Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2022, 10:41 AM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Most Popular AS Last Yr

I saw this from Airstream yesterday and thought it interesting. What is the most popular model based on the sales data?
https://www.airstream.com/blog/the-m...ource=hs_email
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

At least as I read what is says in the article, the most popular AS is the Basecamp 20'. That's not an uncommon outcome in terms of units sold. There are more folks out there who can afford the trailers with the "less insane" prices.

Now, a flip side to this question might be: How much do various models get used?

Despite the Basecamp being the big seller, we have not seen a lot of them out and about. There have been anywhere from three to eight AS trailers in the various campgrounds we've been at this year. I can't remember any Basecamps. Even crossing our van off the list, we've seen more AS vans (two) than Basecamps.

Driving down the road, we have seen Basecamps a couple of times. That's out of probably several hundred AS trailers we've seen. Van sightings on the road are a bit tricky. I can't really say how many we've seen for sure.

Extending things out past just this year, we've seen maybe four or five Basecamps with us in campgrounds. Most of those showed up at "Airstream only" campgrounds. Still very much in the minority.

One very real explanation probably gets back to who buys what. "Couple weekends a year" folks likely lean one way. "On the road > 6 months a year" folks likely lean another way.

The Basecamp is fairly new. There are a *lot* of AS trailers still on the road that came out long before the Basecamp every existed (2007). Even so, we see a lot of new (or at least newer) AS trailers at campsites. One could also dig into just how the 2016 "refresh" impacted the sales of the Basecamp. Lots of fiddly details to wonder about ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
My son got the "AS Bug" and bought the 20X last year. We drove his "new" GLE350 to Tampa for him to take delivery and flew back to TX, while he and family flew in to drive it home. He used it a few times, even a trip from TX to Big Sky for 8 days with wife and 2 little girls. Wife said it was too small for a family, so they sold. He did make a few thousand$$ on the sale, and learned a lot. The Basecamp is unique looking and the 20X offers off road towing type camping, which appeals to many younger folks (some older as well); But, it is not cheep by any means, for what you get. It is less expensive then the Bambi 16', and frankly, offers more useable space for storage and moving around.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Various dealers I've chatted with have mentioned there is a lot of "churn" at the Basecamp end of things. Even so, I'd still expect to see them out and about. A pop up that cost a few thousand sitting in the garage is not too crazy for most folks. A Basecamp is pricey enough that I would *think* you'd move on from it if it's not going to be taken out camping.

Bob
Old 09-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
We camped next to a Basecamp 20 a few days ago, and have seen a number of both 16’s and 20’s as we have camped around the mountain west this year.

With regard to relative sales of the original Basecamp (we owned one, and loved it) there is no comparison. They only made 210 of the original and discontinued it after only two full years of production, so averaged about 100 per year. At 20% of total volume, the 20’ Basecamp alone is probably about 800 and the 16’ Basecamp may not be far behind.

Two things surprised me: that the 27’ outsold the 25’ (though not by much) and that the newest of all of their models 20’ Basecamp outsold all others. Price is certainly a very big factor, the 20’ Caravel lists for $25K more than the 20’ Basecamp.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m not surprised to see the 27 as the top selling traditional Airstream. I remember being drawn to that model when I first began researching Airstreams before we bought one.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
... Wife said it was too small for a family, ...
And here I think you have hit upon the source of so many, many up-trades over the decades
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
For those that just want the numbers:
20% for Basecamp 20
18% for 27FB
17% for 25FB
11.5% 22FB
9.6% 16RB

Flying Cloud is the most popular trim level, no indication on what %.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #9
Custom User Title

2016 19' International
Everett , Pennsylvania
C s n y

I'm 100% certain that < 30% of that data is misinterpreted. Of course, there is a 50% chance that my assessment is factual.

I - love the one you're with.
Limnocnida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limnocnida View Post
I'm 100% certain that < 30% of that data is misinterpreted. Of course, there is a 50% chance that my assessment is factual……...
Funny! Reminds me of the statistician who wanted to buried in Israel because it had the world’s highest resurrection rate.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:42 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

On the flip side of this:

I'd bet that the Atlas comes in last both this year and on a "total over the last 2/5/10/20 years" basis. Not sure just how far down that list you can go and still have the Basecamp in first. I'd bet that this year and 2/5 certainly work.

So far up here this summer, we still are at zero Basecamps in campgrounds. We are at two Atlas's ..... go figure.

Bob
Old 09-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I'd bet that the Atlas comes in last both this year and on a "total over the last 2/5/10/20 years" basis. Not sure just how far down that list you can go and still have the Basecamp in first. I'd bet that this year and 2/5 certainly work.

So far up here this summer, we still are at zero Basecamps in campgrounds. We are at two Atlas's ..... go figure.

Bob
Yer likely right there, UB! The Atlas sure has it's share of issues, especially for the price! Too bad because AS name suffers when they come out with a lemon. Atlas concept was pretty good; price very high, and quality of finished product leaves a lot of questions for sure...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Bob
The basecamp hits three really good notes - one it's cheap for an airstream, two it can be towed by mid sized trucks and suvs, and three it caters to the 'off-road' and 'overlanding' crowds (especially the X models), which are all the rage right now. I'm not surprised it outsells the 16RB two to one as it has more room but requires no larger tow vehicle while still fitting all campgrounds/sites.

I've seen one at a campground, but I usually don't see many airstreams at all. Maybe people are actually taking them off the beaten path like they're advertised for? What those numbers do tell me is that there is no dominant model, pretty big variety in that top 5.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:45 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I have no problem with Basecamps all being off "somewhere else". We camp in a lot of places. When we go there or there, one of the "fun games" is to check out other places in the area. Sometimes you find cool places to go for the next trip. A lot of the time, you simply confirm that this or that place isn't going to work.

Even with that process, we have yet to work out just where all those Basecamps are hiding. You might say there's a lot of BLM land out there. Yup, that's true. Virtually none of it is east of the Mississipi. Indeed you could move the line a bit further west and still not find much at all. If they are camping in the east, it's probably in someplace folks can easily find .....

So very much a mystery.

Bob
Old 09-17-2022, 10:19 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
We have a Basecamp 20x. We should hit about 50 nights in it this year. For 2021 we were out about 25 nights. (Picked up the trailer in February and dropped it off at the dealer on 11/17. That one never came home.)

So that is a little anecdotal data on Basecamp usage. That leads me to two questions:

1. Is appropriate to post links to surveys on the forum? It would be voluntary response data, but that is better than anecdotes, supposition and opinion.

2. Are Basecamp owners "real airstreamers"? (Opinions totally valid on this one.)
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:17 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
They're real airstreams for sure, I'd have been in the market for one if I didn't have two kids. I like them a little better than the Bambi&caravelle.

I don't see why a survey link couldn't be posted...
Old 09-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
We have seen quite a few Basecamps in the campgrounds we've been staying in. Sometimes more than one. We do see more "silver bullets" but they are of many different trims/models. I think that's where the statistics fall apart.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
I did see 8 Basecamps on our trip back from WY to TX last 15 days...we saw 2 in Steamboat KOA, one in Salida KOA, one in Black Canyon Santa Fe campground, one in Twin Pine RV park, Slaton, TX, and 3 on the road...which reminds me of my question...is it "ok" to flash your lights 3 times when you see a Basecamp like we do when we see a traditional AS on the road, or do you only flash a Basecamp twice?
Old 09-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA15830 View Post
We have a Basecamp 20x. We should hit about 50 nights in it this year. For 2021 we were out about 25 nights. (Picked up the trailer in February and dropped it off at the dealer on 11/17. That one never came home.)

So that is a little anecdotal data on Basecamp usage. That leads me to two questions:

1. Is appropriate to post links to surveys on the forum? It would be voluntary response data, but that is better than anecdotes, supposition and opinion.

2. Are Basecamp owners "real airstreamers"? (Opinions totally valid on this one.)
YES! Especially since the Basecamp reflects the very first AS design.

propchef is offline   Reply With Quote