Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #281
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Thanks Cat and Marie!

He's a really neat trailer. I've been waiting all night for it to get light again so I could go back out and admire him once again!

776 posts, and, FINALLY an Airstream! And, with a "history"!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #282
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
776 posts, and, FINALLY an Airstream! And, with a "history"!
Nice observation! Marcus' search was indeed CLASSIC and an instructive HOW TO! Congratulations again!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #283
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks guys, at one point Todd stated that I seemed to be on more of a Visionquest than a Search, and he was probably pretty darn close to the truth!

But either way, it feels wonderful to have finally settled on one, and for it to be such a great trailer with "history" is just that much better.

And someone (ahem... TODD...) has accused me of witholding pictures, so I downloaded some of the ones I already had, and took some more tonight. I'll post them at the bottom of this message.

The current state of Goliath is this-- all 110VAC on and working, AC blowing but not cold (as Cat had already informed me before the sale), converter plugged in but Fantastic fan still not coming on, the fuse is good so I'm sure I just need to wiggle everything a bit. There's a known hole in the rubber LPG line so I'll replace both of those lines on Saturday and turn on the gas systems, and I'll also hook up City Water and make sure I haven't sprung any leaks in transit. The goal is to get all of the systems back online and do some camping this Fall, and then I'll take the whole thing offline starting in the late Fall to repair the known floor damage at the rear of the coach under the tub. At that point I also plan to redo the plumbing per Terry's suggestion, and I'll make some changes to the rear bath and possible the bedroom area all at the same time. That will likely take me through Winter and into Spring, so at that point I'll bring her back online, camp through Spring and Summer, and schedule the galley and lounge renovations for Winter 2009/2010.

That's the plan anyway, and here are the pictures I promised:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5344.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	64839   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5346.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	64840  

Name:	100_5347.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	64841   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5349.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	64842  

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #284
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
More Pictures...

Inside
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5350.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	64847   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5351.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	64848  

Name:	100_5353.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	64849   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5352.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	64850  

Name:	100_5354.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	64851   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5357.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	64852  

Name:	100_5355.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	64853  
Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #285
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
NICE PICS, THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #286
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marcus, Goliath looks good on the road again.
The mirror in the bathroom pivots outward from the bottom so you don't have to scrunch over the see to shave. It's possible the battery terminal ends have corrosion keeping things from connecting, or the fuse on the Fantastic itself may be blown. It does have to be open a good way before the cutoff switch will allow the fan to come on. It needs to be set "in" or "out", and the fan speed switch needs to be on "1" "2" or "3", in order for the fan to run.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 AM   #287
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Marcus, Goliath looks good on the road again.
The mirror in the bathroom pivots outward from the bottom so you don't have to scrunch over the see to shave. It's possible the battery terminal ends have corrosion keeping things from connecting, or the fuse on the Fantastic itself may be blown. It does have to be open a good way before the cutoff switch will allow the fan to come on. It needs to be set "in" or "out", and the fan speed switch needs to be on "1" "2" or "3", in order for the fan to run.
Terry, I really am delighted to have Goliath and be putting him back on the road. I've pulled a lot of different trailers in my life, and not one of them pulled anywhere close to as nice as Goliath.

And thanks for the tips, I had just noticed that about the mirror last night, that's a very cool design. I'll check the battery terminals for the 12V system-- is there anything else on the coach that runs only on 12V that might help me isolate the problem to (or away from) the Fantastic Fan? I checked its fuse and it was good, so it could be a loose wire somewhere, or another blown fuse inline, or terminal corrosion as you suggested, or...?

Thanks for the help on the PMs earlier this week, and I'll probably send you another today. As always, thanks for your help!

Edit: One other thing, I found a Fantastic Fan ballcap in the front storage compartment over the gaucho, is that yours? If so, I plan to wear it to my first rally with pride! And hopefully someday I'll get the chance to meet you in person, where I'd be happy to return it to you (washed of course) if you'd like it. It looks brand new!

-Marcus
Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #288
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Congratulations Marcus. The Return of Goliath continues into its known third chapter. So glad to see you've finally landed one and one with a forums' history.

Better get that Fantastic Fan running before your advertise it on your head.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #289
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Hey Marcus, thanks for finally givin' up the photos! It's a beauty. Now I'm beginning to recognize your vision of these 60's models! Oppps...I'd better stick to what I'm working on before I start vision questing too.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #290
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marcus, the Fantastic Fan hat came with the installation of the fan, and I feel that it should go with the fan, kind of like owner's manuals for cars. We were at the Florida State Rally, and the Fantastic people offered to install it in "any Airstream" for $69... Suckers... 2 hours+ later, both Fantastic guys, sweating and cursing, finally got the thing installed. I then asked if they would install one in place of the Astradome in the living room. "Uhhh, we'll let you know" they both said, and you could actually see smoke rising from their shoes from the speed of their departure...
Old 08-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #291
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
I passed along Goliath's belongings, including the hat, flamingo, and the kitchen clock!

I'm glad you found it!
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #292
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkat View Post
I passed along Goliath's belongings, including the hat, flamingo, and the kitchen clock!

I'm glad you found it!
Yes, the clock is up on the wall and is a crowd favorite. The cap sat on my head through most of today's work, and Floyd sits in the garage, patiently waiting for me to repair a few broken bulbs,

On Friday night I had a few friends over to celebrate the Overlander's homecoming. We deployed the awning and sat under it drinking BEvERages until the wee hours of the morning.

Saturday, I purchased two new LPG rubber hoses and installed them, then tested the stovetop burners and oven which lit up instantly with no problems. Below are pictues of the old and new hoses. I couldn't get the water heater pilot to light (though honestly I spent very little time troubleshooting. And I have not yet attempted to light up the Dometic 3-way refer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5371.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	64964   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5374.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	64965  

Name:	100_5373.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	600.8 KB
ID:	64966   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5372.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	64967  

Old 08-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #293
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
I couldn't get the water heater pilot to light (though honestly I spent very little time troubleshooting. And I have not yet attempted to light up the Dometic 3-way refer.
The water heater is furthest from the LP tanks, and will take the longest to get the air out of the lines so it can light.
When you turn the fridge to "GAS", you will hear the igniter clicking. Push the ignition button in until you hear the igniter stop clicking. When that happens, the fridge has lit.
It gets cold faster than most absorbtion fridges I have been around, about 3 hours or so on lp.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #294
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The water heater is furthest from the LP tanks, and will take the longest to get the air out of the lines so it can light.
When you turn the fridge to "GAS", you will hear the igniter clicking. Push the ignition button in until you hear the igniter stop clicking. When that happens, the fridge has lit.
It gets cold faster than most absorbtion fridges I have been around, about 3 hours or so on lp.
Great tips, thanks Terry! I'm on that today, as well as nailing down the 12V issue which I've spent zero time on so far (although last night I actually had a dream that I solved it!). None of the 12V lights are coming on either, so I'm going to check all of the connections first, I'm guessing it's something simple at the origin of the circuit.

I also went ahead and ordered a new rooftop AC unit from the supplier that Terry recommended. Talked to the installer on the phone and when he found out I was putting it on an Airstream, he had several good tips on how to help it fit the curvature of the roof. He took about 15 minutes to talk to me even though he was out on an install at the time. Heck of a nice guy.

-Marcus
Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #295
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Lots of progress today, mostly all just the learning curve for me since I've never had an RV of any kind. Terry already had all of these systems working before, so I've just got to un-mothball them.

So I was able to find a blown fuse in the 12V fuse block, replaced it, and now all of the 12V lighting and fans work, both the kitchen exhaust fan and the Fantastic Fan!

Also was able to light the hot water heater and the Dometic 3-way refrigerator on LPG, so the entire LPG system is now checked out and confirmed working. Well, not quite, I still haven't tested the little Humphrey propane lamp, but that can wait. It's just too hot to worry about it, at least until I install the new AC.

As soon as the new AC goes in, hopefully late this week, I'll be ready to take her camping!

-Marcus
Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #296
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marcus, if the mantle is still intact, all you have to do is move the lever (valve) open, and apply a match. It will light, and you can adjust the amount of light with the lever. It also adjusts the heat...
The furnace doesn't work, and hasn't worked in decades. I tried it, and had no joy.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:21 AM   #297
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Marcus, you are a luck man to have a PO that works with ya not against ya... Thank you Terry for helping out the Rookie.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #298
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Hi guys!

I ended up pulling out my furnace and patching the hole. We use a portable electric heater in the winters and it heats up the trailer just fine. Not to mention it's 1/10th the size and weighs nothing! Another positive will be al that space gained under the sink. My furnace was huge, heavy, rusty, and full of wasp nests! I patched the hole on the outside with a left over piece of aluminum from the Silver Pickle project, and you can't even tell anything is missing.

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #299
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
Hi guys!

I ended up pulling out my furnace and patching the hole. We use a portable electric heater in the winters and it heats up the trailer just fine. Not to mention it's 1/10th the size and weighs nothing! Another positive will be al that space gained under the sink. My furnace was huge, heavy, rusty, and full of wasp nests! I patched the hole on the outside with a left over piece of aluminum from the Silver Pickle project, and you can't even tell anything is missing.

JP
We used a hot oil portable heater in Goliath. Marcus may find it in a closet in the back. Removing the furnace was a big improvement as far as storage space in Bertha, so it would not be a bad thing in this case. If that happens, what we did was install a skin over the holes in the skin and put the furnace cover back over the patch.
Marcus, don't lose the cover from your furncae....
Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #300
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Awesome to have help from the experts!

Yes indeed Frank, I am a total n00b, so I'm delighted that my uninformed and rambling postings amuse you!

Terry-- yes, found the heater in the SS wardrobe, and it should do just fine. We do the majority of our camping in the South and in the Summer,so we don't have much need of one either.

JP-- Yeah, I think we'd patch the hole as you did when we pull the furnace. Of course, I kind of like the way the diffuser looks on the outside of the shell, so I might still consider incorporating it into the patch to maintain the vintagey look. I'd also like to find an old water heater diffuser from the era and graft that onto the current replacement water heater cover. Frank did this on his '62 and it looks really cool.

Thanks to all for your tips and insights!

-Marcus

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander