Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Additionally, if you are using the EB that much to slow the vehicle. Then your trailer brakes are not adjusted properly or you have insufficient gain.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
Quote: "It's a fool who habitually uses an exhaust brake when towing these TTs without the TT brakes being applied simultaneously."

I assume this seemingly outlandish statement is from that of the owner of a Hensley/ProPride hitch.

As good as this hitch design is for avoiding sway when the hitch is in tension, such as when a tow vehicle is pulling a trailer on a highway, this hitch design is equally as bad for avoiding sway when the hitch is in compression, such as when a tow vehicle is being restrained by an exhaust brake or service brakes but the trailer is not equally restrained.

To restate: With the Hensley/ProPride design, if the tow vehicle is being slowed down via an exhaust brake or service brakes without applying the trailer brakes too, the hitch is then susceptible to being compressed, or pushed, by the trailer. If that trailer pushes hard enough, the head of this hitch design is free to swing to one side or the other. This can cause the trailer to push the tow vehicle's rear end to one side or the other, thus risking a loss of control. In fact, the police use this type of push-the-rear-end-to-the-side maneuver with great success when a police car hits the car of a fleeing felon on the rear in a sideways fashion, thus causing the driver to lose control and crash.

To make things worse, this phenomenon is exaggerated if there is a wind pushing the trailer to a side or if the road begins curving in a different direction when going downhill without any applied brakes.

Under such down-hill conditions, the Hensley Bump can be hazardous if the proper precautions are not taken.

So, for the owners of a Hensley/ProPride hitch, Slowmover's assertion is not so outlandish after all. These folks should indeed be extremely cautious when using an exhaust brake or any tow vehicle brake without a parallel use of the trailer brakes. To do otherwise invites problems.
To your point about the trailer "pushing" the TV, I can see this "perhaps", depending on your trailer and your TV. I posted earlier about
an experience we had last year while driving to Alumalina.

I came around the corner going 63-65 or so on the highway, and the traffic in both lanes was dead stopped--no brake lights....my 2017 F250 diesel electronics worked as they should; I applied the brakes hard....no skidding- just a fast, efficient slow/stop, and I was able to avoid rear ending the last cars safely with a foot or so to spare. I did not know it at the time, but only my right trailer brakes were connected on my "new" 28'AS.....the left ones had been severed somehow when I picked it up, and I never knew till later in the year. Point is for us, if I had a smaller TV I am convinced I would have rear-ended with the weight of the 28' AS trailer pushing me into the last car's...the weight and capability of the F250 D saved us in this situation. I use the BO hitch, and have used with my last 3 AS's with no issues....

To Slowmovers comment...he cracks me up sometimes with his comments as above..."miss the "downshift"? Many of us are driving newer TV's, with "automatic" trany's...also, the newer electronics are typically "tuned" to know when you have a load in "tow/haul" mode so the engine braking, transmission downshifting are an "aid" in controlling your combined rig. I use a Blue Ox hitch and have for years...works fine for my use. No argument about being "aware" of the situation, and using your brakes "as needed", and always knowing you have an AS behind you. But, it's not a semi-trailer nor a Peterbuilt pulling it....just saying.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington Heights , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantfuton View Post
Glad to hear you are getting something out of this thread. We've really enjoyed our 25' Int'l Serenity this summer and the F250 with 6.2 has been really great pulling it. If you want to see some videos and impressions of the 6.2 gas motor with 4.30 gear ratio then you can visit my youtube channel. I've posted several different videos to give prospective gas buyers a decent idea of what it is like towing with a gas F250.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6...YhmzWWaXFwjvEg

If you have any questions then feel free to ask. This is a great place to learn from others experience (aaannnnndddd mistakes )

GF

Did your F250 come with the 4:30 gear or did you change it out? Standard is 3:73 (as mine has). I have contemplated changing mine to 4:30 as I can use the extra torque - I carry a 30ft Classic. On flat roads and even modest hills I do fine but the 6 and 7 percent grades give me challenges.
rgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgg123 View Post
Did your F250 come with the 4:30 gear or did you change it out? Standard is 3:73 (as mine has). I have contemplated changing mine to 4:30 as I can use the extra torque - I carry a 30ft Classic. On flat roads and even modest hills I do fine but the 6 and 7 percent grades give me challenges.
Are you at speed for the 6 and 7 percent grades, i.e. freeway? Or are you talking about accelerating from a stop on grade?

At speed, it's all about horsepower. You should be able to downshift to get more gearing and pulling power up the hill. The 4.3 gears may or may not help you in the way you imagine on the freeway, if you're not already taking advantage of lower gears in the transmission. Peak HP for the 6.2L gas is @ 5,500 rpm. If you're not letting her rev, than you're not getting all she's got.

It's less stress on the motor to let her rev than to lug. Lower engine speeds require higher cylinder pressures to make the same power. The cooling circuits aren't pumping as fast either to keep things running cool.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
... I came around the corner going 63-65 or so on the highway, and the traffic in both lanes was dead stopped--no brake lights....my 2017 F250 diesel electronics worked as they should; I applied the brakes hard....no skidding- just a fast, efficient slow/stop, and I was able to avoid rear ending the last cars safely with a foot or so to spare. I did not know it at the time, but only my right trailer brakes were connected on my "new" 28'AS.....the left ones had been severed somehow when I picked it up, and I never knew till later in the year. Point is for us, if I had a smaller TV I am convinced I would have rear-ended with the weight of the 28' AS trailer pushing me into the last car's...the weight and capability of the F250 D saved us in this situation. I use the BO hitch, and have used with my last 3 AS's with no issues...:

This is exactly why I tow our 27FB with a Ram 3500; not arguing brands of TV’s as they all have their strengths and weaknesses but it’s sure nice having the capacity to carry all the heavy stuff in the truck and have the large brakes and exhaust brake to (hopefully) be able to avoid a crash (and only half your trailer brakes working!).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
This is exactly why I tow our 27FB with a Ram 3500; not arguing brands of TV’s as they all have their strengths and weaknesses but it’s sure nice having the capacity to carry all the heavy stuff in the truck and have the large brakes and exhaust brake to (hopefully) be able to avoid a crash (and only half your trailer brakes working!).
Yes it is!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Are you at speed for the 6 and 7 percent grades, i.e. freeway? Or are you talking about accelerating from a stop on grade?

At speed, it's all about horsepower. You should be able to downshift to get more gearing and pulling power up the hill. The 4.3 gears may or may not help you in the way you imagine on the freeway, if you're not already taking advantage of lower gears in the transmission. Peak HP for the 6.2L gas is @ 5,500 rpm. If you're not letting her rev, than you're not getting all she's got.

It's less stress on the motor to let her rev than to lug. Lower engine speeds require higher cylinder pressures to make the same power. The cooling circuits aren't pumping as fast either to keep things running cool.

True w/gas, not true w/Diesel. Torque comes in much lower in the RPM's/HP. Greater gas consumption, less fuel consumption on Diesel. Greater engine ware in gas, less engine ware in Diesel. Fact.

Safe travels and best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
True w/gas, not true w/Diesel. Torque comes in much lower in the RPM's/HP. Greater gas consumption, less fuel consumption on Diesel. Greater engine ware in gas, less engine ware in Diesel. Fact.

Safe travels and best regards
Both will last 300,000 miles. Based on actual ones I have owned:

2000 Silverado 5.3 Gas 320,000 miles when sold
1996 Suburban 6.5 Diesel 280,000 still in family runs great
1988 Silverado 6.2 Diesel Ran to 300,000 miles, rusted to nothing
1986 Silverado 6.2 Diesel, 285,000 miles, sold engine and trans out of it
2013 Superduty 6.2 Gas, too soon to tell, only 120,000 miles on it
*coming soon 2013 Superduty 6.7 Diesel, 27,000 miles, my mechanic says “you don’t need that”, never tell me I don’t need something 😎, we’ll see how that one does
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #129
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Both will last 300,000 miles. Based on actual ones I have owned:

2000 Silverado 5.3 Gas 320,000 miles when sold
1996 Suburban 6.5 Diesel 280,000 still in family runs great
1988 Silverado 6.2 Diesel Ran to 300,000 miles, rusted to nothing
1986 Silverado 6.2 Diesel, 285,000 miles, sold engine and trans out of it
2013 Superduty 6.2 Gas, too soon to tell, only 120,000 miles on it
*coming soon 2013 Superduty 6.7 Diesel, 27,000 miles, my mechanic says “you don’t need that”, never tell me I don’t need something 😎, we’ll see how that one does

Cummins 500K plus..................
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #130
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Grand Junction , Colorado
The diesel is much more advantageous when towing in the mountains at high altitude out west. I live in Colorado and would not buy the gasser. However, if I lived in most of the rest of the US I would most likely buy the gasser. Much cheaper and easier to maintain.
AZ camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ camper View Post
The diesel is much more advantageous when towing in the mountains at high altitude out west. I live in Colorado and would not buy the gasser. However, if I lived in most of the rest of the US I would most likely buy the gasser. Much cheaper and easier to maintain.
Agree- we just came from Montana/Wyoming on our way back to TX, thru Flaming Gorge on highway 191; wow! Hairpin turns and 9% grades, plus extremely rough pavement! No way would I want to be pulling my 28' with my old F150 on that road; the F250 6.7D handled it just fine, but it was a "thrilling" ride down just the same...engine brake on auto, TowHaul engaged, and brakes applied with the auto system worked excellent...with my assistance as needed. I still miss driving my F150 EB around, but for towing the 28' in the mountains and in general, the F250 D is great!
Old 09-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #132
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have noticed in the last couple of seasons that gas for the most part is much cheaper then diesel. If I were in the market I would have to take a serious look at the gasser. For some reason here in Arizona the gas and diesel prices are very close to each other.

Also noticed the last couple of years the RV park prices are creeping up as is fuel. Not quite so cheap anymore wandering around.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
It will be interesting to see how the new 10speed transmission will work with the gas F250. You would think it will get better mpg’. Have to say I love my F150 getting 20 mpg’s for daily driver. So an F250 now gets about 9 to 10 mpg’s towing. I get better than that with my F150 towing my 28’ AS; generally 10 to 12. And I drive about 65. At 55 my F150 goes to over 12 mpg while towing.

As to RV parks going up I have decided that staying at National Parks or municipal parks is the way to go if possible. We stayed in a really nice municipal campground for $24 a night with full hook ups. Way nicer than the for profit parks we have been at. Also have any of you used boondockerswelcome.com? Private individuals allowing you to stay a few nights on their property.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Basically, it takes “x” btu’s to pull my trailer one mile. Won’t really matter if I tow it with gas, diesel, ethanol or electricity, it is the same amount of energy. Now, a ten speed transmission will save energy accelerating as it will keep the rpms in the sweet spot but, at steady cruise, all those gears will not help at all.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
When considering a gas vs diesel tow vehicle keep in mind that diesel engines and their transmissions are much heavier and a tow vehicle will have a different front/rear weight distribution depending on the engine type. In my case a diesel has worked to my advantage as the hitch load is offset by the engine weight making for a very stable rig.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
FWIW my F350 Diesel get 14 towing in the Smokies. At speeds between 55-65 depending. On the flats in NC got 13 at 70. Towing an International Serenity 27FBQ. Two adults, 1 large dog and all our stuff including ebikes etc.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Basically, it takes “x” btu’s to pull my trailer one mile. Won’t really matter if I tow it with gas, diesel, ethanol or electricity, it is the same amount of energy. Now, a ten speed transmission will save energy accelerating as it will keep the rpms in the sweet spot but, at steady cruise, all those gears will not help at all.
The difference is that while towing the transmission will zero in on the best gear and engine speed for the situation. More options. So instead of going from 6th to 5th it will go from 10th to 7th. And the amount of shifting will be more effiencent. This is why the 10 gear transmission is desireabile. Also when I am in my F150 with 10 speeds the RPMs really go down on the flats. That 10th speed enables a lower RPM.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/08/...-transmission/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Actually the diesel engine is more efficient than the gas engine, so it does make a difference. The diesel makes more power per BTU of fuel input. The higher compression ratio of the diesel allows it to be more efficient at converting fuel to power.

I got 9-11 mpg towing my trailer with my wimpy F150 with 4 speed auto.
I get 14-16 towing the same trailer with my diesel with 4 speed auto. And I go faster while doing it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #139
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
The 10 speed matters because it can spend more time with the torque converter locked up. That, and other improvements in the transmission, are where the efficiency improvements come from.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote