Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Safest way to get rid of wires

Hi, I have these wires sticking out of my bathroom shower wall, and I need to figure out to safety way to put them back in the wall and ensure that they won’t cause any problems. Does anyone have any advise other than just pushing them back through the hole and pretending like they aren’t there. Any info helps, thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	373025
action95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Are they live? If so, you need to trace the circuit.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
yeah, you probably don't want to just push them into the wall.

Especially if the ends are bare and they contact the Al skin, that would cause major problems if they are live or hooked up to something at the other end.

See if you can figure out what they are for, where they go, etc.

You may find you could use them.

They are likely one of just a few possibilities:
  1. AC current for 110v outlets
  2. DC current for lights, or a fan, or exterior marker lights or some other DC appliance or outlet
  3. Control/signal wire for things like tank monitoring systems, etc.
  4. AV wire for things like audio speakers
  5. Less likely: phone wires, old TV antenna wires, etc.

The fact that it is in your shower is puzzling. Is this on the ceiling of your shower where a light or fan might go? Electricity and water usually don't go together with satisfactory results. Perhaps some one here with a similar coach can offer a clue.

I would not trust putting electrical tape on the ends long term bouncing down the road in a sun baked trailer.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
yeah, you probably don't want to just push them into the wall.

Especially if the ends are bare and they contact the Al skin, that would cause major problems if they are live or hooked up to something at the other end.

See if you can figure out what they are for, where they go, etc.

You may find you could use them.

They are likely one of just a few possibilities:
  1. AC current for 110v outlets
  2. DC current for lights, or a fan, or exterior marker lights or some other DC appliance or outlet
  3. Control/signal wire for things like tank monitoring systems, etc.
  4. AV wire for things like audio speakers
  5. Less likely: phone wires, old TV antenna wires, etc.

The fact that it is in your shower is puzzling. Is this on the ceiling of your shower where a light or fan might go? Electricity and water usually don't go together with satisfactory results. Perhaps some one here with a similar coach can offer a clue.

I would not trust putting electrical tape on the ends long term bouncing down the road in a sun baked trailer.

Thank you for the in depth response. Yes, they are live, and I believe they went to a reading light on the other side of the shower wall and the thermostat on the other side of the shower wall. I suppose I could keep taking fuses out of the fuse box until I find the fuse they are connected to and pull that out? I’m thinking that will shut other things down as well though? Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Ok, I see now the hole where the wires would pass through the wall.

I would purchase an inexpensive reading light Or perhaps a USB outlet or some other DC appliance and install that on the other side of the wall. That may very well come in handy.

I think that would be the safest way to deal with the DC lines. It is likely they are on the same circuit as some other lights and so pulling the fuse would cut power to all the other things on the same circuit.

I would also purchase a little bit of Surface mounted plastic wire conduit that you can attach to the wall to hide that little bit of wire run in the shower. If the other wires are indeed thermostat control wires probably you could probably safely tape the ends and hide them inside the conduit.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
If you are thinking about taping it up, I would use heat shrink tubing instead.
DanHogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Yes heat shrink is best over tape. But why not just put a small plastic box over the holes and keep the wires in there. You could even turn it into a feature by incorporating it into a decorative moulding or something. Then ar least you will always have access to them.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:34 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Based on what you said, of the four wire the only one of concern is the yellow wire. It is part of the 12V lighting circuit for the middle of the trailer. You can terminate the wire by cutting and taping the end then you shouldn't have any issue. Just make sure it is insulated good and it wont be a problem. The white wire is a ground wire so not a issue again terminate and insulate.

The other two wires to the thermostat would go directly to the furnace and are a closed circuit with the furnace. They are dead if you have removed the furnace. If you plan on reusing the furnace you will need them as they act as the on/off switch for the furnace. Or you can remove them from the furnace and wire in a new thermostat.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks for all the information. I ended up just pulling the fuse for the yellow line. It didn’t seem to effect anything else I was using. And I will just cut the blue line at the furnace and put the thermostat there. Then I just capped and taped them and put them in the wall.