Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #161
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Thanks, Uwe. It had the brackets for the fifth wheel still in the bed, which partly explains the odd mirror arrangement. The wiring connector was mounted in the bed as well. It also has twin US Gear overdrive units in it, so fuel mileage on the road while towing rivals that of newer trucks. One thing I noticed soon after picking the truck up, it doesn't do U-turns very well, unless you are in an open field. I have already purchased a solid replacement tailgate, as the iopen gate looks a bit too, umm, err, "country"..Yeah, that's it! It looks too "country" for me...
Also, somewhere along the way we started naming our equipment. Since the truck is large, brown, hulking, and graceless (imagine driving a slalom course with it!), it has been christened Moose. It seems to fit.
Moose seems appropriate.
I remember Ford's lousy turning radius from owning an 89 Econoline delivery van. Took a football field to turn the thing.
Sounds like you made a good find with this, very suitable for towing.
I will go for something like this once I can get a dedicated tow vehicle, which would be used for not much else. Right now I still need the wagon style vehicle for business and family.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
This is a new adventure for us, we recently acquired a 1963 Overlander...Our saga begins...
Are you all done, Terry? I haven't seen an update in a while.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Are you all done, Terry? I haven't seen an update in a while.

Tom
No, Tom, it is far from done. We have been busy with career changes, a new house, a new tow vehicle, and a host of other projects. I am also waiting for the weather to turn a bit cooler, it is still in the 90's here daily. I tried to pick up Goliath last night to bring home and test the new 30 amp outlet in the new garage, but for reasons unknown the coach battery was dead, and the charge line into the trailer doesn't seem to be working, so I had to take the battery out, and charge it overnight so the electric jack would work. If it is dead again when I go back to pick it up for camping this weekend, I will have to do some detective work. I made sure nothing was left on before I parked Goliath this time, we will see what happens.
We are going camping in Wildwood, Florida (near Ocala), in one of our last camping outings before the snowbirds come back and clog up all the campgrounds in the state. We may be able to get one more weekend in for the forum rally at Fort DeSoto in Novemeber, if we are lucky.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It has been a while since we did anything to Goliath, except (gasp! ) going camping. We have moved, and had an interesting issue getting the Overlander in our driveway. The home we have moved into was built about 10 years ago, after new zoning regulations took effect. The street in front of our new house is the same elevation as the street in front of our old house, but the new code says the house must be built much higher in elevation. This leads to an issue that the builder chose to be cheap about, and that is to make a dip in the driveway where the ditch is, rather than a sluicepipe under the driveway. This is effective for moving rainwater, but makes the issue of the house (and garage) being higher, a real problem. The biggest problem is, when I tried backing Goliath into our new driveway, the back bumper dragged hard on the concrete.I knew this might happen, so I was going very, very slowly while backing, and had Marie watching the bumper to make sure it didn't drag. Only problem is, she was standing where I couldn't see her, and I couldn't hear her over the noise of the diesel engine in Moose. The end result was a couple of pretty deep gouges in the concrete where we bottomed out. Yikes!
Hmmm...
I went to our favorite lumber yard, and bought a 2x8x10, and had it cut in half (one half is 2" longer than the other half), and used the lumber as a bridge over the worst part of the dip in our driveway. The bumper now clears with an inch to spare. I painted marks on the driveway to show where the 2x8's should be placed to save time while backing in.
Here is a photo of Goliath in the driveway, the wooden bridge is visible by the tires of the truck:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 045.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	27656  
Old 10-29-2006, 07:44 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
And the reason I brought Goliath home was to replace the range. Those of you that attended the Forum rally in Fort DeSoto last September may remember we had a little problem with the oven, it was either "on" or "off", with nothing in between. After over a year of trying to bake with a blast furnace, I scored a lightly used range out of a 1965 Safari, and after modifying the hole it is supposed to go into, I worked it into the hole. The stove worked right away, but I had to take apart the gas valve for the oven, as it hadn't been used in so long it was stuck closed. I put the valve back together, and re-assembled the oven. It lit right away, and seems to be fairly accurate as far as thermostats go (about 25 degrees cooler indicated, than actual), and the important thing is, it shuts off on its own when tempurature is reached.
I found out that field mice had built a nest inside the oven, and after the oven cooled off, I cleaned out the stuff that didn't burn when the oven lit. There's nothing like the smell of burning mouse poop in the morning...
Here's a couple of photos of the old oven, and the "newsed" oven. The thermometer in the oven shows it is definately working well. The third picture also shows where I installed the converter:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 046.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	27657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 047.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	27658  

Name:	Picture 048.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	27659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 049.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	27660  

Name:	Picture 050.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	27661  
Old 10-29-2006, 08:19 AM   #166
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The smell of mouse poop is one thing but burnt mouse poop? I'm not sure anything could smell worse!!!

Way to go Terry. Having a functioning properly oven is a big plus when out enjoying the wilderness.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Over the course of the last several trips back to the house, or outings camping, more than a few times the coach battery was dead, necessitating removal and recharging the battery. A pain in the dupa, to say the least.
I found the cause of our intermittant dead battery during our soon-to-be-infamous rally last weekend. I woke up at 2 o'clock Sunday morning to find the 12 volt overhead light in the kitchen area on. I thought maybe Marie had turned it on, for some reason, and forgotten to turn it off. This was highly unlikely, but within the realm of possibility. I found out when I turned it off, this was not the case. I turned it off, and about the time I got back into bed, it popped back on again. Cursing under my breath, I got up (again), and turned it off (again). Going back to bed, I stubbed my toe on the dog's food bowl, turning it over, and dumping dog food all over the floor. After more cursing, hopping one one foot and rubbing the affected toe, I cleaned up the dog food, and got almost back to bed when the light came on again.
Okay, I'm done. I got up, got out my pliers, unscrewed the cover, unscrewed the light bulb, and re-installed the cover. There! Now come back on, you rotten $%%^$%%^ light! Through all this, Marie slept blissfully on, unaware of the drama unfolding in our kitchen.
The rest of the night passed peacefully. Now all I have to do is find a new switch for the light.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A spur of the moment upgrade

Goliath has the old Bargman 99 taillights, and after 44 years they are showing their age. While I was perusing the forums the other day, I ran across a great deal on some lenses. $15.98 plus shipping later, I had ordered a pair of lenses from Dave here on the forums (user number99), who just happens to own Yankee lighting company. They arrived in the mail yesterday, and I pulled Goliath over to the house to install them, as well as take care of my "redneck engineered" sewer outlet pipe. I pulled the lenses out of the packages, and even though advertised as "seconds", they were in better shape then many lights that were supposed to be perfect. After a few minutes of close examination, I found one small mark on the edge of one lens. Here are a couple of before-and-after photos of the lenses. Replacement was simple as unscrewing the three screw that held the old lenses on, and screwing the new ones on, so I didn't bother with any mid-process photos:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 118.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	30630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 119.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	30631  

Name:	Picture 120.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	30632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 122.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	30633  

Old 01-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #169
Receiver of the Honey Do.

1964 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Well it looks like it is raeally coming along.

DH
Dear Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #170
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Hubby
Well it looks like it is raeally coming along.

DH
It's come a long way since we got it. How is your money pit, er, project, coming along?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good news, bad news

The good news is that I was able to arrange to get a new Astradome cover for the front of Goliath, with the help of several forums friends. This is good, as the redneck engineered cover I installed the day after we got it home almost two years ago has started leaking when it rains. Of course, it has been hanging around waiting to be installed for over a month now.
The bad news is I am going to have to con, er, persuade somebody to come out and install it before rainy season arrives. I'll post photos whenever this happens.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #172
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
What was the final count?

Hey Terry,

I just finished scanning this entire thread. I recall that at one point the count on wiskey bottles was up to 14. Final count was? My theory is that the PO was trying to restore it an things went the natural course......

One other question (at the moment), I see you replaced your bumper. I'm thinking about getting rid of the ugly box on my unit. This will leave a frame extension that just adds weight and doesnt add function, so can you tell me what the distance from the shell to the bumper ought to be so I can adjust accordingly? Thanks.

Visit my photography page
and the painting page

https://rooseveltfineart.com

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Hey Terry,

I just finished scanning this entire thread. I recall that at one point the count on wiskey bottles was up to 14. Final count was? My theory is that the PO was trying to restore it an things went the natural course......

One other question (at the moment), I see you replaced your bumper. I'm thinking about getting rid of the ugly box on my unit. This will leave a frame extension that just adds weight and doesnt add function, so can you tell me what the distance from the shell to the bumper ought to be so I can adjust accordingly? Thanks.
Rodney, the tally of whiskey bottles has totalled 16, there were two under the bathtub I didn't mention. There were at least that many full ones before we got hold of the project.
When I get my assistant to come down and install the Astradome, I will ask him to measure the distance from the body to the bumper for you.

I was at our trailer yesterday, and the extension is 14" past the shell to the edge of the bumper, with a 10" hinged door for access inside.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #174
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
My assistant finally was able to come down for the Astradome install yesterday. The temporary plexiglass skylight I installed nearly 2 years ago had started to fail from UV exposure, had cracked and was starting to leak when it rained. Even though we are in the traditional dry season right now, it will start raining again on a daily basis in a couple of months.
The install was fairly uncomplicated, although the actuators had to be bent slightly in order for the new dome to line up. We have to revisit the install before moving the trailer, so the dome can fit snugly on the base. Here are a couple of photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCI0005.JPG
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	35849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0006.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	35850  

Name:	DSCI0008.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	35851  
Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #175
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
12 Volt question

I read about your solution for your 12 volt circuit protection, but did you ever find a factory fuse panel or anything resembling such? I can't even find where the wires enter from the battery storage box. It seems to have 2 red wires and 1 green one. There are similar wires behind the furnace but still no fuses or cb's.
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy63
I read about your solution for your 12 volt circuit protection, but did you ever find a factory fuse panel or anything resembling such? I can't even find where the wires enter from the battery storage box. It seems to have 2 red wires and 1 green one. There are similar wires behind the furnace but still no fuses or cb's.
I wound up using the fuse panel from the new converter, separating the circuits into 3 parts for the 12v wiring. The new converter uses ATO fuses, so I was able to use ATO 20 fuses, installed in the panel. You should have a 20 amp self resetting circuit breaker under the curbside front belly pan, and a couple near the battery box, mounted on the inner wall.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #177
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Thanks

Thanks, I'll have a look. I hope to have pics posted soon. (#2 pencil in a dot com world, technologicaly speaking). I think I made a pretty good find. She just needs some TLC. (I hope). Anything else looks expensive. But its fun. I'm sure I'll have more ?s later.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A new battery

I was able to do something more-or-less by myself, with some help. Okay, a lot of help. Okay, Marie did most of it...
When I parked Goliath back in December, I stopped at the sink to wash my hands before leaving, and forgot to turn the water pump off. the result was a battery that was so dead, and badly sulfated, it would not take a charge. So, I sent out for a new battery, and when it arrived we drove out to the storage lot to install it. I unlocked the battery access door, opened it, Marie slid the battery in, I screwed the wing nuts down onto the battery, and closed and locked the access door. We now have a fresh battery for when we don't go anywhere for the next several months.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I'm responsible for a few dead batteries myself

Oops.

Oh well, shhh...stuff happens. You're ready now!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #180
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Oops.

Oh well, shhh...stuff happens. You're ready now!

Tom
Yes, it's just the Karma Gods seem to want to "kick him while he's down" ...But it was only a battery, and was something I had on my list to replace this summer anyway. It's hard to believe we've owned, er, had this trailer as a member of our family, for two years in two weeks or so. Time flies when you're restoring an Airstream.

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander