Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Cancel the wave. Go to him and throw money for the 40 gallon gas tank.
I will be at work, or further north if we have to evacuate our residents.
Florida and the gulf coast has a new theme song
"Here we Go again"

Marie
Old 10-19-2005, 07:08 PM   #102
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Post evacuation 101

For those of you that have never had to evacuate your home for an impending natural disaster, but are curious about what has to be done, I will give you a fast rundown.
First, fill your car (or tow vehicle) with gas. Then go to your local ATM, and withdraw several hundred dollars for use during your upcoming adventure. When a hurricane strikes, power and phones are usually the first to go, and ATM's need both to function.
After you do this, go to your pharmacy and get refills on any prescriptions you may run low on over the next couple of weeks, and while you are there, pick up any items you may need for your first aid kit that you are taking with you. If you have pets, as we do, make arrangments to kennel them, or take them with you, again as we do. If you take them, don't forget to take enough food for them for several days. This is one main reason I take the trailer and leave town, shelters don't allow pets, and I won't leave our animals behind.
Take a flat of bottled water, and some canned or non-perishable packaged food, and a non-electric can opener. You never know when you may get stuck in traffic, or your car may break down, and you will have to wait a while for help, if you are where you can wait. Now, you should also take a roll of toilet paper with you, for the above reason.
Pack some clothes, such as jeans, and permanent press shirts or blouses, stuff that will not look like it has been hanging in the back of your car for a week, even if it has been. Underwear and socks are needed, also, as well as a second pair of shoes, in case your first pair gets wet. Make sure they are comfortable for walking, you may have to leave your car, and walk some distance.
Now, you are almost ready to leave, you just have to take your insurance papers for your home, in case it is destroyed while you are gone, and your personal papers (birth certificates, etc.), and your little black book with all your friends' and familiy's phone numbers in it, so you can contact them, and let them know you are safe.
In addition to all that stuff, since I am taking a slightly smaller version of our house with me, I will also be taking several cases of canned goods, flats of bottled water, towels, litterbox for our cat, soap, bedclothes, frozen foods, sodas, and a spare tank of propane.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:16 PM   #103
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Well, I made it there, and back, with no problems to speak of. I arrived at my evacuation zone 11PM Saturday night, hooked up electric and water, walked the dog, and went to bed.
Sunday morning dawned gloomy and windy, with rain squalls throughout the day. It seemed like a good day to work inside the trailer, so that is what I did. I found a local Ace Hardware (I really should get a frequent buyer's club card), and picked up a dremel tool to grind down the round pivots on a pair of window mechanisms I picked up at a mobile home supply store. After grinding the pivots down, the mechanisms went right in with no problem. Now that I know how easy it is to replace them, I will probably be replacing them all.
Monday we had winds of about 40 mph and driving rains throughout the morning (maybe I didn't go far enough north?) tapering off to occasional sprinkles and strong wind gusts by afternoon.
I left the area about 3 PM, and arrived back home at 7:30 PM.
Then the fun started. We had power that night, but it went out soon after, and stayed off until Thursday evening, when it finally came back on. Phones and cable/internet was on again/off again until Saturday. I once again lost my family room ceiling, this is the third time in just over a year.
Here is a photo of our front yard after cleaning up most of the debris:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000773.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	15924  
Old 10-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #104
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now with 12 volt lighting!

I was playing around with Goliath today, before returning the trailer to the storage lot, and managed to wire up the 12 volt lights so they work. I also wired in a small (10 amp) battery charger under the kitchen counter, so I don't have to worry about the tow vehicle charging the battery. At least theoretically we can now boondock, with lights, as long as we don't mind not taking showers.
Next repair will be replacing the galley stove fan motor, as the one that is there is toast. Also at some point I will be plumbing in the fresh water tank, and 12 volt pump. This has been on hold until I got a working 12 volt system, and a way to keep the battery charged. Now it doesn't have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000793.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	15925  
Old 10-31-2005, 05:20 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
What a great looking trailer. We here in tornado alley salute you. You have one thing up on us, you know when you're going to get hit. We may have 20 minutes warning of a probable tornado. Not much time to get the Argosy, 5 dogs, 4 cats and Rosalee Toad loaded up.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #106
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Overlander63, I am curious to find out what your solution to the black tank valve was. I have a 63 Overlander and am currently in the process of replacing mine...that is if I could figure out where to start. We have the black tank out and have found the brass collector/valve assembly (link to picture).
Is yours anything like ours, and if so what did you do to repair it?

-Tracey

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #107
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by squrlgurl
Overlander63, I am curious to find out what your solution to the black tank valve was. I have a 63 Overlander and am currently in the process of replacing mine...that is if I could figure out where to start. We have the black tank out and have found the brass collector/valve assembly (link to picture).
Is yours anything like ours, and if so what did you do to repair it?

-Tracey
Hmm, that looks like one thing I didn't post how I fixed.
I went to my friendly Camping World, and got a 2" Valterra blade type sliding dump valve, which I installed by carefully marking the holes from the new valve on the underside of the black tank, being careful to line up the main drainage hole. I then used stainless steel machine screws with stainless washers, and rubber washers under them to keep it from leaking at those four points. I then installed a Tee connector for the grey water to run into, with a 2" to 3" 90 degree PVC elbow, which went into a piece of 3" PVC, terminating just inboard of the edge of the trailer. I then installed two stainless steel machine screws (I think they were #12's) to hold the termination cap in place. This so far has been working well for us, it has been done for about 3 months now, and we have been out with it several times, with no leaks.
The next time I bring Goliath back to the house, I will crawl under it and snap a photo for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 022.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	29584  
Old 11-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #108
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
What a great looking trailer. We here in tornado alley salute you. You have one thing up on us, you know when you're going to get hit. We may have 20 minutes warning of a probable tornado. Not much time to get the Argosy, 5 dogs, 4 cats and Rosalee Toad loaded up.
Last August 13 (2004), I hitched, loaded, and grabbed both animals and left town in 55 minutes flat, when Hurricane Charlie decided without warning it wanted to go almost directly over our house. It still took more than the 20 minutes y'all typically have for tornadoes, though. I will have to work to get my evacuation times lower...
Old 11-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Terry,

I've been away for a bit. Have you posted pix of your '52 25' Cruiser?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #110
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Terry,

I've been away for a bit. Have you posted pix of your '52 25' Cruiser?

Tom
Not yet. I am waiting until I pull it out of the (gasp!) junkyard where it is currently stored, as well as after removing the ceramic tile flooring the PO installed (very heavy looking stuff). It has the same basic floorplan as my Overlander, only with a single axle. Supposedly, according to one reference guide I have access to, the '52 Cruiser was the prototype Overlander, although not marketed as such. It is really 26 feet long, not 25, with an empty weight of 3200 pounds. Plumbing is "dump on the ground", and there is no 12v system at all, the 110v system has two screw-in glass fuses for circuit protection.
I have purchased this one purely for speculative purposes, and will list it in the classifieds when I get it ready for sale.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #111
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hello, cooking fans!

I took the galley fan out this morning, to take to the mobile home parts store and match up, when I made an important (accidental) discovery.
I had the trailer unplugged from shore power, and was cuting the power wires to the motor, when the cutters slipped, and glanced off the metal frame that holds the motor in place. Zap! %%^&*&%!!! It turns out that the fan is 12v, and works fine when you have a 12v electrical system hooked up. I re-installed the motor, and verified operation. It works fine, so I no longer need a fan motor.
While I am on the subject of cooking (sort of), would anyone have an idea why my oven lights, and functions well, but when it reaches the set temp, and the burner kicks off, so does the pilot light? It is a pain in the neck to re-light the oven after every time it gets to the set temp.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #112
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Mystery switch

While going over everything in Goliath, I have found this switch, with two outlets, behind the sink. The switch does not control the air compressor for the water, that is below the edge of the counter, and all lights work with or without the switch. There is no outside light for it to control, the outlets in the same housing work with the switch either "off" or "on". I seriously doubt it ever had a garbage disposal installed, so what is it supposed to control?
Here is a photo showing the switch, as well as the newly installed galley faucet:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000701.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	15970  
Old 11-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #113
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Mystery Switch

Our 1985 Motorhome has a similar switch and it controls an outlet under the sink which is for the small hot water heater installed to make instant coffee or tea.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #114
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
No outlet there

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Our 1985 Motorhome has a similar switch and it controls an outlet under the sink which is for the small hot water heater installed to make instant coffee or tea.
I looked, and there is no outlet under the counter. I thought it could be for the furnace (nope) or the A/C (uh-uh), or some kind of electric water osmosis machine.
It is too old to have even thought about a dishwasher.
Someday, my curiosity will get the better of me, and I will start pulling stuff apart to see where it goes.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:11 PM   #115
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Hmm, that looks like one thing I didn't post how I fixed.

The next time I bring Goliath back to the house, I will crawl under it and snap a photo for you.
Yeah I'd like to see how you made it. Did your old valve and collector look like the big metal one in the pic I posted??

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

Old 11-06-2005, 03:59 PM   #116
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Aww, crap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squrlgurl
Yeah I'd like to see how you made it. Did your old valve and collector look like the big metal one in the pic I posted??
I knew I was forgetting something. I forgot the pic of the updated valve assembly.
Yes, it did look like a big hunk of brass with a blade in it.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:07 PM   #117
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now lighting with gas.

I went to Ace Hardware again today ("watch batteries? Aisle 31....You're welcome.... No, I don't work here. ") and picked up a pair of Coleman gas lantern mantles. I then installed one on the original Humphrey LP gas lamp in the galley. After installing it, I lit the lamp for the first time since Gerald Ford was President...
Here is what it looks like now:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000796.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	16086  
Old 11-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #118
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Lamp looks great lit up. I am scared of mine since it looks like it may have puffed smoke or flame up onto the ceiling at some point. The PO covered the damaged Zolotone in spots with tan spray paint.

Speaking of lamps...I noticed from you picture that you have the round ceiling fixtures like I do. One of mine is missing the big round plastic cover. Have you found a source for replacements?

BTW, I painted my 3 rectangular light fixtures (like yours over kitchen and bath sinks) with super shiny metallic silver paint today and they look awesome. I also painted the 2 fixtures on either side of the gaucho (ones with covers that look like perforated screens) the shiny silver. I had orginally painted them all the same tan color, but aluminitis must be setting in and the silver paint was calling.
Next I suppose I will be turning those tan ceiling fixtures into shiny flying saucers....sure looks better than tan w/ rust spots.

-Tracey

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #119
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I forget if I posted it or not, but I repainted those square fixtures with white semi gloss enamel. They look much better than the rust-bloomed white they were previously.
I have fortunately not needed to find replacements for the round lights, I would expect I would have to make them myself
I personally prefer with the older coaches, to keep things in a white and wood pattern, with a touch of silver here and there (like the clock). I think the post-1970 trailers look better with more silver accents, although I am not sure why.
I do know if you want silver paint, I found a color called "Aluminum Ingot", which is a gloss metallic grey. Not as glaring as the old chrome aluminum color, I have painted the tongue and rear bumper with this color, and it turned out nicely.
As for the lamp, probably the mantle broke, or the PO had the flame turned up too high, to cause the smoke and soot problem. If you want to try using it, the mantles are about $3 for a 2 pack from Ace hardware, I got the ones with the twist wires on them to attach them, as I can't tie a knot to save my life. Light the mantle without the gas on, and when the mantle is done burning in (the flame and red spots will go out), turn the gas on a little bit, and light the mantle with your aim-n-flame lighter you use for lighting the water heater and stove.. Adjust the gas flow until you have a warm glow like you see in my photo above. And if you are nervous about doing this, you can do as I did, and have a fire extinguisher in one hand while lighting it.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:28 PM   #120
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Terry,
The metallic silver didn't come out as shiny as the cap color indicated, which is good. I'll post some pics when I get the first one installed. With all that darned dark paneling I think they will knock the edge off that "hunting-lodge" feel we have going on

Actaully I was digging around in the trailer yesterday and found that the PO had stashed about a half dozen of the original mantels (gauze-y looking things?) in the doo-dad drawer, as well as a whole bunch of original Ogden water filters. When we get the gas hooked up (after we buy some tanks!) I am gonna have at least 2 things handy: 1/ Your instructions for lighting the lamp and 2/ a fire extinguisher ! Thanks.

-Tracey

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander