Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2022, 03:55 PM   #1

2020 22' Bambi
Dana Point CA , California
Bambi Trailer cover

Hi There,
I just recently purchased a custom cover for my 22 ft Bambi.
The issue is : How do I get the cover over the roof without getting
on the roof or using a tall ladder. Any and all ideas are appreciated.
Thanks Dale
redcar454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I purchased a Cal Mark cover for my 25' Globetrotter so I had the same issues that you are anticipating. For starters the best solution is to have a friend or your spouse help if possible (mine can't). However, you can get the cover on by yourself. Here's what I do.

Lay out the cover on the garage floor or driveway; use a leaf blower to clean away any dirt or debris first. Then roll it up from back to front. Place a stepladder on either side of the trailer. Haul the rolled up cover up the ladder and fling one end over the top front of the trailer. Now go to the other side to even it up and begin to roll the cover back as far as you can on that side (usually as far as you can reach). Return to the first side and do the same thing. Alternate side to side until the cover is unrolled completely.

It gets easier as you move to the rear of the trailer since there is less cover to work with. The cover for your 22' will be shorter and lighter than the one for my 25' so the whole process should be a little less difficult.

BTW, when removing the cover don't bother trying to roll it up on top of the trailer. Too much stuff in the way. Also, make sure to cover any sharp edges on the trailer with something to avoid abrasion or possible tearing of the cover if it gets caught. I use the kind of split foam designed to insulate outdoor pipes along with a little duct tape to hold it in place.

This all sounds more complicated than it really is. I really like the cover and have had no problems so far. Just make sure you use any straps provided to keep it from flapping in the wind. Good luck.

Edit: Just saw that you mentioned not wanting to use a tall ladder. Hope you don't consider 6 or 8 foot stepladders as tall, because I don't have a clue how you could do it without any ladder at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover on.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	553.5 KB
ID:	422888  

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote