Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2021, 05:02 AM   #161
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I was aware of most of this. I just didn’t realize going from 20,000 pound fifth wheel to 7,000 pound bumper pull required the same truck. Really shows how poorly designed bumper pull trailers are.
It's not that the bumper pull trailer is poorly designed.Its the limitations of the towing system, VS a 5th Wheel..Its just built into the equation.
I'm giving the extreme high end weights of some or these 5th wheel trailers,to show why these large trucks are needed.Their longer wheelbase and heavy drive systems and much heavier weight of those bigger trucks provide much more control if towing a large bumper pull trailer.Its physics
The trailer has a greatly reduced opportunity to drive the large tow vehicle, than it does with a smaller tow vehicle.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Those are mainly 5th Wheels.Some are near or over 20 Thousand pound trailers.
All Airstream trailers are "Bumper pull" .
Due to huge variety of tow vehicle sizes+ numbers, bumper pull trailers, of all sizes, from tiny lawn trailers to big campers, make up the majority of all ltrailer size rigs.
A bumper pull trailer has inherent size limitations, due to the fact it's not pulled with a 5th Wheel setup.That makes it much more problematic.
One must understand their weight and loading issues.
Ah, excuse me?? What was that?? LOL This one supposedly belonged to one H.Hughes...all wood inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 5th wheel.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	393072  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote