Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #141
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A "new" bumper

Today I cut off the old, mangled bumper that looked like it had been straightened with a bulldozer, and installed a slightly used bumper off a 1973 Argosy. I would post a photo, but our digital camera seems to have joined Jimmy Hoffa in never-never land. As soon as I find the camera, if I ever do, I will let you know where Hoffa is.
Anyway, I cut off the old bumper with a cutting torch (why didn't Airstream bolt them on?) and welded the replacement on with a standard stick type welder. After welding the bumper on, I cut off one of the now surplus mounting brackets for the round bar stabilisers on the rear., I would have cut off the other one, but I ran out of acetylene again. Not wanting to pay another $20 right now to cut off the second one, I will wait until I need to use the torch for something else, and do it then. The acetylene comes in a tiny 5 pound or so tank that is a bit smaller than a 2 liter bottle of soda. It has been good up until now, but If I am going to do much more cutting and welding, I think I will invest in the bigger welding set.
I am dreading the floor repair job, and I am putting it off for now. Remember the procrastinator's motto: "never do today, what you can put off until tomorrow."
Old 04-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #142
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Terry, if you cut the end off a #10 tin can with shears... paint it gray, and drill it just so for riveting, it would... no, no, that would be tacky... no... I've got it!!! if you us an aluminum beer can (beer of your choice) and cut it to length just to cover the end...

Roger
Roger, I tried that today. A beer can is a bit small. What is slightly larger than a beer can?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #143
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A new camera for the new challenge.

Okay, here are the promised photos, I never did find our camera. Sigh...
We also got a set of hubcaps, slightly used from yet another forum member for the cost of postage. They were sandblasted, so most of the shine was off them, but some silver paint and a steady hand netted us four usable hubcaps. While not brand new, they do make the wheels (and the coach) look better. They will work until I come across something better, and they may well last many years like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	20774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	20775  

Old 05-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #144
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Progress at one year

Well, it's been almost a year of ownership and rehab for Goliath, and I thought I would review our original goals, see what had been done and not done, and what we had done that we hadn't even thought of.
Here is the original list, with whether we have done it or not:

Patch two small areas of soft wood in the floor, and install vinyl flooring.
Done
Install a dinette or gaucho in the front of the trailer.
Done
Replace the replacement electric only refrigerator with a LP/electric unit.
Done
Repair the old or replace with a new A/C unit.
Done
Install a modern water heater.
Done
Modernize the fresh water plumbing.
Done
Install a grey water tank.
Redirected wash water to black tank.
Replace the axles.
Not done
Replace the two window regulators on the upper left front window in the living area.
Done
Replace the back bumper.
Done
Remove the Mickey Mouse stabilizers that are on the trailer, and replace with something a little more mainstream.
In Progress, two installed, waiting for two more to drop out of the sky so I can install them.
Replace the skylight in the living area.
Done
CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!!!
Done, done, done. (still more cleaning needed)
There are other things that have been done, as time and equipment have presented themselves, such as:
Power tongue jack
Fisher LP regulator
Tinted windows
New toilet
New curtains
New hubcaps
New piano hinge for rock guard
New clearance lights
New door lock
New converter (this coach originally had no converter, only a charge line for the tow vehicle to charge the house battery)
New kitchen faucet
Install microwave in the pantry
Install new scare light
New Fantastic Fan.
With all the things we got done in the last 12 months, I don't know how I had time to work at my real job .
What are we going to do in the next year? Only time will tell, but I have a Year Two list started. Here it is:
Replace Axles
Repair/replace awning
Replace floor under the bathtub
Replace the countertop in the bathroom
Strip and repaint the inside walls
Seal up a couple of stubborn leaks
Install the other two stabilizers
Replace the air conditioner with a new (or newer) unit
Replace the rock guard insert.
I am going to tackle these things on a basis of importance, and time, as well as what we can afford to do over the course of the year. Some things are cosmetic, and will only be done when the critical repairs and upgrades are complete. I still see a lot of trips to Ace Hardware in my future, though.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #145
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Excellent job Terry and Marie. I feel your pain and congratulate you both on your efforts. The Year Two list is at least shorter than the Year One list.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #146
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Excellent job Terry and Marie. I feel your pain and congratulate you both on your efforts. The Year Two list is at least shorter than the Year One list.

Brad
FF
Thanks, Brad. It is shorter, but I'll bet it isn't cheaper. Not with axles and an A/C unit on there, anyway. Which is the main reason I have been stalling on those items, the expense. But, it's gotta be done sooner or later, and, at least with the axles, it better be sooner.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:00 PM   #147
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Nicely done. It would be interesting to see some new pics of the completed insided when you are done.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #148
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The more observant of you may have noticed that not a lot of posting has been going on lately. There is a good reason for this. I have been working 11-12 hours per day, six and seven days a week due to job problems. These have hopefully been taken care of now, and I will again have weekends to work on Goliath.
We did take Goliath camping a couple of weekends ago, and found out that the time to lower your awning is BEFORE you get heavy rains and high winds. Marie got a flying lesson by hanging on when the wind caught the awning at the moment we were lowering it. She is okay, but the awning is in worse shape than it was before.
Awning replacement has been moved up on the "to do" list as a result...
Old 06-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #149
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Okay, here are the promised photos, I never did find our camera. Sigh...
We also got a set of hubcaps, slightly used from yet another forum member for the cost of postage. They were sandblasted, so most of the shine was off them, but some silver paint and a steady hand netted us four usable hubcaps. While not brand new, they do make the wheels (and the coach) look better. They will work until I come across something better, and they may well last many years like this.
Nice hubcaps!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #150
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Nice hubcaps!
Thanks! The guy that sent them along to us seems to be a nice guy, too.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #151
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Has this ever happened to you?

I would like to report that this weekend will be spent plumbing in Goliath's onboard water supply, doing some more cleaning, and maybe shoring up the floor under the bathtub so we can use it until I can get a chance to pull it out and replace the floor under it.
That is what I would like to report.
Unfortunately, I probably won't be doing any of those things. Oh, the Overlander will be at our house, but it will be there because I was notified our storage rates (supposedly guaranteed by a lease and deposit) will be going up more than 400% in less than 30 hours. Talk about getting a lot of notice! Since I can't afford almost $200 a month to store our coach, I will probably spend most of Saturday, at least, on the phone with all the storage places in the area, trying to find a new home for our aluminum child. Since Saturday is the first of the month, and the start of a long holiday weekend, I don't anticipate an easy time of it. I know the other tenents of the storage facility got the same news, and gave the same response to the person on the other end of the phone that I did, as I had to wait in line to get in the place, and out again. I am afraid I used language toward the person on the other end of the phone I have not used since I dressed down a sailor reporting late for watch, while drunk. I feel sorry for the seasonal residents, that keep their trailers, motorhomes, and caars there, as they will have no choice but to pay the increased price until they come back down here this fall, and can move out.
Has anyone else had an astronomical jump in their storage rates without warning, or am I the first (and hopefully the last)?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #152
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Has anyone else had an astronomical jump in their storage rates without warnikng, or am I the first (and hopefully the last)?
Yes, we did. When we had the TradeWind in storage, it ended up doubling in cost over 8 weeks. I made some room in my ware house to keep it there, which is where the 63 sleeps now.
You can't keep it at home somehow? can you widen your access and put it next to the house? CC&R's ?
Man, this stinks!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:52 AM   #153
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Yes, we did. When we had the TradeWind in storage, it ended up doubling in cost over 8 weeks. I made some room in my ware house to keep it there, which is where the 63 sleeps now.
You can't keep it at home somehow? can you widen your access and put it next to the house? CC&R's ?
Man, this stinks!
I can't keep it here more than three days, because code enforcement says we can't. The thing that really bugs me is the just over 24 hours' notice I was given. The new owners of the facility claim that since they are new owners, all previous leases and contracts are null and void. Fine. Give me 30 days' notice, as is the absolute minimum stipulated in any lease for increases or changes. Supposedly the new owners do not have any other businesses in the area, if they did, I would be sure not to frequent those places as well.
Suddenly, a more rural setting is looking more appealing to us...
Old 07-01-2006, 08:35 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi all,
Fortunately we found a storage place in the area for less than the mortgage on the house. Terry will be taking it back after next weekend. We are going to the Alafaia River campground with 2 new owners of SOB's for their maiden voyages. Terry is out helping my sister obtain the safety gear for her new one, then he will install the brake controller in their expedition and later this afternoon he will be going with them to pick their new child up with our tow vehickle and teaching them how to hook up and tow. Then I get to go shopping to help her buy all the gear she needs. Love to spend other peoples money!! He has been helping several people repair, and restore their new/used coaches. I wish they had purchased an Airstream, but they opted for SOB's. At least they will be able to camp and have fun with us. More to follow after the great campout next weekend.

Marie
Old 07-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #155
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Onboard water now up to "Par"

Hi again.
In spite of the ol' Funometer pegging out early in the weeekend, and staying there until late this afternoon, I was able to get the onboard fresh water system hooked up and working this evening.
I managed to get two nonfunctional Par water pumps, and remove the working motor from the leaking pump assembly, and install it on the working pump. Two more trips to Ace Hardware netted me all the stuff I needed to make this happen. This was kind of important since we are now a month into Hurricane Season, and I remember the last two years' worth of storms we had. Out fresh water tank is only about 15 gallons, but that is enough to get by for a couple of days' careful use, provided we omit showers for a while. It works out to a black water tank, plus about 5 gallons to use for hand washing and tooth brushing.
The pump is mounted under the streetside bed, along with the water tank, water heater, and pipes.
The pump works well, although seems to be about as quiet as a cement truck. Here are a few photos of the latest adventure in plumbing:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 016.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	23126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 017.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	23127  

Old 07-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #156
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I also wired the old air pump switch to operate the "newsed" Par pump.
The 1963 vintage switch belies the updated plumbing:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 018.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	23128  
Old 07-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #157
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This weekend we actually got to use our trailer, instead of just working on it! Wahoo!
The new water pump worked as intended, nothing leaked, in spite of a deluge nearly washing us out of the campground, and causing the evening movie to be cancelled. We even ran into another Airstream product owner while we were there. It wasn't a coincidence, as we had arranged to camp there at the same time as fellow forum member Brett (thenewkid64).
Our newbie camping friends and relatives that joined us had a good time, in spite of the rain we had. One set of campers found out why they couldn't take 20 minute per person showers while using a grey water tank , and had to borrow our blue wastewater tote to empty their tank.
Here are a few photos of our coach, Brett's Argosy, and a photo of what the state of the art looks like in SOB trailers :
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 023.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	23386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 024.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	23387  

Name:	Picture 026.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	23388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 027.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	23389  

Name:	Picture 029.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	23390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 030.jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	23391  

Name:	Picture 025.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	23392  
Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #158
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Not much has been doen to Goliath lately, as I have been concentrating my resources on modifying out "new" tow vehicle for regular use. There are not many people that can say they acquired an antique truck to pull their antique Airstream, and the antique truck is less than half the age of their trailer.
We are now the proud owners of a 1986 Ford F250 diesel, long bed, extended cab pickup. It is in remarkably good condition for its age, in fact, it is cleaner than many trucks I looked at ten years newer. The color leaves something to be desired, but if that is all I can complain about, it is a minor thing.
I spent a weekend removing some wierd brackets off the bed, and wiring the trailer connector plug for something approaching industry standard to match Goliath, then adjusted the hitch so the trailer sat level when hooked to the truck, and with WD bars cinched up. I also removed several funny brackets for the rearview mirrors on the doors so it looks a bit less like the Beverly Hillbillies just rolled into town. A short trip to Myakka River State Park campground was uneventful, although on the return trip a suicidal bird decided to use our windshield as his final resting place... "Hello, Geico?" We now have a brand-new windshield in our 21 year old truck.
I took several photos of the camping trip, and campground, but I used a friend's camera, and took the pictures too large for the forum. You will have to take my word for it, it was a cool place to camp.
Here is a photo of the newest addition to the fleet, a replacement for the Chevy conversion van: (bear in mind the mirror brackets shown are already gone)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 035.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	24883  
Old 08-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #159
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Terry, looks like a brute! Judging from the tailgate, this truck might have experience towing a 5th wheel. Congrats on the new-to-you truck!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #160
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Terry, looks like a brute! Judging from the tailgate, this truck might have experience towing a 5th wheel. Congrats on the new-to-you truck!
Thanks, Uwe. It had the brackets for the fifth wheel still in the bed, which partly explains the odd mirror arrangement. The wiring connector was mounted in the bed as well. It also has twin US Gear overdrive units in it, so fuel mileage on the road while towing rivals that of newer trucks. One thing I noticed soon after picking the truck up, it doesn't do U-turns very well, unless you are in an open field. I have already purchased a solid replacement tailgate, as the iopen gate looks a bit too, umm, err, "country"..Yeah, that's it! It looks too "country" for me...
Also, somewhere along the way we started naming our equipment. Since the truck is large, brown, hulking, and graceless (imagine driving a slalom course with it!), it has been christened Moose. It seems to fit.
I am able to run away from traffic at traffic lights, while towing Goliath.

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander