Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I now have all the bits and pieces (sans one) to construct my electric food fence. I patterned it after the UDAP food fence, but a bit more robust. In addition, it meets or exceeds all usfs requirements, per their tech tips from their technology department. If there is any interest, I will post the parts and finished product. It'll be a couple weeks before it's done.....going ASing tomorrow.
dznf0g. I love DIY projects and this would be something I would be interested in. Please share once you are happy with the resulting design and implementation. Thanks in advance.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:04 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Black Bears threat level

Quote:
While I understand, there are many differences in large toothed animals. Black bears are not carnivors, and don't hunt meat. Less than 10% of their diet is flesh, and then it is just what they find dead already. Now having said that, the wolf packs up there are a bit unnerving. They usually won't even approach humans in summer while food is plentiful, but in winter, all bets are off.
Up yonder around here, the park rangers have instructed us that the Black Bears indeed will stalk and try to eat you. Instructions are to play dead and protect your neck if the browns attack, fight like all if a black attacks because it is not simply neutralizing a threat but looking for lunch. Regional Difference? Could be.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Recent personal black bear learnings

This picture was taken from our camping spot in Redstone Colorado, on our friends property, recently!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4047.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	422658  
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:28 PM   #44
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Rich (and others): appreciate all the knowledge about bear issues when hiking/camping.

Our most memorable encounter was on a back country bicycle trip, about 90 km that day, with most of it on a former railbed. We were 30 km from civilization. We came to an abandoned homestead, and where the jeep track crossed the creek, there were old fruit trees. We came down the trail towards the creek, slowly because of the loose rocks, and spotted a large bear near the fruit trees. It was too close for comfort by the time we saw it.

We stopped, and scanned for any cubs. We put two bikes in between us and the bear. We waited to see what the bear would do. It reared up, and was very tall, although that is all relative I suppose. It appeared to determine that we weren't a threat, and eventually ambled down the creek. We had descended towards the creek, and it was a steep climb up after the creek so there was no obvious escape route, not that we would want to try and outrun it.

My question is, what should we have done, apart from making even more noise as we rode? It was the bear rearing up that was memorable to us, we have seen lots of bears on all fours. Wildlife warnings were posted for cougar sightings, and we were more concerned about those than bears, but it left us thinking that we should have more of a plan.

Appreciate any advice.

Jeff
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:53 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
dznf0g. I love DIY projects and this would be something I would be interested in. Please share once you are happy with the resulting design and implementation. Thanks in advance.
OK, I will. As an FYI, the UDAP costs $370, but you would need some additions to it. Batteries (8 D-cells) (Will run on 4 D-Cells, but at reduced power), 8 place battery tray, a fence voltage tester, additional ground rod (for dry, rocky, sandy soils) and 20,000 volt ground wire. This brings its total to $555.

I built mine for $387, son not only did I have a fun project, but saved some $$$$....and mine is more robust.

Note, I am using rechargeable lithium D-cells which are more pricey than alkaline.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Rich (and others): appreciate all the knowledge about bear issues when hiking/camping.

Our most memorable encounter was on a back country bicycle trip, about 90 km that day, with most of it on a former railbed. We were 30 km from civilization. We came to an abandoned homestead, and where the jeep track crossed the creek, there were old fruit trees. We came down the trail towards the creek, slowly because of the loose rocks, and spotted a large bear near the fruit trees. It was too close for comfort by the time we saw it.

We stopped, and scanned for any cubs. We put two bikes in between us and the bear. We waited to see what the bear would do. It reared up, and was very tall, although that is all relative I suppose. It appeared to determine that we weren't a threat, and eventually ambled down the creek. We had descended towards the creek, and it was a steep climb up after the creek so there was no obvious escape route, not that we would want to try and outrun it.

My question is, what should we have done, apart from making even more noise as we rode? It was the bear rearing up that was memorable to us, we have seen lots of bears on all fours. Wildlife warnings were posted for cougar sightings, and we were more concerned about those than bears, but it left us thinking that we should have more of a plan.

Appreciate any advice.

Jeff

I don't think you did anything wrong. Like you said, maybe more noise, and carry bear spray (it does work on other critters too). When he stood up, was it more like, "what's that?" curiosity sort of thing?

Hey, use clothes pins and playing cards in the spokes, like I did 5.5 decades ago. Sounds like a motorcycle!!!!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #47
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I don't think you did anything wrong. Like you said, maybe more noise, and carry bear spray (it does work on other critters too). When he stood up, was it more like, "what's that?" curiosity sort of thing?

Hey, use clothes pins and playing cards in the spokes, like I did 5.5 decades ago. Sounds like a motorcycle!!!!
Thanks. I can't interpret any details of the bear's posturing, except to note that I am 6'4 and the bear was significantly taller than me. I hoped it was just getting a better look/sniff, but imagined at the time that if the bear was going to attack, it was now in a dominating position. When it went back to all fours, I was happier, and then thought that now it was able to move faster, so my relief was short lived.

We did have bear spray, in the panniers. I was not confident that it would be effective.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Bears...oh no...

Many encounters with grizzly and black/brown bears in Yellowstone, Teton, Glacier and of course our home in Lincoln....but in Many Glacier, we saw bears most every day...once, a mama and cub across the river from us, so wife said "Jer- there's a bear! get the camera!" this, after a glass of wine...so I did what she said; after all...she is my wife! Anyway, there I was with camera in hand, standing in the river bed, trying to get a good shot so I whistled...scared the cub up the tree, which in turn caused mom to look at me, and then thankfully, look for her cub and head back to the bank...not sure my thinking was sound...whistling at a bear...anyway, lesson is don't drink around wild animals when the wife is sitting there next to you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bear at Swiftcurrent.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	422664   Click image for larger version

Name:	booboo.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	422665  

Name:	Mama bear comming over to check out our camp site!.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	422666  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
mastic beach , New York
Yes, about the bear cannister question. Sorry you lost your food, that could end a trip real early.

I use the Kevlar bear cannister by Wild Ideas. Never had a problem, the cover has bear claw marks on it from one bear raid.

For the Canoe trip I've read to strap the Yetis shut and hang the coolers. But that trip never happened so can't speak from experience.

Enjoy the wilderness!
Old 09-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pond View Post
Yes, about the bear cannister question. Sorry you lost your food, that could end a trip real early.

I use the Kevlar bear cannister by Wild Ideas. Never had a problem, the cover has bear claw marks on it from one bear raid.

For the Canoe trip I've read to strap the Yetis shut and hang the coolers. But that trip never happened so can't speak from experience.

Enjoy the wilderness!
Yeah, portaging coolers is not an option. You would realize that on day 1, early morning.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:03 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Fairview , TX
Bear Threat

We had a bear visitor a few weeks ago while camping in our AS Basecamp in Red River, NM. Our Canyon(tm) rotomold ice chest was rolled around the camp a few times but kudos to Canyon, it really is bear proof. We have never put any food items in the cooler so the bear probably had some previous success with other coolers. No damage done!
Airkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Fairview , TX
We had a bear visitor a few weeks ago while camping in our AS Basecamp in Red River, NM. Our Canyon(tm) rotomold ice chest was rolled around the camp a few times but kudos to Canyon, it really is bear proof. We have never put any food items in the cooler so the bear probably had some previous success with other coolers. No damage done!
Airkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLKerr View Post
Congrats on bear safe though scary encounter. We see Black bears frequently in my town, including my alley and neighbors' trashcans when they are hungry--which seems to be spring and fall.

I frequent Alaska quite a bit (a son lives there) and we prefer hard shell lodging--either a van or a public use cabin. Brown bears, by the way, are identified by finding bear bells in their tummy. They like toothpaste!
But, I really wrote to ask how you haul your canoe along with your airstream?

Thanks.
I added a contractors’ rack to my pickup:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	309B39A9-7E1E-44FB-AFB7-A27D1446613F.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	422667  
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:33 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
Just to the west, adjoining BWCA, is Voyageurs National Park. Their campsites have bear boxes, and the campers comply with the regulation to put food and fragrant items in the boxes. As a result, bears have no interest in the campsite or occupants.
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
noise and bear spray

Quote:

Appreciate any advice.

Jeff
I second the noise and bear spray. Noise is for the point that bears don't act predictably when surprised. You did just fine, with the possible addition of talking to the bear and standing close to each other and appearing large and unappealing. With cubs present - all bets are off so kudos in your assessment to look for cubs first. At our remote cabin a brownie with three cubs walked the beach near us and was awesome in response to our scent - woofed, snapped teeth and pounded the beach gravel so hard it sprayed like a meteor impact. Thankfully it never saw us and barked at the cubs - all three high-tailed it up the trail. They move very quickly for something that appears so big and ponderous.

A tip on the spay: get the kit with the practice canister included. And practice. Confidence builder.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:28 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
Quote:

Appreciate any advice.

Jeff
Here is what the NPS says:

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm

It pretty much aligns with what people have written here. (Except bears eating people)
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:35 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
We use a combination of hanging packs and the blue 30.liter barrel(s). They are not bear proof, but bear resistant....for inexperienced bears. All of the bear proof barrels are too small, and bear proof coolers, like yeti and some others don't work for canoe trips.
We live right next to the Chattahoochee National Forest. Black bears are always around even if you don’t see them. I agree that the electric fence is your best option. I set one up around my wife’s container garden and it kept all animals big & small out. One night I was walking the dog and heard loud huffing & puffing. It was a good sized black bear up in a tree. I think he came in contact with the fence.

A neighbor had one of those Roughneck garbage cans sitting outside. The bear didn’t even open the lid. You can see the claw punctures on the side of the can and the ripped rubber pealed back like like it was made of paper.

Every now & then we see cubs. That’s when the voice in my head says “Danger Will Robinson” ��

The bears are only a real problem if someone starts feeding them or if you set your trash outside; then the bears see the feeding area as theirs and might defend it. Of course when you see a cub, look for momma because she is around.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
We live right next to the Chattahoochee National Forest. Black bears are always around even if you don’t see them. I agree that the electric fence is your best option. I set one up around my wife’s container garden and it kept all animals big & small out. One night I was walking the dog and heard loud huffing & puffing. It was a good sized black bear up in a tree. I think he came in contact with the fence.

A neighbor had one of those Roughneck garbage cans sitting outside. The bear didn’t even open the lid. You can see the claw punctures on the side of the can and the ripped rubber pealed back like like it was made of paper.

Every now & then we see cubs. That’s when the voice in my head says “Danger Will Robinson” ��

The bears are only a real problem if someone starts feeding them or if you set your trash outside; then the bears see the feeding area as theirs and might defend it. Of course when you see a cub, look for momma because she is around.
This is one of the more accurate write-ups, IMO.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:58 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
In 1966 camping in smokey mts. a young couple in pu camper site next to ours, while eating decided to go inside & have a little fun, leaving food on table. A black bear decided it's dinner time destroying coolers every thing else then ripped back door off camper and tore back up all while they were trapped inside, bear decided to leave, so did they very fast. No other campers affected, This bear was later trapped & removed from area as caused prob before.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:51 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
In 1966 camping in smokey mts. a young couple in pu camper site next to ours, while eating decided to go inside & have a little fun, leaving food on table. A black bear decided it's dinner time destroying coolers every thing else then ripped back door off camper and tore back up all while they were trapped inside, bear decided to leave, so did they very fast. No other campers affected, This bear was later trapped & removed from area as caused prob before.
I recall camping in Cades Cove there. The rangers would tell you very clearly to get dinner all cleaned up and put away before dusk. One group was still eating dinner when a bear started to amble through the CG. We hollered 'bear coming'. It was comical to see how quickly they got everything picked up and put away. It was almost like a cartoon.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote