Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2003, 12:17 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Agreed. Doing a search on the word winterizing will also get you a lot more info to go with that section.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:33 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Water heater question

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
the water heater
John -

Used your VERY helful pictorial to winterize SilverToy this first time. Using your photos as inspiration, I even installed the winterizing kit from Camco. Much easier than I made it out to be before I started. Thanks for that!

As I mentioned elsewhere I did have a problem with the waterheater as the drain plug twisted off with no threads to grab or anything. Took a small screwdriver and gently tapped two 'runs' into the plug from inside, then twisted out the section from between the runs, then collapsed the remainder of the plug. Out it came. Did mangle the aluminum threads on 2 places though.

Since that is aluminum I should be able to get a peice of pipe with the same threads to clean it up before a plug is added again, right? Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Also, while I was at it I looked over the gas regulator on the water heater. There is a "hole" in front of the 'rusted' set screw, to the right of the raised portion - all looking at photo #5 of your photo pictorial. This "hole" on mine was full of something brown/black. Is this some of that famous mud dauber nest stuff? What should be there? Is that a breather hole for the regulator?

Thanks!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy Help: Winterizing with Dead Water Pump

I just got a 31 Soverign and when I went to winterize the water pump was DEO. The trailer is on an island near Seattle Washington and I had to go back home to the Midwest. I opened the drains and tilted the trailer as far as I could but I did not put any anti freeze in. Does anyone out there have a trailer in the Northwest? How cold does it have to be to effect the pipes. I did not remove the water filter also. I have only battery power.

Should I make a special trip out there to install a water pump? Or does anyone know anyone who wants to earn some extra bucks and do the work?

Helpless in Iowa
mstratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
John, Just viewed your photos. GREAT. My question our GT is not like your photos. Sorry to be so "dumb" but how should we proceed. This is our first Airstream and we need direction. Ours is a 1967 Globetrotter. Can you walk us thru? Do you have a by pass unit? Should we have one? How is our GT different? Sorry to be so stupid. But better safe than sorry. Thanks Anne
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Milwaukee area , Wisconsin
Thanks John

I just winterized my 92 and it looked just like yours! Only I forgot about the outside drain - I'll have to open it and let some antifreeze out. I too attached the handy three way gadget. Worked great. For my first time I think I did pretty well. Two Miller's only. Bill
Bilouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #46
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Inman
John, Just viewed your photos. GREAT. My question our GT is not like your photos. Sorry to be so "dumb" but how should we proceed. This is our first Airstream and we need direction. Ours is a 1967 Globetrotter. Can you walk us thru? Do you have a by pass unit? Should we have one? How is our GT different? Sorry to be so stupid. But better safe than sorry. Thanks Anne
anne,

my bypass was factory installed, do you need one? perhaps, they save about 6 gallons of antifreeze on a average trailer. are they absoulutely needed? no, just plan on buying enough extra antifreeze to fill your water heater.

your GT should be similar to most trailers, there may be minor differences in the position of valves.

go ahead and ask away, i'll be glad to help walk you through it!

john
Old 10-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Thanks John, Will view your photos again since most trailers you say are the same. We just need to locate the same valves you have.

Would you install a hot water heater bypass valve system? Thanks again Anne
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:50 AM   #48
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
anne

if you can get to the back of the water heater without much trouble it would be a good investment.

john
Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
John, Can you tell me what I'm suppose to do with the inline water filter under the sink...I do not have a bypass on it. Do I winterize the system with it on and then toss it in the spring and get a new one?? Seems like the right thing to do..just not sure what everyone else does. Also, I'm going to look for the valve kit today...Do I look at an autoparts store for this, plumbing or hardware?

Your post is great and I have had it bookmarked for the last year...now it's time to use it. Thank you!
Ann
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:03 AM   #50
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ann

you should have a plastic cap with an oring on it to blank off the filter.(it is about the same diameter as the filter) you remove the filter and put the bypass cap in it's place. then run antifreeze thru it. i just drain my filter and put it in a ziplock bag in the house for next year. saves some money since the cartriges are about 40 bucks.

i think the winterizing valve and the bypass kit would be best found at a well stocked rv dealer.

john
Old 10-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
No go on the plastic cap for the filter, I know I don't have that..I'll check with the RV dealer for that part also. I just checked with our Napa and Aubuchon stores..no go on the 3 valve kit. Guess I'm off to the RV place...Thanks for your help John
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #52
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My prep for the winter. head south!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hey Michelle,,, best idea for non winterizing if i do say so myself,, wish i could ,,, maybe next year,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Winterizing older vintage coaches

OK ya'll, I'm concerned. My Tradewind hasn't even had a chance to be winterized since it is still at a service center getting an electric jack. I don't know if its indoors or out right now. The Chattanooga forecast just changed tonight to a low of 29 degrees. Days will remain in the 50's-60's, but how likely is pipe damage with 2 or 3 hours of freezing temps? Somebody just pat my hand and tell me everything is going to be OK.

Here's the 1958 Airstream supplement sheet from the VAC website. I have the same in the papers that came with my 1960 TW. 1958 supplements (VAC).pdf
Have any of you early vintage owners followed this same procedure for winterizing? The only modifications I have to my plumbing over the original that I know of is a Sealand Traveler Lite toilet, a new bath vanity faucet, and a new blackwater outlet fitting. I have an aluminum FW tank and copper plumbing with a few PEX repairs by the PO. I've read lots of posts discussing antifreeze in the fresh tanks and supply lines, but Airstream only mentions this for the shower drain line and traps. If I choose clear alcohol, what type is appropriate . . . denatured, isopropyl, moonshine?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #55
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Somebody just pat my hand and tell me everything is going to be OK.
you'll be alright, i have left mine until temps at night hit the teens.

john
Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Now I can exhale

John, thank you! I've been holding my breath hoping to hear something like that. Especially from you, the seasoned winterizing veteran. Many many thanks for a quick response.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
three!

john
Great job john hd.........really helps
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:07 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We are in Michigan and it will get well below freezing and some subzero temperatures perhaps. We have winterized the plumbing and taken out whatever may freeze, but my question is about the wall mount LCD monitors. We have removed it but I am wondering if that is a necessary step in winterizing. Who has, who hasn't? We do not plan to keep the Airstream heated and it sits outside exposed to the weather.

Also anyone have any special tips to quickly warm up a cold mattress? We have a heated mattress pad and that is fine for where it covers but at the head of the bed---BRRRR! Hubby thought making vents for the underbed storage would help warm things up. I am thinking to pop it open until that space warms up.

Anyone have ways they keep toasty when it's cold as heck camping time?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #59
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Rock salt in the black tank

I think I saw a suggestion for putting rock salt in the black tank for winter camping to prevent freezing. Has anyone here tried that? How much did you use and how did it work. I wonder if it wouldnt damage seals and whatnot....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
John, Thanks for the picture of the air adaptor.....This was our first winterizing job and thought I had her all drained....Used the air and got another gallon at least.
STREAMTEAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winterizing