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And then Code Enforcement reared its ugly head...

The city where we live has a (very) strict set of codes as far as what can and can't be done in our city. They actually have patrollmen out looking for violations, as opposed to most cities, which act upon complaints. I have to move my trailer away from the house for 48 hours, before returning it for no more than 72 hours at a time. I have to call and get a permit to park the trailer here, even overnight when we are going on a trip in the morning. I think I am going to move back to North Fort Myers...
My neighbor behind me uses his own van for his business, it is his daily driver. He was just told, if he wants to continue parking it at his house, he will have to buy blank magnetic signs to completely cover the business name and phone number, because commercial vehicles are not allowed to be parked at home, either.
All this was covered in another thread, so I won't go any further, except to say their timing is impeccable.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:38 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
What a bunch of darn NIMBYs! I really don't understand all the resistance to RVs--or commercial vehicles. Is there any chance that you could keep it home legally if you parked it in an inconspicous place? Some towns allow RV parking in back yards.

Still, I've heard that Florida towns tend to be more restrictive on RV parking than in other parts of the country.

Mary
Old 06-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #55
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Is there any chance that you could keep it home legally if you parked it in an inconspicous place? Some towns allow RV parking in back yards.
Mary
I have an inconspicuous parking place for it, the reason I haven't used it lately, besides working on the trailer more-or-less steadily, is the fact that the spot is about 25 miles away. And at the end of a (very) rough dirt road. And the person that owns the property is building a garage directly in front of where the trailer is usually parked, so I was leaving it here until the garage was built. According to what is on the permit, "City Code requires a permit to park RV's on any residential property. Vehicle must be removed following allowed time period". In other words, not anywhere on residential property. Back yard, side yard, doesn't matter. Oh, yeah. You also can't go to Wal-Mart with a "For Sale" sign on your car, it has to remain parked on your own improved residential property, again with a perimt. The city can (and does) tow the vehicle away without warning. Imagine going in to Wally World for a new pair of shoes, and finding out that your car has been towed, you have to pay a fine, AND, pay the towing company to get your car back !
But it is much less restrictive here, than a city on the East coast of Florida. There a business must be completely hidden behind a 6-8 foot high hedge, with no signage visible from the street. RV's there are not allowed at all, unless passing through, not even in a storage lot, not that they will allow any of those, either. But, don't get me started on code enforcement again, or this thread will take a tragic turn.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #56
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
New storage

I took the trailer over to the new storage. It is only 8 miles away from here, instead of 25, so that is a plus. I think.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #57
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I don't think this is the look I wanted

I put an L gaucho in the front of the Overlander. It is currently just sitting in there, till I can figure out if I like this, or want to go another direction. The 70's veneer seems to be at war with the 60's natural wood, not to mention it takes up most of the front of the trailer.
Can anybody spare a couch?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000664.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	12733  
Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi all

I don't like the front dinnette either, so we are thinking about getting a small love seat that opens out to a bed.
Since I'm having a knee replacement 7/12, (to many years as a nurse) I will have the time to re-cover the bed cushions and decide on window treatments.
That should keep me busy. I found some upholstery fabric in Wal mart that I like, but will probably change my mind 5 times. I'm going to use either zippers or velcro for closures so they can be taken off for dry cleaning.
It seems we are very good at making work for ourselves, doesn't it?
But I love it!!
Marie
Old 06-15-2005, 05:31 PM   #59
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW

Tom
As expected, there are still a couple of small leaks that showed themselves after the last storm we got. I will be bringing the trailer back tomorrow, after securing the necessary 72 hour permit so I can park it in the driveway again, at least for 3 days. I waited until Thursday to bring it back, so I can have it here on Sunday, also. Code enforcement doesn't work on Sundays, fortunately.
After re-repairing the 2 leaks I found, I will utilize the rest of the time to remove the remainder of the linoleum on the floor, and maybe sand the floor smooth with a belt sander. If there is any time left, I will start cleaning walls and ceilings again. Did I mention it is a large trailer, and it takes a while to clean?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #60
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
solution to the dinette problem

I found a solution to the overwhelming size of the dinette, completely by accident. I was in a local funiture store, checking out mattress cushions, floor coverings, window dressings, etc, when I noticed a love seat sitting off by itseslf. I went out and grabbed the tape measure, and it is within 1/2" of the size needed for a replacement couch. The best part is, it had been damaged while in the store, and they were getting ready to toss it in the dumpster. By an unbelievable coincidence, there was a crew there cleaning the carpets, and they do furniture and upholstery repair as a part of their business. To make a long story short, I got the love seat, gratis, and am paying a very reasonable amount for the repairs. The net of this, is I got a couch for the Overlander, for about $45, brand-new. Pattersontoo, eat your heart out!
Sometimes, you get the bear...Now, does anyone need a L Dinette for an Airstream?
I will have a photo tomorrow.

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander