Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #301
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post

JP-- Yeah, I think we'd patch the hole as you did when we pull the furnace. Of course, I kind of like the way the diffuser looks on the outside of the shell, so I might still consider incorporating it into the patch to maintain the vintagey look. I'd also like to find an old water heater diffuser from the era and graft that onto the current replacement water heater cover. Frank did this on his '62 and it looks really cool.

Thanks to all for your tips and insights!

-Marcus

Marcus,

I installed a new Suburban Furance this year. I would be glad to give you the old heat diffuser. Just PM your shipping info-----one more item out of the garage!
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #302
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
The Airstream Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea View Post
Marcus,

I installed a new Suburban Furance this year. I would be glad to give you the old heat diffuser. Just PM your shipping info-----one more item out of the garage!
Thanks so much Rick, that would be fantastic, PM coming in a moment!

Frank likes to talk about The Airstream Spirit-- that attitude of camraderie and sharing that ties Airstreamers together in a way that very few other shared ownership experiences ever do. It is clear that Rick is filled up with The Airstream Spirit!

Thanks again!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #303
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Thanks so much Rick, that would be fantastic, PM coming in a moment!

Frank likes to talk about The Airstream Spirit-- that attitude of camraderie and sharing that ties Airstreamers together in a way that very few other shared ownership experiences ever do. It is clear that Rick is filled up with The Airstream Spirit!

Thanks again!

-Marcus
Thanks Marcus! My wife has found a direct correlation between "The Airstream Spririt" and a low checking account balance. Sometimes she has a differnet name for "The Airstream Spirit"!
Old 08-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #304
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Thanks Marcus! My wife has found a direct correlation between "The Airstream Spririt" and a low checking account balance. Sometimes she has a differnet name for "The Airstream Spirit"!
Ha! I suspect my wife will feel the same as yours in short order...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #305
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Art Project

In '63 on some of the International models, the refrigerator had this very cool design on the face of it. If you look at the picture of my avatar which I like to call "The Gentleman Airstreamer" you will see an artist's rendering of it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good way to get a blown-up version screen-printed onto some kind of substrate that I could then insert into the facing panel of my Dometic refrigerator? Any artsy folks out there know how to do this? Here's a picture off another thread here on the Forums, this one belongs to BigEasy63:

Any ideas...?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #306
Rivet Master

I have an original one of those from a 1963 (actually I have 2!) They are very cool and very rare.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #307
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey Richard, looks like the trailer you hooked Terry and Marie up with many years ago is now here with me in Austin!

Do you think you could take a high-res photo of the front of one of those refrigerators and send it to me?

Thanks,
-Marcus
Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #308
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Last week I received my new Carrier AirV low-profile AC w/ heat strip, and promptly ripped the old one out. It's now been a couple of days, but it's no big deal, because I live in Central Texas where the concepts of Rain and August are mutually exclusive.

I spent some time yesterday cleaning the opening up preparing for the new unit, so I'm going to perform the installation this evening. I had a question about whether or not to use any extra sealant in addition to the existing roof unit gasket that came pre-applied to the unit, and it was answered with a resounding "No" right here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...tml#post602037

In reading through many resto/reno threads, my favorite style is where the main thread covers the big-picture topics, and sub-threads are referenced when specific questions come up. So that is how I will approach my updates.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done with the AC installation.

-Marcus
Old 08-12-2008, 04:22 AM   #309
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
WOW! You are motivated!!! WOnderfull! Did you get the keys in the mail???
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #310
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkat View Post
WOW! You are motivated!!! WOnderfull! Did you get the keys in the mail???
I sure did Cat, thanks so much for sending them. I feel better with the deadbolt locked.

I'm also still looking for a way to get the spare from Atlanta to Austin, and I appreciate you holding onto it.

I hope everything is going well for you and yours, and that things are coming back together for you.

Take Care!
-Marcus
Old 08-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #311
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I've got the carrier low profile on mine, too. They're great!

post pics!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #312
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Last week I received my new Carrier AirV low-profile AC w/ heat strip, and promptly ripped the old one out.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done with the AC installation.

-Marcus
Marcus,

That's the model of A/C unit I installed in my Overlander. I think it looks & works great. Good luck with the installation.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #313
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
I've got the carrier low profile on mine, too. They're great!

post pics!

jp
JP-- I will, as soon as you reply to the long-winded PM I sent you last week!

Just kidding, I'm actually having problems "managing attachments" for some reason. It has worked before, but some setting must have been changed. As soon as I clear that up, I'll post the pics. (But if you wouldn't mind replying to the PM, that would be great. I asked a couple of questions about things that I am almost getting to now...)

And in the meantime, you can read about it on my blog here:

Austin Aluminitus

Rick-- it is done, and the install went smoothly, aside from me spending about half of Sunday looking for a part I did not need...

-Marcus
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #314
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You searched for parts you did not need because you did not read the instructions. I actually told you to read it before bed and after you wake up. IF you had read them, you would have known you did not need to go searching and wasting time. Remember our skype conversation? I even advised you to try and dream of some naked women installing it for you while you sleep? Do you remember that one?

Folks, I told Marcus repeatedly to read the instructions and follow them exactly. Greenhorn mistake....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #315
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
You searched for parts you did not need because you did not read the instructions. I actually told you to read it before bed and after you wake up. IF you had read them, you would have known you did not need to go searching and wasting time. Remember our skype conversation? I even advised you to try and dream of some naked women installing it for you while you sleep? Do you remember that one?

Folks, I told Marcus repeatedly to read the instructions and follow them exactly. Greenhorn mistake....
All quite true. But at the same time, I did have both a Craftsman and a Panel Pro telling me I needed to use two different kinds of sealant...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #316
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
... no, you were insistent on needing sealant and we were advising you of the various types and where they could be obtained, even possibly on a Sunday. Professional "FREE" advise I might add. We were of the impression that you had indeed read the installation instructions and because of that you were in need of vulkem, which turned into you needing putty tape. It evolved further into buthyl tape being a little better than putty tape. The bottom line is if the instructions had been read, we would be talking about how perfect it turned out.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #317
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
... no, you were insistent on needing sealant and we were advising you of the various types and where they could be obtained, even possibly on a Sunday. Professional "FREE" advise I might add. We were of the impression that you had indeed read the installation instructions and because of that you were in need of vulkem, which turned into you needing putty tape. It evolved further into buthyl tape being a little better than putty tape. The bottom line is if the instructions had been read, we would be talking about how perfect it turned out.
Well, I suppose that's ONE way to look at it.

And it did turn out perfectly, no worries here.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #318
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
If it makes you feel any better, Marcus, I had to use sealant (read: RE-seal) around some areas of my original Armstrong as part of the restoration process of the A/C unit.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #319
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Marcus,

I thought I'd send you the "history" of the heat diffuser that I sent you. Looks like that thing has made it's way around-from Canada to Austin to Mississippi back to Austin. Wildcat455 (he restored old Buicks) later changed his name to 61Overlander.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...over-4971.html
Old 08-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #320
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Marcus,

I thought I'd send you the "history" of the heat diffuser that I sent you. Looks like that thing has made it's way around-from Canada to Austin to Mississippi back to Austin. Wildcat455 (he restored old Buicks) later changed his name to 61Overlander.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...over-4971.html
That is great, thanks Rick! It's so cool to see a post from 5 years ago discussing a part from 47 years ago, that is now in my hands. Thats one of the very best things about these Forums, and Airstreamers in general.

Jim-- Yup, makes me feel better, thanks for the "chin-up" pep talk!

I'm still having trouble loading pictures, I've tried from several different systems now and when I hit the "Manage Attachments" button, nothing happens. I've disabled all pop-up blockers that I can, but I'm still not getting the pop-up where I can browse to load pictures.

In the meantime, for anyone who just can't wait to see pictures, you can check out my blog for the details. I've been told I'm still missing the "money shot" of the AC sitting atop the trailer, an oversight on my part but I hope you can forgive me, as it was getting dark by the time I finished, and I'd had a few beers, and then had to go mix up some margaritas.

-Marcus

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander